Arian Foster continue to be good teammate, bad interview

Foster AP

Since a worthless press availability early in training camp, Texans running back Arian Foster has avoided the local media.  He submitted to the media again on Thursday, and the end result was nearly as worthless.

But at least he offered up something other than hoping to be the best teammate he can be.

Asked how he feels about getting back on the practice field:  “Good.”

How does he feel about his role in the offense?  “I feel good about it.”

On whether he considered retirement last year:  “I’m just out here trying to be the best teammate I can be, man.”

On whether he meant what he said when he told ESPN that he considered retirement:  “Every day you just work hard. You’ve got to be the best teammate you can be out here.”

Asked how much it helps the Texans to practice against another team:  “A lot. It helps a lot.”

How does practicing against another team help the Texans?  “It just helps very much with everything.”

When does he hope to play in a game?  “As soon as possible.”

What does he expect from himself this year? “Great football and being a good teammate.”

What does he think of the effort to raise money for cancer research on behalf of teammate David Quessenberry?  “It’s awesome. Awesome.”

How did feel to go through a practice?  “I felt good. I felt really good.”

What did he take away from the joint practices with the Falcons?  “A lot of hard work. Good work out here.”

So why has he decided not to cooperate with the local media?  “I’m just trying to be the best teammate I can be and that’s part of it.”

So did he ever give serious thought to retiring?   “I’m working hard out here every day, and I’m going to continue to do that.”

Does he believe that creating a distraction (presumably via goofball answers to media questions) is the same as being a good teammate?  “I get paid to play football and that’s what I’m going to continue to do and work hard at it.”

Does he know he’s required to talk to the media?  “That’s why I’m here today.”

Would he like to play Saturday?  “I’m just going to keep working hard and whatever happens after that is going to transpire.”

How far is he from being 100 percent?  “Yeah, just got to keep working hard out here and I’m going to continue to do that.”

It’s unclear why Foster suddenly has a problem with the Houston media.  At the league meetings in Orlando, we caught wind for the first time of tensions between Foster and the media covering the team on a regular basis.

After today’s session, Foster took to Twitter to say this:  “When you don’t give them what they want or expect, they chastise you. Don’t put me in your little athlete box.

He also characterized a tweet contending that he was the only player to not sign autographs for fans as “Lies.”

Those tweets followed Foster’s missive from last month, after his “being a good teammate” routine:  “Media is full of propaganda and you’re subjected to their agenda. Don’t let them think for you. .”

Of course, Foster doesn’t dislike all media, although we’re probably now on his “good teammate” list for pointing out how he’s behaving.  He recently gave an interview to ESPN, and he previously has been cooperative with PFT and other national outlets.

A very real problem nevertheless exists between Foster and the team’s press corps.  It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out this season, including whether the Houston media eventually will file a formal complaint with the league regarding his failure to provide good-faith responses to questions he’s required to answer.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
77 Responses to “Arian Foster continue to be good teammate, bad interview”
  1. 12444uggg says: Aug 14, 2014 5:19 PM

I love it. Dude gets it.

2. tigershark0052 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:20 PM

Love it. Screw the media.

3. rickastleydancemoves says: Aug 14, 2014 5:21 PM

I actually find it quiet amusing, him frustrating y’all in the media because y’all are a little too arrogant yourselves.

4. xLith says: Aug 14, 2014 5:22 PM

He’s probably pissed off about the Houston-area Fox dude that showed up at his house when the news broke about his mistress.

5. mediasloppy says: Aug 14, 2014 5:22 PM

I wish all football players answered the media in that manner, when said media is trying to engage them in a gotcha type setting.

6. weepingjebus says: Aug 14, 2014 5:24 PM

The media made it really hard for him to do his job, he’s just returning the favor.

7. fmc651 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:25 PM

Not sure how picking a fight with the media helps him but ok you do not like the press.

8. somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 14, 2014 5:26 PM

Most pro athletes are total dicks…is this really surprising to you Flowerio?

9. tjacks7 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:27 PM

Beautiful. Some lame houston reporter tried to put him on blast for not signing autographs after practice like the rest of the team (even though he did). I can see why he’s not a fan of the media. In fact, I wonder why more players don’t do this to the media.

10. gotdressedinabooth says: Aug 14, 2014 5:27 PM

File a complaint based on a lack of good-faith answers? Is that a real thing?

11. slugbaitspace says: Aug 14, 2014 5:29 PM

Darn it. Not a single mention about that action.

12. johnnyjagfan says: Aug 14, 2014 5:29 PM

If you don’t think this isn’t 100% retaliation for them interviewing his mistress about his encouraging her to have an abortion, please find another site to get your league news from.

13. blmonroe12 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:30 PM

I wonder how much of it has to do with the coverage of his illigit baby in the off season. I can’t see another reason.

14. youpeopleareallthesame says: Aug 14, 2014 5:30 PM

Someone’s been watching Marshawn Lynch’s interviews.

15. FlashPatterson says: Aug 14, 2014 5:32 PM

The only reason the media even interviews players is because they want them to screw up.
    ———————-
    Who’s the best RB in the game? If you say yourself you’re arrogant, if you don’t say yourself you’re not confident. All the other questions are just pointless, do you want to win games? Yes. How? by trying as hard as possible day in and day out.
    Blah blah first guy in the lockerrom and last guy out blah blah.

I’m glad some players like Foster and Lynch are taking a stand against the media.

16. johnnyqbp says: Aug 14, 2014 5:32 PM

Add me to the list who thinks this is hilarious. And I have a degree in Journalism. The media always sticks together when an athlete does something like this. They always get butt hurt together too! It’s amusing to listen to the reporters ask the same question 10 different ways as well.

17. johnqlunchbox says: Aug 14, 2014 5:34 PM

If every single NFL player would answer all media questions in this fashion, we would be done with the endless prying, baiting, and hectoring that is the hallmark of the sports media “journalist” in no time flat.

18. margegundersonbrainerd says: Aug 14, 2014 5:35 PM

Asked how he feels about getting back on the practice field: “Lousy.”

How does he feel about his role in the offense? “I feel terrible about it.”

On whether he considered retirement last year: “I’m just out here trying to be the worst teammate I can be, man.”

On whether he meant what he said when he told ESPN that he considered retirement: “Every day you just slack off. You’ve got to be the worst teammate you can be out here.”

Asked how much it helps the Texans to practice against another team: “None. It doesn’t help diddly squat.”

How does practicing against another team help the Texans? “It doesn’t help with anything.”

When does he hope to play in a game? “I hope to stall ’til the two-minute warning in Week 17.”

What does he expect from himself this year? “Miserable football and being a worthless teammate.”

What does he think of the effort to raise money for cancer research on behalf of teammate David Quessenberry? “It’s lousy. What a waste of beer money.”

How did feel to go through a practice? “I felt crummy. I felt really pathetic.”

What did he take away from the joint practices with the Falcons? “A lot of poor work habits. Lame work out here.”

So why has he decided not to cooperate with the local media? “I’m just trying to blow up my locker room with obnoxious comments taken out of context, and you’re the best way to do that..”

So did he ever give serious thought to retiring? “I’m slacking off out here every day just collecting my paycheck, and I’m going to continue to do that.”

Does he believe that creating a distraction (presumably via goofball answers to media questions) is the same as being a good teammate? “I get paid to play football and that’s what I’m going to continue to avoid and slack off at it.”

Does he know he’s required to talk to the media? “No, you just totally blew my mind.”

Would he like to play Saturday? “No, that’d require effort and it isn’t yet the two-minute warning of game 16.”

How far is he from being 100 percent? “About 100 percent away from it.”
    ~~~~~
    If everything he said was the wrong answer and a bad interview, this must be perfect. Now you can let him do his job, playing football, while the media does its job – starting with fixing the typo in the headline above this one.

19. mad55555 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:35 PM

Sports media is a TMZ style, throw whatever you say back in your face, criticize ANYTHING you say, the media is quick to mock players for saying anything. The media always say they don’t want to be part of a story but they want everyone to know they wrote the story. They want the story to be about them, not the subject. Bunch of trolls is all you people are. I am happy when sports figures fight back against this embarrassing rat festering sewer pot that is the sports media in general.

20. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Aug 14, 2014 5:37 PM

It’s funny how the media thinks they are owed an answer for any question that they may have. I would do the exact same thing Foster is if I was forced to appear in front of the media I would give the simplest one word answers and definitely wouldn’t care whether or not they liked it.

21. shayeezy says: Aug 14, 2014 5:37 PM

you keep describing his interviews as “worthless” – he has zero obligation to provide meaningful, worthwhile answers to give you media clowns headlines and page hits, especially after his privacy was violated earlier this year.

i can guarantee that no complaint will be filed to the league, but i’m sure you will continue to pathetically complain about it while the rest of us sit back and enjoy the show.

22. einherjer00 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:38 PM

I guess all the hyenas, led by the NBC Football Media Outlet, will team up to bully Foster now, like they did Lynch. Just let the guy work hard out there!

I can just imagine when the season starts. They’ll say the offense isn’t gelling because no one can stop thinking about Foster’s short media answers, what with spending a full 30 seconds a week answering questions about it.

23. margegundersonbrainerd says: Aug 14, 2014 5:38 PM

johnnyqbp, you find it hilarious because you have a degree in journalism, not in spite of it. You probably earned your stripes back when the media had some ethics and accountability, rather than controlling and creating news.

24. marty2020 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:40 PM

No worthwhile information has ever come from an interview with an athlete. Ever.

25. gbart22 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:40 PM

Well the media cans be quite vindictive when they objectively decide they no longer like you. We’ve seen it a million times baseball writers usually being the most personal with the discord. He answered their questions.

26. patriotsarespygaters says: Aug 14, 2014 5:41 PM

let him have his fun now but this guy better be a good citizen like manning and brady because when he screws up which imo is inevitable he will be crucified by media

27. granadafan says: Aug 14, 2014 5:42 PM

The media has long memories and are quite petty. Treat them badly, and they’ll roast you over the coals when things are perceived to go badly. When you’re doing well or something extraordianary, they’ll downplay it. If you’re hall of fame worthy. Good luck with that.

28. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 14, 2014 5:44 PM

Maybe the local media should ask him what the problem is if there is one and to be specific about it so that the air can be cleared.

29. censorshipstinks says: Aug 14, 2014 5:48 PM

For an interview that was “Worthless” you sure did write ALOT.

30. rcruz99 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:48 PM

I believe his contractual obligation is tied to the word “availability”. I do not believe that he can be compelled to offer witty repartee or any other responses to appease the media, Even in the face of official interrogation one cannot be compelled to talk. Perhaps once notion that he is a bad interview becomes established, no one should attend those “availability’s”. My instincts tell me that at that point, odds are he would have more to say and seek the media out. If not, no one’s time is wasted.

31. texansdan says: Aug 14, 2014 5:52 PM

Gotta be because of the local media craze over his alleged mistress and her baby.

32. onehstntxn says: Aug 14, 2014 5:53 PM

Not too smart to pick a fight with someone that buys ink by the barrel and paper by the rail car load!

33. crawfish2011 says: Aug 14, 2014 5:58 PM

34. p31squared says: Aug 14, 2014 5:58 PM

I love how all the Texans fans on here think this is great. The media have a job to do, like Foster. They’re doing their job. Athletes like him, who screw up and get called on it, in turn blame the media and then go stoic. It’s always the media’s fault. Please, take some responsibility and man up.

35. yesrowntreeyesgrosvener says: Aug 14, 2014 6:03 PM

Any athlete who fights back against the media’s childish entitlement complex is A-OK with me.

36. shayeezy says: Aug 14, 2014 6:04 PM

with all the problems the texans have – namely, not having a god damn quarterback – people actually think foster being short with the media will be a distraction for the team? get a clue.

37. mikeypanic says: Aug 14, 2014 6:04 PM

Arian Foster is a moron and a liar

I was at the university of Tennessee spring game a couple of years ago and watched Eric Berry sign everything from hats to balls for over an hour. A total class act

Arian signed nothing, not even for little kids. The guy is a piece of dung

38. htowntexan says: Aug 14, 2014 6:09 PM

im not impressed by this childish behavior. just answer the questions. the fans like reading about what the players say, and this takes that away from us. and it is a distraction for the team (not sure that matters this year though).

as a season ticket holder, there is not much to look forward to this season (other than Rick Smith being gone at the end of the year). i don’t want one of our stars (or former stars) to take what little there is interesting about this team away from us.

39. TheDPR says: Aug 14, 2014 6:09 PM

I’m with Foster, too.

Journalism has gone from telling people what is happening to mining quotes from people. What people SAY is NOT news. What people DO is news.

40. bhlobos says: Aug 14, 2014 6:11 PM

somethingsmellsrotten says: Aug 14, 2014 5:26 PM

Most pro athletes are total dicks…is this really surprising to you Flowerio?
    —————————————————-

Diddum not get his wittle autograph?

How about this generalization… most commenters that have the word “smells” in their name are morons?

See, I can do it, too.

Yes, there are dicks in the world, but I’ve met some pro’s who were the most amazing guys/gals. Just because one hurt your feelings, doesn’t mean they’re all like that.

41. ragnarthemagnificent says: Aug 14, 2014 6:11 PM

Now I like him more

42. thethunderofgunns says: Aug 14, 2014 6:11 PM

So he didn’t blab and give the liberal MSM ammo so the PC police could attack.

We get it PCFT. :)

43. regiorr says: Aug 14, 2014 6:12 PM

There is freedom of speech in the US. I can understand the frustrated journalists that cannot get a word from players that don’t want t talk to them. But let the dude talk to whoever he wants. “The journalists will complaint to the league”… reminds me of a crying kid.

44. schmitty2 says: Aug 14, 2014 6:18 PM

As long as he is respectful towards the fans because they are the reason he is a millionaire then I could care less how he is towards the media.

45. captainmanhattan says: Aug 14, 2014 6:19 PM

Let me translate:

I knocked up this woman I thought I would never see again. An abortion may have been recommended to her. I have to give up some of my paycheck for child support. I’m married. Yeah, so if I get divorced I lose half of money. We have children together. Yeah, so I’m not quite the dead poets society role model I pretended to be. I’m almost 28. Yeah, so I’ve got like two years left before no one wants to pay me. My life pretty much sucks right now. So I’m pouting like a baby.

46. 20texans02 says: Aug 14, 2014 6:20 PM

I attended one of the Texans practices. Arian Foster was signing autographs and talking normal to fans. He is a good guy and misunderstood because of the media. Houston media is amongst the worst in the nation. Don’t believe me read the chron. Fans are bad here too because of all the losing teams and horrible management through the years. Houston media feeds these fans with crap.

47. andymannfl says: Aug 14, 2014 6:23 PM

I don’t know how a so-called lawyer could be critical of this when they can’t even use proper grammar in an article title…

48. southsidesteve86 says: Aug 14, 2014 6:25 PM

Oh man. All the tabloid journalists from ESPN and PFT won’t be able to take statements out of contexts and misconstrue words to create a controversy where there is none.

Too bad. So sad. This is what you “journalists” get.

49. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 14, 2014 6:28 PM

Oh NOES ! Oh waaaaaaaaaaaa !

A player wouldn’t give the media any fodder to create and artificial controversy out of. How terrible and cruel of that player not to give the media several outrageous statements so they can get zillions of clicks as a result.

50. damcmp says: Aug 14, 2014 6:29 PM

Foster is or was a media ho! from being a vegan, to having a heart procedure to taking money at Tennessee to knocking up a woman.. Now he is being an arse to garner more attention

51. askingwater says: Aug 14, 2014 6:33 PM

Duane Thomas 2.0. See circa 1971.

52. andymannfl says: Aug 14, 2014 6:34 PM

Fans are laughing at this, Florio needs to find his soother. Even NFL sideline reporters think these questions are useless.

53. wiitrainingcamp says: Aug 14, 2014 6:39 PM

In the mind of the media:

Players need to answer questions with abandon so that they might inadvertently say something that could be exploited using gotcha journalism which could result in tons of page hits.

Once the media has successfully exploited the answers to the point that it’s a distraction to your team, the media will write more articles (and generate more page hits) by criticizing that player for causing a distraction.

Frankly, I applaud any player, especially a player who may have been burned in the past, from not cooperating with the media. Somehow I think I’ll manage to get through my day without an answer from a player about what it felt like to get back out on the practice field.

54. shatho1 says: Aug 14, 2014 6:45 PM

food for him. he didn’t say anything that would cause the media to blow up and make a big deal out of it. I love it #staysuckafree lol

55. unclesilus says: Aug 14, 2014 6:46 PM

Why are these guys “Required” to answer questions anyway?

56. mackcarrington says: Aug 14, 2014 6:51 PM

Fascinating how they called the way he answered their questions a “distraction”.

57. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 14, 2014 6:53 PM

I don’t always answer questions…. but when I do I prefer to be a good teammate”

– The most interesting Texan in the world

58. thethunderofgunns says: Aug 14, 2014 6:57 PM

Grow up Floria, you nor the rest of the MSM are entitled to have anyone answer your asinine questions in the way you want. :)

59. boldcity904 says: Aug 14, 2014 7:02 PM

The Texans are a dumpster fire. Everything going on around this team is an embarrassment

60. thelastpieceofcheese says: Aug 14, 2014 7:45 PM

What about asking good-faith questions?

61. titimium says: Aug 14, 2014 8:35 PM

Is Baby mad because the local media weren’t nice to him? Waahhhhh! He’s going to show them who’s in charge! I’m guessing he’ll never ever need to promote anything locally while he’s still playing ? Or when he’s retired and far fewer people care about him.

62. gayforbrady says: Aug 14, 2014 8:41 PM

Does forcing someone to get and abortion count as Domestic Violence?

63. dritchie84 says: Aug 14, 2014 8:49 PM

But when belichick does this it’s a big deal….when another team does this its respectable…..sigh

64. thetruthcampaign says: Aug 14, 2014 9:06 PM

Good for him. Bad interview means he doesn’t say anything stupid that the media can capitalize on.

65. gayforbrady says: Aug 14, 2014 9:09 PM

dritchie84 says:
    Aug 14, 2014 8:49 PM

________________

Now you’re getting it.

66. bengal4life says: Aug 14, 2014 10:05 PM

I love his answers. The media always liked to twist words of the people they’re interviewing. Foster 1 media 0.

67. drez146 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:11 PM

I love how the media now wants to tell athletes how there supposed to answer questions…unbelievable

68. eagles512 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:54 PM

Didn’t seem like goofball answers to me.

69. dobreshunka says: Aug 14, 2014 11:22 PM

I thought the media would run with those quotes. He gave ‘em all they ever want.

70. bittersportspills says: Aug 15, 2014 12:21 AM

I’m done. I’m no longer watching the NFL due to players not desiring to answer questions from the media.

Sincerely;

Nobody

71. packmanfan says: Aug 15, 2014 1:29 AM

He has every right in the book to talk however he wants to talk to the media.
    If the NFL, with it’s relationship with the military, truly believes in the brainwashing propaganda that soldiers are really fighting for our rights, then they should be OK with what Foster tells the media.

72. rainponcho87 says: Aug 15, 2014 3:34 AM

I think part of the problem is because game is huge in popularity and everything is 24/7 now, fans want constant updates or new information. The media try to provide it, but most of the time, there is actually very little new information. Any random perusal of this site or ESPN proves that. So I can imagine the players get tired of answering the same question over and over, worded slightly different ways. How can you possibly answer again and again how preseason practice is going? Every player is working to get better and have a good season. There is no need for press conferences. This isn’t the president updating us on Iraq. Everything that needs to be communicated happens during the game on Sunday. The only meaningful interviews are the longer interviews where a player sits down with on interviewer and that is usually after a season is over.

73. buccan33rz1976 says: Aug 15, 2014 5:19 AM

I wish they all were like this….

74. gf2711 says: Aug 15, 2014 7:28 AM

Oh please…. it’s more interesting than the typical “110% routine,” or the “Make adjustments and try to get first downs.”

The next time someone in the league says something useful will be the first time.

75. tlippert says: Aug 15, 2014 9:54 AM

So we’re supposed to have a problem with Foster but when Popovich does this, he’s brilliant??

76. 23rdusernameused says: Aug 15, 2014 10:23 AM

love this dude!
    not a tx fan

77. tim8450 says: Aug 15, 2014 1:45 PM

the media should either
    a) ask better questions
    b) ask someone who likes to hear their own voice and see their own face on TV.

I am unsympathetic.

Good on their new coach for teaching them to minimize distractions.