Rolando McClain says he loves football, in a roundabout way

Rolando McClain AP

The Cowboys like what they’ve seen so far from Rolando McClain, they just want to see it more consistently.

The Raiders probably laugh a bitter laugh when they hear that, having burned the eighth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on him.

But so far, the returns have been good on McClain.

He’s very impressive when he’s out there,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “The big thing with him right now is being able to put good days together.

“He’s a big guy. He can run. He’s physical. He’s instinctive. He flashes as a guy who knows what he is doing. He reads things. He strikes the runner. There are a lot of things to like about him, but again it’s still early. He’s got to do it again and again and again.”

McClain’s been dealing with some minor injuries, but the major concern is whether he’s committed to the game this time, after retiring twice. He cited “personal reasons” for walking away from the game, and had an interesting response when asked if he loved football.

“I love life,” he said. “I love life, and football is part of my life, so I love life.”

You’ll pardon us if that doesn’t sound like a man who is burying questions about his dedication, but the Cowboys are in a position where all they can do is hope for the best.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Rolando McClain says he loves football, in a roundabout way”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 14, 2014 9:52 AM

Keep working at it, but sounds good so far!

2. shatho1 says: Aug 14, 2014 9:52 AM

I like what I hear about him but I wouldn’t get my hopes up on him too soon

3. 700levelvet says: Aug 14, 2014 10:00 AM

The perfect player for…”The most mediocre franchise in sports”…

4. r8rsfan says: Aug 14, 2014 10:16 AM

If somebody can figure out what buttons to push, he can be a very good player. Saban called him one of the smartest defensive players he ever coached. The only stopping Rolando is himself.

5. mad55555 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:32 AM

LOL at the Raiders and cowboys.

6. starfan79 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:42 AM

It doesnt really matter if he is here or not.. The cowboys D will not be better or worse with him. If Demarcus Ware couldnt make this defense better with Sean Lee on the scene then this guy wont either. What we need is some defensive lineman that can plug holes and maybe some corners that can cover.

7. GBwomenrhot says: Aug 14, 2014 10:43 AM

Another reason for Cowboy fans to buy up those Playoff tickets ole Jerry is pushing….DOH!!!

8. u4iadman says: Aug 14, 2014 10:43 AM

Pay the raiders back you bum.

9. greg285 says: Aug 14, 2014 10:49 AM

He will quit on the Cowboys like he quit on the Ravens and Raiders….He’s an knucklehead who wants to be in Alabama and that’s fine, just say so…..

10. Eutaw's Finest says: Aug 14, 2014 10:53 AM

As a Ravens fan looking to get an extra pick if he ends up actually making the roster and playing? Hope for the best for him. That being said, this is a man who just quit on football within the past year after a 1 year hiatus. How reliable is that?

11. 88xfactor says: Aug 14, 2014 11:16 AM

Not sold on him yet. Don’t see the excitement about football yet. Maybe he has had a few bad years away from the game. And once his life is in order, then he can focus on football. Hope he comes around soon. We need a true middle linebacker. And that he is.

12. joetoronto says: Aug 14, 2014 12:20 PM

“He’s a big guy. He can run. He’s physical. He’s instinctive.

I’m sorry but he’s clearly not fast or instinctive.

He’s always picks the wrong gap and he’s slow as molasses on a cold day.

13. ravenswhat says: Aug 14, 2014 12:44 PM

He had a chance to play for Ozzie who went out on a limb for him but he walked away twice. Now he’s suddenly reinvigorated with Jerry and the cowboys? Why??

14. whenwilliteverend says: Aug 14, 2014 12:45 PM

I bet he loves the paycheck more than he loves life. He probably wasn’t looking forward to flipping burgers at McDonalds the rest of his life.

15. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 14, 2014 1:13 PM

The guy is a slug.
    An I the only

16. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 14, 2014 1:15 PM

The guy is a slug.
    Am I the only one who was paying attention when he played for the Raiders? I knew he’d never pan out halfway through his first season. I’ve seen nothing since to change my opinion.

17. stash918 says: Aug 14, 2014 1:47 PM

I’ve spent some time in Alabama. He’s done and everyone knows it– Raider fans, Ravens fans, and Crimson Tide fans. To play in the NFL you have to want it badly and RoLo has already said he doesn’t. So I don’t know what the confusion is here. Jerry and Jason Garrett are living on a river in Egypt called denial.

18. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 14, 2014 1:50 PM

I want to buy into McClain but I just can’t. Most likely the Cowboys are going to see why the Raiders moved on from him and why he is considered a major underachiever.

Yes the size and quickness are there but is the desire to play football and work at getting better part of his M.O.?

I just can’t see this ending good.

19. sportstalkprofessional says: Aug 14, 2014 6:39 PM

700levelvet: the perfect troll of everything regarding America’s Team

20. raiderapologist says: Aug 14, 2014 8:44 PM

No offense to Dallas, but the guy is a bum. I hope he continues to fail.