Sanchez much happier about preseason role this year

Mark Sanchez AP

Again, Mark Sanchez is going to play later in a preseason game than he’s used to.

But his attitude about backing up for the Eagles is much better than it was prior to his garbage-time shoulder injury that ultimately ended his Jets career.

When the Eagles take on the Bears, Sanchez will be competing with Matt Barkley for the backup job rather than Geno Smith for a starting job that used to be his,

I’m just excited about the chance to play again,” Sanchez said, via Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News. “I feel good. If I’m healthy, like I am, there’s really nothing to worry about. I approach it like any other season. Sure, anything can happen, but I’m expecting some good stuff.”

While last year’s “competition” with Smith seemed tilted at times, Sanchez says he likes the atmosphere coach Chip Kelly has created.

“You’re always competing — against yourself, against the defense, against the other quarterbacks. That’s just the atmosphere that’s been cultivated here, and we like that,” Sanchez said. “It keeps it fun, it keeps it fresh. It keeps it exciting.”

Seeing how Sanchez rebounds will be one of the interesting storylines of the game, after the starters are tucked safety away. He was always serviceable-at-worst, and won four playoff  games on the road. While Foles is safely ahead of him on the depth chart, Sanchez ought to be able to reclaim some reputation if he has to play this year.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Sanchez much happier about preseason role this year”
  1. mikefloriodanceslikeagirl says: Aug 7, 2014 6:31 AM

translation…i am happy sitting on the bench earning a fat paycheck, away from the threat of getting any owies or hurties

2. andrewluck12 says: Aug 7, 2014 6:33 AM

The butt fumble killed any chance he had of a decent career. I mean this is the same Mark Sanchez who went into Peyton and Brady’s house in the playoffs and sent them packing.

3. seadawgs72 says: Aug 7, 2014 7:10 AM

Eagles fans gotta be hoping Foles stays healthy. I guess that’s true of most NFLteams.

4. dawkphan says: Aug 7, 2014 7:18 AM

Hopefully he spends a lot of time on the bench this season and only comes in for Garbage time to give Nick a rest . Looking forward to this season GO EAGLES !!

5. greymares says: Aug 7, 2014 7:30 AM

There’s at least a 1/2 dozen teams where Sanchez would probably be a starter. I’m guessing he’s 1 and done with the Eagles. Also I think Barkley will be available as Kinne is making this team at #3 QB.

6. derekyankee says: Aug 7, 2014 7:36 AM

Sanchez much happier about preseason role this year

The Jets are much happier, too.

7. m1mplax39 says: Aug 7, 2014 7:40 AM

Very Sanchez of you Mark, way to be happy about getting demoted.

8. ctiggs says: Aug 7, 2014 7:41 AM

Three things in life that are promised. Taxes, death, and terrible USC QBs.

9. officialgame says: Aug 7, 2014 8:04 AM

Sanchez has a lot of talent and is in a good situation this year with not having the pressure of NY. It will be a one year deal for him in Philly and it’s a good place for him to jump start his career. Has there ever been a successful QB playing for a head coach whose least name is Ryan?

10. iman62 says: Aug 7, 2014 10:17 AM

I was hoping for the headband picture.

11. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 7, 2014 10:32 AM

Still getting an NFL paycheck, of course he’s happy.

12. gayforbrady says: Aug 7, 2014 10:37 AM

Biggest mistake jets made was getting rid of Sanchez.

He beat the pats in the playoffs, something geno “I think I’ll throw it to the other team” smith will never do.

Geno Smith is the next Josh Freeman