Bowers admits Schiano got to him mentally

x350-8-e1375815774133 AP

Last year, Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano pushed defensive end Da’Quan Bowers like old-school coaches do.  It didn’t work.

“It’s not all about the injuries,” Bowers said regarding his poor performance, via TheLedger.com by way of JoeBucsFan.com.  “I let other reasons get to me mentally. It was Schiano.  He got to me mentally, and I couldn’t bounce back for some reason.  I blame myself though.  I couldn’t push through it mentally.  It taught me something and I’m a better person and a better player because of that.”

So what does the 2011 second-round pick plan to do about it?

“I’m at a point in my career where it’s time to make plays,” Bowers said.  “It’s time to shine.  I’ve been mediocre my whole life here.  It’s time for me to take that spotlight and just play to the best of my ability and stop selling myself short and this organization short.”

That’s not all that different from what Schiano said in 2013 about Bowers.  But Schiano apparently didn’t realize that the manner in which he was pushing Bowers’ buttons eventually was causing more harm than good.

“I want to see him play hard play after play after play after play,” Schiano said last year at this time.  “He needs to string together some plays where he’s going at a high level.”

Schiano eventually put Daniel Te’o-Nesheim above Bowers on the depth chart.

Of course that will push me,” Bowers said at the time.  “My ultimate goal is not to be the second-team defensive end, it’s to be a starter.  If that’s his way of pushing me, I acknowledge that and I’m trying to do something about it.”

A year later, Bowers is still trying to do something about it.  And he’s running out of time.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
30 Responses to “Bowers admits Schiano got to him mentally”
  1. rickastleydancemoves says: Aug 4, 2014 10:15 AM

Physically fragile AND mentally weak!? Not a good combination.

2. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 4, 2014 10:17 AM

Smart admission. You laid down.

3. gayforbrady says: Aug 4, 2014 10:19 AM

That’s a great lesson for the current generation…..If you have issues, blame someone else.

4. doubleogator says: Aug 4, 2014 10:19 AM

It a good thing he was never in the military…

5. harrybucsfan says: Aug 4, 2014 10:19 AM

This is such crap. Was Schiano a bad coach? Yes. Did Schiano ‘help’ make Freeman crazy? Yes, IMO. But Cheeseburger Bowers is just lazy. Was Cheeseburger so out of shape just a month ago that he was called out by his line coach? Yes. And Schiano has not been around for 6 months.

6. micknangold says: Aug 4, 2014 10:23 AM

In the NFL, it’s the coaches job to use any number of motivational styles to get the most out of each player. If you’re not a people person, you’d better have a bunch on your staff, or you’ll lose the locker room fast. Schiano found out the hard way.

7. floratiotime says: Aug 4, 2014 10:24 AM

One of the top 10 bad coaching hires in NFL history.

8. 700levelvet says: Aug 4, 2014 10:26 AM

Nobody and I mean nobody says ” I’m a better person because of it” than NFL players… It’s and old and tired adage they just mouth to hear themselves think…

9. chalkruz1989 says: Aug 4, 2014 10:27 AM

I had a feeling that Greg Schiano was going to fail when he took the job with Tampa Bay.

I had two classmates accept scholarships to play at Rutgers and both played three seasons and enjoyed his style of coaching. Both enjoyed the fact that he was stern and would get in their face when they made mistakes.

However, in the professional league, when players are making more than the coaches, the level of respect needs to be earned before accepting such criticism. Old-school mentality doesn’t work as much nowadays.

You hear about how Tom Coughlin had to change and how Bill Parcells had to take it down a couple notches. Today’s athletes don’t take to the screaming and yelling as much as they did in the past in my opinion.

10. realfootballfan says: Aug 4, 2014 10:28 AM

I’ve been mediocre my whole life here.

—-

Well, can’t accuse the guy of not having perspective, lol.

11. milkmandanimal says: Aug 4, 2014 10:28 AM

Bowers couldn’t put it together when Schiano was coach, and he still hasn’t with Lovie as coach. Would love to see the guy finally turn it on, but he’s had a few years to prove himself and hasn’t been able/willing to.

That being said, Schiano didn’t push anybody’s buttons the right way, because Schiano SUCKED.

12. detdominance says: Aug 4, 2014 10:32 AM

Remember when this guy was a top 5 lock?

13. calhounlambeau says: Aug 4, 2014 10:34 AM

Wow. Dude is soft.

14. phillyb60 says: Aug 4, 2014 10:35 AM

I liked his play@Clemson and thought he had/has huge potential, injuries and other things have hampered his development thus far. Going from possibly the 1st ovr pick, then to the slide that far I thought he would have a big chip n ball out.
    He still has the physical tools to be a very good player & I hope he puts it all together and has a breakout season. He reminds me alittle bit of M.Bennet the DE the Bucs let walk to Seattle a cpl yrs ago. Size, strength, speed wise. Play DE on 1&2-then versatile enough to rush inside on 3rd(M.Johnson,McCoy,Bowers,Claybrn?) Idk abt other Bucs DE’s, I’m a Philly fan just hoping this guy plays up to his potential. Good Luck down there, Lovie will make a HUGE impact&immediate upgrade over Schiano who thought he could coach/treat Revis,McCoy n co. Like they were Rutgers Red-Shirts, that attitude does not work in the NFL and won’t work bc they’re not 18-but Grown men making millions of dollars.
    Good Luck Bucs & D.Bowers

15. doctorrustbelt says: Aug 4, 2014 10:35 AM

greg schiano coaching record:

68 wins – 67 losses at Rutgers (28-48 in conference play)

11 wins – 21 losses at Tampa Bay

16. bucforever says: Aug 4, 2014 10:36 AM

Stay healthy and strong! This team is going to do what KC did last season. It’s all good so far. GO BUCS!

17. JackedUpSports says: Aug 4, 2014 10:45 AM

good job owning up to it, now it’s time to back up your words

18. v2787 says: Aug 4, 2014 10:47 AM

In a difficult profession like football, no one deserves full blown respect unless/until they’ve earned it–not Schiano, not Bowers, not anyone. I’ve never understood why some people think they can just treat someone like a dog and that’s okay. On the other hand, it makes no sense to give anything less than your best at all times if you’re getting paid as much as these people are making. Both of these guys have issues, it seems. Neither of them are achieving great success in their profession, so obviously they have some things to work on.

19. mrlaloosh says: Aug 4, 2014 10:55 AM

Another Clemson bust. I’m looking at you Spiller.

20. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 4, 2014 10:56 AM

It would be interesting to find out exactly why Bowers hasn’t produced well so far, and I wonder if he ever mentioned his concerns to Schiano at the time. It can be very intimidating for a new player to speak up to a coach, but if it’s not working out then somebody needs to figure that out whether the coach realizing his methods aren’t working as hoped, or the player speaking up and saying they are really uncomfortable and not optimistic that progress is being made. Then you can sort things out and fix them or clarify them.

Something definitely went horribly wrong last year, as evidenced by the fact that Bowers only had 206 DEF snaps and 11 ST snaps.

At least he has finally aired these concerns so the new coaches can be sure to not make the same mistakes and to adjust to a way that gives Bowers his best chance to develop and become a good player. The good thing is that now that he has finally opened up and communicated about his problems/concerns, there is awareness of them and a disclosure of his desire to be better. There should be no reason for the new coaches to either help him become a star or figure out for sure if he is a bust.

Come 2015 I think he will be in the rightful spot that he belongs with no doubt about it, all that’s left to determine is if his new best friend is a coach or a couch.

21. gayforbrady says: Aug 4, 2014 11:03 AM

At least he didn’t say he was expecting to be the best in next 3 years.

22. raynman49 says: Aug 4, 2014 11:09 AM

Typical these days. Blame someone else.

23. TheWizard says: Aug 4, 2014 11:17 AM

I’m not saying I would have liked to play under Schiano, but a lot of people are invoking his name regarding their own shortcomings.

A little too convenient.

24. stevent92 says: Aug 4, 2014 11:24 AM

Drew Brees is flabbergasted

25. drudema says: Aug 4, 2014 11:32 AM

Things to pack for training camp:

1. toothbrush – check
    2. extra underwear – check
    3. NFL approved vitamins and supplements – check
    4. excuses for past poor performance – check
    5. preparing the blame for this season’s poor play on former coaches – working on it.

26. 941bucs says: Aug 4, 2014 12:55 PM

If that picture is accurate, schiano should not have been able to get to him in any way, without suffering a beat down

27. labucs says: Aug 4, 2014 5:21 PM

Why all the Haters? Give this guy a chance. He had injuries and had his chance to prove himself as a starter taken away from him by a coach he didn’t like. He himself admits he hasn’t been great. Why not a career year?

28. NFLJunkie says: Aug 4, 2014 6:02 PM

Like, three different people here have gotten all over this kid for “blaming someone else” when the quote from the article CLEARLY says he blames himself for not handling what Schiano threw at him.

I thought Bowers actually gave a pretty mature and articulate self-assessment, rather than trying to foist blame off on someone else,

Whether he can actually do anything about it and step his game up remains to be seen.

29. avanderlay says: Aug 4, 2014 11:09 PM

Don’t get down on yourself, Schiano screwed EVERYONE mentally. He singlehandedly managed to clusterf-ck the entire organization in 4-6 weeks this time last year.

30. newtoallthis23 says: Aug 5, 2014 9:22 AM

If this guy was a seventh round draft pick and was doing a reality show on the O network, he may have been cut already.