Dwayne Bowe apologizes for mistake that led to suspension

Cincinnati Bengals v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

Dwayne Bowe issued the standard apology for being suspended for a week for a violation of the league’s drug policy.

“I am extremely sorry that I can’t be on the field for the first game of the 2014 season because I made an error in judgment,” he said. “I take responsibility for my mistake, and it will not happen again. I hope that my teammates, coaches, and Chiefs fans accept my sincere apology. I will be supporting my teammates in week one, and I cannot wait to get back on the field to help us win in week two and beyond as we work towards our goal of winning the Super Bowl.”

The real regret might be on the part of the Chiefs, for signing him a year ago.

His five-year, $56 million contract included $26 million in guarantees, including his $8.75 million salary this year.

He responded to the deal with a pedestrian 57 catches for 673 yards and five touchdowns last year, which might make the Chiefs wonder if the best plan is to use the suspension as grounds to try to get out from under an expensive mistake.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Dwayne Bowe apologizes for mistake that led to suspension”
  1. taylorgangtrippymane says: Aug 15, 2014 1:49 PM

His career is lost somewhere over the Dwayne Bowe

2. 69finfan says: Aug 15, 2014 1:57 PM

Of course he does

3. sdboltaction says: Aug 15, 2014 2:02 PM

We’ll take him in San Diego! :D

4. dethsupport says: Aug 15, 2014 2:09 PM

This dude doesn’t get it. Unreliable. Every time I hear about Bowe it has something to do with underachievement.

5. mushin9 says: Aug 15, 2014 2:22 PM

“This dude doesn’t get it. Unreliable. Every time I hear about Bowe it has something to do with underachievement”

Not fair or true. Dude has his knucklehead moments, but he also has been an ideal teammate. Didn’t get thrown at, didn’t complain. Blocked downfield like he was Hines Ward last year.

Hasn’t played up to that contract. But just cause he doesn’t break the fantasy scoreboard, doesn’t mean he is ‘unreliable’.

The fact that he playes in KC and isn’t named Johnny Manziel doesn’t help either.

6. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 15, 2014 2:23 PM

Probably a good thing for Dwayne that they didn’t test him at the time the picture was taken.

7. joemammy says: Aug 15, 2014 2:39 PM

It’s not a “mistake.” It’s stupidity.

Apologize for being stupid, Dwayne.

8. radar8 says: Aug 15, 2014 2:52 PM

Mistake? Did bowe accidentally fall into the drugs with his mouth open?

It wasn’t an accident. He took the drugs on purpose. It was simply a stupid move.

9. patsbrat says: Aug 15, 2014 2:52 PM

Ho Hum…standard apology for an all-to-standard suspension.

10. dethsupport says: Aug 15, 2014 3:34 PM

@mushin9

Yeah? Way I hear it Bowe has double digit “that couldn’t be any worse timing” drops a year.

I’m a rube too so I get trying to defend him, but he’s just not a game changer. He’s an overpriced underachiever.

11. purpleguy says: Aug 15, 2014 4:16 PM

How is lighting a joint/bong and taking a hit a mistake? Did he think it was tobacco? Sheesh. Why don’t these guys just say: “I’m a dope, I knew it was wrong, still know its wrong, but knowingly and with deliberate intent did it anyhow.”

12. kcflake says: Aug 15, 2014 4:18 PM

I’m anti weed, but isn’t it legal in colorado and washington. Should that fact not be a part of the argument?

13. dethsupport says: Aug 15, 2014 5:09 PM

What difference does it make if it’s legal in Washington or Colorado? Alcohol is legal in all 50 states, but you can’t show up to work drunk.

Who’s anti-weed anyway?

14. abninf says: Aug 15, 2014 6:49 PM

That wasn’t the standard apology. He actually manned up and didn’t blame it on a “supplement” or adderall. I can respect that.

15. joetoronto says: Aug 16, 2014 7:16 AM

He actually said the words Chiefs and Super Bowl in the same sentence. :)