Texans offensive line dedicates season to Quessenberry

Quessenberry Getty Images

As Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry prepares to endure his third round of chemotherapy, his teammates have found a way to honor him.

“Absolutely, we have dedicated this season to him as a line,” left tackle Duane Brown told FOX 26 and the Houston Chronicle.  “He’s in the ultimate battle right now.”

Center Chris Myers intends to take it a step farther, finding ways to raise money and awareness for lymphoma.

“With everything going on with David right now this season is obviously going to be dedicated to him,” Myers said.  “He’s on our minds 24-7, and that’s not going to stop. . . . It’s going to go throughout the whole season and for us to be able to do something special this season would be huge for him.”

“Hey, every night we go to bed, we say a prayer for the man,” guard Ben Jones said. “Every day we try to reach out to him because he means a lot  to us.  We want him to know we’re behind him.”

The support from his teammates has had a major impact on Quessenberry.

“It’s hard to put into words what it means to have the support of your brothers on the team,” Quessenberry said. “It’s humbling.  Truly it’s an honor.  I want to do them proud. I want to come back stronger and come back and help these guys when I do come back eventually.  “This year I got blind-sided getting diagnosed with cancer.  Just knowing that my teammates and my brothers got my back is truly something special.”

A sixth-round pick in 2013, Quessenberry was diagnosed with lymphoma in June.  We wish him the best as he continues the battle.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Texans offensive line dedicates season to Quessenberry”
  1. numberoneinthehoodg says: Jul 27, 2014 6:14 PM

Manziel dedicated his last line to Quessenberry as well.

Q will beat this. In my prayers. Cancer sucks.

2. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Jul 27, 2014 6:17 PM

From someone who lost their dad to cancer recently and whose dog was diagnosed with end stage cancer this week I wish the best for you my friend. It would be nice to hear about a positive outcome to this story. I hate cancer so bad that there’s not even words for how much I hate it

3. Eli Pacheco says: Jul 27, 2014 6:27 PM

Love to see what being a teammate is all about here. We’ve all got your back, Q.

4. luxinterior78 says: Jul 27, 2014 8:45 PM

I wish nothing but the best for the man. I’ve seen how bad cancer can be, and I hope for infinite remission. This Jags fan hopes he will be back on the field stronger than ever!

5. selliott504 says: Jul 27, 2014 9:20 PM

Wishing the best for him and his family. Good luck to the Texans you have a worthy opponent that you are fighting against.

6. jetsbandwagon says: Jul 27, 2014 10:29 PM

#JetsBandwagon
    #TexansDumpsterFire

7. jetsbandwagon says: Jul 27, 2014 10:30 PM

#JetsDynasty
    #WeHaveOneTexansHaveNone

8. joshhogan73 says: Jul 28, 2014 12:53 AM

I didn’t know that Dan Quisenberry played football too.

9. juliusanonymous says: Jul 28, 2014 2:51 AM

Mario Lemeux and Lance Armstrong are both lymphoma survivors, as I am myself. It is beatable. A young healthy athlete like Quessenberry will beat it. Keep that fight up Big Q, lymphoma sucks and the chemo is brutal, but you can beat it!