David Wilson advised to stop playing, says “I lived my dream”

David Wilson AP

All indications were that Giants running back David Wilson’s playing days were over after he reinjured his neck at camp and the Giants announced that doctors have made that suggestion to Wilson.

In a statement from the team, team doctor Russell Warren explained that recent examinations at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City have led him and Wilson’s surgeon Frank Cammisa Jr. to believe that Wilson would be putting himself at excessive risk of even more serious injuries if he continues to pursue a football career. Wilson is obviously free to pursue other opinions, but his words Monday were those of a man who was moving on to the next chapter in his life.

“I don’t want anybody to feel sorry for me, or pity me,” Wilson said. “I lived my dream. A lot of people only get to dream their dream. I lived that dream. Now I have a chance to dream another dream and live that, too.”

Wilson has been diagnosed with “diffuse cervical stenosis,” but does not need any further surgery or treatment to move on with a life that doesn’t include playing in the NFL. The 2012 first-round pick played 21 games for the Giants, rushing for 504 yards and scoring seven overall touchdowns that were usually followed by standing back flips. We wish him well in his future endeavors.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “David Wilson advised to stop playing, says “I lived my dream””
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 4, 2014 3:04 PM

Great attitude and I look forward to hearing more about what the next dream is!

2. niners816 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Man, what a humble dude. It’s good to see when guys can see the positive in a negative. Good luck with your future, Mr. Wilson!

3. mackcarrington says: Aug 4, 2014 3:07 PM

Yes, and Tom Coughlin probably thinks he’s a slacker.

4. thepftpoet says: Aug 4, 2014 3:08 PM

I have nothing but full respect for this man.

If I was in this situation I would be devastated.

It’s humbling, and great at the same time.

Proves there is a god.

5. pete2112 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:10 PM

Good guy. I wish him the best.

6. FlashPatterson says: Aug 4, 2014 3:10 PM

Wow.. I have mad respect for that statement. Dude had a ton of potential, it’s too bad he never got to use it.

7. chip56 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:11 PM

Hopefully the NY Giants can find a place for him in the organization much the way they did for Charles Way when his career was cut short by injury.

8. tedmurph says: Aug 4, 2014 3:11 PM

Sad, but he walks away with about 5 mil before taxes. Hope he takes care or his money.

9. mykpfsu says: Aug 4, 2014 3:13 PM

Shame, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and kudos to the Giants for allowing it to stay there.

10. kd75 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:14 PM

Andre Williams looked pretty good last night.

11. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 4, 2014 3:15 PM

Good luck!

12. bigbluplates says: Aug 4, 2014 3:15 PM

Not doing any backflips …

13. jawslsp says: Aug 4, 2014 3:16 PM

Hope that Giants kick return record stands forever.

14. Big Ant TV says: Aug 4, 2014 3:18 PM

Wish u luck kid. I see the giants have found some hidden gems sunday night via the running back williams and the wr named henry I think

15. billsfan says: Aug 4, 2014 3:18 PM

I have that. I have a plate and 8 screws with a C4-7 fusion. I cannot imagine me, him, or anyone with this engaging in the type of punishment related to being an NFL running back. Manning is even taking a big risk, although he isn’t getting slammed by 300lb. linemen or 250lb. LBs EVERY time he touches the ball.

Dream on Mr. Wilson and Gods speed.

16. mykpfsu says: Aug 4, 2014 3:18 PM

Hate the unfairness of life. Wilson’s career ended by a neck injury. Ray Rice could have caused a neck injury, only out 2 games.

17. chawkup says: Aug 4, 2014 3:22 PM

Goes out with class. Good luck David. I wish you the very best!

18. deltaoracle says: Aug 4, 2014 3:26 PM

Best wishes to him. Sounds like he has a level take on life.
    Hope JM Finley is listening.

19. kehav1 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:27 PM

Good Luck Dave.
    – Eagles Fan.

20. 23rdusernameused says: Aug 4, 2014 3:31 PM

news flash… back flips not good for back!
    anything with any impact at all, running, jogging, etc. is not good for your back!
    I had back surgery, it sucks!

21. thenewyorker718 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:31 PM

The man did his thing . Respect to him , that’s why we drafted 2 RBs , so we stay deep at that position!

22. andrewluck12 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:33 PM

What an amazing quote! Respect to you David Wilson

23. rdj444 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:42 PM

This is really a bummer for the guy. Doesn’t exactly help the Giants either.

24. shayeezy says: Aug 4, 2014 3:42 PM

it is a shame when a talent like this has to hang up the cleats, but it pales in comparison to him spending the rest of his life paralyzed. cheers to him for having the right attitude and finding another path to a fulfilling life.

25. bestbadteamaround says: Aug 4, 2014 3:44 PM

@thepftpoet This doesn’t prove a thing about the existence of any god, but nice try. What it does prove is that bad things happen to good people, and David Wilson is taking it with grace and humility. I wish him all the best.

26. vietnambob2473 says: Aug 4, 2014 3:46 PM

This is why these guys get payed what they do, it could all be over at any time. Especially at running back.

27. sfninersfan says: Aug 4, 2014 3:53 PM

Sad news for this dude, but I bet a ton of fantasy owners are relieved with not having to deal with all his injuries. Get better David and best of luck on your new dream.

28. sguire says: Aug 4, 2014 3:55 PM

Sad, one of my favorites. Positive, funny, talented…major star potential.

29. sloppyrooster says: Aug 4, 2014 3:59 PM

David Wilson

Best of luck. What an awesome quote.

30. GBwomenrhot says: Aug 4, 2014 4:00 PM

Good luck man, you’re a bigger man than most.

31. JackedUpSports says: Aug 4, 2014 4:02 PM

we’ll never know what could have been

32. gdive says: Aug 4, 2014 4:21 PM

Great attitude and I’m guessing he’ll find success in next endeavor.

The best part is he gets to move on without anything tragic happening to him.

33. mykpfsu says: Aug 4, 2014 4:24 PM

Here is a full statement from his twitter page:
    “At age 8 I told my #Dad I wanted to play football in THE NFL at this point in my life I have done that. Even Blessed to be drafted in the 1st round. Broke and set RECORDS, scored Touchdowns, and all that follows. It’s a great feeling to live a out dream. Unfortunately that has been paused but I am blessed that I am able to walk away from this game healthy and still able to be me with no restrictions pain or struggle and So all I ask is please don’t be sorry or pity ME that’s just one chapter life goes on and I’m glad I can live it. Once a Giant always a #Giant #pocketrocket”

34. rajbais says: Aug 4, 2014 4:24 PM

I’m sure he’s a good guy, but it’s sad that he couldn’t turn his career around when healthy.

Sometimes the thrill has to be put down for health. I hope he’s in a good place during retirement.

35. packerbackernj says: Aug 4, 2014 4:25 PM

If this proves there is a god, then god must really hate the Minny Vikings. Best of luck, David Wilson. You will do fine, with an attitude like that. Wish there were more players like him.

36. ibieiniid says: Aug 4, 2014 4:25 PM

Whoever’s throwing these thumbs down on the encouraging posts takes the game of football waaaaaay too seriously.

Signed,
    Eagles Fan.

37. father4 says: Aug 4, 2014 4:28 PM

David–all the best to you, keep GOD in front of you and let him guide you over life’s paths.

38. scoonie97 says: Aug 4, 2014 4:40 PM

In the name of competitive fairness, John Mara thinks Demarco Murray & Alfred Morris should be forced into earlier retirement as well.

39. Getoffmylawn! says: Aug 4, 2014 4:42 PM

Hope he gets to live out his next dream too. More players like him, less players like Ray Rice.

40. bigbaldpapahawk says: Aug 4, 2014 4:46 PM

Spoken like a man who took advantage of a free ride in college. Well done young man. Godspeed to you!

41. floreskins says: Aug 4, 2014 4:46 PM

thepftpoet says:
    Aug 4, 2014 3:08 PM
    I have nothing but full respect for this man.

If I was in this situation I would be devastated.

It’s humbling, and great at the same time.

Proves there is a god.
    ————————-
    How does this prove there is a god?

42. granadafan says: Aug 4, 2014 4:51 PM

Not a Giants fan, but I’m glad to see Wilson being able to walk away from the sport he grew up playing with such a great attitude. The diagnosis must have been devastating and the decision agonizing. I have a similar cervical issue in my neck and walking away from a potential career in skiing was tough but an easy decision. The key word is WALKING. Best of luck to David Wilson in whatever he does.

43. bigbosscrispy says: Aug 4, 2014 5:01 PM

Great first rd draft pick Mr.Reese… Everyone knew this guy was soft in college. Who was the last first round pick that did anything for us?

44. footballfan72 says: Aug 4, 2014 5:03 PM

Glad he’s not serous lyrics hurt and wish him the best in the future. As a cowboys fan, hate to see butterfingers leave the game. He was always good for a fumble or 2….

45. bassplucker says: Aug 4, 2014 5:06 PM

This guy, and Pinkston in Cleveland. Both essentially seeing their very young end NFL careers come to an end today. Both young and with bright futures… but in both cases, making the only sensible decision and seemingly, with a positive attitude.

Best wishes to both in their next phase.

46. schmokes says: Aug 4, 2014 5:22 PM

David Wilson, Jermichael Finley and Jonathan Franklin….3 promising careers cut short. It was a bad year for neck injuries last season.

47. patsfan13 says: Aug 4, 2014 5:26 PM

Glad to see an athlete know when it is time. I hope he invests the money he’s made, and uses, or completes his education. Hope he has a happy future.

48. stercuilus65 says: Aug 4, 2014 5:27 PM

Another Giants first round bust.

49. davekva72 says: Aug 4, 2014 5:39 PM

Wow, what a great attitude. Always sad to see somebody’s career cut short by injury. Good luck to you Mr. Wilson. Signed – A Cowboys fan.

50. fiddlinred says: Aug 4, 2014 5:47 PM

VA Tech backs have replaced Penn State backs for injury. Wilson, Ryan Williams and Kevin Jones all just couldn’t get healthy.

51. catfish252 says: Aug 4, 2014 5:53 PM

Best of everything in the future David, thank you for giving it your all, you did all Giants fans proud. Blessings

52. largent80100 says: Aug 4, 2014 6:04 PM

My respect and condolences for him. Career-ending injury at that age is really sad.

I wish you the best, David.

53. sportstalkprofessional says: Aug 4, 2014 6:12 PM

Best wishes David! shame we didn’t get to see your full potential, although being a Cowboys fan, I’m somewhat relieved of that. Looked like a promising talent. Best of luck with your future!

54. realityonetwo says: Aug 4, 2014 6:13 PM

My dream was to be in the Beatles. Didn’t happen.

55. Shinnbone says: Aug 4, 2014 6:27 PM

Well the World needs ditch diggers to.

56. logicalvoicescowboybrother says: Aug 4, 2014 6:35 PM

scoonie97 says: Aug 4, 2014 4:40 PM

—————————————————————-

I surprised that Mara has not requested draft pick from the rest of the NFC East because of the injury ~ smh.

57. bigwalt2990 says: Aug 4, 2014 7:08 PM

Stay classy.

58. milkcan44 says: Aug 4, 2014 7:27 PM

Yes, Wilson, Finley, Franklin. Teams should check out whether former White Sox outfielder Walt (No Neck) Williams has any sons.

59. Most of you would be rapturous if your team won just one measly Super Bowl. We won it once, then again, and again, and again, yet again, oh, look, another one. You shrivel in our shadow. We define greatness. We built the NFL. We are the Steelers. says: Aug 4, 2014 7:41 PM

What a bust.

60. chicagofan4ever says: Aug 4, 2014 8:04 PM

I think it is Poetic Justice that David Wilson played for a team called the Giants, because dude has GIANT CHARACTER!!! He is going to be just fine and we probably have not heard the last of him in a positive manner!

61. klink6224 says: Aug 4, 2014 8:13 PM

Die hard Eagles fan here. Despite what he said you can’t help but feel bad for the guy. He obviously had the skills to be a very good pro. Hate to see a career cut short without much time to showcase his skills and hard work. Shame for both him and the Giants

62. kev86 says: Aug 4, 2014 8:21 PM

Once a Giant, Always a Giant.

63. harrypairotestes says: Aug 5, 2014 12:05 AM

Here’s wishing nothing but the best! A true class act from the beginning! You and your talents will be missed.

64. osufan2383 says: Aug 7, 2014 9:12 AM

It amazes me how people can make such stupid and useless comments on a guy who just found out he can not do the job he loves anymore. Instead of acting like a bunch of buffoons why don’t you keep your unintelligent comments to yourselves and give the guy some respect. He was a running back who had potential to be great. Yes he had fumbling problems, but so did Tiki Barber before Coughlin got to the Giants. He was a genuinely nice person who I met at an autograph signing and he was more than happy to take time to talk to you about the upcoming season. He was a class act on and off the field and some people just need to quit while they are ahead. There are reasons many of those stupid comments have more dislikes than likes.