Percy Harvin: I’ve found gears I didn’t know I had

Percy Harvin AP

At the top of the very short list of things that went wrong for the Seahawks last year was the hip injury that kept wide receiver Percy Harvin out of all but one regular season game and two postseason contests.

The Seahawks traded for Harvin and gave him a new contract in hopes that he would be a major player in their passing attack, but things didn’t turn out that way because of his hip. Listening to Harvin discuss his condition heading into this season should give the team some optimism that the desired impact has just been delayed by a year.

Harvin, who the team’s website calls the most impressive player at training camp, says he’s feeling great, practicing every day when the plan was for him to be on a more limited schedule and finding new parts of his game.

“You have no idea,” Harvin said. “My body is feeling tremendously good. I’ve actually reached some gears that I didn’t know I had. I’m feeling very, very fast right now.”

Harvin showed what his speed brings to the table in the Super Bowl with a kickoff return touchdown and a pair of big gains as a runner, a group of plays that has to whet appetites in Seattle about what an increased Harvin presence can provide them in 2014 at any gear.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
48 Responses to “Percy Harvin: I’ve found gears I didn’t know I had”
  1. RegisHawk says: Aug 14, 2014 9:49 AM

Know fear.

Go ‘Hawks!

2. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Aug 14, 2014 9:50 AM

talking about harvin actually producing in a football game is enough to give me (and him) a migraine….

3. jboard1 says: Aug 14, 2014 9:51 AM

Dear NFL, watch out.

4. felcus says: Aug 14, 2014 9:51 AM

From driving your car because you’re never playing?

5. mrsryansfamoustoejam says: Aug 14, 2014 9:52 AM

Super low granny gear?

6. cartrasuma says: Aug 14, 2014 9:55 AM

A freaky but fragile talent.

7. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 14, 2014 9:56 AM

So let’s see…

Won the SB without a healthy Harvin, who was considered league MVP before the Hawks put him out when he was playing for the lowly Vikings (obligatory SKOL), now is the healthiest and fastest he’s been since college.

Wow.

Wonder how Beast will do when defenses can no longer stack the box?

8. jimmyt says: Aug 14, 2014 9:57 AM

I get a migrane listening to this guy.

9. poetpft says: Aug 14, 2014 9:58 AM

*Then burns out his clutch*

10. 700levelvet says: Aug 14, 2014 10:04 AM

Roll em if you got em

11. usdcoyotesfan says: Aug 14, 2014 10:08 AM

The PEDs must be kicking in.

12. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 14, 2014 10:08 AM

So let’s see…

Wow.

Wonder how Beast will do when defenses can no longer stack the box?

Ain’t PED’S grand. Skol

13. usdcoyotesfan says: Aug 14, 2014 10:08 AM

The PEDs are kicking in.

14. cranialdisturbance says: Aug 14, 2014 10:09 AM

He should find the playing football gear.

15. GreenAndBlueMakesMeSpew says: Aug 14, 2014 10:09 AM

when you use the gears you didn’t know you had, they usually fragment, especially in Harvin’s case. I bet he hits IR by the second regular season game.

McAuDrDsEeN

16. whodey420 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Those gears will grind to a halt before the season is over.

17. perkjctc says: Aug 14, 2014 10:13 AM

what like “neutral” and “reverse” with all the time he’s spent on IR and rehab setbacks.

18. sactomkiii says: Aug 14, 2014 10:15 AM

It makes sense I hear adderall really helps your 40 time.

19. dabears2485 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:28 AM

Cool. But can he stay healthy? Fastest man at practice doesn’t matter much come game time.

20. jboard1 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:28 AM

The Seahawks didn’t even need Harvin to get to and win the Super Bowl last year. Let that sink in

21. thejuddstir says: Aug 14, 2014 10:31 AM

reverse is a gear and it seems to keep taking poor percy to the trainers room or IR

22. fwippel says: Aug 14, 2014 10:34 AM

Does he mean “neutral”? Oh wait, he was stuck in that gear for nearly all of last season.

23. beastmode5150 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:39 AM

Haters in need of new “jokes” try some about a subject that actually happened for guys that are on the team…

Browner and Thurmond are gone.

24. pacificnw7722 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:39 AM

jealous haters are out in force today. GO HARVIN!!!

25. mazenblue says: Aug 14, 2014 10:42 AM

Translation: I still puke when I run laps, but at ten laps now. Go me.

26. ayyyjayyy says: Aug 14, 2014 10:51 AM

PED Carroll showed him how to “get” the extra gears.

27. hawksfan10 says: Aug 14, 2014 11:00 AM

Gotta love the Viking fans talking about PED’s. Wasn’t it just a little while ago that a certain Viking DT was suspended for PED use?

Go Hawks!

28. jayniner says: Aug 14, 2014 11:05 AM

Would that be the Overdrive gear that’s made of glass?

29. summitmech says: Aug 14, 2014 11:09 AM

I bought Harvin’s jersey the year the Vikings drafted him, in 2009. Then he became a pretentious selfish diva, and let down his loyal fans. He’s a great player, and I’m still happy he’s not on our team anymore. We prefer players with good character in Minnesota. Thank goodness we finally got rid of Chris Cook too.

30. scoobaj says: Aug 14, 2014 11:15 AM

The guy is still young and improving as a football player mentally, he had one major freak injury in his career and people are losing their perspective on how dangerous and explosive he is, stop trying to label him and just enjoying watching one of the most gifted and freakishly talented dudes of this generation. We eat your fear and jealousy like ravenous lions. Go hawks!

31. granadafan says: Aug 14, 2014 11:19 AM

If you don’t believe him, he’ll assault you then sit out the rest of training camp with a “migraine”.

32. caboboy says: Aug 14, 2014 11:40 AM

I’m getting a headache

33. diomed1 says: Aug 14, 2014 12:17 PM

Percy is young and a phenomenal athlete. He was in the running for MVP in 2012 before he tweaked his ankle(ironically, vs Seattle). I had him on my fantasy team and watched him play a lot since I live in NFC North territory. Just the few plays he had last season with the Hawks should show what a freak he is. It will be scary to see him get better this season. I wasn’t thinking about drafting Lynch this year but this news is changing my mind. With Percy in the line up with Lynch, who are they going to defend? Just try to stack the box….
    Love it!!!

34. jolink653 says: Aug 14, 2014 12:27 PM

C’mon, we all know this guy will get himself hurt and be on the sidelines by Week 2. I love the talent he has, and I wish he could stay healthy, but this dude is officially made of glass.

35. releasetheharvin says: Aug 14, 2014 12:49 PM

Yikes!

36. dalcow4 says: Aug 14, 2014 12:51 PM

I’d like to see him play. Hopefully he won’t get hurt again. Cheattle will need him this year.

37. flannlv says: Aug 14, 2014 12:53 PM

Harvin is a poor man’s Brandin Cooks.

38. slugbaitspace says: Aug 14, 2014 1:15 PM

I watched the rookie Richardson get four catches last week. The surprising thing on each grab was how much separation he was able to get…that kid is both fast and quick.

Pairing him up across from Harvin with Beast in the back field is going to give defenses migraines.

39. hawkitrond says: Aug 14, 2014 1:20 PM

Huge Hawks fan here, but I got to admit when it seemed like we were going to make a big move at receiver I was kind of hoping for us to get Boldin instead of Harvin. Don’t get me wrong, my kids got a framed picture of Harvin returning the kick in the super bowl in his room and I hope he comes in this year with a vengeance and I know how explosive he can be and how valuable he will be if healthy but it really does seem like he is just too good to be true, this year against Minnesota it just seemed like every time he got hit it looked a lot more painful than when anyone else got hit. I am hoping for the best but I find it so hard to imagine him playing 12+ games, but for the record fellow Hawk fans I am definitely hoping for the best because if he stays healthy I believe our offense becomes as much of a strength as our defense currently is.

40. packerbadger says: Aug 14, 2014 1:39 PM

“I’ve actually reached some gears that I didn’t know I had. ”
    ==================================
    Yeah, whatever…

41. bobk3333 says: Aug 14, 2014 2:23 PM

He already had more gears than anyone in the NFL Lord have mercy!

42. pondersucks07 says: Aug 14, 2014 2:36 PM

Viking Fan, Seattle is lucky to have a great talent like Harvin, This year he will show why the Sea Hags traded for him, They just had a taste of what Harvin can do in the Super Bowl. Harvin when healthy can do so much as a wr/rb/kick off returner/ Other teams have to focus their defense and special teams on Harvin, Gives 100% on the field, If not for our coaches taking Ponder as their future instead of listening to Harvin as he called out his coach about the OB’s ability or lack of ability. Spielman also said he would redo Percy’s rookie contract as it was a cheap contract for a NO.1 pick if he out played the contract in the first two years. Spielman did not live up to his word. Percy responded by missing 1 day of training camp. Having a MVP season, Even with a Lousy QB, Sea Hags injured Percy on a high floating Bubble screen pass, But Percy wouldn’t come out of the game. Playing injured Percy hurt himself more after pulling up lame after a big run. Percy went on the IR and Spielman and Percy communication broke down, thus the famous line from Spielman……. We are not looking to trade Percy. Which means give me a call and will talk about it.

43. pnwl4a says: Aug 14, 2014 3:01 PM

Percy on one side
    Richardson on the other
    Lynch in the backfield
    and
    Wilson at the helm…

won’t just give defenses migranes
    it will lead Seattle to their second SB victory

44. deltaoracle says: Aug 14, 2014 4:18 PM

Many people who get out of Minnesota feel that way.

45. ceehawkfan says: Aug 14, 2014 6:18 PM

A lot of people are going to be eating crow this upcoming season. PERCY IS GONNA TEAR IT UP! GO HAWKS!

46. jollyjoker2 says: Aug 14, 2014 7:21 PM

percy have a headache again?

47. pftpoetsboyfriend says: Aug 14, 2014 8:58 PM

Why is Minnie such a sad minor league football franchise?

48. elsupremodeluxe says: Aug 14, 2014 9:53 PM