David Wilson bids tearful farewell to Giants

Wilson AP

Running back David Wilson, a first-round choice only two years ago, has been forced to retire from football due to a recurring neck problem.  At a Wednesday press conference, he said goodbye to the game with a flood of emotion.

These are tears of joy, man,” Wilson said, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News.  “Don’t for a second you all think that I’m pitying myself or sad, because I got to live my dream. . . .

“These are tears of joy because as I speak I realize how much people have helped me along the way.  When you push the pause button you can look at all that. But I plan on pushing play real soon.”

When he presses play on his life, he won’t be playing football.  But he’ll be paying attention to those who still do.

“I’ll be looking at my teammates this year and forever, wishing them the best,” Wilson said.  “And every time I watch a Giants game or a football game and see people play that I actually had a chance to meet, I want to see them try to be great.  Because it can be taken away.  So when they go on the field I want to see them, every Sunday or Thursday or Monday, I want to see them guys be great, see them push themselves. . . .  That’s where my joy will come from.”

Wilson’s comments underscore the reality that a football career can be very brief, and that players need to get the most out of football before football gets everything out of them.  That includes getting the most money they can for putting their football careers and long-term health at risk on a consistent basis.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “David Wilson bids tearful farewell to Giants”
  1. bergencountyjc says: Aug 6, 2014 4:06 PM

No reason why he can’t get involved with the player association.

2. bassplucker says: Aug 6, 2014 4:10 PM

Wow… talk about a guy who really seems to have his act together. Here’s a kid who is literally saying goodbye to millions of dollars of possible future earnings — through no fault of his own — and still staying positive. That’s class.

I hope he lands on his feet with a nice paying job that brings him a lot of happiness going forward. He appears to be more than worthy of it.

3. dprouse says: Aug 6, 2014 4:11 PM

That’s tough to see. Here’s a young guy who wants to play more than anything, but his body simply won’t allow it. As the saying goes, sometimes you are done with football, and sometimes football is done with you. It’s a cruel sport at times…

4. scothawk says: Aug 6, 2014 4:11 PM

A month ago I wished I was half the athlete this guy is.

Today I wish I was half as nice a guy as he is.

5. hanspard says: Aug 6, 2014 4:13 PM

Quality guy.

6. deltaoracle says: Aug 6, 2014 4:15 PM

What a classy kid. I wish him well, but am confident he won’t need anyone’s wishes to have a lot of success in life.

7. chinahand11 says: Aug 6, 2014 4:17 PM

This kid just had his dream snatched away and he’s ready to move on. Such class for a young man of that age. Someone should hire him. Any position.

8. wlubake says: Aug 6, 2014 4:21 PM

Fortunately he made about $5.5 million during his career. Hope he saved some. He seems like a thoughtful guy, and will likely find a good next gig. Good luck to him. Enjoyed getting to see his handful of explosive plays.

9. whysomanylosers says: Aug 6, 2014 4:23 PM

bassplucker says:
    Aug 6, 2014 4:10 PM

______________________________

He did make millions… and you seem to imply it was someone else fault. Sometimes life “just isn’t fair…”

He does have the ability to earn those millions, he is in his early 20s, and if he works hard, he can still make millions.

Seems like a good kid.

10. rcali says: Aug 6, 2014 4:24 PM

My response to the author of this article about how players need to get all the money they can from football is “They need did to get everything they can out of that free education.” The market will dictate their player salary. Wilson was lucky enough to get one big payday, for most that does not happen.

11. jjb0811 says: Aug 6, 2014 4:25 PM

Ironic how Flo votes O, yet decries everyone get as much money as possible.

12. JackedUpSports says: Aug 6, 2014 4:25 PM

Absolute stud. Wish him the best. Could have been an all-timer in a different offense with a head coach that wasn’t out to get him every week.

13. hwentworth says: Aug 6, 2014 4:32 PM

Respect to David Wilson. If more people could respond to adversity the way he does, we’d all be considerably better off.

And while I certainly get the sentiment, the cash grab language at the end somewhat ruined the feel the whole post. One of those, universally
    understood/not necessary to verbalize sort of things.

14. pilot2011 says: Aug 6, 2014 4:35 PM

He is a really good dude. Unique, really. He went to class at V-Tech wearing a button down and a tie every day, some days an entire suit.

He’s well-liked and intelligent. Perfect ingredients for a successful career, whatever that turns out to be.

15. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 6, 2014 4:40 PM

I really feel for Wilson…. talented player that will forever live with what could and should have been….. but, hopefully he catches some breaks and has a nice life… my daughter was at his best game last year and he stayed after game and signed for all….. he seems like a a good guy

All the best, David!

16. dallassux says: Aug 6, 2014 4:50 PM

Full of class. Too bad their fanbase isn’t.

17. billco6192013 says: Aug 6, 2014 4:57 PM

GOOD GUY AND ENJOYED HEARING ABOUT HIM.BEST OF LUCK , COME BACK TO VISIT THE GIANTS WHENEVER YOU GET A CHANCE.LETS GO BIG BLUE.RUNNING BACK BY COMMITEE.JENNINGS AND WILLIAMS,WHAT A ONE TWO PUNCH.COME FOURTH QUARTER BI BLUE WILL JUST CRUSH IT.

18. nard100 says: Aug 6, 2014 4:58 PM

DW – Thanks for the memories and all NYG fans wish you the best!

19. ravenswhat says: Aug 6, 2014 5:00 PM

I hope this guy realizes his next dream as well. You can’t teach class like this guy has.

20. edithpiaf51 says: Aug 6, 2014 5:03 PM

I wish David Wilson the best of luck and blessings; This is very difficult and he is staying positive. He is a classy person and I hope the Giants can find him an administrative position so he can at least work close to the sport he loves. I wish him and his family prayers and blessings.

21. chargersdiehard says: Aug 6, 2014 5:12 PM

What a great attitude about it. This guy will succeed no matter what he chooses to do with a tude’ like that.

22. bostonbadass says: Aug 6, 2014 5:14 PM

Kids like this don’t grow on trees. What a classy & humble kid. Takes a lot of guts to walk away from something that you worked your whole life for. Congrats & god bless you.

Something tells me we have not seen the last of this young man. ..

23. selliott504 says: Aug 6, 2014 5:32 PM

Godspeed David Wilson! With your talent and class, can’t wait for your next chapter. You may not have been in the NFL long but you leave a distinct mark as a man of character!

24. jimjets says: Aug 6, 2014 5:35 PM

This is a good kid. Wish him the best

25. roadtrip3500 says: Aug 6, 2014 5:55 PM

If you get a chance to watch the whole 12 minute presser (available at the Giants website), Wilson explained he was as proud of his grades as his athletic skill, and it was those grades that got him the VaTech scholarship. Several times, he had to stop and wipe his eyes or face with a handkerchief, but came back with a smile quickly.

This 23 year old man sees the big picture when many of his peers are more concerned with spending their newfound riches and partying… this is one of those “faith in humanity restoration” moments.

26. floratiotime says: Aug 6, 2014 6:17 PM

On the plus side, he doesn’t have to put up with all the fans from the other NFC East teams spitting beer at him and stammering obscenities.

27. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 6, 2014 6:27 PM

What an inspiring thing to say. Tons of respect for DW.

28. kev86 says: Aug 6, 2014 7:02 PM

Once a Giant, always a Giant.

29. dac458 says: Aug 6, 2014 7:34 PM

I’ll miss you David. This guy had amazing talent and I targeted him last year in my fantasy league to have an amazing season and traded for him. Very unfortunate for David with the events that took place in his career but Wilson is the kind of man that will make the most of every new opportunity he faces.

All the best D Wilson……Pats Nation

30. 2difshoe says: Aug 6, 2014 7:51 PM

Martelles Bennett…you listening ?

Bear fan !

31. tyler4richardson says: Aug 6, 2014 9:30 PM

I’ve mocked his fumbling “issues”…….. Wish him nothing but the best in life. Classy individual.

32. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 6, 2014 10:12 PM

Man…. I’m choking up.
    Good luck, bro. Be successful. Use the drive that got you to the NFL to reach success someplace else.