Tony Romo might not play in preseason opener

Tony Romo

Even though Dr. Jerry Jones has proclaimed Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo100 percent,” it’s far from certain he’ll play a full preseason schedule.

Via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com, Romo said he will play at some point in the preseason, though he’s not sure if he was going to suit up for the Aug. 7 opener against the Chargers.

“You’re constantly evaluating it and you’re constantly, I don’t want to say adjusting because you stick to the plan, but it’s a progression,” Romo said. “It’s leading up to San Francisco [regular season opener]. I am going to play in the preseason, obviously. I think it’s important. The first game, we’ll talk about it as we move into the weekend.”

Romo’s getting periodic days off after offseason back surgery, and everyone says he’s going to be fine. He said it was more of a matter of adapting to a new routine of strengthening his back and supporting¬†muscles,

“It’s just a little unknown so you’d rather play it safe than be silly and just go out and do everything over and over again and all of a sudden have to sit out for a week or so,” Romo said. “I think more than anything we’re playing the long game and I think that’s smart.”

It’s probably early to start the panic, as he didn’t play in last year’s preseason opener either. But until he proves the owner right and shows that he’s 100 percent, it’s reasonable have concern.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Tony Romo might not play in preseason opener”
  1. salmen76 says: Aug 1, 2014 8:40 AM

Glad i’m not a Cowboys fan. What a dysfunctional bunch! Ha Ha! We play them week four of the regular season in Dallas. Can’t wait to watch Drew light that “Great” defense up! Ha Ha! Rob Ryan is gonna love slaughtering is old teams offense too! Geaux Saints!

2. danind says: Aug 1, 2014 8:43 AM

lets hold out our china doll running back from the game too.

3. doctorrustbelt says: Aug 1, 2014 8:45 AM

Good move.

I encourage Bengals owner mike brown and head coach Marvin Lewis to rest Andy Dalton, A.J. Green, Giovani Bernard, Leon Hall, Domato Peko, Geno Atkins, Ray Maualuga, Kevin Zeitler, Vontaze Burfict, Carlos Dunlap, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Tyler Eifert, etc. …. for ALL pre-season games.

4. clownsfan says: Aug 1, 2014 8:46 AM

No worries Cowboys Fan. Brandon Weeden is ready to step right in and stink the joint up!!

5. igotgamenj says: Aug 1, 2014 9:12 AM

11 years on the Cowboys and 1 playoff win…

6. dallasdominates says: Aug 1, 2014 9:14 AM

34 year old quarterback coming off two back surgeries in 2 consecutive seasons… its smart to take it slow.. because preseason games are sooooo important right.. Game three of the preseason is when the starters get the most play time as they begin game planning for week one.. I expect him to play by week three.. why risk taking a unnecessary hit against some rookies who probably won’t be in the league by September 7th.

7. abninf says: Aug 1, 2014 9:29 AM

Romo plays, and leads his team on winning drives, with broken ribs and collapsed lungs. He’ll be fine.

8. conormacleod says: Aug 1, 2014 9:30 AM

I can’t believe preseason tickets cost the same as regular season. But hey, let’s not change it to two preseason games and an 18 game regular season! We wouldn’t want people to actually get their money’s worth!

9. jetsbandwagon says: Aug 1, 2014 9:37 AM

Cuz that worked out so well for RGKnee! The entire NFC Eastbis a joke!

#JetsDynasty

10. govtminion says: Aug 1, 2014 9:52 AM

Don’t most starting QBs play a series or two, a quarter at the most, then sit? I don’t see why this is a concern here.

11. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Aug 1, 2014 9:57 AM

But then again, Romo might not play in regular season games either. 34 years old with 2 back surgeries in 2 years. It’s only a matter of time before he gets forced to retire.

12. chargersdiehard says: Aug 1, 2014 9:57 AM

I wouldn’t want my qb going against the Bolts either. We are gonna crush qbs this season!

13. 700levelvet says: Aug 1, 2014 10:07 AM

The. “Mediocre franchise in sports”…

14. guachosporlife says: Aug 1, 2014 10:19 AM

Preseason games are a joke anyways. Starters don’t even really play until the second from last games.

15. medialovesthecowboys says: Aug 1, 2014 10:24 AM

Romo is a top five quarterback. Outside of Brady, Manning, Brees, and Roethlisberger, tell me who is better.

Don’t give me this Russell Wilson nonsense. A historically phenomenal defense won the Super Bowl last year. And Eli Manning is a scrub with hardware (See: Trent Dilfer).

You could make the argument for Cam. But guys like Kaepernick, Stafford, or Flacco would be benched if they had defensive support Romo had last year.

16. thesmartestmanever says: Aug 1, 2014 10:55 AM

@medialovesthecowboys, Rodgers, Rivers, possibly, Shaub, the other Manning and maybe even Cutler. those are just the ones the have tenure in the league and stats to compare. otherwise I would include Luck, Smith, RGIII based off 2012 stats and Josh McCown based off a few games

17. shatho1 says: Aug 1, 2014 11:23 AM

@jetsbandwagon- the jets and their whole organization is an even bigger joke

18. 88xfactor says: Aug 1, 2014 11:53 AM

I’d rather have a 34 year old still trying to win a SB. Than a 38 year old that sucked in his last SB. Would rather have Romo never win a SB, than have him go to a SB and stank it up. At least we know that Brady an Payton will never win another SB. But Romo still has a chance. So let’s just see what he does this season. THEMBOYS4LIFE!

19. fastspecv says: Aug 1, 2014 12:05 PM

Oh noes!!! He will miss one entire series!! Oh the humanity!!

20. cincyalldaway says: Aug 1, 2014 1:18 PM

NEWS FLASH…He likely won’t play much of the regular season either! Tony “the Glass House” Romo will go down like a two dollar tire after the first big hit he takes! America’s Mediocre Team….LMAO!

21. herrcules13 says: Aug 1, 2014 4:41 PM

cincyalldaway: you clearly do not know much about football, so I won’t waste my time explaining how ignorant it is to describe Romo as a china doll.

22. herrcules13 says: Aug 1, 2014 4:42 PM

Glass house* not china doll. My bad

23. simonator917 says: Aug 1, 2014 4:59 PM

Dear Jerry, please explain to me why you didn’t feel the need to draft a young quarterback given Romo’s age and health concerns.

24. winninaintsinnin says: Aug 1, 2014 5:22 PM

Who will play catch with the DBs?

25. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 1, 2014 7:20 PM

I will be shocked if he takes a snap in preseason other than the third preseason game. Then I look for it to be about one series only. They can not risk Romo not being healthy week one.

26. sbboundgiants says: Aug 1, 2014 9:01 PM

Romo is done.

27. simonator917 says: Aug 1, 2014 10:20 PM

. . . At least we know that Brady an Payton will never win another SB. . ==========
    I’m not a Pats fan, but I think they’ll beat the Saints in the Super Bowl this year.