Mike Tannenbaum joins Dolphins as consultant

New York Jets Training Camp Getty Images

Mike Tannenbaum has worked as an agent since the Jets brought his tenure as general manager to an end after the 2012 season, a move that has included such highlights as negotiating Steve Kerr’s deal to become the head coach of the Golden State Warriors.

Tannenbaum will continue working as an agent, but he’s not done working on the other side of the table. The Dolphins announced Friday that Tannenbaum is joining the team as a consultant “on a variety of projects involving innovation, analytics and sports science.” What exactly that entails remains to be seen, but Tannenbaum’s move is one of several moves Miami made in what General Manager Dennis Hickey called an effort to boost the team’s analytics and sports science departments.

Hickey’s been on the job through the offseason and the moves are another step toward putting his face on the organization after taking over in the wake of Jeff Ireland’s departure.

The Dolphins also promoted Ryan Herman to director of football association and Chris Buford and Max Gruder to scouts. They also hired Dennis Lock as head analyst, Dave Regan as sports science analyst, Brad Forsyth and Marcus Hendrickson as college scouts, J.P. McGowan as scouting assistant and Jonathan Gress as assistant athletic trainer/physical therapist.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Mike Tannenbaum joins Dolphins as consultant”
  1. JackedUpSports says: Aug 8, 2014 3:55 PM

haha enjoy!

-jets fan

2. slick50ks says: Aug 8, 2014 3:55 PM

How do you make your already crappy organization worse?

This move.

3. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 8, 2014 4:02 PM

Dolphins are a trash organization. Why would anyone willingly join them…

4. profantasyplyr says: Aug 8, 2014 4:03 PM

oh nooooo…

5. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 8, 2014 4:08 PM

That all sounds good, better late than never.

6. nyj1979 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:22 PM

I’m sure Miami could figure out how to put themselves in cap hell without paying a consultant’s fee.

7. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:23 PM

As long as he has nothing to do with their contracts…..

8. drudema says: Aug 8, 2014 4:24 PM

I’m a dolphin fan. I realized a long time ago that we are an incompetent organization. We have been through numerous people at all key parts of the organization (quarterback, coaches, coordinators, owners and GM’s). We have suffered through one win seasons and a staggering number of draft busts. I don’t expect much from my organization anymore. In fact I’m tired of even thinking about getting my hopes up. Not only do they always get dashed, but quite often over the years I’ve grown such a dislike for individuals in the organization that I almost root against them. I take solace that I do not spend a penny on this team (it helps that I now live in California). You can call me a bad or lousy fan, but I think I’m just worn down by a terrible franchise. Then this January they fired Ireland. I felt hope was in the air. For the 1st time in years, it felt like something good could happen. Then I saw the above headline. I know he is not going to be the GM, but how are the Dolphins suppose to improve by hiring the guy who signed Sanchez to an extension because he might get his feelings hurt after he traded for Tebow? #myteamsucks

9. kd75 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:24 PM

No conflicts of interest here.

10. rajbais says: Aug 8, 2014 4:25 PM

Why does Ross like mediocre GMs turned consultants???

First Carl Peterson. Now this guy??

11. deacon85 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:26 PM

“…..one of several moves Miami made in what General Manager Dennis Hickey called an effort to boost the team’s analytics and sports science departments.”
    In related moves, the Dolphins announced that they are hiring Harry Potter to improve the team’s Football Wizardry department and Stephen Hawking to review the team’s astrophysics playbook.

12. miriam45 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:28 PM

Please……let the game begins

13. mzim2756 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:29 PM

The man who gave the crazy contract to Sanchez because he was worried his feelings were hurt because the Jets spoke to Peyton, consult away,
    Another NYJ fan

14. rodge1 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:42 PM

@slick50ks

Lol, true. And I’m a dolphin fan

15. ariani1985 says: Aug 8, 2014 4:55 PM

How does this loser still get work?

16. ampats says: Aug 8, 2014 5:13 PM

The team that traded up and drafted Dion Jordan last year hires the person who drafted Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez and Kyle Wilson in the 1st round as the Jets GM.

Foxboro likes the hire !!!

17. jetfan74 says: Aug 8, 2014 5:16 PM

deacon85, thanks for laugh, as that was the cherry on top of this sundae. Good luck rebuilding Miami!!! It’s inevitable.

18. amaf21 says: Aug 8, 2014 5:41 PM

Miami – where retreads go to die.

19. mtsquad says: Aug 8, 2014 5:51 PM

Involve him with PED education.

I… just can’t… anymore. What a joke this organization has been allowed to turn into.

20. rogerpredactor says: Aug 8, 2014 6:10 PM

“As an organization, we are committed to innovation and technology and we feel the creation of our analytics department and the development of our sports sciences program will help our personnel, coaching staff and players reach their full potential,” Hickey said in a statement from the team.”

This is what Chip Kelly has done to the NFL!

21. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Aug 8, 2014 6:11 PM

Sounds about right…

Good luck with that..

Oh yeah, Ha Ha

22. bleedrangerblue says: Aug 8, 2014 6:24 PM

Probably give Tannenhill 100 million

23. iamkillerfin says: Aug 8, 2014 6:27 PM

GREAT!!! Saw how bad he stunk up the junk jets just another crappy move that Ross HAS NO CLUE ABOUT!!! PLEASE JUST SELL THIS TEAM TO AN OWNER THAT HAS A CLUE!!!

24. ncphinsfan says: Aug 8, 2014 6:52 PM

Jeez, I think I have a little bit of vomit in my mouth…

25. mutantman87 says: Aug 8, 2014 6:55 PM

Trust the guy who gave Mark Sanchez a contract extension to be an analytics consultant?

Tannenbaum is still serving as an agent- ethics anybody? Potential clients should steer clear.

26. hjb99992013 says: Aug 8, 2014 7:00 PM

As a Bills fan, this is indeed wonderful news

27. billsfan1 says: Aug 9, 2014 12:45 AM

How is this worse that the Pats picking Lombardi? I mean lets forget about the franchise, in terms of actual hire, this is not any worse.. and I hate Miami, but you know, anything NE does is perfect, and everybody else is crap.

28. promickey says: Aug 9, 2014 4:28 AM

Well perhaps it’s expected that Tannenbaum with the use of modern technology will assist Tannehill in connecting with Mike Wallace the $15M a year wide receiver.

Paying a receiver that much money without the QB being able to connect should be addressed with sports science and a great deal of analytics.

29. walkinginthewasteland says: Aug 9, 2014 9:32 AM

Tannenbum does not deserve any job in the NFL except waterboy. He is incompetent. But in this business there is an excess of recycling bums. On and off the field.