Bears add receiver Greg Herd after injury to Marquess Wilson

Cyrus Coen, Greg Herd AP

With Marquess Wilson suffering a broken clavicle this week that required surgery, the Chicago Bears have added a receiver to their roster to bolster their depth at the position.

The team announced they have signed receiver Greg Herd and waived linebacker Conor O’Neill.

Herd signed with the Seattle Seahawks last year after going undrafted out of Eastern Washington University. He was released with an injury settlement last August and also spent some time with the Dallas Cowboys.

Herd caught 165 passes for 2,348 yards and 17 touchdowns in his final three collegiate seasons.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Bears add receiver Greg Herd after injury to Marquess Wilson”
  1. jacobslatter says: Aug 6, 2014 1:50 AM

Whoa! For a sec I thought receiver Sam Hurd was back 4 da Bears. In n’ out of prison like Ron Mexico.

2. bassplucker says: Aug 6, 2014 7:11 AM

This tells me the Bears are done for good with Earl Bennett, who was available. I’ve never heard of this kid, but he did have decent production in college and at 6’3 200 lbs he’s practically a Marquess Wilson clone.

3. deweyaxewound says: Aug 6, 2014 11:20 AM

My hope was/is that they take a good hard look at Josh Cribbs as a viable #3 – he’s got decent size/height and experience, plus might be able to help fill the void in the return game with the departure of Hester.

However, I think Trestman & co. are generally thinking they can find/develop one their own younger, faster prospects.

In Trestman I trust – but I still think the Bears are going to be feeling some pain as a result of the loss of impact we’re accustomed to having on special teams.

4. bassplucker says: Aug 6, 2014 12:13 PM

The Bears special teams last year were horrible. Very little contribution on kick/punt returns and gave up that 100+ yd game opening return to Cordarelle Patterson, among other things.

In addition, this year they are having to also break in a new long-snapper. They have two in camp and neither of them are doing very well. As a Bears fan I’m not optimistic about that unit this season.

5. beardownfromcali says: Aug 6, 2014 2:50 PM

If special teams is our biggest concern, we should be grateful! Years past it was QB, WR, OL, OL, Defense.

“Special Teams wins championship”
    – Noone

6. deweyaxewound says: Aug 7, 2014 10:44 AM

ST: It’s one of the most under-rated aspects of the Pro game.

Seriously now, as Bears fans – we of all people should be able to appreciate the importance and impact it has had and can have on the outcomes of games.
    Over the years, between Azumah and Gould and Hester and Danieal Manning, returns and turnovers, etc. Often games are decided by a play or two, and often those plays are on ST. I hated seeing the loss of Dave Toub, because I think he was/is one of the best. Special teams play has made the difference in many games, and carried the Bears through a lot of victories. Just because we’re now all in love with our new high-powered Trestcoast offense, something we’ve never had before, I don’t think we should lose sight of how important that aspect of the team/game is, and HISTORICALLY has been for the Bears.

Bear Down.

7. beardownfromcali says: Aug 7, 2014 7:05 PM

Agree to disagree.

I remember Hester running over Vinatieri. Our special teams (like our Defense) was good enough to get us to the big game, but not enough to win it.

A Bears offense headed into a second season with some consistency? I’m pumped!