Julio Jones, Roddy White aiming for 1,500 yards apiece

Getty Images

Falcons receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White are aiming for history this season.

Jones and White believe they have what it takes to become the first teammates in NFL history to each top 1,500 receiving yards in the same season.

There ain’t no telling,” Jones told Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “Me and Rod — 1,500, 2,000 . . . You never know what we can do out there.”

Obviously, the idea that both Jones and White would top 2,000 yards — a total no receiver has ever reached in a single season in NFL history — is silly. But 1,500, while farfetched, is doable. Teammates have come close to doing it a couple of times, including in 1995 when Lions receiver Herman Moore had 1,686 yards and Brett Perriman added 1,488, and in 2000, when Rams receiver Torry Holt had 1,635 yards and Isaac Bruce added 1,471.

Last year White and Jones both missed time with injuries and they didn’t even combine for 1,500 yards, let alone get 1,500 each. But the year before White had 1,351 yards and Jones had 1,198, and that was in an offense with Tony Gonzalez catching 93 passes. Now that Gonzalez is retired, a healthy White and Jones could get even more passes thrown their way, and 1,500 yards each isn’t out of the question.

“I think it’s possible, absolutely,” Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan said. “When you look at what Roddy has done historically here, he’s always been consistent. I think everybody knows what he’s capable of doing. Julio has had three really good years when he has been healthy. Last year through five games, certainly he was on pace to do that. I’m lucky to have two of the best guys and the best tandem in the NFL. I think they’re both going to have big years.”

As a pair, they’re aiming for the biggest year in NFL history.

51 responses to “Julio Jones, Roddy White aiming for 1,500 yards apiece

1. Julio Jones, Roddy White aiming for 1,500 yards apiece
    =============================
    They can ‘aim’ all they want, they’re not reaching 1500 yds with that pitiful defense on the field all day.

2. Good receivers…offensive line ?? won’t happen. one other thing Beast mode and beast is sooo overused.

3. I hate the Falcons.

That being said, this may very well be the best duo in the NFL. One of the top 3 at least. Chicago is right there, as is Detroit.

I dont think there is any chance they each hit 1500 though. Injuries will get one of them at least. Thats a lot of receiving yards, when you include spreading the ball to TEs, RBs, and slot receivers.

Did Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt put those numbers up with Warner? I dont think they did, but I could be wrong. Matt is no Kurt Warner.

I would love to see this happen, I just dont think it will. Good luck to them both. Julio is certainly looking to me like a star that will be around a long time.

4. and in 2000, when Rams receiver Torry Holt had 1,635 yards and Isaac Bruce added 1,471.

—————–

The article answered it for me. They came awful close though. And they were a juggernaut that season.

5. Notice neither said their goal was to return to the playoffs or win a Superbowl.

Instead it was “look at what our individual goals are”.

It’s why Atlanta won’t win a SB.

Hawks always discuss team goals or how their skills or health will contribute to those goals.

6. Most NFL players are mediocre to good, there are few who are “great”. That said, STOP with all this bravado crap.
    Earn it on the field and shutup

7. Won’t happen, with Ryan always being helped up and with a below average defense they go 6-10 at best…….GOBUCS

8. Both will easily clear 1,000. Hopefully the run game will be much improved and they won’t have to put up those kinds of yards. However, if there was a current duo to do it, this would be the tandem.

9. Do all you people saying they wont do it due to a bad defense know that when a defense sucks the offense is on the field more and have the ability to put up more yards in garbage time trying to catch up…

10. so is Jones going to get lit up by the media for claiming he can hit 2000 yards like Dez Bryant did last year?

11. Sorry, but Roddy has never even hit 1,400 yards and is well past his prime. Shoot last year he only had 711 yards. WR’s don’t get better going into year 10 they get slower. I love Larry Fitzgerald, but he isn’t getting faster…he’s slowing down that’s why Michael Floyd is taking over. Father time always wins…and NFL players are often the last to figure it out.

12. Gotta play a full season first. Seems like both have been hurt a lot.

———————————————-

Roddy didn’t miss a single game his first 8 years in the league.

13. I can appreciate their lofty goals but Roddy is a year older and Julio has a previous injury that is notorious for never healing correctly and reemerging.

14. This is going to be one heck of a year for receivers.

I think that Jones and White are the top duo in the league. Jeffrey and Marshall are a close second.

I’m also excited to see the combination of Megatron with those 2 to 3 TE formations. Cody Latimer should also make a formidable combination with Demaryius Thomas. Not too many guys 6 foot 3 guys who can run sub 4.4 second 40s on a bum foot. It’s going to be an interesting year!

Lastly, I am really glad to see that Marshall got the help he needed and more importantly that he has been vocal and transparent about the help he received. In a world where communication is at an all time high, not many have the courage to speak out about mental health like Marshall did. Here’s to hoping that others will see that help can be found and seek out the resources to help them.

15. Oh, and as a lions fan, it hurts me to say this – but the bears have the best WR duo in the league. By far. More people should watch Alshon ball. More yards last year than either Roddy or Julios BEST year

Marshall>White
    Jeffery>Jones

16. Packers fan, but Marshall/Jeffery are the best. With Rodgers (WAY better than Ryan or Cutler) and the emphasis on not allowing DBs to play defense, I think Nelson/Cobb has as good a chance as any to lead in WR yards.

17. floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 12:29 PM

the Julio jones trade is why the falcons suck. The next contract they give him may be the next reason they suck

———————————-
    WHAT!?!?! So you’d rather have Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Brandon Weeden and Owen Marecic than Julio Jones?

18. Did any of them mention anything about winning games? I’m sure the falcons fans would be more satisfied with wins than stats.
    ___________________________________

Unfortunately, they are not. Most wouldn’t even show up for the games if it wasn’t for the $10 per game “gimme” tickets. Watch and see how fast their “fans” jump off the bandwagon when they start losing games.

19. narfmoo12 says:
    Aug 6, 2014 1:51 PM
    floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 12:29 PM

———————————-

—————————–
    I seriously doubt they would have spent a 1st round pick on a QB that year. Those are the players CLE picked. NEWS FLASH – CLE doesn’t draft well. If I had the time I’m sure I could find quality players on the board at each of those draft spots ATL gave up. They need depth. they had a couple injuries and fell off the map last year.

20. floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 2:29 PM

narfmoo12 says:
    Aug 6, 2014 1:51 PM
    floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 12:29 PM

———————————-

—————————–

——————————————

The rest of the first round went like this: Reiff, DeCastro, Hightower, Mercilus, Zeitler, Perry, Smith, Jenkins, Martin, Wilson …

Well Mercilus and Hightower don’t suck. The rest have been injured or haven’t done anything worth losing a top 5 receiver.

21. narfmoo12 says:
    Aug 6, 2014 2:50 PM
    floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 2:29 PM

narfmoo12 says:
    Aug 6, 2014 1:51 PM
    floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 12:29 PM

———————————-

—————————–

——————————————

———————————–

A top 5 WR based on what? Potential? he put up less than 1200 yards in his best season. Never caught even 80 passes in a season. Often hurt. Megatron, Fitz, AJ, Dez, Marshall, Jeffery, Andre Johnson, Thomas, V-Jax, Roddy, even josh Gordon and Antonio brown – all better than Julio Jones. Thats 10 off the top. Jimmy Graham is a TE that is a better WR than him even.

22. They can do it, as long as Matty Ice is getting good pass pro. I really liked Atlanta’s pick of Jake Matthews in the draft, I think he will develop into one of the top left tackles in the League…

23. Am I missing something? The posters here saying their defense is a reason why they can’t do it??

The fact that their DEFENSE is HORRIBLE will only help their chances. ATL will have to be in constant scoring mode, and with that pathetic running game, I think 1500 yds each is very plausible.

24. floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 3:38 PM

narfmoo12 says:
    Aug 6, 2014 2:50 PM
    floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 2:29 PM

narfmoo12 says:
    Aug 6, 2014 1:51 PM
    floodoobious says: Aug 6, 2014 12:29 PM

———————————-

—————————–

——————————————

———————————–

—————————————-

Going through your list …
    Megatron – better than Jones
    Fitz – hasn’t hit 1,000 yards since 2011, so no
    AJ Green – volume guy … 180 targets last year and only caught 98. I’d say him, Dez, Marshall and Jones are a toss up.

Brown and Jeffrey had one season, so I don’t know how you can rip Jones but praise them. Roddy White is not as good as Julio Jones.

Demaryus Thomas is just Peyton’s top target, not more talented. Just like how Tamme, Stokely, Julius Thomas, etc all had huge jumps with Peyton, and we will see the opposite happen to Decker.

But I bet you’ll tell me next offseason that Emmanuel Sanders is a top WR.

25. Mike Tice is The Falcons O-Line coach, strike one. Good luck keeping Matt Ryan upright. I will also have to say that Marshall/Jeffery are the better duo in the league.