Jim Harbaugh confident in Marcus Lattimore

Marcus Lattimore AP

Although 49ers running back Marcus Lattimore is still unable to practice, 21 months after a horrific injury at South Carolina, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh says he’s confident Lattimore will contribute to the team.

Marcus is going to be a part of this team, in some form or fashion,” Harbaugh said, via CSNBayArea.com. “I know what he’s got inside of him and I know what he’s capable of doing on the football field. We all do.”

Unfortunately, there’s still no word on when Lattimore will be part of the 49ers, in any role other than an observer at practice.

“We’ll continue to do what’s best for him and ultimately that’ll be what’s best for the program,” Harbaugh said.

Lattimore has worked very hard to rehabilitate from an injury so severe that doctors feared at first he may never walk without assistance again, let alone play football again. Here’s hoping that Harbaugh’s confidence is well placed, and that Lattimore eventually gets on the field with the 49ers.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Jim Harbaugh confident in Marcus Lattimore”
  1. 4thquartermagic says: Aug 1, 2014 6:03 PM

Regardless of when he hits the field, I’m rooting for this kid.

To come back from that gruesome injury would be an awesome story.

2. noleitup says: Aug 1, 2014 6:06 PM

Man I really hope this kid can heal up right. Im not even a niner fan I just remember what he did in college. At full health he can be a top 5 rb in this league.

3. superbowl48champs says: Aug 1, 2014 6:07 PM

Good luck Marcus, your hard work will pay off.

4. calininerfan says: Aug 1, 2014 6:10 PM

I hope Lattimore can return healthy and without further injury. He has put in so much hard work. I would like to see him have success for him and for the team. The 49ers should continue to stand behind him. Like to see this story have a positive ending.

5. mackcarrington says: Aug 1, 2014 6:13 PM

Well, I don’t know. I mean, every time you see a picture of him, he’s just standing around with his hand on his hips doing nothing.

6. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 1, 2014 6:26 PM

They’re fitting him up with a 49er miner outfit so he can serve as team mascot.

7. tigershark0052 says: Aug 1, 2014 6:26 PM

Would like to see him succeed.
    Clowney > Barr

8. sportsfan18 says: Aug 1, 2014 6:28 PM

mack

thinks that you looking in the mirror at yourself actually

9. humb0lt says: Aug 1, 2014 6:29 PM

I doubt this kid well ever be strong enough to do much in the NFL – Darren McFragile lite.

10. afcdomination says: Aug 1, 2014 6:32 PM

his legs are gruesome with the cuts and scars. I hope he does well, but I can’t lie..I will totally cringe any time he takes a hit he doesn’t immediately get up from

11. ayyyjayyy says: Aug 1, 2014 6:41 PM

PUP to start the year, then play him sparingly. In the playoffs, give him more snaps.

12. braceyourselffor12 says: Aug 1, 2014 6:43 PM

Anyone who calls themselves a fan of football is rooting for Marcus to succeed.

13. percyscoredasmuchasdenver says: Aug 1, 2014 6:51 PM

You mean Marcus “Machete Legs” Lattimore.

#REPETE
    #ABOVEREPROACH
    #DYNASTY

14. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 1, 2014 7:11 PM

I think everyone is pulling for the kid. But at some point don’t the 49ers have to move on?

15. bleedrangerblue says: Aug 1, 2014 7:18 PM

If I was this much deadweight at work i would get fired. I want his job.

16. bleedrangerblue says: Aug 1, 2014 7:20 PM

@ayyyy. Don’t talk about snaps….

17. realdealsteel says: Aug 1, 2014 7:21 PM

Carlos Hyde.

18. donnymacjack says: Aug 1, 2014 7:26 PM

As a Seahawk fan and a 49er “hater” I hope this kid gets all the way back and has a meaningful career. And if for some reason he doesn’t I hope he becomes a great coach.

19. tinbender2000 says: Aug 1, 2014 7:26 PM

percyscoredasmuchasdenver says: Aug 1, 2014 6:51 PM

You mean Marcus “Machete Legs” Lattimore.

#REPETE
    #ABOVEREPROACH
    #DYNASTY

And you wonder why Football fans hate Seattle Fans

20. bhlobos says: Aug 1, 2014 7:44 PM

tinbender2000… are you the type that lumps everybody into one group? Don’t let a moron or two fool you… if you want to hate me because I wear a Wilson jersey, awesome… you want to hate me because some other guy says something stupid, then that makes me wonder who the stupid one really is… just my two cents.

BTW, I loved watching Lattimore in college and felt sick when he got hurt. I truly hope he fully recovers and has a long career. He’s a niner, and I want to despise him, but I can’t yet…

21. 49erstim says: Aug 1, 2014 7:53 PM

@dallascowboys……. He was, literally drafted last year with the team KNOWING that he wouldn’t be able to contribute until this year at the earliest. He was a value pick for a team that had a lot of draft picks. For the love of everything sacred PLEASE read SOMETHING about football BEFORE you comment.

22. deucedeuce13 says: Aug 1, 2014 8:20 PM

I feel for the guy. He was a monster and I agree could’ve been a top 5 rb. I hope he at least gets to play now. Come back strong booby miles.

23. steviepinhead says: Aug 1, 2014 8:23 PM

I’m a stone cold Seahawks’ fan, but no true football fan can feel anything but hope that this kid is able to recover and flourish despite this devastating injury.

24. humb0lt says: Aug 1, 2014 8:39 PM

@49erstim….Everybody knows the situation with Lattimore when he was drafted. But it’s been almost two years since he blew out his knee in 2012 and he still hasn’t healed. He blew out his knee in 2011 also. It doesn’t look good for this kid, at some point the Niners have to move on.

25. pacificnw7722 says: Aug 1, 2014 8:46 PM

timbender2000-

Have some class dude. I’m a diehard Hawk fan as well but hope Lattimore can get on the field.

26. kuranda84 says: Aug 1, 2014 9:08 PM

Here’s hoping he makes it back. Heck of a kid.

-Hawks fan

27. mitchem85 says: Aug 1, 2014 9:24 PM

Funny thing…. 5 years ago you couldn’t find a Seahawks fan to save your life.
    Now, you can’t read an article without seeing 56 “die hard” Seahawk fans posting responses. I just want to know where you guys were the past 20-30 years?!?!

28. seahawkfanfrom1970s says: Aug 1, 2014 9:53 PM

All true football fans wish him well with good health and a strong complete recovery.

29. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 1, 2014 10:07 PM

percyscoredasmuchasdenver says:
    Aug 1, 2014 6:51 PM

You mean Marcus “Machete Legs” Lattimore.

#REPETE
    #ABOVEREPROACH
    #DYNASTY
    =========================

You can tell other teams’ fans are intimidated when they have to make up fake names and pretend to be Hawk fans.

30. fishfan39 says: Aug 1, 2014 10:36 PM

I can’t see how anyone could be rooting against this kid. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders which is more than can say about a lot of the kids coming out of college. This kid is doing everything that he can to get healthy and contribute to his team anyway that he can. What more could anyone reasonably ask for?

31. jimbo75025 says: Aug 1, 2014 11:03 PM

Hate the 49’ers but hope Lattimore can manage to carve out a career somehow. Guy was always a class act at South Carolina and based on what I have seen and heard was the anti-Clowney in terms of attitude. Best of luck to him.

32. 49erstim says: Aug 1, 2014 11:05 PM

@humbolt……. what I’m saying is that it is entirely too early to even discuss giving up on him. SF isn’t losing ANYTHING on the guy right now. What is it with people nowadays?

33. boyshole25 says: Aug 1, 2014 11:13 PM

The kids a winner

34. mildfan says: Aug 1, 2014 11:19 PM

The 49ners do not need to move on. If the kid is ever healthy enough to play they have a diamond in the rough. If not they have a good kid they give a coaching position to or some cake front office job. Garb aught is just doing what a good human does and that is to help out other humans,. Especially a good human line this kid who probably offers more than just being a football player. Pretty sure he graduated from college unlike most NFL entertainers!!!!!!!

35. realityonetwo says: Aug 1, 2014 11:41 PM

It’s over.

36. 34defense2014 says: Aug 1, 2014 11:43 PM

bleedrangerblue Oh yeah I forgot!! The team you root for likes blowing out peeps knees!! My bad! Can’t wait to see “Krieder”, if that’s one spells that knuckle heads name? Anyways, I can not wait for PK to concuss Krieder!! Dirtiest player in the league, Chris that is! “Chris The Cryer”

37. luccabrazzi says: Aug 1, 2014 11:51 PM

Good luck to you Marcus! I’m rooting for you and I hope you’ve earned the chance to play again with your relentless rehabbing. Hard work ALWAYS pays off and I have no doubt it will pay off for you also.

38. dirtydrew says: Aug 2, 2014 12:23 AM

It’s good to see some ‘Hawks fans show some class. While we both root passionately for our squads, we don’t wish harm or injury to any players. Too bad clowns on both sides lose focus on what’s important. Quality ball. But this is OUR year. Go 49ers.

39. thefox61 says: Aug 2, 2014 3:06 AM

Mark me as yet another Seahawks fan rooting for this young man to get back on the field.

40. cjweber5187 says: Aug 2, 2014 4:53 AM

That knee injury was nasty.
    Hopefully this kid can return to form and take over for Frank when he hangs ‘em up.

41. isaidjoemontegna says: Aug 2, 2014 5:21 AM

Pacificnw7722 – I can appreciate you being classy as a Seahawks fan. I can assure you that you are the exception. But…our guy up there timbender2000 was responding to one of your unclassy friends who, unfortunately, is the rule. As a whole, graciousness is not a strong suit from the Seattle base.

42. bostonbadass says: Aug 2, 2014 8:01 AM

Not a Niners Fan But This Kid Has Some Serious Heart Coming Off An Injury Like That !!!

Love To See Him Make It Back To Full Health.

43. jtm12180 says: Aug 2, 2014 11:23 AM

donnymacjack says:
    Aug 1, 2014 7:26 PM

————————-

As a South Carolina fan, I can guarantee that our football program will hire him as a coach the day he’s ready for it!

44. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 2, 2014 12:05 PM

@isaidjoemontegna -seriously?

percyscoredasmuchasdenver isn’t a Hawk fan. He’s another made up name by a Viking or Niner to try to be funny/make us look bad.

Read some of the posts and then apply common sense.

Clue: when they use #IDONTKNOWWHOLARGENTIS
    like they have in other posts they’re trying to be funny, but failing miserably.

Jeez

45. isaidjoemontegna says: Aug 2, 2014 12:19 PM

Realitycheckbaby – If that’s that’s true, I digress. BUT aside from this guy, Seahawks fan have no trouble at all looking arrogant and juvenile on 49er articles. It’s little man syndrome through and through.

46. 12thman84 says: Aug 2, 2014 1:45 PM

——————————–

If you truly believe that, you really need help. Read ANY article about the Seahawks and you will ALWAYS see Santa Clara fans talking smack. It goes both ways, and both teams have fans that go over the line. As a Seahawk fan I don’t like Santa Clara, but I do hope Lattimore has recovered and has a productive career..maybe not as productive when playing the Hawks.

As far as the “small man syndrome,” get a clue. The Hawks are the Reigning Super Bowl Champions, it is Santa Clara that has won anything this Century.

Go Hawks

47. jimnsota says: Aug 2, 2014 1:58 PM

Lattimore will never be Mark Ingram he’s the best for sure.

48. randsomed says: Aug 2, 2014 4:10 PM

“small man syndrome”. Sounds like projection.

49. tical312 says: Aug 2, 2014 4:11 PM

I’d be confident,too, if we had a RB whose leg bends every possible direction. Imagine the sick juke moves he’d have. Nice try, Coach Harbaugh.

50. isaidjoemontegna says: Aug 3, 2014 4:02 PM

12thman84 – Plenty of currently successful people have small man syndrome. They act overly confident/arrogant on the outside but deep down they’re so so sad that after 38 years of professional football and baseball in Seattle, there’s only one title to speak of. Poor little guys!

51. isaidjoemontegna says: Aug 3, 2014 10:23 PM

Ok sorry…correction. The supersonics had one championship as well in 1979. But they seemingly would rather be in Oaklahoma City, of all places. What a terrible place.

52. therussellwilsonshow says: Aug 4, 2014 6:31 PM

I hope he sees playing time by end of the season and is good to go next year.

Then, a few years from now, when Frank Gore and Beast Mode have taken their last snaps, we will still have an NFC West showdown between the best power running teams in the league…featuring Marcus Lattimore and Christine Michael. I can’t wait for those games. Let it be so.

See you at Levi on Thanksgiving.

Go Hawks!