Jon Beason feeling good, might play in preseason

Jon Beason AP

Jon Beason’s recovery from a toe injury is going so well, he wants to play in the preseason.

(Maybe he can play offense.)

The Giants linebacker said he remains on track to play in the regular season opener, and hopes to get a few snaps in before then.

“I think so, I feel pretty good, man. I’m going through the progressions,” Beason said, via Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Today should be pretty aggressive getting after it and doing some things based off reaction as opposed to anticipation, which is what we do on defense.”

Beason has fought through numerous injuries (torn Achilles, microfracture surgery, shoulder problems) before in has career, so he’s used to adapting.

This time, he’s going to be fitted with custom orthotics, and wants to test his toe on artificial turf before he’s ready to declare himself ready.

“I feel like I’m really close, but I have to go out and do it and I want to test it, that’s going to confirm it for me,” he said. “Obviously, we play a lot of games on turf. Turf is more rigid than grass, so it’s going to feel really good on grass. In my opinion, we should only play football on grass, you do yourself a huge service later on.”

That he’s feeling good enough to consider playing over the next two weeks is doubtless a good sign. But the way the Giants are looking at the moment, they should save all their chips for the regular season, when they might need all the margin of error they can get.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Jon Beason feeling good, might play in preseason”
  1. floratiotime says: Aug 18, 2014 1:38 PM

The Giants are in a rebuilding phase.

2. hyzers says: Aug 18, 2014 1:56 PM

He’s going to be a liability for the Giants week 1.

3. justintuckrule says: Aug 18, 2014 2:12 PM

It’s all about the OL. Simple as that.

4. dallassux says: Aug 18, 2014 2:19 PM

Oh now their rebuilding? Too funny

5. crito22 says: Aug 18, 2014 2:26 PM

Everyone ripping on the offensive play when the new system was JUST fully installed last week and they’re just now working deep passes in. Not even gameplanning. Next two games will be more telling.

6. justintuckrule says: Aug 18, 2014 3:03 PM

Yes. Rebuilding happens for teams AFTER they win something. You wouldn’t know what rebuilding is because something needs to be built in the first place for it to be rebuilt.

7. dallassux says: Aug 18, 2014 4:57 PM

Oh wait so you’re rebuilding still from 4 years ago???? Two weeks ago it was the Giants are back. NFC east champs….now it’s we’re rebuilding after getting a glimpse of JD Walton, Geoff Schwartz and charles brown. Way to cop out giants fans.

8. bigbluepa83 says: Aug 18, 2014 7:39 PM

Funny thing is, u go on the eagles page n u never see dallassucks on there lol… this guy is a true hater, just trolls around on ur pages. Prolly wants to hold r trophies as well… bum never won nutn lmao

9. sbboundgiants says: Aug 18, 2014 10:00 PM

Cruz himself said that they aren’t showing much of the REAL offense in the pre-season games. Everyone is jumping off the bandwagon but that’s cool.

I admit the O-Line is a concern, but I think it will all come together. I’ll reserve judgement till after the Lions game.

The Giants are not “rebuilding:, that’s ridiculous.