Dri Archer: I showed I can play in the NFL

Pittsburgh Steelers v New York Giants Getty Images

Every year, players come to the scouting combine and turn in blazing 40 times before fading into obscurity when the pads come on and their speed alone isn’t enough to make them productive NFL players.

Steelers running back Dri Archer put up just such a time this year, the fastest at the combine in fact, and faced some of the same questions about his overall abilities when Pittsburgh drafted him in the third round. His first preseason action boosted hope that he’ll be more than just another fast guy.

Archer turned a screen pass from Ben Roethlisberger into a 46-yard gain against the Giants, giving the team a play that could have only been better if it had resulted in a touchdown. It was still an eye-opener, though, and the night’s work, which included another catch and two carries, boosted Archer’s confidence.

“I showed that I can play in the NFL,” Archer said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Archer’s speed and ability out of the backfield could come in handy alongside Le’Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount in the Steelers backfield this season. It’s not the kind of piece that the Steelers have had on offense in the recent past and it’s one that could make for a more productive offense come the regular season if the Steelers figure out how to make everyone fit into their scheme.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Dri Archer: I showed I can play in the NFL”
  1. eaglesnoles05 says: Aug 11, 2014 11:42 AM

…And nick foles showed that he will throw 32 ints and 0tds this year… And sanchez showed he is a good qb.

It’s preseason, fella. And wk1, at that.

2. freesoupwithhat says: Aug 11, 2014 11:43 AM

He’s like Chris Rainey; except he’s good and (hopefully) doesn’t act like a nine year old.

3. bubbybrisket says: Aug 11, 2014 11:46 AM

Okay…I can play the trumpet

4. clashpoint says: Aug 11, 2014 11:47 AM

The Steelers are going to line him up all over the place too, anywhere he might be able to get the ball in space. Backfield, slot, out wide, in motion, anywhere. He’s not really small, just short, but very strong. I think he had 20 reps on the bench at the combine? Something like that. I’m hoping he’ll be a good kick returner too, but he didn’t get any real chances in the last game. I’m very happy he’s a Steeler.

Go Steelers!

5. stuckthefeelers says: Aug 11, 2014 11:51 AM

Wow, 1 decent catch and run against a team with 0 LBs. Burfict mosely and dansby will end this guy. Brandon weeden looked good too. Doesn’t mean he can play.

6. kd75 says: Aug 11, 2014 11:51 AM

LeGarrette Blount is still around?

7. 6ball says: Aug 11, 2014 11:52 AM

Hello Canton, I need an emergency induction.

8. 700levelvet says: Aug 11, 2014 11:52 AM

He then asked… “Can I hang out with the Pouncey’s now”?

9. Steeley McBeam says: Aug 11, 2014 11:53 AM

Bell, Blount and Archer. What a great combo!

10. corvusmaximus says: Aug 11, 2014 11:56 AM

Dare I say it? That Archer kid looks pretty good, stillers.

11. bhunter76 says: Aug 11, 2014 11:57 AM

Should this experiment work out, the Steelers backfield is going to be dangerous. The NFL has gone so pass happy this run emphasis could pay high dividends.

12. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 11, 2014 11:59 AM

Let’s call it what it is: Bell, Blount and Archer is real a nice RB depth chart.

13. joetoronto says: Aug 11, 2014 12:02 PM

“I showed that I can play in the NFL,” Archer said

That’s great, too bad it’s not you who makes the decisions.

14. steelcurtainn says: Aug 11, 2014 12:08 PM

Cant wait to see this Archie play when the real games start. I see tds written all over kid.

15. piscataquis007 says: Aug 11, 2014 12:09 PM

I liked what I saw from Archer this week. But let’s keep some perspective.
    Good job kid, but let’s at least get to the Regular Season before we start talking about where we can and can’t play.

16. tebowbrokesteelers says: Aug 11, 2014 12:13 PM

Too funny! I didn’t know he was a comedian too!Almost as funny as Tebow beating the steelers and since then it is 0 winning seasons and 0 playoff appearances!

17. ravenswhat says: Aug 11, 2014 12:17 PM

And here come the Steelers crowing about how this guy will line up all over the place blah bah bah. He won’t have more than 25 receptions all year.

18. billytodd2013blbaad says: Aug 11, 2014 12:19 PM

hey tebowbrokesteelers… your right, the Steelers haven’t made the playoffs since losing to Tebow but back to back 8-8 seasons may be bad by the steelers standards but there’s alot of teams that would love to have those 8-8 seasons, ohh and how is your boy tebow doing now? Is he even in the nfl? ohh that’s right nfl teams don’t want to touch him because he’s nothing more than a over hyped college player who is a 1 trick pony!

19. jtbsteeler says: Aug 11, 2014 12:23 PM

At least 8 TD’s scored by Dri this season.

20. steelcurtainn says: Aug 11, 2014 12:31 PM

You gotta love how the steelers stay in other fans heads 24/7 especially ratbird/bungle fans as the steelers stake to reclaim the division. Ah, the smell of fear as we head into the regular season.

21. darthvoter says: Aug 11, 2014 12:34 PM

Perspective folks. 1st pre-season game….but you have to like his potential. If you check out his college reels, he’s downright scary. But the NFL ain’t college. If he can stay within himself, listen learn, then he might be a special player. Definitely good hands out of the backfield and obviously has the speed.

22. rajbais says: Aug 11, 2014 12:35 PM

Yep you did. As a WR/RB DHB maybe gone even though his special teams ability, in my opinion, deserves him a roster spot.

23. patfic5 says: Aug 11, 2014 12:37 PM

Ok, kid. You sound like Michael Sam.

24. easyeintennessee says: Aug 11, 2014 12:37 PM

The quote was cut short. “I showed I can play in the NFL….Preseason.” Pittsburgh Steelers…..2014 Preseason Champions!

25. scoobies05 says: Aug 11, 2014 12:47 PM

right. because it’s not like Steelers fans aren’t constantly posting about their “six rings” on ever ravens article. and to the Steelers fan knocking Tebow for being out of the league. that’s not really helping your argument since that’s the guy that beat you

26. brownsmakemecrazy says: Aug 11, 2014 12:47 PM

Another Golden Flash that will be a beast for the Steelers. He can fly.

27. r8rsfan says: Aug 11, 2014 12:50 PM

Ego?
    If he scores in the regular season will he demand a new contract?

28. scoobies05 says: Aug 11, 2014 5:34 PM

I turned my tv on. I proved I can watch the nfl

29. kev86 says: Aug 11, 2014 6:35 PM

Smurf

30. clashpoint says: Aug 11, 2014 8:23 PM

You clowns are acting like he said he was going to be all pro. “I can play in the NFL” is a pretty simple statement, and yes, he can. As a matter of fact, he did just last weekend. I do like the overreaction from the fans whose teams will have to play against him. Remember kids: Dogs, bees and Steelers can smell fear.

GO STEELERS!

31. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 11, 2014 8:30 PM

Ok ok Scoobies you get the whinny Raven fan of the day award. Pickup your prize at the Baltimore county jail when you go for autographs.

32. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 11, 2014 8:35 PM

This guy will line up all over the place and have 25 receptions by wk 3.

33. steelcurtainn says: Aug 11, 2014 8:57 PM

Thirteen is the amount of touchdowns dri archer will have by the end of the season. A quarter of them will be on the ravens alone.

34. 1mommicked1 says: Aug 11, 2014 9:13 PM

when archer catches a punt to return, he did a lot of dancing. stop dancing and haul ass down the field. special teams needs you

35. tinytoolalldrool says: Aug 12, 2014 9:40 AM

Lets send him to the Hall Of Fame today. No playoffs again. A quarter of 13 is 4.25 dipstick.

36. sbchampsagain says: Aug 12, 2014 10:42 AM

Play? Yes.
    Well? Not so much.
    But he should do for the Steelers who are desperate to find anyone to tote the rock.

37. buzzbeaubank says: Aug 12, 2014 2:45 PM

Winston Wolfe said it best, Dri.