Seahawks place Anthony McCoy on I.R., sign WR Ronald Johnson

San Francisco 49ers Training Camp Getty Images

Anthony McCoy will miss yet another season because of an Achilles injury.

According to PFT’s Curtis Crabtree, the Seahawks have announced they have placed McCoy on injured reserve and signed wide receiver Ronald Johnson to fill the roster spot.

Johnson, like McCoy, played for now-Seahawks coach Pete Carroll at USC. Johnson has had stints with San Francisco (2011) and Philadelphia (2012-2013). Johnson missed the 2012 season with a broken and discloated left ankle. He was waived by the Eagles in April 2013.

Johnson was a sixth-round pick of the 49ers in 2011. He turns 26 on Sunday.

The Seahawks have just four tight ends on their roster: Zach Miller, Luke Willson, RaShaun Allen and Cooper Heifet.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
12 Responses to “Seahawks place Anthony McCoy on I.R., sign WR Ronald Johnson”
  1. RegisHawk says: Jul 31, 2014 1:51 PM

The man is cursed. 2 years in a row.

Don’t know why we need another WR in camp…last I heard we were up to 13 for 6-7 spots.

2. barsfordays says: Jul 31, 2014 1:54 PM

Camp body at best.

3. thepftpoet says: Jul 31, 2014 1:58 PM

I feel bad for players that get injured.

Anthony McCoy is secretly on IR to sneak the PEDs into the locker room.

4. Marshawn Lunch says: Jul 31, 2014 2:15 PM

*smh @ trolls

Heifet and Allen aren’t ready for primetime. Hawks need more depth at TE.

This camp is all about finding suitable targets for Wilson to throw to. Hawks should release some of the obvious camp body wide receivers and and try out a few tight ends.

5. turbolove says: Jul 31, 2014 2:16 PM

That’s too bad, I was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year but he’s very injury prone, including his days at USC.

6. mikeinsanfran says: Jul 31, 2014 2:18 PM

The Seahawks signed a former 49er. Color me shocked.

7. seatownballers says: Jul 31, 2014 2:33 PM

Hawks need to draft tight end. I was sad we didn’t get ASJ

8. trollhammer20 says: Jul 31, 2014 2:45 PM

SF drafted Ron Johnson instead of taking Doug Baldwin, who fell into free agency and signed with Seattle instead.

9. thebirdofprey2 says: Jul 31, 2014 2:46 PM

I was reading a fans post about the drop off at TE being serious after Miller, McCoy and Willson. I am with the other fan that thinks we need to draft someone because we turn through TE castaways like crazy Kellen Davis, Kellen Winslow, Travis Beckum and let me forgot about watching Evan Moore try look like a football player out there.

10. garyridgway says: Jul 31, 2014 3:32 PM

God speed McCoy.

As for Johnson, never heard of em’

11. seabrawk12 says: Jul 31, 2014 3:37 PM

On the plus side Beastmode is reporting to camp! Go HAWKS

12. garyridgway says: Jul 31, 2014 3:45 PM

thebirdofprey2 says:
    Jul 31, 2014 2:46 PM

——————————–

Oh jeez don’t remind me of the Evan Moore experiment.

I can tell you have a good memory so I got a couple for you. Mike Person experiment…..just bad, Mr. Off Sides. I used to be bummed we let Sean McGrath go and he caught on with the Chiefs. But dude just retired suddenly so even that wouldn’t have worked out probably.