Eagles talking about bringing back kelly green uniforms

Los Angeles Raiders v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

The Eagles hired Chip Kelly to be their head coach last year and he could be coaching players in kelly green uniforms at some time in the future.

Eagles president Don Smolenski was a guest on WIP Radio in Philadelphia on Wednesday and said that the team has talked to the NFL about a return to the look they sported until 1996, when they switched to their current look.

“We have talked about it and there are some rules with the NFL that provides some restrictions that we’re trying to work through, but that’s going to take some time,” Smolenski said. “It’s there, and it’s something that we do talk about, but until some things change at the NFL level it’s going to provide restrictions for us. It is being talked about it, yes.”

Smolenski didn’t outline the specific restrictions, although they may have to do with a waiting period for major uniform alterations. If that’s the case, there shouldn’t be much stopping the Eagles from making the move if they decide that a return to the look that Chuck Bednarik, Wilbert Montgomery, Reggie White and others sported when they played in Philly.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
68 Responses to “Eagles talking about bringing back kelly green uniforms”
  1. nehxas says: Aug 6, 2014 10:25 AM

Been wanting my Jets to do the same. One of them should. I love the Kelly green uniforms.

2. thepftpoet says: Aug 6, 2014 10:27 AM

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

The Eagles have Zero Superbowls in their existence….

3. uncledick says: Aug 6, 2014 10:29 AM

I think just about all the fans would approve.

4. osiris33 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:30 AM

Nooooooo! Best unis in football. Don’t change them!

5. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 6, 2014 10:31 AM

Those abysmal Ron Jaworski/Bill Bergey kelly green unis are hideous.

The Eagles finally have a cool look with their Brian Dawkins/Shady McCoy unis, and they’re going to regress into that hideous retro look from hell???

You have to be kidding me.

Use those unwatchable unis on that one week a season we revert to throwbacks. If I heard the Steelers were converting to the bumble bee gear permanently, let’s just say there’d be an immediate raid on my liquor cabinet.

6. byrneforest says: Aug 6, 2014 10:31 AM

YESSSSSS!!!!!! Bring back the Kelly green

7. stoogy says: Aug 6, 2014 10:33 AM

Thepftpoet dont they have the same amount of superbowls as your beloved vikings?

8. 700levelvet says: Aug 6, 2014 10:33 AM

I know it’s a money ploy, but just do it…I’d buy a jersey just to put on my old mans grave…the memories I have with my pop and uncles at the vet, are more meaningful to me with each passing day..the tailgating, the realization that they were good men, who took care of their families, but lunatics on Sundays… Makes me smile… Just do it

9. chief4ever says: Aug 6, 2014 10:34 AM

I think they should come back with the Kelly green uni’s with the white helmet and the green wings on it…sorry, just kidding. Those were some ugly uniforms.

10. bunkslurpscrabmustard says: Aug 6, 2014 10:34 AM

I’m trying to understand the “NFL restrictions” on this. The NFL is greedier than a group of 40 year old hedge fund managers so the flood gates should be open for uniform changes and greater merchandise sales.

11. jnks10 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:34 AM

Would be so pumped if we went back to the Kelly Green uniforms.

12. cappy20 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:35 AM

I’m for it. Definitely liked the 60’s throwback uni’s. I do however like the current eagle’s head logo and you have to keep the wings on the helmets.

13. wydok says: Aug 6, 2014 10:35 AM

“The Eagles have Zero Superbowls in their existence”

Says the guy who’s team as just as many Super Bowl wins. But at least they loss twice as many as the Eagles have.

14. parasolmonster says: Aug 6, 2014 10:35 AM

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

15. booyaa63 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:36 AM

Kelly green uniforms were my favorite, not sure if its because they are the uniforms I grew up watching the Eagles play in or because they actually looked better.

16. succulentnipples says: Aug 6, 2014 10:36 AM

Do it.

17. jmblosser82 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:36 AM

thepftpoet, same can be said about the Vikings. Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

18. cardiovascularendurance says: Aug 6, 2014 10:37 AM

HELL YES!!!!

19. nickfootball13 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:39 AM

Kelly green all day. We even need to fix out current ones. Make them look nice like the Seahawks

20. rymexico says: Aug 6, 2014 10:40 AM

Kelley Green is the Eagles…..the dark green is a joke.

21. thepftpoet says: Aug 6, 2014 10:41 AM

The Minnesota Vikings actually have 1 NFL Championship in 1969.

22. zukny1 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:42 AM

I love the new Seahawks Jersey / uniforms. I would say if the Eagles make any move, take a page out of their book.

23. missingsock215 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:44 AM

Time to break out my old Starter jacket with the Kelly Green and Old Eagle Logo. #Throwback

24. atthemurph says: Aug 6, 2014 10:44 AM

thepftpoet says:
    Aug 6, 2014 10:27 AM
    Sounds like a bad idea to me.

The Eagles have Zero Superbowls in their existence….

—————————————————-

In their existence they have 3 championships.

In the storied history of the minnesota vikings they have won nothing, ever, unless you count the off-season, on paper championship they win every year.

But last I checked they don’t give out rings for those, only laughter.

25. uncledick says: Aug 6, 2014 10:47 AM

Why does everyone assume they go to a retro look, my thoughts would be that they’d go to their original colors with a whole new cut, like the Seahawks.

26. macjacmccoy says: Aug 6, 2014 10:47 AM

Nice to know the Eagles have been listening to the fans. I figured this might happen when the Lurie’s got divorced seeing that Christina Lurie was the reason the jersey’s changed in the first place. I’m sure they wouldn’t go back to the exact uniforms. They probably would be the old colors with a modern uniform style twist. I like it.

27. flexall454 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:47 AM

Chip Kelly green…

28. macjacmccoy says: Aug 6, 2014 10:48 AM

O were going to championships poet? Well Eagles got 3 of those. Try again.

29. fantasticmrhandsome says: Aug 6, 2014 10:49 AM

Good. Their current “midnight green” looks like an awful relic from the 1990’s.

30. sportstalkprofessional says: Aug 6, 2014 10:50 AM

I would like to see them, the Jets the G-Men & the Bucs & Falcons all go back to their old uni’s! That would be awesome!
    Still don’t understand the big deal about having multiple uniforms & helmets anyway. Heck, if anything it would bring more revenue to the league & we all know the commish is all about the cash!

31. titansbro says: Aug 6, 2014 10:50 AM

I love the old unis. I hate the patriots but those 50th anniversary unis from a few years back were simply fire.

32. b3nz0z says: Aug 6, 2014 10:51 AM

bring back the old eagle too. the current design is so late 90’s “Xtreme”

33. TheDPR says: Aug 6, 2014 10:54 AM

I prefer the darker green, personally, but I honestly don’t care all that much. Just win a Super Bowl for crying out loud and it won’t matter what color you’re in.

34. granadafan says: Aug 6, 2014 10:55 AM

The Oregonification of the Eagles continues. Pretty soon the bill of the Eagles mascot will become, flatter and a bit wider with the feathers becoming a little more white in color. The shape will become fatter…. a bit duck like.

35. denverdude7 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:58 AM

Pink with lace trim would be more their style don’t you think?

36. vegasdestroyer says: Aug 6, 2014 11:00 AM

When the KellyGreen Eagles lose ONE game with the new uniforms, they will be sent back to the lockers…for good.

37. starfan79 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:06 AM

I think its cool when teams change their uniforms.. each team should have to do it every two years. Think about all the Jersey sales.. “Oh I have the rookie manning jersey but now I have to get the manning superbowl years jersey”

38. bubbybrisket says: Aug 6, 2014 11:06 AM

These are the same fans who boo Breast Cancer ads, pelt Santa w/ snowballs and throw up on little girls.

Stay classy Philly…

39. eaglesnoles05 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:07 AM

The Uniform they wore in the packers opener when kolb went down is the good kelly green one, though. Just green with sliver wings, no outlines, silver numbers on green jersey. Silver pants. grey mask. If that was the one they brought back, I’d be cool with it. Otherwise, the midnight green is better.

40. kehav1 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:12 AM

YESSSSS!!!

41. bubbybrisket says: Aug 6, 2014 11:17 AM

thepftpoet says:
    Aug 6, 2014 10:41 AM
    The Minnesota Vikings actually have 1 NFL Championship in 1969.

—————————————-

“But why do you even ponder passing…”

42. flyinhighwithvick says: Aug 6, 2014 11:17 AM

Kelly Green with the black high tops shoes from the Fred Barnett days….the best!

43. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 6, 2014 11:17 AM

Just make sure Kelly doesn’t wear stripes.

The guy’s a few Thanksgiving dinners north of a healthy weight.

44. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:20 AM

Sounds like nothing more than a marketing ploy to up their jersey sales.

45. njpackerfan says: Aug 6, 2014 11:23 AM

So why the picture of Randell? Those aren’t the Bergey type jersey. Anyhow, I always liked the Kelly green uni’s with all the stripes. Bring on Norm Snead!

46. flyeaglesfly13 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:25 AM

Please don’t get rid of midnight green!!! Maybe merge the two together somehow but don’t totally abandon it. And definitely don’t get rid of the logo!! I have it tattooed on me.

47. oscargabrielcampos says: Aug 6, 2014 11:30 AM

YES, PLEASE!

48. dallassux says: Aug 6, 2014 11:35 AM

Did someone really just mention Santa again. Wow.

49. jmac1013 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:36 AM

bunkslurpscrabmustard says:
    Aug 6, 2014 10:34 AM
    =============================
    It probably has to do with remaining jerseys available. Similar to when a player wants to change his number.

50. badmoonrison says: Aug 6, 2014 11:38 AM

Whoever the poster was who said the eagles have the best unis in football must be blind. Get your eyes checked at least. Those wings on the helmets are lame.

51. corky2141 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:39 AM

Best part about the owners divorce; she’s got no say about the uniform anymore & the fans have been begging for this for awhile. One group even had a petition going with a decent number of signings

52. shatho1 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:39 AM

I think all the teams should get a new twist on their uniforms, I’m a die hard Dallas fan but the same old blue and white jerseys look boring.

53. jmblosser82 says: Aug 6, 2014 11:41 AM

thepftpoet, you said SBs not NFL championships. So yea, just like the Eagles the Vikings are without a SB victory. A SB equals a NFL championship but a NFL championship does not equal a SB. Robbed of a SB win in 2009? At most robbed of a NFC championship in 2009, still would’ve had to win against the Colts.

54. wydok says: Aug 6, 2014 11:44 AM

Flyer fans were booing Crosby, not the add. And this is hockey fans you are talking about. They don’t have two brain cells to rub together.

The vomit thing… whatever, that happened once by some 21 year old Jersey punk. Better than killing a fan on another team (looking at you, Bay Area).

And Santa? That was over 50 years ago!

55. wydok says: Aug 6, 2014 11:49 AM

thepftpoet says:
    Aug 6, 2014 10:41 AM
    “The Minnesota Vikings actually have 1 NFL Championship in 1969.

Plus we’ve been cheated out of multiple Lombardi’s – Including the recent one in 2009.”

And the Eagles have three NFL championships (’48, ’49, ’60) plus played the Patriots during Spygate. What’s your point?

When you are in your “drinking the kool aid” mode, it’s kind of funny. But this is just a dumb argument. Stick to being over-the-top about your team, it works better for your character.

56. trollhammer20 says: Aug 6, 2014 12:13 PM

At least the Vikings have Paul Allen, the great radio broadcaster who added such wonderful dismay and disgust to his calls of the Josh McCown miracle TD pass that ended the Viking season in 2003, and the Brett Favre “I can’t believe what I’m seeing right now” NFC Championship Game interception versus the Saints.

57. fordmandalay says: Aug 6, 2014 12:16 PM

Come on, PFTpoet – how could you claim the Vikings 1 NFL championship without doing the research and knowing Eagles fans would come back with their 3? It makes you look bad. I’m getting concerned about you.

58. stunzeed5 says: Aug 6, 2014 12:21 PM

Doesn’t matter what color they choose…..ZERO SUPERBOWLS. Pathetic.

59. abninf says: Aug 6, 2014 12:46 PM

harrisonhits2 says:

Sounds like nothing more than a marketing ploy to up their jersey sales.
    ====================================

So? Are you a socialist or something?

60. qbcoach9 says: Aug 6, 2014 12:50 PM

Every Eagles fan has been waiting to break out their Kelly Green Zubaz gear for years now! Yes!

61. edavidberg says: Aug 6, 2014 1:05 PM

The Kelly green jerseys are some of the best uniforms in the game. The current ones are some of the worst.

Detroit Lions have the same issues. Niners did too but thankfully they switched back.

Glad the Bears have never changed and hope they never will.

62. biteitlikeraffa says: Aug 6, 2014 1:08 PM

The only thing good about the Eagles EVER were those kelly green uniforms.

63. stixzidinia says: Aug 6, 2014 2:22 PM

Seriously, what’s Goodell going to do? If you’re an owner, send your team out with whatever unis you want…..throwback (with different helmets) or otherwise). Who’s the boss and who’s the employee in this scenario?

64. eagles512 says: Aug 6, 2014 3:26 PM

I hope this happens

65. hwentworth says: Aug 6, 2014 4:40 PM

It’s about time. The current Eagles jersey shouldn’t have survived Ricky Watters.

66. bkg63 says: Aug 6, 2014 10:23 PM

Bring back the block uniform numbers as well….

67. gfcf42489 says: Aug 7, 2014 1:02 AM

The last time they wore them was Week 1 against the Packers back in 2010. I thought they looked really good and was hoping they’d wear them more often.

I never really cared for their current uniforms. I just don’t like the dark green and black combination. I think they should definitely go back to the old uni’s

68. cemorg73 says: Aug 7, 2014 11:11 AM

Keep the current design, but change from midnight to kelly.