Kelly pushes McCoy’s practice buttons

Kelly Getty Images

On Sunday, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy missed practice with what he called a “small version of turf toe.”  On Tuesday, coach Chip Kelly rolled out a small version of passive aggression when talking about McCoy’s overall practice habits.

It’s OK,” Kelly said regarding the question of whether McCoy’s return to practice on Monday reveals a strong work ethic, via Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com.  “Some days he’s great out there.  Other days, he’s not so great.”

McCoy, who recently said that Kelly pushes the star tailback like no other coach ever has, didn’t take questions about Kelly’s remark.  (And all that that implies, possibly.)

Kelly otherwise downplayed the toe injury, said that McCoy is “fine,” that it’s “not as big of an issue as I think anybody has made it out to be, and that the issue has become “way overblown.”

Still, McCoy used the phrase “small version of turf toe,” and former NFL athletic trainer Mike Ryan joined Tuesday’s Pro Football Talk on NBCSN to explain what that means and how it can affect a running back.  Plus he brought props.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Kelly pushes McCoy’s practice buttons”
  1. seabrawk12 says: Aug 19, 2014 7:07 PM

“We’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man.” – Allen Iverson

2. justintuckrule says: Aug 19, 2014 7:08 PM

Ahmad Bradshaw used to practice and both his feet are basically made of metal. McCoy sits out with, huh? One has 2 rings and the other has a big mouth. Guess which is which.

In a nutshell, this is what separates Super Bowl winning franchises from those other teams who win their titles in August.

3. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 19, 2014 7:11 PM

It only “limits pushing off and changing direction”.

Neither are a big deal for McCoy.

4. elrock7 says: Aug 19, 2014 7:12 PM

McCoy is an excellent player, but after listening to his comments on a variety of issues over the past several months, I think he is starting to go diva on us.

5. greymares says: Aug 19, 2014 7:14 PM

Watched the whole press conference and certainly did not interpret it that way. But then I don’t try to sensationalize every tid bit of info that comes out of these meaningless talks. Why does a coach have to tell these writers what they were watching at practice. Learn the game and apply it to your trade.

6. anthonyromo says: Aug 19, 2014 7:15 PM

Expect a monster year from Shady

7. chargersdiehard says: Aug 19, 2014 7:19 PM

Love the new video links.

8. karmaisabeeyatch says: Aug 19, 2014 7:40 PM

Eagles should have traded mccoy to the bills instead of Bryce brown

9. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Aug 19, 2014 7:43 PM

chip kelly is over blown

10. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 19, 2014 7:46 PM

So what’s the percentage breakdown between the great and not so great days? I’ll just guess it’s 50-50 for now since it sounded neutral.

And I’d like to know if Kelly ever has any not so great days himself since he seems to have specific categories for performance judging, and I’ll just assume he believes that his percentage beats McCoy and that he is the more consistent member of the team between the two of them. I wonder if he just edges him out or if he crushes McCoy on those stats.

I think I’ll put Kelly down for a not so great day today, since it’s hard to get excited about coaches who offer deflating soundbites about how one of their best players has a tendency to be not so great.

11. jayniner says: Aug 19, 2014 7:48 PM

They make Turf Toe sounds like some gangrenous toe affliction that will turn green and black and fall off if not taken care of.

12. codythao35 says: Aug 19, 2014 7:52 PM

McCoy makes me chuckle/giggle when he said he’s better than AP. Oh wait, McCoy is already declared himself a HOF.LOL!!!!

13. wiitrainingcamp says: Aug 19, 2014 7:53 PM

I think you can apply this comment to a majority of NFL media reports.

14. jayovalentine says: Aug 19, 2014 7:56 PM

Chip Jelly is gonna alienate this team like Schiano did in Tampa. Just watch !! DJax, and next Shady will be shipped out…

15. homerx says: Aug 19, 2014 7:57 PM

After reading this I did not get that from the article. And not for nothing but the Eagles not winnning a super bowl will not be because McCoy sat out practice in August. He’s a cut back runner that relies heavily on change of direction. If Chip did mean something by his comment he should just let it go, he has bigger fish to fry.

And this coming from a Giants fan.

16. herrcules13 says: Aug 19, 2014 8:01 PM

elrock7, Shady is STARTING to go diva? Where have you been, haha.

17. lionsnati0n says: Aug 19, 2014 8:10 PM

McCoy has “minor turf toe”, Jamal Charles “bruised is foot while moving”. Im freaking out!! Draft is Saturday why are you doing this to me!!!!

18. bobbyinlondon says: Aug 19, 2014 8:14 PM

Some of you guys are nuts. Kelly alienate his team like Schiano??? Yeah, ok. Listen, him and McCoy got into it last year because of McCoy’s tendency to dance around when there is no hole–just like D Jax did the last 3 years when he was fielding punts. After Kelly blasted McCoy for not running through a hole against the Bucs, McCoy got a snapshot to show Kelly there was no hole. The next day, IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE TEAM, Kelly apologized to McCoy and said he was wrong. That’s why they buy into Kelly’s system.

19. abninf says: Aug 19, 2014 8:23 PM

jayovalentine says:

Chip Jelly is gonna alienate this team like Schiano did in Tampa.
    ===================================

Jimmy Johnson made coaches like Kelly look like coach “Rah”. Worked out okay for him.

20. mungman69 says: Aug 19, 2014 8:23 PM

This whole story has been WAY overblown.
    Hockey and basketball haven’t started and your baseball team must stink. I see no other reason why these comments have been made.

21. sportsfan18 says: Aug 19, 2014 8:34 PM

seabrawk12 says:
    Aug 19, 2014 7:07 PM

36 14
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know what he should have practiced…

Money management…

22. gammynomnom says: Aug 19, 2014 8:43 PM

seabrawk12 says:
    Aug 19, 2014 7:07 PM
    _________________

And Allen Iverson was reported to be seen outside an Atlanta mall last week begging for change. True Story.

23. brudog says: Aug 19, 2014 9:01 PM

He is no Alfred Morris

24. llcamino says: Aug 19, 2014 9:36 PM

There goes that DeSean Jackson being bad for the locker room again…

25. cashtext4all.com says: Aug 19, 2014 9:46 PM

Maybe the toe needs a bit of rest time to be fully healed. I see no problem with him taking a training day off.

26. kahunanc says: Aug 19, 2014 10:03 PM

Shady has never put two great tears back to back. AR got Shady paid and he quit on him. Just sayin. Shady and DJax birds of a feather. Give me Jamaal Charles any day.

27. jlmd17 says: Aug 19, 2014 10:24 PM

Turf toe is an injury of the lazy.

28. adriansbabymommainwisco says: Aug 19, 2014 10:27 PM

Haha this is hilarious let me know when you compare him to AP…you think “shady” (living up to his nickname with this story) could withstand a season after an ACL and almost break dickersons record? Kelly is genius but I agree with the commenters above saying it only takes one dude alienated that can turn a part of the team against him.

29. troy43mvp says: Aug 19, 2014 10:36 PM

I am a Steelers fan. I can see clearly that Shady is just trying to make sure he goes into the season as healthy as possible. Coach wants him running hard everyday because the timing of his hurry up offense relys on it. There really is no story here. Both will get what they want and the Eagles are the team to beat in that division.

30. chrisk61 says: Aug 19, 2014 10:45 PM

the jury is out on mccoy and his toe til wk 2 or 3 of the regular season.

the broader rumor in philly is kelly doesn’t like mccoy’s style despite his talent and production. effectively the eagles have given mccoy a 1 yr period, maybe 2 yrs, to change his ways. when desean jackson was cut, mccoy was put on notice.

31. captainwisdom8888 says: Aug 20, 2014 12:05 AM

Smart players would recognize that, while he may “push your buttons” every now and then, Chip Kelly is the kind of coach that will do his very best to put each and every player in a position to realize their full potential. As an Eagles fan, I have a feeling that Chip is going to be coaching this team for a long time to come.

32. fissels says: Aug 20, 2014 12:46 AM

Shady will light it up come game time

33. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 20, 2014 1:38 AM

Play head games with Shady? Don’t think so college coach.

34. dubblelznhell says: Aug 20, 2014 2:18 AM

McCoys been talking a lot lately. His first couple years he was relatively quiet.

35. trollingforjustice says: Aug 20, 2014 5:52 AM

Washington will sign Mcoy next year after he gets cut…..

36. jnovi86 says: Aug 20, 2014 11:52 AM

This guy is so arrogant and overrated