Mark Ingram wants bigger role in passing game

New Orleans Saints v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

Saints running back Mark Ingram’s father was an NFL wide receiver and the younger Ingram would like a chance to show that he inherited some of his father’s pass-catching skills.

Ingram turned a pass into a 23-yard touchdown in last week’s game against the Titans, the first time that he’s caught a touchdown pass in the NFL during either the preseason or regular season. The passing game has never been seen as one of Ingram’s strong suits, but he says he’s “comfortable” doing more on that front and hopes the Saints feel the same way.

“I hope so. I want to do everything. I want to be involved in the pass game, run game, picking up pass pro. I want to be the most versatile player I can be,” Ingram said, via ESPN.com. “The majority of the time, if you just watch the film, most of the teams think when I’m in the game it’s either gonna be a run or play-action or something like that. But … we had [Darren] Sproles, Pierre [Thomas], a lot of receiving targets. I’m just trying to welcome that role and prove that I can do it. I know I’m an all-purpose back, a complete back. I can do everything.”

The Saints still do have a lot of receiving targets and Thomas is seen as their best pass blocker at running back, so Ingram may not get a chance to channel his father. If he does get the opportunity and makes something of it, though, it would be a positive for the Saints offense as defenses will have to be aware of all the options available to Drew Brees.

It would also be a positive for Ingram, who would enter free agency with a bigger portfolio to show prospective employers inside and outside of New Orleans.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Mark Ingram wants bigger role in passing game”
  1. schmitty2 says: Aug 19, 2014 3:26 PM

Maybe first he should learn to better hit the holes for positive yardage in the running game seeing by all accounts he only started showing signs of that late last year.

2. noladat says: Aug 19, 2014 3:34 PM

If you prove he can protect the franchise from a blitz he would see a ton in the passing game. Drew is the franchise and if you are a sub par blocker you will come out on passing downs just like ivory did!

3. dude2424 says: Aug 19, 2014 3:48 PM

Nice try Mark but you’re still not going to get the $5 million per year contract that you’re looking for next season.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Aug 19, 2014 3:59 PM

This coming from a guy who is 5-7 on tiptoes.

5. bubbybrisket says: Aug 19, 2014 4:06 PM

#feedingram

6. mazenblue says: Aug 19, 2014 4:20 PM

wasnt his plan to be the greatest running back and now he wants passes. go home, youre drunk marky mark

7. chad504boy says: Aug 19, 2014 4:49 PM

I think Drew Brees is doing just fine back there.

8. Mikey says: Aug 19, 2014 5:07 PM

Mr. Miyagi says, “…if done right… no can defend.” This philosophy would also apply to pass protection. Unfortunately for Ingram, he doesn’t do it right, so defenders just run around or through him, in route to making Brees look out his ear hole. Running backs that expect to get extensive PT in the passing game, in this offense at least, need to learn to pass protect first.

9. 941bucs says: Aug 19, 2014 5:23 PM

Give it to him. Works well for pierre thomas, woked good for sproles. Especially those screens, saints guys up front were always good about gettin down field to block on them screen plays..

10. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 19, 2014 6:42 PM

Gotta be able to dunk the ball man!