Jeremy Maclin working through soreness, says he’ll play preseason opener

Jeremy Maclin AP

The Eagles held wide receiver Jeremy Maclin out of team drills for the third time in the last four practices on Tuesday, which raises some questions about the state of his knee after last year’s torn ACL.

Maclin said that he’s experiencing soreness in his legs, but thinks it is just part of the process of moving from rehab to a more expansive practice schedule. He also said that he remains on track to play against the Bears in the team’s preseason opener on Friday.

“It’s just protocol, I guess,” Maclin said, via PhillyMag.com. “I haven’t missed a day since I’ve been out here. It’s just communication between me, my coaches and the training staff. I could’ve gone if really, really need be, I would’t have felt like myself, that’s all.”

Riley Cooper also missed team drills with his foot still in a walking boot, leaving rookie Jordan Matthews to get more work with the first team. As long as the veterans are healthy when the regular season comes, that extra work should wind up helping Matthews jump right into a complementary role this season. Should Maclin and/or Cooper experience longer-lasting problems, however, the Eagles will have to rely on Matthews more than is ideal for a first-year player.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Jeremy Maclin working through soreness, says he’ll play preseason opener”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 5, 2014 4:45 PM

Jeremy is “working through something”. In his case, soreness.

2. doctorrustbelt says: Aug 5, 2014 4:54 PM

The Eagles Offense is going to have to work through the soreness of not having DeSean Jackson’s 1300 yards and 9 tds.

3. mungman69 says: Aug 5, 2014 4:55 PM

The Eagles should win that division but if they play in the playoffs like last year, well,
    el goodbyo.

4. dcmichael88 says: Aug 5, 2014 4:55 PM

The Eagles are going to be a bust this year. Nick Foles is way overrated and will get exposed. Chip Kelly will be coaching USC in 2 years.

5. gumbogumbo says: Aug 5, 2014 4:59 PM

Heal up Jeremy! Preseason means nothing.

6. jam11163 says: Aug 5, 2014 5:08 PM

Cue the hatters

7. nickfootball13 says: Aug 5, 2014 5:08 PM

Dcmicheal88 you have no idea what ur talking about. Eagles are easily the best team in the division and won’t be a bust

8. bigbluepa83 says: Aug 5, 2014 5:36 PM

The eagles will for sure b a bust! Whos there 3rd receiver? ? Just another disappointing year for the boys who never won nothing but a couple of championships back in what, the 40’s or 50’s? Lmao

9. bigblu73 says: Aug 5, 2014 6:57 PM

Can’t wait to see this receiving core against Big Blues Secondary!!!
    Drc, Fresh Prince of NY, Thurmond III, Stevie B, & Trel. Can you say Shady better be phenomenal? ?

10. bleedgreen says: Aug 5, 2014 7:31 PM

Haven’t the Eagles beaten the Giants like, 20 out of the last 24 times they’ve played? And all Shady has done is run roughshod over them every single time? I’m not saying the Eagles are going to win the Super Bowl but if my team didn’t make the playoffs last year or the year before, and has historically (in the past 10-15 years) been pushed around by a team, I’d keep my mouth shut.

11. eaglesnoles05 says: Aug 5, 2014 7:39 PM

Some players need full Tcamp every day, some don’t. Some players it’s good to work them to death in Tcamp, some players it’s not.

It’s the case on every team.

12. thefootballgodssay says: Aug 5, 2014 7:57 PM

in 2 games in 2013 shady had a total 94 YARDS CAN U SAY SHADY GOT SHUT DOWN

13. bleedgreen says: Aug 5, 2014 8:13 PM

Don’t forget the the QB was for 85% of the 2nd game. Matt Barkley. Its easy to put 9+ in the box to stop someone when Matt Barkley is the QB. You’re also discounting the 78 receiving yards across 2 games. Not STELLAR numbers, but its a 76 yards a game average all things considered.

14. sbboundgiants says: Aug 5, 2014 9:05 PM

Eagles are missing Desean already. It’s gonna be a long season for Foles without any healthy receivers!

15. mungman69 says: Aug 5, 2014 9:26 PM

Some sad comments.

16. thefootballgodssay says: Aug 5, 2014 10:05 PM

lol with that matt barkley comment shadt had more years with matt and less yards with nick

17. wolf0528 says: Aug 5, 2014 10:18 PM

So many trolls

18. janvanflac says: Aug 5, 2014 10:20 PM

DeSean has been sitting on the sidelines with a hammy, as has Pierre Garcon, and Odell Beckham for that matter.

Maclin is fine, and has looked good in camp. Rookie Jordan Matthews looks like he might turn out to be the best WR in the draft this year, and Riley Cooper is solid. Throw in Sproles and Ertz and the Eagles have more receiving targets than anyone.

19. tomcoughlinsdiaper says: Aug 6, 2014 12:11 AM

Big blue- you listed some dbacks as if they were good…Drc was cut by Philly and not kept in Denver…can we say hand me down? Thurmond was good in Seattle, but when you have two lockdown corners, and the best safeties I’m football, I think even Jason sehorn would look good if he played there now.

I live when teams get retreaded players, who are all name amd haven’t performed, all of a sudden they fix the team.

Besides, same garbage oline as last year, might be even worse actually, alligator arms Pugh, and the jugs machine qb throwing to the secondary…new year, same garbage, ran by garbage. The giants plan of going 8 n 8, sneaking into the playoffs, relying in two punt muffs, a helmet catch, and other lottery percentage plays is over.

Let me guess rashad jennings, back up in Oakland last year, is going to fix your running woes too?

20. bigblu73 says: Aug 6, 2014 2:27 AM

janvanflac says:
    Aug 5, 2014 10:20 PM

********************************************************************************************

You say “Maclin is fine”.

The reports say he’s been missing time due to leg soreness. I’m sure you know more than they do!(Rolls Eyes)

“Jordan Matthews looks like he might turn out to be the best WR in the draft this year”.

Can you at least wait till he does something in a pre-season game before you start spewing ignorance for christ’s sake! Looking good in Practice, really practice???? Especially against your secondary, who doesn’t look good against them???Lol

“Racist Cooper is Solid”

Let’s be realistic, if its OK with you. The guy has been in the league for 4 years and has a total of 93 catches for 1500+ yards! He flashed last season but not hardly “solid” by any stretch of the imagination. You have to do something atleast twice for it to be considered a “trend” what you’re doing here is nothing more than WISHFUL THINKING!

“throw in Sproles and Ertz and the Eagles have more receiving targets than anyone”

BWHAHAHAHA!!! That’s a good one!!!
    DJAX , GARCON, ROBERTS, MOSS, REED, ROBINSON

21. bigblu73 says: Aug 6, 2014 2:36 AM

bleedgreen says:
    Aug 5, 2014 7:31 PM

I can’t even believe I’m responding to an Iggles Fan!LOL As another poster has previously responded, with 2 opportunities SHADY rushed for a WHOPPING 94 Yards against us last season!!!

Yeah, we missed the playoffs the last 2 years, SO WHAT. We’ve also won 2 SUPERBOWLS within the last 7 Years!!!

HOW U DOIN?

22. iamdinguskhan says: Aug 6, 2014 4:40 AM

Face it Eagles fans some dumb decision making by your “genius” coach. Quit trying to put rookie in the hall of fame when he hasn’t even seen live action…the list of bust rookie receivers a lot more talented than Mathews is very long. And Maclin has a history of injuries and is coming off a ACL plus has never had a 1000 yd season neither has Cooper who should be no better than a slot receiver. Oh yeah Chips system is so much better than any other NFL offense he can use anyone at receiver. Don’t you see how dumb that sounds? As far as DJAX he is practicing and Revis said he looks awesome. Yes that’s a real NFL corner.
    In Chip we Trust…LOL
    HTTR

23. therealtrenches says: Aug 6, 2014 8:22 AM

MAJOR eagles fan here…

Maclin is a gifted wide receiver, but it’s foolish to think that he can last a season as the go-to guy. He may not be “made of glass” like the Philly doomsayers will tell you, but I *guarantee* you that he will miss a few games.

My own theory is that Chip Kelly’s decision to jettison DeSean and go with Maclin as “the man” is partially the result of his belief that while Maclin has had his injury troubles in the past, his own “revolutionary” training regimen would keep Maclin healthy again. I like what Chip has done with the team, but at the end of the day, his ego is even bigger than Reid’s. And I’m sure DeSean was a *major* headache in the locker room and the front office, but I think the decision to release him for a Cooper / Maclin tandem will prove to be hubristic.

24. greeniggles says: Aug 6, 2014 8:35 AM

I hate to break it to all you optimistic Redskins fans…. your O Line is still horrendous, good luck getting the ball to this receiving core. Do you not remember that your starting savior of a QB was BENCHED LAST YEAR because your O Line was so awful hahaha

25. scoonie97 says: Aug 6, 2014 8:35 AM

Ha. Eagle fans like to talk about a couple of regular season wins vs the Giants… that’s cute.

26. greeniggles says: Aug 6, 2014 8:50 AM

^ to be honest with you most Eagles fans don’t even give the Giants the time of day. Not worth my time. Next subject please

27. rrhoe says: Aug 6, 2014 9:32 AM

@therealtrenches:

An honest Eagle fan,I commend you……

As for the Jordan Matthews debate,let’s let the guy play a few games first,the list of receivers who had good college careers but couldn’t make it in the NFL is quite long.

28. bigblu73 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:02 AM

bleedgreen says:
    Aug 5, 2014 7:31 PM

76-84-2

That’s the career record of the Eagles vs Big Blue!! YOU LOSE!!

Shady “ran roughshod” over the G-Men to the laughable tune of 47 YPG!

Anymore Myths you need for me to Bust??

29. eaglesnoles05 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:20 AM

Haha Scoonie we can talk about the playoff wins too if you want? It’d be just as irrelevant to the now as talking about NYG SBs.

I don’t get it… It’s ok that we are better that you now. Your time will come again, and you have been the better team in the past before.

Until then, take it like a man. All of yall. You know who you are.

30. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Aug 6, 2014 4:59 PM

Words to the Eagle lovers and haters..they led the nfl in RUSHING don’t doubt the mad scientist Chip Kelly as he fields two of the top five pass catching rbs in the league last year and multiple te formations this year as he digs deeper into his playbook..Matthews,Maclin and company will only be a sideshow