Steven Jackson bought into his own hype last season

Steven Jackson AP

Steven Jackson was used to carrying a bad Rams team, so it’s perhaps natural he thought he’d be the thing that pushed an already good Falcons team over the top.

Instead, the season was as much of a disaster for him as for them, with his streak of 1,000-yard seasons ending at eight, and the Falcons falling miserably to 4-12.

“There were quite a few of the years in St. Louis when I shouldered a large burden, and I knew going into every season what I was going into,” Jackson said, via Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “When I came here last year, I kind of believed my own hype. The team was so close to going to the Super Bowl, and I thought I was going to be the missing link. Then reality slaps you. It’s still a team sport.

“This year I know I don’t have to shoulder the burden of carrying the franchise. I’m not the missing piece, I’m just one piece. I feel comfortable knowing that I can still compete at a high level. But all of the unnecessary stress is gone.”

The Falcons actually need Jackson to be a bigger piece this year. With tight end Tony Gonzalez retired, there’s a big offensive void that someone needs to fill.

Being well would be a good first step, since Jackson’s career-low numbers last year were attributed to a hamstring problem that bothered him throughout. But the Falcons also fixed their disaster of an offensive line, so the cumulative result should be a better chance for Jackson to get back to being himself.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Steven Jackson bought into his own hype last season”
  1. 700levelvet says: Jul 28, 2014 9:41 AM

A tough SOB who sadly fell into the same trap as Gonzalez.. Never to put a exclamation point on a stellar career…

2. rickywatts80 says: Jul 28, 2014 9:53 AM

“Being well would be a good first step”

That would be the only good first step, which SJax no longer has. Stay away fantasy players.

3. computojon says: Jul 28, 2014 10:05 AM

A RB at age 31 may have difficulty getting back to being himself.

4. thedownwardspiral says: Jul 28, 2014 10:07 AM

Only smart players/teams/fans know that nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Especially when you call your shot at the SB BEFORE the season.

Typical of the Falcons…

5. officialgame says: Jul 28, 2014 10:38 AM

All this time I thought he bought into Krispy Kreme.

6. osiris33 says: Jul 28, 2014 10:47 AM

He’s been done for 4 or 5 years. Anybody could see it. Retire dude, you’re finished.

7. bigdinla says: Jul 28, 2014 12:03 PM

Falcons fixed their OL? When? Still weak at OC and RG.

8. ravenswhat says: Jul 28, 2014 12:14 PM

Or maybe he’s just old?

9. beavertonsteve says: Jul 28, 2014 1:25 PM

A healthy S-Jax is still a top 30 RB in the NFL. His pass pro skills are still top notch and he’s still effective out of the backfield as a receiver. As far as his running ability he hasn’t been running by defenses for a long time, but he’s still able to carry the ball effectively and break some tackles. The big question is how healthy he can be. Without injury I’d say 200 carries for 850 yards isn’t out of the question.

10. aliowlsfalcons19 says: Jul 29, 2014 5:35 PM

still weak at rg? we sign jon asamoah in free agency who helped pave the way for jamaal charles for the last few years. the centre is the only ? mark i have but hes entering his 3rd year and 2nd as the starting centre so we’ll have to wait n see.

11. gammynomnom says: Jul 30, 2014 10:07 PM

so he CARRIED a rams team even tho they never had a winning season while he was there?