Dwight Freeney still shaking the rust off

Houston Texans v San Diego Chargers Getty Images

San Diego Chargers linebacker Dwight Freeney appeared in just four games in his debut season in Southern California before a torn quad tendon tear ended his year.

Freeney is back at practice for the Chargers in training camp but fully admits he has some ground to cover before he feels he’s back to himself on a football field.

According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Freeney is working to shake the rust off.

“My last time actually playing football was in September, so I have a lot of rust I’m trying to get off,” Freeney said. “That’s what this process is about. That’s why you come out here.”

Freeney started all four games but had just two tackles and 0.5 sacks before his season came to an end. Freeney is entering his 13th NFL season and is coming off a pretty significant injury. The Chargers hope Freeney can shake the rust off enough to be a significant contributor this fall.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
12 Responses to “Dwight Freeney still shaking the rust off”
  1. benderxflexo says: Jul 31, 2014 2:37 AM

Ahh those torn quad tendon tears will get you haha

2. tahnoonzee says: Jul 31, 2014 4:14 AM

He will dominate and put Peyton on his back this year.

3. joetoronto says: Jul 31, 2014 4:47 AM

He’s all done and perfect for the ringless and hopeless Chargers.

Choo choo!

4. andrewluck12 says: Jul 31, 2014 4:50 AM

The words Dwight freeny chargers linebacker still sound odd. He will always be a colt though and I really wish him the best in the rest of his hall of fame career

5. Indybear says: Jul 31, 2014 6:21 AM

He had lost quite a bit before he even signed with the Chargers. Wish him the best, but I don’t see this happening.

6. therealtruth210 says: Jul 31, 2014 7:02 AM

why would he want to play for one of the worst franchises in football who has yet to win a Super Bowl

7. sportfan2 says: Jul 31, 2014 7:05 AM

Great player but he’s done. Time to hang it up.

8. flvikesfan says: Jul 31, 2014 7:40 AM

Is this guy ever not coming back from an injury??

9. chargersdiehard says: Jul 31, 2014 10:13 AM

We have great depth at OLB so Freeney wont be asked to play every snap. Chargers will be just fine. Back to the Raiders moving to San Antonio.

10. humb0lt says: Jul 31, 2014 1:14 PM

Freeney adds veteran leadership to of what should be a pretty good group of OLBs in Ingram and Attaochu, and possibly CFL standout Cordarro Law. The Bolts played most of the season without any of these players last season. This year the pass rush will be significantly better than last season. Freeney will be a spot player who will come into the game with fresh legs, which is ideal for this time in his career.

11. joetoront0 says: Aug 1, 2014 10:25 AM

I am such a jerk. I apologize for the pointless and meanspirited comment, above. I am an embarassment to Toronto (my real name is Rob Ford).

12. pbeddoe says: Aug 2, 2014 12:15 AM

Does it really matter, I mean they are the Chargers… So mediocrity for them is success…