Troy Polamalu glad to be back, in his normal position

Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu AP

With rookie Ryan Shazier on the scene and playing so well, Troy Polamalu might not have to play as much linebacker this year.

But he’s just glad to be back on the field in any capacity now.

The 33-year-old was held out of all live contact in training camp, and didn’t play the preseason opener. After playing every snap last year, he needed that kind of break, but is ready to go now.

Of course, I appreciate it,” Polamalu said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “God willing, I prepared for that, for sure. I feel good. I’m not going to tell you a lie and be like ‘I’m in the greatest shape of my life.’ In truth, I’m in the best shape that I can be in right now, in my 12th year. Time will tell whether that’s relevant this year.”

His playing linebacker on passing downs was out of necessity a year ago, but he thinks getting back to his natural position full-time will also help him.

“It depends, you know, because my role has changed so much through the years. So, it really all depends on how coach LeBeau wants to use me. It’s evolved, its changed, it’s kind of done everything.”

Polamalu said he had a dream that the Steelers were out of cornerbacks, and he had to play there. That might not be a dream of LeBeau’s, but his willingness to do whatever, and do it well, speaks to his longevity and success.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Troy Polamalu glad to be back, in his normal position”
  1. dmretrogames says: Aug 19, 2014 8:38 AM

One of the good guys in the league.

2. clashpoint says: Aug 19, 2014 8:44 AM

It’s not just Shazier being the difference, I think a healthy Sean Spence makes up for a lot as well. Throw in Lawrence Timmons and last year’s rookie surprise, the hard hitting Vince Williams, and the Steelers have a legit amount of depth at inside linebacker.

Furthermore, at linebacker in general, there’s the addition of Arthur Moats and the maturing of Jason Worilds. Plus Jarvis Jones looks very improved, Terrence Garvin has played very well after making the team last year as an undrafted rookie, and a couple of rookies this year in Howard Jones and Vic So’oto, and the Steelers look to have significant young depth in their linebacker corps.

As usual, I spit on the opinions of trolls. I think the Steelers are reloaded and feast to rock some worlds this year. I like what they’ve done and the direction they’re going. This is going to be a good year for the Pittsburgh Steelers, trolls be damned.

GO STEELERSX

3. bengalskuta82 says: Aug 19, 2014 8:52 AM

I like Troy

4. steelerfanjo says: Aug 19, 2014 8:54 AM

The best player and best person in the NFL. Instead of promoting, Manziel, Ray Lewis, and the crying Harbaugh brothers… The NFL should promote 43.

5. jerrykill4pres says: Aug 19, 2014 9:00 AM

With his lovely locks, he could play anywhere!

Polamalu should always get the best hair award! Hands down!

But clearly one of the good guys in the league.

6. shayeezy says: Aug 19, 2014 9:03 AM

not even close to a steelers fan, but it’s hard not to root for this guy.

7. chalkruz1989 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:15 AM

He’s a phenomenal talent that has always gone under the radar with his team first mentality.

Definitely a first ballot Hall of Famer in my book…I know my book isn’t that important ;)

8. holeinone09 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:21 AM

Troy is one of the most intelligent, thoughtful and humble players in the NFL. He had a very good year last year, remaining healthy. Sure, he is getting close to the end of his career, but Pittsburgh fans have been blessed to have watched this future Hall of Famer play.

9. realitycheckbaby says: Aug 19, 2014 9:25 AM

Like the rest of the team, too old, too slow, too yesterday.

10. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 19, 2014 9:42 AM

Like the rest of the team, too old, too slow, too yesterday.

0 9
    Report comment. Ah click bait out of the mouths of babes come the disrespectful comments . Only if you had half of Troys class…but you don’t.
    At least he won’t have to pay to get in the HOF, but you will.

11. buzzbeaubank says: Aug 19, 2014 9:57 AM

Here’s to him staying healthy in ’14 and closing out a great career on his terms, whether it’s this year or not. Less another ring, of course.

12. jmblosser82 says: Aug 19, 2014 9:57 AM

realitycheckbaby, before you repeat the same garbage keep in mind, Polamalu, Taylor, Miller, and Roethliesburger are the only starters over 30 on the depth chart, no one else is over 28. This is one of the youngest teams in the league now.

13. valentino8100 says: Aug 19, 2014 10:30 AM

The most physically gifted safety I have seen play ball in the last 30 years, along with an incredible instinct for where to be and when to be there.

14. gayforbrady says: Aug 19, 2014 10:50 AM

I hope Troy plays 5 more years.

Nobody fears this guy any more.

His is great for selling jerseys.

15. guitarkevin says: Aug 19, 2014 10:51 AM

As a Ravens fan I respect Troy. He definitely brings it. I can root for this guy, but only when he doesn’t play us.

16. steelcurtainn says: Aug 19, 2014 11:10 AM

Troys going to have another Pro Bowl year. With him and Shazier roaming, there will be lots more tunrovers produced this year for the steelers.

17. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Aug 19, 2014 11:18 AM

That kind of honesty is refreshing in such a macho sport. He’s been a helluva player for a long time, but the toll he’s taken over the years has to add up.

18. troy43mvp says: Aug 19, 2014 11:20 AM

There are always guys that you wish your team would have drafted. Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders to name a few. I think Troy P. is one of those guys for many fans!

19. stillers213 says: Aug 19, 2014 11:37 AM

I’m hoping being back at his normal safety position helps him to remain healthy. I expect to see more INT’s this season as compared to last as well.

20. aceakking says: Aug 19, 2014 11:39 AM

If Troy Polamalu is back, why isn’t Bill Leavy back?

21. clashpoint says: Aug 19, 2014 11:47 AM

Many commenters are perhaps unaware that Troy not only played every game last year, he was one of only 11 players in the league to play 100% of his team’s defensive snaps last year, which probably contributed to him making the pro bowl. He most assuredly played as hard and physically as he could, every play, of every game, as he always has. Troy Polamalu is not fragile.

Maybe he isn’t as good as he was at his peak, but he’s still very, very good as a player on the field – and by all accounts, an even better man off of it. I’d bet most of his teammates would run through a brick wall for Troy Polamalu. You know what though? So would I, and most Steelers fans too.

22. crownofthehelmet says: Aug 19, 2014 11:47 AM

TP, I hope you play another 12 years. The Black and Gold won’t look the same once you decide to hang em up.

23. hobbeslax says: Aug 19, 2014 12:14 PM

How could you not root for this man?

24. stillers213 says: Aug 19, 2014 12:27 PM

“If Troy Polamalu is back, why isn’t Bill Leavy back?”

Notice how seachicken trolls have gone from lame to annoyingly pathetic since winning the Superbowl.
    Two words: Jeremy Stevens. I remember him talking smack leading up to the game only to choke on the biggest stage. You lost… get over it already. You really do seem pathetic to the rest of us.

25. stillers213 says: Aug 19, 2014 12:29 PM

Very nice and well written comment Clash. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

26. jtbsteeler says: Aug 19, 2014 12:38 PM

Seahawk fans, kiss the ring.

27. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 19, 2014 1:32 PM

Troy Polamalu: The Steelers’ most significant draft pick since Joe Greene.

28. jmblosser82 says: Aug 19, 2014 1:59 PM

It’s hard for anyone to argue that Bob.

29. steelhammer92 says: Aug 19, 2014 2:20 PM

Generational talent. 1st ballot HOFer when he hangs up the cleats.

30. fancyleague says: Aug 19, 2014 2:24 PM

I’ll argue with it. Ben is the most significant draft pick since Joe Greene. Troy has been phenomenal, but Ben is the reason the Steelers have been to three Super Bowls since 2004. A true franchise QB is more valuable than anything else.

31. bobzilla1001 says: Aug 19, 2014 3:01 PM

I’ll match Polamalu’s number of All-Pro selections with anyone’s, especially Roethlisberger’s.
    Roethlisberger came on the scene just in time to reap the benefits of a great defense. Polamalu’s Ds have been ranked at or near the top multiple times. Roethlisberger’s Os, NEVER.
    While Roethlisberger has had his moments, Polamalu has been, or was, the catalyst of the best defenses since the Steel Curtain.
    No quarterback in Steelers history has had the defensive support, in terms of longevity, that Roethlisberger has had in 8 of his 10 seasons.
    That defense is now gone. And Roethlisberger hasn’t gone anywhere without it.
    A true franchise QB carries his team, including an average defense, which the Steelers’ defense has been lately.

32. johnnybgood19 says: Aug 19, 2014 3:31 PM

Very few players can make the claim that they changed the game… not just played the game well… but Troy can make that claim… the position of free safety will be forever altered due to his skills… he is a revolutionary kind of guy…

If you want to start a revolution it would be best to do so on the field…

33. Nofoolnodrool says: Aug 19, 2014 3:38 PM

That defense is now gone. And Roethlisberger hasn’t gone anywhere without it.

After all this time I thought football was a team sport….silly me. Seriously it’s a team sport and stat geeks will tweek everything to make a point. Bet you that Troy looks at his rings and says, boy Am I glad Big Ben didn’t blow it for us…right? It’s a team sport and you need everyone to contribute to win, but it helps if you have a scape goat the purist can whip on every now and then…right Bob?

34. jmblosser82 says: Aug 19, 2014 3:44 PM

The Steelers have a better win % in games Ben has missed then in games Troy has missed. I like Ben’s game but I like Troy ‘s a whole lot more.

35. steelcurtainn says: Aug 19, 2014 4:11 PM

The reason the steelers have been to 3 superbowls is because the steelers were great as a team.( not just defense). A TEAM! The steelers needed both Troy Polamalu and Big Ben to make them 3 superbowls. I would love to see these guys solidify at least one more superbowl win before they ride off into canton. Troys in, another superbowl win by Big Ben and there won’t be any debating whether he should make the HOF. It will be a done deal.