Seahawks bumped up Marshawn Lynch’s 2014 salary

Marshawn Lynch, CJ Spiller AP

The Seahawks got their starting running back in camp today, and Marshawn Lynch got something out of his brief holdout.

A league source tells PFT that the Seahawks agreed to bump up Lynch’s base salary to persuade Lynch to report.

Under Lynch’s previous contract, he was due to make a $5 million base salary this year, plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and he could have earned another $500,000 in incentives if he had rushed for 1,500 yards. Now Lynch gets a base salary of $6 million (meaning the Seahawks effectively guaranteed the $1 million he previously would have had to earn), plus they’re taking $500,000 that he had been scheduled to get paid in 2015 and giving it to him now instead. In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year.

The Seahawks also agreed not to enforce the fines that they were entitled to dock him from the work he has already missed. We’re also hearing that the league office was pressuring the Seahawks to go after some of Lynch’s signing bonus money if he refused to report, as teams are permitted to do under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. But the Seahawks resisted that.

Instead, the Seahawks and Lynch reached a deal amenable to both sides, and Lynch is in camp, making more money in 2014 than he was scheduled to make under his old deal.

Permalink 84 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
84 Responses to “Seahawks bumped up Marshawn Lynch’s 2014 salary”
  1. joeflaccoallday says: Jul 31, 2014 7:41 PM

That picture is perfect.

2. 5to46hawkfan says: Jul 31, 2014 7:43 PM

I’m gonna hold out from going to my job….. Wonder if I will get more money…. What????? I’m fired…. But marshawn….

3. babygaga19 says: Jul 31, 2014 7:44 PM

And the rich get richer!

4. 5to46hawkfan says: Jul 31, 2014 7:44 PM

But I only make 5 mil boss… How the f:$& am I supposed to live on that bullcrap?

5. pencilmonkeymagic says: Jul 31, 2014 7:46 PM

The League wanted Seattle to enforce the fines?
    Who do they think they are??

Glad Goodell isn’t GM for the Seahawks.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Jul 31, 2014 7:47 PM

See now that wasn’t so hard to resolve, why all the drama?

7. barsfordays says: Jul 31, 2014 7:50 PM

McCoy over Lynch any day

8. chipperkelly says: Jul 31, 2014 7:55 PM

So he took money from next year and moved it up this year as part of the deal? Lynch’s next hold out coming in 364 days and counting…

9. hugeredskinsfan says: Jul 31, 2014 7:56 PM

He’s just trying to make as much as possible before he retires this year or maybe next. This holdout was a success in my opinion.

10. angulocarlos1 says: Jul 31, 2014 7:56 PM

Cry babies get rewarded

11. seatownballers says: Jul 31, 2014 7:57 PM

Gave him rice’s money that he forfeited. Genius

12. pioniere says: Jul 31, 2014 7:58 PM

Whew, good. Now he can slack off and won’t have to work to earn his money.

13. osiris33 says: Jul 31, 2014 8:00 PM

McCoy who?

Lynch will be cut or traded at the end of the year if Michael holds up to a heavier workload.

14. explosionsauce says: Jul 31, 2014 8:05 PM

Sat out a few practices and turned a bunch of hypothetical money into guaranteed money. Small victory but a victory nonetheless.

15. snoqualmieterry says: Jul 31, 2014 8:06 PM

Pete and John caved in. Now, every time a player under contract thinks they deserve more, they will hold out. If Lynch had a bad year would he refund some money? This will open the flood gates for more greedy players. This reminds me of the year Revis held our after his rookie year and. The Jets redid his contract. You should never give into blackmail.

16. NFLisnotreality says: Jul 31, 2014 8:07 PM

Betcha if he doesn’t perform this year the Hawks cut him loose. He is nearing the Running Back age limit of 30. Would not be surprised to see the Hawks trade him or use him for bait next season to recoup the advance in pay they gave him this year.

17. Most of you would be rapturous if your team won just one measly Super Bowl. We won it once, then again, and again, and again, yet again, oh, look, another one. You shrivel in our shadow. We define greatness. We built the NFL. We are the Steelers. says: Jul 31, 2014 8:12 PM

Bell > Lynch. Facts are facts.

18. seahawksnation12godsteam says: Jul 31, 2014 8:13 PM

Update: Fellow 12s,
    I have parked my teal and blue windstar van outside of Century Link Field. Even though the parking lot was chained and locked shut, I managed to weld my way through. It is so vital that I camp here. Last night I had a vision that Russell Wilson told me how important my van was, and how I am the “Chosen 12″ to represent how hardcore of a fan base we truly are. It brings me great honor that he chose me to be the face of Seahawks Nation. Come down here, as we can play our 2014-2023 Super Bowl celebrations.

#MyWifeLeftMe
    #HardCore12thManNation
    #AllahuAkbar
    #ChosenOne
    #SeahawksMinivan

19. 12thman84 says: Jul 31, 2014 8:14 PM

And that is how a real front office deals with a star player. Take note Santa Clara fans…

Go Hawks

20. seahawksnation12godsteam says: Jul 31, 2014 8:14 PM

Update: Fellow 12s,
    I have parked my teal and blue windstar van outside of Century Link Field. Even though the parking lot was chained and locked shut, I managed to weld my way through. It is so vital that I camp here. Last night I had a vision that Russell Wilson told me how important my van was, and how I am the “Chosen 12″ to represent how hardcore of a fan base we truly are. It brings me great honor that he chose me to be the face of Seahawks Nation. Come down here, as we can plan our 2014-2023 Super Bowl celebrations.

#MyWifeLeftMe
    #HardCore12thManNation
    #AllahuAkbar
    #ChosenOne
    #SeahawksMinivan

21. u4iadman says: Jul 31, 2014 8:15 PM

Good for both sides, well done, professionally handled.

Cant say same for 49ers.

22. blackbug99 says: Jul 31, 2014 8:21 PM

He’s behaved better in Seattle than he ever did here in Buffalo, and he’s put up some numbers for them. He won’t be HOF material, but I have no issues with him putting more green in the bank.

23. seatownballers says: Jul 31, 2014 8:21 PM

I hope your mini van doesn’t have the words “free candy” on the outside. Just saying

24. nine49er says: Jul 31, 2014 8:23 PM

Schnider realized Russell Wislon would be Doug Flutie without Marshawn back there.

25. lennydpocketqb says: Jul 31, 2014 8:23 PM

Write it down. The Seahawks have just locked up ring number 2 with this move.

26. cjweber5187 says: Jul 31, 2014 8:29 PM

$6.5 Mil for a season of football?
    Something that I did for fun for 6 years?

Must be nice..

If only I ran a 4.4 and not a 444.4…..

27. Stiller43 says: Jul 31, 2014 8:31 PM

Bad precedent. Should have said “report, or were not even talking” at the very least

28. higheriqthanyou says: Jul 31, 2014 8:31 PM

Lynch was smart. No way is he rushing for 1500 yards because they’ll be much more diverse. He will get fewer carries but be more effective per carry.

29. shatho1 says: Jul 31, 2014 8:33 PM

this will backfire right in their face

30. patsbrat says: Jul 31, 2014 8:39 PM

Cool. Contract stuff aside Marshawn is just a fun player to watch.

Unleash the Beast Mode!

31. VondyP says: Jul 31, 2014 8:39 PM

Needed more cones to protect his Lambo

32. wimpyburgers says: Jul 31, 2014 8:41 PM

The contract details show that Marshawn has an incentive that kicks in at 1500 yds. In this offense he most probably won’t get that many yards. He only got 1257 yards last year. (This could explain his attitude when he showed the finger to the sidelines after they called a play for someone else’s number last year.)

This recalibration makes for a good deal that leaves the Team’s options open for next year, Marshawn gets more money this year which he certainly feels he could achieve if the Seahawks used him more, and everyone can focus now on winning it all again.

33. jdrewsy says: Jul 31, 2014 8:44 PM

BEAST MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. squackduckhawk says: Jul 31, 2014 8:45 PM

Someone better tell Frank Gore that the age limit for running backs is 30, because he didn’t get the memo.

35. uglydingo says: Jul 31, 2014 8:46 PM

Seahawk GM Schneider proclaimed that Lynch must honor his contract and there would be no new contract. Every media commentator said that Lynch is wasting his time and that he would return with his tail between his tree trunk legs, but it sounds to me like Beastmode just got an extra $1M. I would interpret that as a win. Congratulations Marshawn.

36. jshawaii22 says: Jul 31, 2014 8:52 PM

So… basically they gave him Sidney’s 1.5m cap space when Sidney retired. The 12′s offered that up last week.

Beast, you know he doesn’t practice so it really didn’t matter. He’s the AI of the NFL.

I hope you finished your movie, Marshawn. That second ring is going to look nice on you next year.

Thanks Beast and welcome back!

js

37. claymatthewshairplugs says: Jul 31, 2014 9:01 PM

How’s he gonna feed his family!!!!!

- Latrell Sprewell

38. pittsburghdamned says: Jul 31, 2014 9:02 PM

All that tough talk, then the Hawks cave in.

Ha Ha

39. jmblosser82 says: Jul 31, 2014 9:02 PM

Teams should enforce hold out fines. A player gets mad when they “out perform” the contract they signed and want more money or get mad when they get cut when they under perform. How many times did Revis hold out? Work out the best possible deal, play it out, 9 times out of 10 an owner/GM will take care of that player when the time comes.

40. qdog112 says: Jul 31, 2014 9:04 PM

5to46hawkfan says:
    Jul 31, 2014 7:43 PM
    *******************
    Guess you’re not as valuable as you think. Bring home a championship and get yourself some leverage.

You act like you don’t have the right to hold out. This is America. If you’re the best fry cook, they’ll give you a raise.

41. titimium says: Jul 31, 2014 9:10 PM

Cool Coach Pete is a winner again! He probably just talked to Nut Job and reminded him how cool a coach he is to play for. He probably gave him a great motivational speech too. Which included waiving fines and a slight raise. Not sure if there is a improvement in his dental plan yet.

42. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jul 31, 2014 9:17 PM

5to46hawkfan says:
    Jul 31, 2014 7:43 PM

——————–

Here we go again, someone comparing shift manager at Walgreens to the career of a professional athlete…

43. unislaya says: Jul 31, 2014 9:19 PM

And nothing reported of the potential suspension from his DUI guilty plea…

#mediabias

44. kkalama1 says: Jul 31, 2014 9:26 PM

Bad news for the saints, but gonna be tough as heck for the seahawks. Everybody is out to get em, but I believe in them

45. nflfan4now says: Jul 31, 2014 9:29 PM

I know Lynch has done well since he left the Bills, but it was still a great drop for them.
    Contrast his situation to the Bill’s extending Fred Jackson’s contract a year, no fuss, no muss, a guy who was happy to sign and has been a tremendous ROLE MODEL for both his teammates and ton’s of young fans around the area.
    For the millions they make, “role model” should be a key factor!

46. bronco1st says: Jul 31, 2014 9:31 PM

Lynch will take the season off, now that he’s gotten paid. They aren’t called SeaSquawks for nothing.

47. postaldude2012 says: Jul 31, 2014 9:33 PM

Glad Buffalo got rid of that crybaby!

48. officialgame says: Jul 31, 2014 9:34 PM

Caved into a star player. Not a good thing for the organization going forward in dealing with other contracts.

49. shayeezy says: Jul 31, 2014 9:38 PM

he’s going to do the same thing next year.

50. montrealraider says: Jul 31, 2014 9:47 PM

Maybe he wanted more but its a good ending. The key of solving these issues is both sides feel like they won something.

51. seahawkfanfrom1970s says: Jul 31, 2014 9:48 PM

This is what a PROFESSIONAL NFL front office looks like. Unlike a hilarious laughingstock outfit. The Minnesota Vikings come immediately to mind.

52. thebirdofprey2 says: Jul 31, 2014 9:49 PM

Anyone in the know can see that Lynch is not with this team next year due to the way John Schneider and Pete do things. Beast Mode basically getting his salary for next year moved up. Christine Michael I hope he plays on Sundays the way he practices because the guy is dynamic. Lynch has another 1200 yard season in him no doubt in my mind.

53. donnymacjack says: Jul 31, 2014 10:02 PM

Nice to see a classy organization treat a guy firmly but with sensibility.

54. beastmode5150 says: Jul 31, 2014 10:02 PM

Good lord some of you are dumb. He held out knowing he was slightly underpaid for his place in the RB list. Those of you commenting that only see highlights on espn and NFL, PLEASE go away. He deserves it, he is the hardest runner in the league, along with AP. This doesn’t set a darn precedent, doesn’t make him greedy, does t mean P&J “caved” none of that. This happens everywhere. Some of you need to switch to watching basket weaving or water polo.

55. purpleguy says: Jul 31, 2014 10:13 PM

Hey, RBs have a short shelf life and teams don’t hesitate to release them even before their contract is up — based on that it’s hard to fault the guy for grabbing as much green as he can when he can.

56. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jul 31, 2014 10:16 PM

lynch got some money and management got some kind of deniability. all played their cards appropriately. much cheaper to kick in a million and solve a problem before it happens.

57. silverandblack052099 says: Jul 31, 2014 10:16 PM

How is it that “In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year” when he also gets “$500,000 in per-game roster bonuses”?

If he stays healthy:

+6.5
    ———-
    = $14.5M

58. myhawks1976 says: Jul 31, 2014 10:21 PM

pioniere says:
    Jul 31, 2014 7:58 PM
    Whew, good. Now he can slack off and won’t have to work to earn his money.

32 44
    ————————————————-

Well yeah, you know… because he was such a slouch the past two seasons when he was in the beginning of a four year deal right?

This is the NFL son, you gotta earn your money every year. Limited amounts of guaranteed money and Marshawn knows he very well could be a free agent next season.

That comment was ridiculous.

59. packmanfan says: Jul 31, 2014 10:23 PM

Knock out your girl friend. Just miss two games.
    Show up late. Forget about the fines.
    Are we sure that Badhell is still the commish?

60. myhawks1976 says: Jul 31, 2014 10:33 PM

*teams

61. goldbloodedindfw says: Jul 31, 2014 11:29 PM

I know this article is about Marshawn Lynch but seriously did anyone know you could have a paragraph for a user name before the steeler guy came along? Plus its also linked to the steelers website… This guy might be the ultimate troll…

62. philyeagles5 says: Jul 31, 2014 11:56 PM

like all other players, hes just trying to feed his family.

63. claymus1 says: Aug 1, 2014 12:33 AM

Just got his 2015 money moved up to this year. I think he will retire after this season and wanted to maximize his earnings on the way out…cant blame him for that and I am glad that the Beast and the team figured it out . Mutual respect. With this out of the way….GO HAWKS!

64. kylexitron says: Aug 1, 2014 1:02 AM

Everyone acting like Seattle caved is hilarious. The money is nothing with the leagues richest owner and all they did was take half a mill off next years cap and make this years cap more predictable.

win for both sides.

65. RegisHawk says: Aug 1, 2014 1:19 AM

Basically, they took a million off the back end and put it in 2014, so everyone’s happy.

If only the 49ers could settle VD & Boone as easily.

66. paastahtroy says: Aug 1, 2014 2:26 AM

Wow… A lot of ignorant fans on here…at least the ones who post.

67. BigAlHeBDMan says: Aug 1, 2014 2:59 AM

Jul 31, 2014 8:12 PM
    Bell > Lynch. Facts are facts.

I guess you weren’t born during the stealers 1st 40 years when they were the doormats of the league.

68. Kevin Lanflisi's Rosebud says: Aug 1, 2014 3:04 AM

And now he’s going to hold out next season because of the $500K that got advanced to this season won’t be there for him next season.

69. brownsmakemecrazy says: Aug 1, 2014 5:03 AM

Seahawks class > NFL league office scumbags

70. 1historian says: Aug 1, 2014 7:06 AM

“This will open the floodgates for more greedy players.”

True

The players are greedy, the owners are greedy.

True.

Whose money are they greedy for?

The fans’ money.

True – yesterday today and tomorrow and forever.

NOBODY makes you go to the games, buy the way overpriced booze, buy the way overpriced souvenirs, buy the way overpriced season tickets (after paying for a personal seat license), buy a way overpriced game shirt (how much do you think it actually costs to make one?) or any of that.

71. baddegg says: Aug 1, 2014 7:20 AM

Seattle fans one week ago:

Seattle has a $ plan and they have to stick with it.
    Lynch stinks anyway.
    Turbin and Michael are younger and better.
    Next man up.
    Seattle manages their $ situation unlike the rest of the loser teams.

Seattle fans now:

Oh yeah! Beast Mode is back! He was far better than any other RB and Seattle did the right thing paying him. We’re the best!!! (12th man that is…)

72. jeffesky says: Aug 1, 2014 8:05 AM

This was a win win as the contracts writen next year will be high for both Russ W and Russ O in addition to KJ,BOBY,MS,BM to name a few. Next years gona hurt and if Lynch were to stay it would be a shock. I see him going somewhere in a trade with one year left on his deal so this year is important. With RW at 20mil a yr were gona loose some guys.

73. seadawgs72 says: Aug 1, 2014 8:16 AM

I said it from the beginning that all he wanted was a gesture of appreciation. This isn’t life changing money but a veer small bump. And i agree with one of the above commenters that Lynch knew he wasn’t hitting 1500 yards this year so he got all of his incentives guaranteed. Theoretically most of his raise was money he could’ve gotten anyway had he hit the incentives. I’ll jay glad he’s back. Welcome back Beast!

74. diveleft says: Aug 1, 2014 8:35 AM

When I first read the headline of this story I thought it was going to end like this:

“Seahawks bumped up Marshawn Lynch’s 2014 PED dosage”

75. jtbsteeler says: Aug 1, 2014 8:44 AM

The Seahawks blinked. Having to rely on Russell Wilson’s arm gave them pause. That dinky donk offense will have to pick it up.

76. ireone says: Aug 1, 2014 9:14 AM

cjweber5187 says:
    Jul 31, 2014 8:29 PM
    $6.5 Mil for a season of football?
    Something that I did for fun for 6 years?

Must be nice..

If only I ran a 4.4 and not a 444.4…..

Sick of this whining, some people earn more than you, get over it.

77. bigjim50010 says: Aug 1, 2014 9:41 AM

love all the complaints against this guy making money. if in your job of making toothpicks out of logs, you had the opportunity to add a million to your base salary…I am sure you all would take the higher moral ground and say no I signed on for what I signed on for. please….

78. pongonfl says: Aug 1, 2014 12:03 PM

older back getting his team to take on a bit more of the risk for his age, seems reasonable to me.

79. cwilliams135 says: Aug 1, 2014 12:08 PM

Sounds like he thinks he isn’t going to hit that 1,500 yrd mark for the bonus so he wanted it up front

80. dedicatedhawkfan says: Aug 1, 2014 12:56 PM

I believe they were in negotiations prior to training camp. It’s not like the Seahawks caved. They came to a mutually agreeable price.
    Go Hawks!

81. 12thman84 says: Aug 1, 2014 1:26 PM

—————————————————
    The Steelers haven’t won a playoff game, or even had a winning season since getting Tebowed. Please don’t comment until this has been rectified.

Super Bowl Champs

Go Hawks

82. superjay3282 says: Aug 1, 2014 9:57 PM

LEAST MODE!!!

83. muencht says: Aug 2, 2014 2:03 PM

I for one feel he deserved more money. Superstars deserve to be paid like Superstars. I don’t understand the mentality of people like the one who commented “You expect me to live on 5 mil a year?” Sports stars and movie stars are *not* like the rest of us. And we resent it.

No doubt it will be 9:1 against me. Just as it was w/ Jimmy Graham when I posted he should be paid as a WR not a TE. There is rule in place that says a NFL player should be paid for the position he spends the most time in. For Graham, this was WR.

84. sjsuguy says: Aug 4, 2014 5:50 PM

It’s only a matter of time before Dicky Sherman starts asking for money. Nice way to cave OKC.