Jim Irsay passes out cash at camp

A close-up of the front of the United St Getty Images

Perhaps feeling the need to bolster his explanation for always carrying a bunch of cash (which puts him at constant risk of someone trying to rob him), Colts owner Jim Irsay opted to hand out a bunch of greenbacks on Saturday at Colts camp.

Via Andrew Siciliano of NFL Network, Irsay was giving $100 bills to fans who had come to watch practice.

Last month, Irsay produced a briefcase of $100 bills while being interviewed by Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star.  Irsay hoped to prove that there was nothing unusual about having $29,000 in cash with him when police arrested him in March for operating a vehicle under the influence

“You’re talking about someone who is extremely generous, and I say that humbly,” Irsay explained. “That’s the way I try to live my life and it has nothing to do with the law.  What’s been reported out there, there’s been a sensationalizing about things that have nothing to do with the law.  It shouldn’t be an issue.”

It continues to be an issue when it comes to Irsay’s personal safety and security, and it’s likewise something that the league office may not regard as being appropriate behavior for an owner.  With Commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly considering a suspension for Irsay due to his arrest, it makes a lot more sense to keep a very low profile.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
62 Responses to “Jim Irsay passes out cash at camp”
  1. goraidersgospurs says: Jul 26, 2014 6:10 PM

Drinking again! !!

2. truthfactory says: Jul 26, 2014 6:11 PM

Irsay has done this in years past even before his arrest. Just sayin…

3. britishraven says: Jul 26, 2014 6:12 PM

This guy is really really weird

4. brokebackbrees says: Jul 26, 2014 6:13 PM

Fat wad of 100 dollar bills in one hand, giant bottle of Jim beam in the other hand.

5. crippled4life says: Jul 26, 2014 6:14 PM

He sounds like a great guy.

6. amgdds says: Jul 26, 2014 6:15 PM

I don’t know how to put this, but I’m kind of a big deal. People know me. I’m very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

7. j0esixpack says: Jul 26, 2014 6:17 PM

Yes – Jim Irsay frequently has his staff send out Press Releases proclaiming how humble he is

This is true (It’s also true that when you are a billionaire, $30k IS indeed pocket change – making that “humble generosity” look a little less generous.

Any guy making $50k a year who donates more than $2 is more generous than Jim Irsay donating $10k. Do the math.

8. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 26, 2014 6:18 PM

“Want some of these? My Dad gave them to me.”.

9. radar8 says: Jul 26, 2014 6:18 PM

Give me a break. Irsay had that money to buy drugs. Nobody dries around with a briefcase full of money because they’re “generous”

What a load of cr@p.

10. simonkuntz says: Jul 26, 2014 6:21 PM

It’s absurd how a guy can get criticized for being generous.

11. raidingtexas says: Jul 26, 2014 6:24 PM

Now I want to see Haslam passing out rolled up $20 bills at the Browns practice.

12. mannyiac says: Jul 26, 2014 6:30 PM

He passed out hundreds and then passed out.

13. hakunamangata says: Jul 26, 2014 6:31 PM

maybe he was trying to recruit a RB

14. fletcher08 says: Jul 26, 2014 6:34 PM

Who cares how much cash a guy carries ? It isn’t up to roger goodell or anyone else.

15. numberoneinthehoodg says: Jul 26, 2014 6:40 PM

Straight cash homey.

16. nfloracle says: Jul 26, 2014 6:41 PM

I’m going to send Jim my address to see if he won’t supplement my little social security check with a monthly donation of ten Ben Franklins until I croak.

17. dickensbslim says: Jul 26, 2014 6:47 PM

Hey, Jim’s a smart man – the hundred will do more good in my wallet than in the evidence locker.

18. pftisfulloftrolls says: Jul 26, 2014 6:57 PM

When he gets robbed, no one should be surprised.

19. colv says: Jul 26, 2014 7:05 PM

Wow what a scum bag. Makes Rice look like an angle.

20. joewill85 says: Jul 26, 2014 7:07 PM

Well it’s better than keeping it next to the prescription meds.

21. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 26, 2014 7:08 PM

My identical twin brother with the mustache and I thank you for the $200, I’ll send my pregnant twin sister over later. And you’re never going to believe this, but she’s carrying triplets!

22. wny49er says: Jul 26, 2014 7:18 PM

A fool and his money still go their separate ways.

23. donnywb says: Jul 26, 2014 7:18 PM

Haslam would act like he was going to hand out a bill but somehow you wouldn’t up with the money.

24. patssox says: Jul 26, 2014 7:20 PM

“You’re talking about someone who is extremely generous, and I say that humbly.”

Irony noted.

25. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 26, 2014 7:28 PM

Notably Jim was giving bills to young ladies in the crowd, and hey, if they follow him back out to the car, well, that’s up to them…..

26. leagueobservr says: Jul 26, 2014 7:33 PM

Phew!!! For a minute there I thought the headline read: “Jim Irsay passes out and crashes.” ;-D

27. jwhitejagsquad says: Jul 26, 2014 7:34 PM

My dad always told me not to pick up money you find on the ground, it could be dirty and used for drug use. Makes sense now.

28. iamdinguskhan says: Jul 26, 2014 7:54 PM

LOL on the above posts!!!

29. jvillenole says: Jul 26, 2014 7:55 PM

Could you imagine if the Colts needed a QB and drafted Johnny Manziel?

Irsay and Manziel would be epic…..

30. cags777 says: Jul 26, 2014 7:57 PM

I don’t know what’s more entertaining: Irsay’s tweets or handing out benjamins to fans while painting himself a victim of the media?

31. iamdinguskhan says: Jul 26, 2014 8:00 PM

I got to start going to Colts training camp…where else can you get some drunk billionaire giving you money
    Very cool

32. chunkderrrty says: Jul 26, 2014 8:01 PM

@colv like a right or acute angle?

33. 1rockyracoon says: Jul 26, 2014 9:29 PM

This is not the actions of a sane person. The NFL should act quickly to make sure he doesn’t do something that will completely embarrass the league.

34. puntonfirstdown says: Jul 26, 2014 9:37 PM

This guy will not die of old age.

35. puntonfirstdown says: Jul 26, 2014 9:41 PM

Just trying to make something up to cover his behavior. He should be fined. suspended, and drug tested every day. Then have Adam Silver take his team away from him.

36. buffaloisadumpsterandtheirfansaremorons says: Jul 26, 2014 9:42 PM

Idiot drunk.

37. pastabelly101 says: Jul 26, 2014 9:48 PM

People who carry wads of cash use it for drugs, hookers, gambling or a combination of those. Any other explanation is a lie.

38. haaaaasoooooo says: Jul 26, 2014 9:55 PM

@1rockyracoon- TOO LATE!

39. drs12522 says: Jul 26, 2014 10:36 PM

WHAT A CLOWN! He really thinks NFL fans are naïve and stupid! LMAO CLOWNBOY!

40. sportsbastard says: Jul 26, 2014 10:39 PM

Pretty much the funniest commented PFT post in years.. Props.

41. babygaga19 says: Jul 26, 2014 11:19 PM

How does such a sick man make so much money? Why? I’ll tell you why. His Daddy made it!

42. kd75 says: Jul 27, 2014 12:11 AM

Johnny Clipboard took that Hundy, rolled it up and then went to Irsay’s office to blow a few lines.

43. thegreatgabbert says: Jul 27, 2014 12:14 AM

Jim was bullied so much in school he packs around a suitcase full of money and hands it out before anyone stuffs him in a locker or hangs him from the coat rack by his shirt collar.

44. BIGGSHAUN says: Jul 27, 2014 12:50 AM

“What’s wrong with being caught with money in strange situations?”

-Johnny Manziel

45. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jul 27, 2014 1:03 AM

Irsay, Jr. always struck me as a very nice guy with a big heart … and an addiction problem.

Big-hearted nice guys who have addiction problems are much more sympathetic characters than cold-hearted d-bags with addiction problems.

So many of this group in here commenting is slamming Jim Irsay way too hard here. He’s not knocking out women, packing brass knuckles or going all “Donald Sterling” on anyone.

Jimmy Irsay is colorful, generous, unique, has personality — and he’s also struggling with some demons. The guy needs help and support, and let’s see that he gets it.

I recall when Coach Pagano was battling cancer — Jimmy Irsay was the first guy to have his back in every form and fashion. Maybe some of you hyper-critical clowns should remember that before you type in your douchie little comments.

46. gborange says: Jul 27, 2014 1:19 AM

His money and his team. As long as his bills are paid, he should be able to do whatever he wants with his money. Any criminal action should be between him and the law. It shouldn’t have anything to do with the NFL.

47. brucetrimble says: Jul 27, 2014 1:22 AM

This is pretrial window dressing

48. wyrdawg says: Jul 27, 2014 1:23 AM

Well. Uh.. .

Well.. Uhhh..

Wait.. he “completed” rehab already. So, he’s REALLY doing this on his on volition… right?

Mr. Goodell. PLEASE put this guy out of his misery.

Wow…. just… wow….

49. drekomp says: Jul 27, 2014 1:35 AM

I’m kind of torn on the briefcase full of cash and might actually believe him. He’s clearly not a genius but I don’t think any billionaire is dumb enough to do his own drug deal.

Perhaps we’re dealing with the outlier?

50. mysterytonite says: Jul 27, 2014 2:12 AM

Is somebody going to drug test this guy? If he turns up dirty, suspend him for 4 games. If he so happens to knock out somebody, reduce it to 2 games.

51. cletuswithat says: Jul 27, 2014 2:26 AM

I think it would be a really good idea to hand out those 100s at the preseason games seeing that the nfl charged me way too much for those worthless tickets in the first place

52. ddogdaddy says: Jul 27, 2014 2:36 AM

A player making millions of $ a year, goes to a nightclub decides to have a few drinks and thinks it it would be a good idea to take a wad of cash and “make it rain” to impress his friends. Happens all the time. Now we have a NFL owner who is worth billions decides to take a wad of cash and thinks it would be a good idea to “make it rain” for some fans of his team at training camp. The difference is in 10 years the player that was making millions is now broke, working at Tire Barn and is suing the NFL for something while the NFL owner that was worth billions is still worth billions. So there you go.

53. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 27, 2014 3:29 AM

The standard brief case can hold hold 500K to 600K in hundreds.

The standard stack of one hundred bills will fill a pocket. In a suit, it is easy to carry 50K in cash and no one know it.

Paying by cash keeps the government, banks, your competition, the press, and anyone else from knowing your spending patterns.

Paying by cash is always the best policy.

54. kicksave1980 says: Jul 27, 2014 4:17 AM

Say whatever you want about Irsay and his problems, but it’s pretty cool to start giving fans a little walkin’ around money just for showing up to watch practice.

55. youngosays says: Jul 27, 2014 4:32 AM

thinks he’s a rapper making it rain

56. sidepull says: Jul 27, 2014 6:03 AM

Pitiful.

57. olcap says: Jul 27, 2014 7:25 AM

Just saw this story on one of the major network Sunday shows, and it looks like possibly rod and the rest of the gang will probably be telling Mr. Irsay to stop doing such things, as they call attention to the facts of this case.

This makes it much harder to sweep this under the rug as they had intended.

58. olcap says: Jul 27, 2014 7:26 AM

Rod=Rog

59. animalkindness says: Jul 27, 2014 8:35 AM

Well I am not surprised because one of my second thoughts after hearing the Ray Rice decision was…I wonder if Roger is getting ready to make a similar decision on Irsay? And Irsay is not an idiot or a clown. Pretty sure this was staged just for the purpose of saying he always carries this kind of cash around.

A slap on the wrist won’t do for this. I know he didn’t but he very well could have killed or injured (Irsay’d) someone while under the influence.

60. bobzilla1001 says: Jul 27, 2014 12:52 PM

Peyton’s former drunken, idiot owner.

61. infectorman says: Jul 27, 2014 3:17 PM

Were I a billionaire hooked on script drugs and I needed to score, I would have any number of my lackeys go out and do it for me.

That’s just me though……and….only if I were a billionaire….hooked on drugs….which I am neither…

62. starderup says: Jul 27, 2014 9:08 PM

Reminds me I got to put my briefcase full of benjamins in the car so I don’t forget to bring it to work. Thanks, irsay.