Tim Shaw announces he has ALS

Shaw Getty Images

Former linebacker Tim Shaw, who retired after being released last year by the Titans, has become the latest NFL player to develop ALS.

Shaw spent six seasons in the NFL after arriving via the 2007 draft to Carolina.  He made the announcement on Tuesday via a video posted at the Titans’ website.  He then took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, and Shaw thereafter challenged the current Titans roster and the Penn State football team to do the same thing.

Shaw, who also played for the Jaguars and Bears, talked about his plans for the future in March.  Now, those plans have changed dramatically.  We wish him the best as he fights this horrible disease, and we encourage everyone to contribute to the ALS Association and/or to The Gleason Initiative Foundation, started by former Saints defensive back Steve Gleason, and/or to The Brigance Brigade, launched by former Ravens linebacker O.J. Brigance.

With enough money and research and dedication, ALS can be cured.  Here’s hoping it happens sooner than later.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Tim Shaw announces he has ALS”
  1. thepftpoet says: Aug 19, 2014 8:54 PM

Condolences to Tim Shaw and his family.

ALS sucks.

Prayers from Vikings nation.

2. sammadison says: Aug 19, 2014 9:02 PM

Very sad news

Great that this horrible disease is getting so much awareness though.

3. 1973to1991packerssuckedbigtime says: Aug 19, 2014 9:03 PM

I hope to see less and less of these ice bucket challenge videos on line.

Because that means people are donating instead of making a video.

Best of luck to Tim Shaw.

4. skoobyfl says: Aug 19, 2014 9:03 PM

So sorry to hear this, be well.

5. billbrasky72 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:06 PM

Terrible disease. My lifelong neighbor recently was diagnosed. Prayers from another Vikings fan.

6. broncostevenp says: Aug 19, 2014 9:10 PM

I can’t think of a worse disease than ALS and I just made a donation at ALS.net today.

7. bship22 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:13 PM

>With enough money and research and dedication, ALS can be cured.

No no no no no. I’m sorry but as someone who had a family member go through ALS, as well as actually being knowledgeable about it, I can say for certain that there is almost no hope for a cure.

8. robigd says: Aug 19, 2014 9:18 PM

Can’t figure out what kind of person would give thumbs down here. Is bad parenting the source? Shameful that there are people like this in society. Just sad.

9. calhounlambeau says: Aug 19, 2014 9:19 PM

Time to dump ice water on our heads.

10. bspurloc says: Aug 19, 2014 9:20 PM

someday an article will explain what ALS is, instead of making sure “ice bucket” gets in there…
    awareness starts with education… or it used too

11. dickshotdogs says: Aug 19, 2014 9:22 PM

I, too, have a dear friend battling this insidious disease. Fight it with everything you have, Tim. I’m contributing all I can.

Godspeed

12. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 19, 2014 9:22 PM

In the article about his future plans I learned he is pretty good with a guitar. Maybe he can have a part in the SB halftime show and we can make it all about generating money harder and faster to help eliminate this disease sooner than however soon it would have been without that extra money. Every extra day we have to wait for a cure is an extra day of people who won’t get the cure before it’s too late.

13. florsht says: Aug 19, 2014 9:22 PM

Good cause. Support it. Question: Why is ALS found so often among athletes ?

14. joe400e says: Aug 19, 2014 9:23 PM

From always being in the peak of physical condition to going through the later stages of ALS must be traumatic. I hope that they find a cure soon.

15. 950003cups says: Aug 19, 2014 9:24 PM

That’s such sad news. I wish him well.

16. ravensbob says: Aug 19, 2014 9:24 PM

God Bless.

17. Ben Jackson says: Aug 19, 2014 9:25 PM

I love this sport, but it’s getting harder and harder to justify the cost.

18. blacknole08 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:26 PM

Now THIS is courage.

THIS is something worth fighting for.

THIS is something the NFL should be promoting awareness for.

Praying for you Tim!

19. godofwine330 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:30 PM

Condolences to him and his family, but unfortunately we live in a world that doesn’t truly care about the cure…only the come back. There is no money in the cure. Sad. I don’t think they have cured anything since polio.

20. largent80 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:32 PM

wow that’s awful. Seeing the gradual deterioration of Steve Gleason, who was a warrior, was tough to see. Now Shaw knows he’s destined for the same path himself. Prayers to Shaw, his friends and family, and anyone else suffering from this debilitating disease.

21. georgeexley says: Aug 19, 2014 9:32 PM

We all die. I don’t know how I will die but this is not my first choice by a long shot.
    Bless you man !

22. eglsfan says: Aug 19, 2014 9:37 PM

prayers for him & his family

23. gjn804 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:41 PM

Hoping the increased awareness and funding from the ice bucket challenge can bring some improved therapies for people that suffer from this terrible disease.

24. rmcnulty234 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:43 PM

Tim, this you will beat, from Redskins fan..God Bless

25. yesrowntreeyesgrosvener says: Aug 19, 2014 9:43 PM

Oh God, that sucks. It’s terrible watching someone slowly succumb. Just agonizing. Best wishes to him.

26. revroy78 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:45 PM

“With enough money and research and dedication, ALS can be cured. Here’s hoping it happens sooner than later.”

Although I support the sentiment, I’m not sure a cure is likely anytime in the next handful of decades, no matter how much money is spent on R&D. Diseases that relate to the central nervous system are a lot trickier than others (not to say that cancers or infectious diseases are a walk in the park). There’s so much we don’t know about these diseases. Probably the best analogue would be something like Alzheimer’s or MS or Parkinson’s and even with those diseases (and the billions spent on R&D), we’re still just looking at drugs that at best slow the disease’s progression and at worst just are palliative. To be a cure, you need therapies that are disease-altering and those things don’t exactly grow on trees. Nevertheless, my prayers are with Shaw and his family and anyone with ALS.

27. arminscopyofswank says: Aug 19, 2014 9:47 PM

Hope the Titans and Penn State do the challenge.

Wouldn’t be the worst PR for Penn State considering.

Nothing but best wishes for Mr. Shaw and hopefully this thing gets beat, or can be treated, in the near future.

28. fnc111 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:56 PM

I wish cancer was able to be cured too.

29. taintedsaints2009 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:57 PM

Just awful to hear

30. sportsfan18 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:58 PM

Aw man… so young…

Prayers to your family and to you sir.

Thank you for entertaining us on the field.

31. shackdelrio says: Aug 19, 2014 9:58 PM

Terrible news. I wish him and his family the best.

32. shaggyjeff says: Aug 19, 2014 10:00 PM

Prayers for Tim Shaw

33. afty2001 says: Aug 19, 2014 10:08 PM

My father suffered from this horrific disease. Served 20 years in the Army, retired at the age of 40. Got a great job as a math teacher then boom! The pain of watching someone suffer and get worse everyday is awful.

I say this with a heavy heart that it is a giant relief that this disease is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

My prayers go out to Tim Shaw and his family.

34. partmachine says: Aug 19, 2014 10:08 PM

I pray that you stay strong.

Auto-immune diseases like ALS, MS, etc. should be curable. It’s time.

35. drez146 says: Aug 19, 2014 10:11 PM

Let’s beat this horrible disease…fight hard Tim

36. dutchman1350 says: Aug 19, 2014 10:23 PM

Tim you were a heck of a linebacker, representing PSU proudly. Underrated!

Prayers are with you.

37. mrtullymars says: Aug 19, 2014 10:26 PM

Damn. I honestly do not know much about Tim Shaw, but this is terrible news.

He seemed upbeat in his video, and I hope he is able to maintain that type of attitude. All the best to Tim Shaw and his family and friends.

38. adriansbabymommainwisco says: Aug 19, 2014 10:31 PM

Just the top of the iceberg watch more of these come out in the next 20 years. This is too bad for football.

39. poorcalvinisstuckonthecrappylions says: Aug 19, 2014 10:31 PM

30 years old!

Stay strong Tim.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

You can beat this!!!

40. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 19, 2014 10:32 PM

Fight it.

Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.

Prayers.

41. buffaloisadumpsterandtheirfansaremorons says: Aug 19, 2014 10:45 PM

Give him a bucket of ice water.

42. buffaloisadumpsterandtheirfansaremorons says: Aug 19, 2014 10:46 PM

Hang in there. If there is a way SCIENCE will find and cure you.

43. magicmtndan says: Aug 19, 2014 11:04 PM

God bless Tim Shaw!

44. orivar says: Aug 19, 2014 11:52 PM

That’s awful. Like cancer, I wish ALS could manifest as a person so it can get the beat down it thoroughly deserves.

45. mooremusicllc says: Aug 20, 2014 12:04 AM

I met Tim when he played for the panthers man this sucks he is such a nice guy.He always came up to my wife and I every training camp and start chatting with us… My church family and I will pray for you Tim and your family.

46. rajbais says: Aug 20, 2014 12:31 AM

My heart goes to Tim Shaw and his family.

May this dreaded disease never take over the lives of the young and those who do not deserve suffrage.

47. sabatimus says: Aug 20, 2014 12:38 AM

Oh damn damn. That’s a challenge no one has overcome yet. I don’t believe in a higher power yet I pray for him.

48. jimmysee says: Aug 20, 2014 1:48 AM

It’s not a fight.

There’s no fighting it.

There’s no victory possible.

Unlike some forms of cancer which can be beaten.

This is very sad news.

:-(

49. granadafan says: Aug 20, 2014 1:52 AM

I challenge Roger Goodell to the Ice Bucket Challenge. Hopefully the ice water will cool off his burning desire for greed and more greed.

50. nyneal says: Aug 20, 2014 1:52 AM

My neighbor has this dreaded disease as well. His wife is a nurse, so she knows fully well what her husband is in for.

It’s a horrible disease and on behalf of all Packer fans, I wish Tim Shaw and his family all the best. Our prayers are with him, for sure.

Tim is now a player on every fans’ team. We will all root for him to beat this dreaded disease.

51. ballsoharduniversity52 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:33 AM

This is heartbreaking. Thoughts and prayers to this man and his family.

52. brownsmakemecrazy says: Aug 20, 2014 3:34 AM

Sad news. Hope someone finds a cure for this horrible disease. Heart goes out to Tim Shaw and his family.

53. crazyfootballfun says: Aug 20, 2014 4:21 AM

Lost my mom to this horrific disease. I am so so sorry for Tim and his family. May they find strength and courage to deal with all that is headed their way.

54. greenandgoldgirl says: Aug 20, 2014 5:15 AM

Prayers from Packer Nation for Mr. Shaw and his family.
    Hoping all the money raised from the bucket challenge does truly help find a cure for this devastating des ease.

55. olcap says: Aug 20, 2014 5:32 AM

Hang in there Tim! Hopefully this new awareness of this awful disease will result in a cure soon.

56. bunjy96 says: Aug 20, 2014 7:04 AM

How can 19 posters have that much hate in them?

It’s sickening!

57. jbloggs13 says: Aug 20, 2014 7:17 AM

According to the NFL, just settle the concussion so we don’t need to admit anything. Just leave everyone in the dark and make sure that all the cases of ALS (in 30 years old – 8 living NFL players), early onset dementia, parkinson’s syndrome, chronic post concussion disorder and all the other illnesses afflicting active and former players are their fault. Bad doctors and crap coaching had nothing to do with it.

The NFL needs to man up and come clean about what they know.

58. swortybounce says: Aug 20, 2014 8:21 AM

May the fight be strong and long.

59. rgtre10 says: Aug 20, 2014 8:56 AM

Terrible disease, however, pundits please don’t try to tie this disease to playing football or taking hits to the head/body, Remember Gehrig played baseball!

60. theroc5156 says: Aug 20, 2014 9:03 AM

You really want to make a difference?? Stop dumping ice on your head and donate money instead!!

61. willkill4caffeine says: Aug 20, 2014 9:25 AM

I dumped ice on my head and made a donation. In a perfect world it wouldn’t be one or the other. Then again, in a perfect world, ALS wouldn’t exist in the first place. Keeping Tim Shaw in my thoughts.

62. cardslifer says: Aug 20, 2014 9:34 AM

Donating money is a great way to help beat the disease. However, donating money isn’t the only way to help the cause.

Raising awareness of the condition is just as important.

63. ncphinsfan says: Aug 20, 2014 9:49 AM

The Ice Bucket thing is pure marketing genius, but in terms of raising revenue it is a flop! Yes, ALS has made millions over the $23k they raised at this time last year, but compared to the amount of social media “hey look at me generation”, they are getting donation from less than 10%. So, in the end raising awareness is simply not enough. It is a waste of limited resources- fresh water and the energy it takes to make or drive to get ice. Seriously, Enough already with the stupid videos. Just Send Money!

64. wikipediasaidso says: Aug 20, 2014 10:12 AM

==========

Per Zachary Stieber of The Epoch Times:

Some people have criticized the challenge because it seems that merely recording a video of getting ice water dumped over a person isn’t really doing anything to support research into ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

But the ALS Association announced that as of Monday, August 18, the organization has received $22.9 million in donations from July 29 to August 19.

The organization received just $1.9 million over the same time period last year.

“Our top priority right now is acknowledging all the gifts made by donors to The ALS Association,” said Barbara Newhouse, President and CEO of The ALS Association, in the announcement

“We want to be the best stewards of this incredible influx of support. To do that, we need to be strategic in our decision making as to how the funds will be spent so that when people look back on this event in ten and twenty years, the Ice Bucket Challenge will be seen as a real game-changer for ALS.”

65. milkcan44 says: Aug 20, 2014 10:25 AM

Hope Tim can get the maximum benefit and enjoyment possible while living with this disease.

66. guachosporlife says: Aug 20, 2014 10:40 AM

I wish the NFL would get rid of the Pink Ribbon and make one color in general to bring awareness TO ALL diseases.

67. dmoney666 says: Aug 20, 2014 12:35 PM

“With enough money and research and dedication, ALS can be cured.”

We simply DON’T know this. I hope you’re right. But to make this statement like it’s fact is ill-informed. How many billions have been thrown at cancer research? We’re not closer to a cure. ALS is even more insidious, as it deal directly with the brain – the ultimate mystery.

Best of luck to Mr. Shaw, from a fellow alum. Be strong!

68. calicowboysfan86 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:15 PM

I lost my grandfather to ALS. I did the ice bucket challenge AND donated to the ALS Foundation. Why are people assuming no one donates and only pours ice water on their heads? Raising awareness never hurts either way…

69. cybersqueak says: Aug 20, 2014 3:09 PM