Doug Marrone: Robert Woods needs to play with a “little chip on his shoulder”

Robert Woods AP

A 14-game starter in 2013, Bills wide receiver Robert Woods wasn’t with the first-team offense in the preseason opener vs. the Giants on Sunday night.

The silver lining for the second-year wideout — assuming there was one — was Woods serving notice he’s still a starter-caliber talent, as he scored Buffalo’s only touchdown and led the club in receiving yards in a 17-13 loss.

According to ESPN’s Mike Rodak, Bills coach Doug Marrone met with Woods after a walk-through Wednesday morning. And after practice Wednesday, Marrone indicated he wants Woods to take a more aggressive approach.

“We know Robert can play three positions for us,” Marrone told reporters, according to audio from WHAM 1180 in Rochester. “We’re just trying to figure out what’s the best combination that we have out there.

“When Robert first came to camp, he didn’t do that. Not to say he was complacent or not, but I told Robert today, when he plays with that little chip on his shoulder, he’s a darn good football player. I said, ‘We need to see you play more with a chip on your shoulder every single day,’ and I think you’ll see that same result that you’re able to see from the game and today.”

Marrone then shed a little more light on why and how he communicated with the receiver.

“I just think you tell the player the truth,” Marrone said. “You know, I really do. . . . I just wanted to make sure that we’re all on the same page.”

According to Rodak, Woods’ Wednesday practice may well have been his strongest in more than a week.

The Bills play at Carolina on Friday, and Woods’ play and usage figure to be closely monitored.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Doug Marrone: Robert Woods needs to play with a “little chip on his shoulder””
  1. sammyscrawfo says: Aug 7, 2014 1:10 AM

God I hope EJ can get these guys the ball. Sammy, Woods, Williams and Goodwin are a seriously talented group.

2. johnnyfreakinfootball says: Aug 7, 2014 1:24 AM

Robert Woods is the best receiver on that team.

3. tampabillsfan83 says: Aug 7, 2014 1:55 AM

coach is playing this just right. they got some good hands now the skis the limit with this crew! I just hope new owner doesn’t break this gang up because this bills staff could build something great if their given 5 or 6 years. no coaching staff for the bills has last longer than 3 years since marv that’s one of the biggest problems in buffalo for years! #Build

4. philyeagles5 says: Aug 7, 2014 2:32 AM

Don’t people get sick of this ‘chip on your shoulder’ thing? It’s the biggest clique these days.

5. hungbob says: Aug 7, 2014 2:35 AM

Woods was a great wide receiver at USC and I expect him to be so with the Bills. It is only his second season and he does not have a quarterback who can reliably and consistently get him the ball where he needs to have it.

Really been impressed with Marrone. He looks like he could be the solution on the sidelines.

6. exboomer says: Aug 7, 2014 7:49 AM

I don’t know if Woods is as supportive of Manuel as he was last year. Manuel needs to be more accurate on his deep balls so Woods has a chance to use his talents. I’m not sure I really blame him for being a little lazy when he knows he may not ever get a catchable ball.

7. djshnooks says: Aug 7, 2014 7:49 AM

Chris Hogan sucks…he was beat out in NY by Ramses Barden, who was just cut by the Bills. But he’s taking snaps from a 2nd rounder and the most NFL-ready WR in his draft class? Nate Hackett is an idiot.

8. george1859 says: Aug 7, 2014 9:19 AM

Marrone is a good coach, and deserved the benefit of any doubt. I hope he sticks.
    Problem is that Woods isn’t your problem.
    EJ is..