San Antonio official believes Raiders have given city “a serious look”

San Antonio skyline Getty Images

After meeting with Raiders owner Mark Davis last month, the president and CEO of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce believes Davis will give the city some real consideration if the team decides to move.

In an interview Friday with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Chamber executive Richard Perez told hosts Alex Marvez and Ross Tucker that Davis “has indeed given us a serious look, and we’re going to see where this takes us.”

Perez also shed some light on Davis’ message to city officials.

“I will you tell that I felt very, very comfortable and confident that his word was true,” Perez said. “And he said, ‘Look, you know, I’m not telling you that I’m coming today, but I will tell you that I’m looking, and you all are definitely someone that we’re looking very closely at.’”

Referring to the city’s previous failed attempts to appeal to professional teams, Perez said: “The carrot’s been dangled in front of us before. We’ve jumped, and we haven’t been successful. But if you don’t take a chance, you never will succeed.”

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
41 Responses to “San Antonio official believes Raiders have given city “a serious look””
  1. socalraider909 says: Aug 1, 2014 3:17 PM

2. billybone says: Aug 1, 2014 3:18 PM

They should look into Portland too. Used to live there and the city loves their sports teams, plus it would cool to have the old AFC rival of the Seahawks and Raiders in neighboring states.

3. skum01 says: Aug 1, 2014 3:20 PM

San Antonio is pure leverage for a new stadium.

4. raidordie says: Aug 1, 2014 3:22 PM

Don’t care if they move although I’d prefer to LA, RAIDER NATION (the one true nation) will follow

5. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 1, 2014 3:25 PM

Jerruh will never let it happen…. San Antonio is a huge market for the cowgirls and he’s not going to let that go.

6. rajbais says: Aug 1, 2014 3:28 PM

Well, thanks to Oakland the Raiders play in sewage.

Thanks to the NFL, the Raiders will never be allowed to go back to L.A. even though the NFL would be okay with the following hypothetical: the Ravens move back to Cleveland if Cleveland had no football team.

It’s not as if the Chargers want to go back to L.A.. The Chargers wants Los Angelans. Nothing more than that.

7. sjsuguy says: Aug 1, 2014 3:28 PM

Doesn’t Texas already have enough horrible NFL teams?

8. floriosbigtoe says: Aug 1, 2014 3:31 PM

Let’s face it, Tijuana would be a step above Oakland.

9. kehav1 says: Aug 1, 2014 3:32 PM

please don’t come to texas…we have enough mediocrity to deal with….

10. steves11 says: Aug 1, 2014 3:32 PM

Somehow I can’t imagine the San Antonio Raiders. Nice city though. They deserve a top level professional team.

11. cheapglazers says: Aug 1, 2014 3:33 PM

How does Jerry Jones feel about this?

12. deepseabreeze says: Aug 1, 2014 3:43 PM

socalraider909 says:
    Aug 1, 2014 3:17 PM

_________________

I am a Raider fan because they represent the city that I am from and call home. If they left Oakland, you’re damn right I’d no longer be a fan.

13. dalcow4 says: Aug 1, 2014 3:44 PM

Imagine owning an NFL team and no one wanted you…

That’s how far the Raiduhs have fallen.

14. themeccalambeaufield says: Aug 1, 2014 3:54 PM

I would just to see Jerrah’s head explode!

15. freddiec8 says: Aug 1, 2014 3:57 PM

They already have MJD move them to London he said they deserve a team there.

16. raiderrob68 says: Aug 1, 2014 4:00 PM

The beautiful part about Raider Nation is that it truly is a NATION. Very few of the Nation live in Oakland, but that is where the tradition originates, so we support the home town. The Raiders can stay in Oakland, move to LA or Portland (SA is just a pawn) but Raider Nation will still remain strong and loyal as ever.

17. dalcow4 says: Aug 1, 2014 4:02 PM

Mogadishu is building a new stadium…

18. h0c2000 says: Aug 1, 2014 4:06 PM

The Raiders will become Texico’s team.

19. 941bucs says: Aug 1, 2014 4:08 PM

Can they fit a stadium on key west? Make all the fans arrive in pirate ships to the game? Instead of beer serve rum at the game? Lets keep it real..

20. jimmysee says: Aug 1, 2014 4:10 PM

If they move to San Antonio, they must leave the Raider name in Oakland.

The team becomes the San Antonio Alamomomos.

21. El Pollo Loco says: Aug 1, 2014 4:14 PM

How well does raider mechandise even sell anymore?All I ever see are Seahawks Niner and Patriot jerseys. if they move a rebranding might be in order.Retire the raider shield and start fresh like the Oilers and browns did when they left their cities.

22. returntoexcellence says: Aug 1, 2014 4:14 PM

deepseabreeze says:
    Aug 1, 2014 3:43 PM
    socalraider909 says:
    Aug 1, 2014 3:17 PM

_________________

_________________

Then you are not a Raider fan… you are an Oakland fan.

23. dasmol says: Aug 1, 2014 4:49 PM

Does it even matter where they call home? A Nation of band wagoners will follow regardless.

24. deepseabreeze says: Aug 1, 2014 5:09 PM

returntoexcellence says:
    Aug 1, 2014 4:14 PM
    deepseabreeze says:
    Aug 1, 2014 3:43 PM
    socalraider909 says:
    Aug 1, 2014 3:17 PM

_________________

_________________

Then you are not a Raider fan… you are an Oakland fan.

______________________________

Of course I am. That is why I identify with the team. The overwhelming majority of sports fans are fans of teams that play where they are from. Not hating on or disrespecting any Raider fans from elsewhere whatsoever, but do you really think the Raiders would have gained this mystique if they would have originated in Portland/San Antonio/Las Vegas? Probably not.

25. NoHomeTeam says: Aug 1, 2014 5:17 PM

socalraider909 says: I keep hearing so called “Raider fans” switching teams if they move to San Antonio Real Fans stick to their team no matter where they move I personally want them to move to LA but ill be a Raider till I die

****************

So . . . I guess you’re still devoted to that girlfriend that left you and moved back in with her Ex 20 years ago?

26. NoHomeTeam says: Aug 1, 2014 5:34 PM

rajbais says: . . . the Raiders will never be allowed to go back to L.A. . . . If the Los Angelans love the Raiders more than any other team why not let the Raiders go back home?

***************
    We don’t

27. carlsbadboltfan says: Aug 1, 2014 5:34 PM

Choo! Choo!

Now arriving on track 13 from Oakland…

28. slick50ks says: Aug 1, 2014 5:39 PM

There aren’t enough jail cells in SA.

29. radrntn says: Aug 1, 2014 5:49 PM

yep….. uh huh…..for sure……no doubt about it….

Go Raiders

30. babygaga19 says: Aug 1, 2014 6:54 PM

Funny how Nation prides itself on being the most devout fan base in sports, yet this will be the second time they have their team. Why? Because no one goes to home games. Raiders are low yield losers both on the field and on the balance sheet.

31. radrntn says: Aug 1, 2014 7:09 PM

babygaga19 says:
    Aug 1, 2014 6:54 PM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — –
    Funny how when i go to the raiders home game in San Diego, i only see a few chargers fans there.

32. kibblesnvick says: Aug 1, 2014 7:55 PM

Well, yeah, what else is he going to say?

He’s not going to admit on live radio it was just a marketing ploy.

33. hogue34 says: Aug 1, 2014 8:22 PM

San Antonio Raiders has a nice ring to it!

34. vipod4ever says: Aug 1, 2014 9:57 PM

You call yourself Raider Nation? I live on the east coast, travel every year to 5-6 games, one being in Oakland, have done so for 20yrs. They belong in Oak. But if.they move, they are still the Raiders! So walk the plank you fair weather fans…and don’t let the sword prick you from behind!

35. wyrdawg says: Aug 1, 2014 10:58 PM

San Antonio has a HUGE military fan base. It’s a better move for the NFL than Houston was. As a matter of fact, Benson should be ashamed of himself for not going further south back in the day.

Lackland AFB is where all Air Force recruits go to basic training. San Antonio, TX.

Lots of recruits. Lots of retirees. The NFL would definitely prosper there.

Look at the Spurs…

36. dasmol says: Aug 2, 2014 12:16 AM

Move em and leave the name in Oakland, never to be used again.

37. peytonmanningsforehead says: Aug 2, 2014 12:21 AM

Poor San Antonio. The town’s being used as a pawn to get leverage but the naive fools actually think they can get the Raiders to move. Sorry, fellas, not gonna happen.

38. jollyjoker2 says: Aug 2, 2014 12:53 AM

texas is big enough…let those californians’ revel in soccer and illegal failure.

39. subject1er says: Aug 2, 2014 4:37 AM

Hopefully they can stay in Oakland, if not I heard they were looking at concord too but who really knows…Raider nation, a nation of fans across the nation, Raiders!!!!

40. rckymtnthndr17 says: Aug 2, 2014 4:47 AM

I love this move for two reasons: 1. To demonstrate to Jerry Jones and Bob McNair that the state of Texas isn’t all about the Cowboys/Texans & 2. “Raider nation” isn’t as strong as all you wannabe raider fans think you are. If you love your Raiders as much as you say you do, you’ll buy tickets to your own games and help fund a stadium in your own hometown!

41. idpfantasyfootball says: Aug 3, 2014 10:44 AM

If San Antonio is serious, they should make a non-refundable $10 million deposit for the Raiders to consider the move just like Al Davis got Irwindale to do back in the day…!