Knee injury will keep Colt Lyerla out for “weeks”

Colt Lyerla Jumal Rolle AP

Tight end Colt Lyerla’s college career came to an abrupt end last year when he was arrested on drug charges, but the Packers decided to take a flyer that his on-field talent could overcome his off-field red flags.

He may have to wait until 2015 to make that case. Lyerla injured his knee during Saturday night’s practice at Lambeau Field when he was hit by Jarrett Bush after hurdling Jumal Rolle and coach Mike McCarthy said Monday that the rookie would be out for “weeks” while he’s recovering.

“I was just trying to make the most of my opportunity and I got a shot, I got a pass, caught it and had the adrenaline and tried to show a little bit of my athleticism,” Lyerla said, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Missing a few weeks at this point is going to make it almost impossible for Lyerla to make the team out of training camp. They drafted Richard Rodgers in May to go with Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor and Brandon Bostick. That┬álikely will leave the Packers with the choice of waiting to stash him on injured reserve or waiving him injured and running the risk of losing him to another team’s waiver claim and it will be a long wait for Lyerla, who hasn’t played a game since early October in 2013, to fully resume his playing career.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Knee injury will keep Colt Lyerla out for “weeks””
  1. In Teddy We Trust says: Aug 5, 2014 10:02 AM

I guess we’ll have to put a hold on that order for a Hall of Fame bust. The worst thing about this is that now we have to listen to Packer fans tell us how great he’s going to be for another year.

2. scoops1 says: Aug 5, 2014 10:03 AM

had high hopes for this kid despite his character and off the field issues….

oh well…GB has 4 other TEs

3. hansenbrothers says: Aug 5, 2014 10:24 AM

He’s gonna end up on PUP, practice squad, or IR.

4. bordner says: Aug 5, 2014 10:33 AM

Hopefully, it’s not season-ending, but it will make it that much harder for him to make the team even if it’s not. It sounds like Rodgers (TE) has been having a great camp anyway, and if Quarless can step it up a little, the Packers should be just fine without him.

And even with one bad leg and never having played a down in the NFL, he’s still better than anything they have over there on the wrong side of the Mississippi.

5. longhairdontcare66 says: Aug 5, 2014 10:34 AM

I hope he heals up- off the field issues aside his playing style really reminded me of Aaron Hernandez

6. clipper522 says: Aug 5, 2014 10:44 AM

Classic Colt. It wasn’t a complete game in Oregon unless he jumped over 3 defenders.

7. stellarperformance says: Aug 5, 2014 10:51 AM

Are you kidding me? Why is this team snakebit with multiple injuries every year?

8. elmoron says: Aug 5, 2014 11:03 AM

————————————————–
    It’s the cheese.

But sorry to hear it. I was pulling for the kid.

9. purpleguy says: Aug 5, 2014 11:14 AM

I wouldn’t wish injuries on anyone, even this guy — but man does he have a disgusting past.

10. beerbratscheese says: Aug 5, 2014 12:06 PM

Tons of potential, but there was no way he was making the team with his performance to date. I never want to see a kid get hurt, but IR would be the best place for him now. It’d give him a full year to learn the system, grow up a bit more and prepare to showcase his talents next year.

11. gforce4all says: Aug 5, 2014 12:17 PM

Let’s go Finley!!

12. 2difshoe says: Aug 5, 2014 12:47 PM

If he doesn’t make the team, maybe he should consider returning to school and taking an English refresher course.

13. ariani1985 says: Aug 5, 2014 2:12 PM

I remember the cheese trolls were already anointing him the greatest TE of all time this spring! In turd you still trust?

14. axespray says: Aug 5, 2014 2:18 PM

longhairdontcare66 says:
    Aug 5, 2014 10:34 AM
    ——————————
    Not sure I feel comfortable with any Aaron Hernandez comparisons.

15. icebowler says: Aug 5, 2014 2:24 PM

Ever since Nick Collin’s career ending injury, I cringe whenever I see a hurdle play.

16. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 5, 2014 2:27 PM

Stuck in GB and unable to play football. Ouch.

17. bsubeavers says: Aug 5, 2014 2:28 PM

Well that is to bad, he was looking pretty good in practice and it sounded like he was making a good impression.

To echo an earlier post, here is hoping he at least lands a spot on the teams PUP, IR or practice squad.

He is a great athlete with loads of potential and a higher ceiling than some of the other guys on the roster right now.

18. jkindler429 says: Aug 5, 2014 2:50 PM

He wasn’t having a good camp ,Ir the best thing for him.

19. tokyofilthblaster says: Aug 5, 2014 3:40 PM

Some long odds just got exponentially longer.

20. packfanaj12 says: Aug 7, 2014 2:53 PM

He was not going to start this year, as others have said he was not having a great camp… The sky is still the limit with Colt, however he was not in shape when he arrived and needs a year to firm up his reputation before he plays any regular season games.