Kevin Greene back on the practice field with Eagles

Kevin Greene AP

Kevin Greene walked away from his job on the Packers coaching staff to spend more time with his family.

But he’ll never get football out of his blood.

The man who is third on the NFL’s all-time sack list stopped by Eagles camp at the invitation of former coach Bill Davis, and worked with the pass-rushers there during practice.

I’ve been picking his brain as much as I can,” Brandon Graham said, via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com. “He’s giving us a whole lot, and it doesn’t stop when he leaves. We have to keep harping on it and remember what he said. So far, so good. It’s just all about staying consistent, master a couple rushes and a couple counter moves and perfect it. That’s what he did. I feel like I’m getting a whole lot out of it.”

Greene moved back to Florida after leaving the Packers staff this offseason, and now gets to spend time working with his son Gavin, a sophomore in high school. He didn’t rule out a return to coaching at some point, but seemed content now.

“I don’t miss coaching at all,” Greene said. “I’m doing the same thing with my son that I did with Clay [Matthews] and all my kids there in Green Bay. I’m having the time of my life.

“It’s fun just being a dad. I’m a dad. I’m just a dad. Get my son to practice, I bring him home, put him out in the field and work on some stuff. Father-son time. Really cool.”

Greene’s passion for the game is one of his defining characteristics, along with his long career of excellent production.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Kevin Greene back on the practice field with Eagles”
  1. daburgher says: Aug 5, 2014 7:49 AM

One of my all time favorite steelers

2. joetoronto says: Aug 5, 2014 7:50 AM

This guy was an absolute monster on the field, what a motor.

3. godofwine330 says: Aug 5, 2014 8:33 AM

I have long been an advocate of getting him in the Hall. He was one dominant pass rusher his entire career. I know that he will get in eventually, but why he isn’t in already is kind of a travesty.

I’m glad that he is enjoying his life and spending time coaching his kid. I’m sure that when his kids go off to college he will find his way back to coaching. One helluva character – one of the best in NFL history. NFL Films has allowed me and much of the world to see who he was as a player, including the wild wacky stuff.

4. geezohman says: Aug 5, 2014 8:36 AM

(we loved having him in Pittsburgh, the 60 minute men, great defense team, total team… fun to watch, exciting, too bad Cowher only got one win of a Super Bowl all them years… Coaches, football players screwed up in the Super Bowl against Dallas… choked on interceptions, poor communication with QB..receivers, but I’m over that ! lol, lol

5. 23rdusernameused says: Aug 5, 2014 8:40 AM

Good story, good guy.
    Hope he teaches some guys how to be a better pass rusher/QB killer!
    Go Birds!

6. robrocker1959 says: Aug 5, 2014 8:48 AM

Cuz-
    Kep it up, being a dad lasts only a short while. I hope you get into Canton before another Panther does.
    Georgia Cousin

7. linemanguy74 says: Aug 5, 2014 8:48 AM

Good for him,he gets it

8. jwcarlson says: Aug 5, 2014 8:50 AM

A joke that this guy wasn’t a first ballot HOFer.

9. 700levelvet says: Aug 5, 2014 8:55 AM

Here’s the difference Brandon… Kevin Greene was a stud, and you are a bust… That about sums it up…Pretty simple huh

10. In Teddy We Trust says: Aug 5, 2014 10:10 AM

He left Green Bay because he didn’t want to be coaching players who were older than he is.

11. bengalskuta82 says: Aug 5, 2014 11:23 AM

Ive never seen him before but I have heard his name being mention a lot by Coach Lewis

12. 2difshoe says: Aug 5, 2014 1:03 PM

Antonio Cromartie is shaking his head.

13. emoney826 says: Aug 5, 2014 1:23 PM

In teddy we trust,

And name a player that’s older than him? A lot of times I think what you say is knowledgeable but other times I unfortunately have to group you in with trolls like thepftpoet.

It’s sad that there isn’t a website that exists where adults can have real conversations without badgering other teams fans. This site has too much of that and lowers the credibility of some fans.

14. sgcrys says: Aug 5, 2014 1:39 PM

At times like these I feel good about my policy of loving football but refusing to visit or have anything else to do with the Hall of Fame. The process is too political, and I still have no idea why sports writers (though a respected profession) should be the ones voting.

Greene is not alone in deserving enshrinement yet being denied without a good reason.

15. axespray says: Aug 5, 2014 2:16 PM

Awesome Dude, awesome player, also an awesome coach (“it is time!”) – hope he gets his hall of fame jacket soon.

16. ariani1985 says: Aug 5, 2014 2:17 PM

Even when he was coaching in turd bay he still was the best LB on the field!

17. tokyofilthblaster says: Aug 5, 2014 3:42 PM

I wonder if he wears his Packer Superbowl ring to practice.

18. lowdownmofo says: Aug 5, 2014 4:07 PM

In Teddy We Trust:
    Players that are 32+ years of age in the NFC North:
    Vikings – 4
    Lions – 3
    Packers – 1
    Bears – 10

Try again guy.

19. vikescry1 says: Aug 5, 2014 10:45 PM

Only Bruce Smith and Reggie White have more sacks in league history, and he’s always taken being first among linebackers as a badge of pride, one that should eventually land him in Canton. ———————————————————————————————————————————————————— he belongs in canton now! this guy is a true class act, my son was lucky enough to get his autograph at last years packers family night. he was a beast on the field, he will be missed on the greenbay sidelines. i wish him the best.