Reggie Bush has some advice for Johnny Manziel

reggiebush AP

Reggie Bush knows what Johnny Manziel is dealing with right now. And Bush has some advice.

Bush, who like Manziel entered the NFL having already become a huge star in college football, says that Manziel needs to devote all of his attention to football and stay away from anyone who can’t accept that football is his top priority.

It reminds me of what I went through, you know,” Bush told ESPN.com. “For him, he’s going to have to learn how to say no and that’s going to be extremely hard because it’s going to be the people closest to you who you’re going to have to learn to say no to. And then you’re going to have to keep your circle small so that you can be allowed to focus on football, because without football, nothing else is going to [matter].”

Bush says that when he dated Kim Kardashian, he learned that celebrity can detract from football.

“When I started dating my ex, that’s when all this stuff came,” Bush said. “But it’s part of the territory and, like I said, everything happens for a reason. A lot of it started in college, too, winning championships and all the different things we were able to accomplish at the collegiate level, that’s where it started obviously, why there was the attention at first, because of the accomplishments. Then all the other stuff came. The gossip magazines and all the other stuff, the ugly side of it. But you know what, I wouldn’t change anything because it helped mold and shape who I am today and I’m a better man for it.”

Bush is, from all accounts, a hard-working player who has managed to avoid being affected by off-field distractions. In that respect, the Browns’ front office would like to see Manziel follow in Bush’s footsteps. Minus the part about dating a Kardashian.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Reggie Bush has some advice for Johnny Manziel”
  1. onenineninee says: Aug 7, 2014 6:28 PM

Needs to have his Heisman returned.

2. nola5712 says: Aug 7, 2014 6:42 PM

onenineninee says:
    Aug 7, 2014 6:28 PM
    Needs to have his Heisman returned.

He did that years ago genius.

3. Marshawn Lunch says: Aug 7, 2014 6:44 PM

Everyone can call him and Pete Carroll “cheaters”, but I will keep arguing that college players need to be paid. End the NCAA’s slave trade strangle hold on these young players.

4. kd75 says: Aug 7, 2014 6:45 PM

I think he means “Winning Championship”

5. kd75 says: Aug 7, 2014 6:46 PM

And technically, USC went winless in 2004…

6. iberiasaint says: Aug 7, 2014 6:48 PM

Reggie is a good role model. He has learned how to be not only a professional football player, but a man for all seasons.

7. tjacks7 says: Aug 7, 2014 6:51 PM

Reggie Bush’s high school highlight reel is ridiculous.

8. hacksaw44 says: Aug 7, 2014 6:54 PM

I think all Bush is saying is something we’ve all said at one time or another … ” I wish I knew then what I know now “.
    From what I understand Reggie has been the consummate pro since he arrived in Detroit.
    I think his advice to Manziel is solid.

9. hakunamangata says: Aug 7, 2014 7:02 PM

Who’s next to give Johnny advice?

Is Tim Couch available? Or Kyle Boller? How bout Jeff George?

You already hit up Akili Smith so I can only imagine who’s next.

10. aggiefanatic says: Aug 7, 2014 7:02 PM

Best advice I have seen. Surprised the others didn’t say this.

11. packfanaj12 says: Aug 7, 2014 7:03 PM

Wise words for Manziel, even though I am not a Bush fan.

12. ctiggs says: Aug 7, 2014 7:06 PM

#nobodyhasitbetter 25 mins untill Kap takes the field

13. blacknole08 says: Aug 7, 2014 7:16 PM

Reggie Bush was already a good guy when he was at USC. He knew what was important, and that’s why he is still in the league.

Still can’t believe he had been in the league for EIGHT years. And still in a starting role at the RB position.

Listen to this man Johnny.

14. mrsryansfamoustoejam says: Aug 7, 2014 7:16 PM

He also advised him on the proper etiquette for turning in a Heisman trophy.

15. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 7, 2014 8:24 PM

Why would Manziel ever return his Heisman?

16. notdemfalcons says: Aug 7, 2014 8:50 PM

8to80texansblog says:
    Aug 7, 2014 8:24 PM

Why would Manziel ever return his Heisman?

—-

You never find out right away bro, give it a coupla years.

17. jacobk621 says: Aug 7, 2014 8:51 PM

listen to the man johnny

18. mazenblue says: Aug 7, 2014 8:59 PM

Cmon Lions. This has got to be the year you surprise me.

19. chad504boy says: Aug 7, 2014 9:31 PM

Reggie Bush is a great person/athlete to listen to.

20. JackedUpSports says: Aug 7, 2014 10:17 PM

here’s some good advice for Manziel: shut up and be humbler

21. packerbackernj says: Aug 7, 2014 10:19 PM

I’ll give him the advice someone should have gave Bush. Stay away from anyone named Kardashian. They will tank your career faster then sizzurp.

22. tomny0970 says: Aug 7, 2014 10:24 PM

It’s hard not to admire the way Bush has matured and handled what has had to be disappointment regarding his performance as an NFL player. The guy went from being perceived as a very flashy, celebrity-type of guy to a quiet hard worker who never gets in any trouble. He even started running between the tackles in Miami :-)

I was among the legion almost giddy with his failures to become a stud NFL back early in his career. But now I admire him a great deal. You can put him on my team any day.

23. pftcoachmen says: Aug 7, 2014 10:36 PM

Kim could still date Johnnny.

24. pizzasaurus says: Aug 7, 2014 10:47 PM

Reggie’s advice will come in especially handy when Manziel inevitably starts dating a Kardashian.

25. rolltide510 says: Aug 7, 2014 10:55 PM

Agree with Reggie. I think dating Kim Kardashian in her prime would have made me a better man too.

26. granadafan says: Aug 7, 2014 11:16 PM

Listening to Manziel talk you’d think he was the only college football player to ever get massive attention, so he quit going to classes. He thought he’s the only rookie to get this kind of attention before and after the draft. Waaah Waaah Waaah.

By all accounts all the advice that current and former players are giving him is going in one of his gigantic ears and out the other.

27. muencht says: Aug 7, 2014 11:20 PM

Quote “In that respect, the Browns’ front office would like to see Manziel follow in Bush’s footsteps. Minus the part about dating a Kardashian.” How right you are! KK is poison.

Mr Johnny Football aka Mr Johnny Party Guy has been given lots of good advice. I remember advice given to Joe Montana by legendary Coach Bill Walsh: “the less people see you, the more they want to see you” meaning the fans don’t want to see off-the-field shenanigans, they want to see you perform on the field.

Manziel won’t listen. He’s too busy having a good time w/ twits like Justin Bieber.

28. turtlefox1 says: Aug 7, 2014 11:25 PM

Is Johnny asking for all this free advice? Seems like everyone has something to say. Have you ever listened to any Manziel interviews? The kid is very intelligent. If he doesn’t play well, or even start, then he will make his adjustments. Has anything gone wrong yet? No. Let’s not assume it will.

29. bamboozle99 says: Aug 7, 2014 11:27 PM

Reggie Bush vs. Sheldon Brown is still my favorite.

30. drpoon69 says: Aug 7, 2014 11:47 PM

Johnny will be giving the advice to everyone else after he wins the starting job and beats Pittsburgh in week one on the road.

31. pongonfl says: Aug 8, 2014 12:44 AM

Redemption matters, and Bush has shown some of that for sure.

32. margegundersonbrainerd says: Aug 8, 2014 1:57 AM

Quoting MDS
    ~~~~~~~
    Minus the part about dating a Kardashian.
    ~~~~~~~

Don’t worry; he already skipped Kardashian and dropped straight to Beiber. That’s pretty much textbook bypassing the double dog dare and triple dare, skipping directly to the triple dog dare.

33. slick50ks says: Aug 8, 2014 6:49 AM

It’s always someone else’s fault huh Reggie?

What a waste on not even a full time player.

34. mylionsroaring says: Aug 8, 2014 11:45 AM

____________________________________
    They are getting paid!!! As a father of two kids in college that don’t play football on a scholarship, I can tell you they get paid a lot!!!! I know it depends on the school you attend, but for my two kids and with the hope scholarship we still pay 35K a year, and that is for four years providing they do well.

Why would I do that for my kids, because I know that will help them to have success later in life.

Football players get paid to go to school by going for free, and even if they don’t go to the NFL they secure their future by getting a free education, that most other families save their whole lives to pay for, or go in debt for.