“A Football Life” looks at Sean Taylor this year

Taylor Getty Images

Last year, when NFL Network’s excellent “A Football Life” series tabbed Matt Millen for the full-hour treatment, I wondered whether the powers-that-be had run out of ideas.

Fortunately, they haven’t.  Via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post, this year’s edition of the program will include an in-depth look at the late Sean Taylor.

It’s long overdue.  Taylor, who entered the league in 2004 as a top-10 draft pick, quickly became one of the best young defensive players in the NFL.  He overcame some off-field issues as he matured as a player and as a man, but then he was killed in his home during a burglary gone bad in November 2007.

Nearly seven years after his death, Taylor remains beloved in Washington and remembered throughout the NFL.  Especially by Brian Moorman.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
21 Responses to ““A Football Life” looks at Sean Taylor this year”
  1. fballguy says: Aug 15, 2014 9:58 AM

I thought the Millen episode was great. Millen is a very entertaining guy…just not such a hot GM.

2. rg3toskins says: Aug 15, 2014 10:11 AM

Rip dear Sean, we miss you…HTTR

3. dirtydrynn27 says: Aug 15, 2014 10:12 AM

RIP Sean Taylor!

4. humpofdc says: Aug 15, 2014 10:14 AM

Sean R.I.P. #HTTR!!!

5. texansfan82 says: Aug 15, 2014 10:24 AM

Can’t wait. He was one of my favourite players in college, and I desperately hoped my Texans would find a way to land him in the 2004 draft.

6. sacriphice6 says: Aug 15, 2014 10:28 AM

Sean was able to transition into a ballhawk in his final season thanks to the arrival of Landry. I believe he had 4-5 picks over his first half of the season before suffering a knee injury. He had the potential to revolutionize the position and he was such a specimen. I believe that he would be well on his way to the Hall if he had not passed. I hope that they give an in-depth look into the man and not just focus on the negative headlines.

7. GettingNoRespect says: Aug 15, 2014 10:31 AM

He will forever live in the hearts of Redskins fans.

8. mnesmith77 says: Aug 15, 2014 10:33 AM

I will be setting my DVR. Definitely a keeper #21. Would have been one of the GREATEST!!!!

9. dkalev says: Aug 15, 2014 10:36 AM

Anybody watch the Michael strahan football life on nfln? Yknow, the one right after the hall of fame ceremony, where halfway through they cut out to “latest news” to talk about basketball and then never resumed it? Yeah…

10. dkalev says: Aug 15, 2014 10:37 AM

I hope I can watch this one in its entirety…

11. mrtevytev says: Aug 15, 2014 10:37 AM

Way overdue. Had his career stayed on the path it was heading not only would he be the best safety in the game, but he just might have been the first and maybe only $100 million dollar safety, and having Dan Snyder would’ve made that even more possible. He was already one of the best after just 4 years he would’ve been one of the greatest after 4 more, and maybe Top 2-3 by the time his career was over …. The RIGHT way.

12. sbb05 says: Aug 15, 2014 10:43 AM

It took that long? I thought maybe they had run out of ideas when the Tim Tebow episode aired.

13. rg3sus says: Aug 15, 2014 10:47 AM

Taylor jerseys are still one of the top 5 you see at Fedex on any game day. Football aside, he finally grew up during the last year of his life. He is very much missed in Washington and will always be in the Redskins ring of honor.

14. scoops1 says: Aug 15, 2014 10:53 AM

I’d like to see less Football Life’s about current players and more about the old players, historic games, etc.

I.E

Sterling Sharp

Ronnie Lott

Anthony Muñoz

15. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 15, 2014 11:12 AM

miss Sean very much

kid had become a man and talent was always extraordinary

he would probably be the dominant safety in the league right now.. a better in prime Palamalu

just imagine what he would have meant and mean to the Redskins; imagine that safety crew of him and Laron Landry

wish those punks were extinct..hear they are getting free room and board down in Florida

RIP Sean, you are missed!

16. vablockaderunner says: Aug 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Still have my #21 towel they gave out to fans at Fed Ex for the first game after he passed away — hangs on my bulletin board in my office.

The most bizarre game ever — began with Gregg Williams deliberately sending only 10 guys out to play defense before inserting Reed Doughty as the new free safety on the 2nd play. Touching video tribute to Sean at half time. Ended with the Bills winning on a last-second field goal, which was made much shorter because Joe Gibbs called back-to-back timeouts to “ice” the kicker, resulting in a 15-yard penalty.

But good grief, what a player he was. 230 pounds, ran like the wind, hit like a missile, soft hands snagging picks. Could play single high safety and cover the entire deep field with his range. Could move up and play man on TE’s and even WR’s in the slot. Could blitz. Blew people up in run support. Just awesome.

RIP Sean, you were phenomenal.

17. iamdinguskhan says: Aug 15, 2014 11:24 AM

One of the greatest Redskins to ever play…a total beast. Sean will forever live in the hearts of Redskins Nation.
    RIP Sean
    HTTR

18. sidepull says: Aug 15, 2014 11:37 AM

The ferocity of a lion and the speed and grace of a gazelle all in one.

19. firesnyder says: Aug 15, 2014 1:48 PM

I wear his jersey every Sunday. Miss you and your hits bro!

20. 1standinches says: Aug 16, 2014 3:31 AM

I still cry over his passing. what incredible football player, never seen anybody play that well at that position. Sean Taylor will live in our memory forever. The Redskins I believe should retire Sean Taylor’s number 21

21. axespray says: Aug 16, 2014 2:54 PM