Mike Ditka wants anti-Redskins liberals to get off his lawn

Ditka Getty Images

Mike Ditka is the crusty old coot of the football world, the grandpa you love even as he says things that make you cringe. So now that Ditka has waded into the controversy over the Washington NFL team’s name, it’s tempting to ignore him, just as you try to ignore the old neighbor who talks your ear off about how everything was better back in his day, when men were men and Herbert Hoover was president.

Still, the 74-year-old Ditka’s recent comments about the Redskins name have received enough attention that they probably merit a response. Ditka talked to a totally unbiased website called RedskinsHistorian.com, and he made it clear that he’s angry about this newfangled effort to change the name of the team in Washington.

“What’s all the stink over the Redskin name?” Ditka said. “It’s so much horse s–t it’s incredible. We’re going to let the liberals of the world run this world.”

Ditka has never made any secret of his dislike of liberals. Ditka briefly considered running against Barack Obama in the 2004 U.S. Senate race in Illinois, and he has said declining to do that is his greatest regret in life, because he believes he could have prevented Obama from becoming president. But if Ditka thinks only liberals oppose the use of a racial slur as the name of an NFL team, he’s sorely mistaken. John McCain, who unlike Ditka really did run against Obama, has said the Redskins should probably change their name. Charles Krauthammer, the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the Washington Post who is among the most conservative voices in the American media, has written that the team should change its name. Tom Cole, a Republican who is one of only two Native Americans in Congress, wrote to Commissioner Roger Goodell that, “The NFL can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur.”

Whether opponents of the team name are liberal or conservative, Ditka believes they’re wrong. Just as Daniel Snyder has, Ditka insists that the team’s name is meant as a sign of respect.

“It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian,” Ditka said.

Ditka appeals to tradition in support of his beliefs.

“It’s been the name of the team since the beginning of football. It has nothing to do with something that happened lately, or something that somebody dreamed up. This was the name, period. I mean, leave it alone,” Ditka said.

Ditka is wrong that “Redskins” has been the team’s name since the beginning of football. It’s actually been the team name only since 1933. It’s also true that the owner who gave them the Redskins name, George Preston Marshall, was a vicious racist who refused to sign black players until 1962, when the federal government told him his team wouldn’t be permitted to play in Washington, D.C., anymore if he didn’t agree to integrate. Times change.

Snyder won’t change, however, and Ditka believes that Snyder deserves respect for his stubborn stance against changing his team’s name.

“I admire him for it,” Ditka said. “Really, I think it’s tradition, it’s history, it’s part of the National Football League. It was about Sammy Baugh and all the guys who were Redskins way back then. I didn’t think that Lombardi and Halas never had a problem with it, why would all these other idiots have a problem with the name? I’m sorry. I’m not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything.”

It may be true that Vince Lombardi and George Halas had no problem with the name “Redskins” when they were involved in the NFL, many decades ago. It is also utterly irrelevant to the question of whether “Redskins” is an appropriate name for a team in 2014.

There’s a lot to respect about Ditka, a Hall of Fame tight end turned Super Bowl-winning coach who has been a great ambassador for the game of football. But Ditka also talks a lot about that which he knows nothing. This is one of those times.

Permalink 200 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
200 Responses to “Mike Ditka wants anti-Redskins liberals to get off his lawn”
  1. Scott Hutton says: Aug 20, 2014 1:17 PM

AMEN

2. dickshotdogs says: Aug 20, 2014 1:17 PM

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
    And I am Mohawk Indian, and a Patriots fan.

3. daysend564 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:17 PM

He’s right

4. 1pwrightt says: Aug 20, 2014 1:19 PM

Some people love to live in the stone ages.

5. floratiotime says: Aug 20, 2014 1:19 PM

I don’t get all this Obama stuff. How is life any different from when Bush was President? These people are crazy.

6. Andrew says: Aug 20, 2014 1:21 PM

This may be the best article I’ve ever seen on this site

7. mvp43 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:22 PM

Agree 100% !!!!!!!!

8. jamaltimore says: Aug 20, 2014 1:22 PM

Patriots? to me and many others this seems to be disparaging to non-tea party members. As a liberal progressive I find this offense.

Nonsense.

9. Straight Cash Homie says: Aug 20, 2014 1:22 PM

Even more respect for him now. Lost some of it during his time with the Saints. but then you go and do something like this… and totally redeem yourself!

10. darrenjamesmorgan says: Aug 20, 2014 1:22 PM

Ditka is a caricature. As the article points out, this issue isn’t divided strictly on liberal-conservative lines. The bottom line is that the name is an offensive racial slur, and no matter why it has not been changed before now, it cannot be permitted to continue to exist if the NFL wants to retain credibility among thinking people.

11. REDSKINSFOREVER says: Aug 20, 2014 1:23 PM

DITKA IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do find it interesting when Whoopi Goldberg makes a comment about changing the name there was no debating, or questioning. And if I remember correctly there was a string of “famous” people that said the name needed changing and that was a strong standing point for those who oppose the name.

Its interesting that now when a very very famous sports figure stands in favor of the name his opinion is swept aside as ” he knows nothing about”

Stand Strong Snyder!!! Never Change!!!

12. p8riotdynastylives says: Aug 20, 2014 1:23 PM

This Pats fan agrees……..dont bend Mr. Snyder…

13. 5to46hawkfan says: Aug 20, 2014 1:23 PM

I’m 1/4 Cherokee too!!! Love the Redskins name!!

14. Straight Cash Homie says: Aug 20, 2014 1:26 PM

Floratiotime life has changed greatly in the past 6 years. I can present a list of things that would fill up this whole page but being this is a sports site and not a political site its best to not even say anything at all.

15. calicowboysfan86 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:26 PM

THANK YOU! Gotta love Ditka!

16. sdsmooth says: Aug 20, 2014 1:26 PM

Explain to me again why this is an issue today and it wasn’t an issue 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago?

17. scoops1 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:28 PM

The name ain’t changing…..

get over it

18. marty2020 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:28 PM

To be fair, some liberals want the Redskins to keep their name.

19. blacknole08 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:29 PM

I agree with him.

Real fans get it. The term is being used, and has always been used, to describe a football team. Only those that oppose the name equate it with the derogatory usage of the term, which has been outdated for a long time.

NFL and politicians alike have other bigger things to worry about. This is not one of them.

20. bucrightoff says: Aug 20, 2014 1:29 PM

The name will change when Snyder suffers in the pocketbook. Money always talks. Until then he’ll never change it, but the second it starts costing him money they’ll be the Washington Something Else’s quickly.

21. aa1829 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:30 PM

Maybe Ditka should be mindful of how history will see him. Was he on the right side, or the wrong side? If he is on the wrong side, and I think we all know how this is going to end, this arguably controversial guy will be more easily vilified. So far, he receives grudging respect with a dash of humor thrown in for some of the more outlandish things he does and says. History may not give him a pass so easily. But I’m a Packer fan, which actually means I may give him more respect than some.

22. stillers213 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:30 PM

Much respect to Ditka for not falling into the PC, walk on eggshells world where everyone’s feelings are so easily hurt. Oh, but wait, you hurt my feelings! Amereica is turning into a country full of hyper-sensitive wimps.

23. brmorgen82 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:30 PM

So because Ditka is 74 we can discount everything he says? Typical liberal attitude, thinking you know better than those old people. Old people know MORE than young people, not less. I am 32, not that it matters.

24. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:31 PM

He’s absolutely correct.

25. rugdaniels says: Aug 20, 2014 1:31 PM

Dikta is like an older relative. One who you dislike, dread having to see, never want to hear from, hasn’t been relevant in a decade, can’t make a coherent point, brings nothing to the table, won’t go away, annoys you, makes you change the channel, sort of gives you the creeps, and lives permanently in the past. You know, one of those.

26. pillowporkers says: Aug 20, 2014 1:32 PM

Not to mention, it’s not just your political background. The fact the word used to be not racist, but no some have decided it is, is a “liberal” idea. Not all democrats want the name changed. In fact, most don’t. Unless 83% of America is Republican

27. kwgator says: Aug 20, 2014 1:33 PM

DA REDSKINS!!!!!!

28. dmuehlhausen says: Aug 20, 2014 1:34 PM

What about the Native Americans that like the name? There NA schools out there that use the same name. They must truly hate themselves if they use a racist word for their team name.

This is more about people knowing that they can whine and complain and get there way in todays world than it is a name.

As they talked about on Mike and Mike. Where do you draw the line? They forced the change of the Fightning Sioux in North Dakota. What’s next an annoyed Irishman not liking Fighting Irish?

What about the lady from Arizona or New Mexico (can’t remember which) that plans to protest the Chiefs when they come to Arizona?

The Chiefs name actually has a direct link back to the Mayor of KC who was nicknamed The Chief. The adoption of the stadium name came after.

This whole world believes everything is their soapbox and they think everybody should want to hear their thoughts.

It’s getting to a point where it’s becoming unbearable.

29. poorcalvinisstuckonthecrappylions says: Aug 20, 2014 1:34 PM

All the Native American team names throughout sports in America were created to honor and show respect for people that were here before us. None were created as a joke or in disrespect and that is a clear fact. People have nothing better to do with their lives and take advantage in an ever declining American society.

I grew up involved in Indian Guides (Similar to Boy Scouts) I learned about Native American culture and adopted a Native American name and participated in many events concerning their culture. There is no way anyone could look me in the eye and tell me that they’re truly offended by such a petty thing such as a name of a sports team that’s intention was to honor that culture. Ditka is 100% right this is so absurd, people need to get bent…

30. delhommed says: Aug 20, 2014 1:34 PM

REDSKINS!

31. doe22us says: Aug 20, 2014 1:34 PM

Agree, with him on sticking with the name, but as with many short-sighted arguments in my Dave Chapelle voice “dont let the liberal media tell you … lol, I guess blame it on the liberals anytime you get.

32. trebor64 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:36 PM

With all the problems this country has this can’t possibly be all our congressman have to do. Tired of hearing about this and Johnny Football.

33. war71 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:37 PM

Because of the über sensitivity of the US other teams that need to change their names due to that fact someone may be offended: Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers, Vikings, Saints, Buccaneers, and 49ers.

34. shyts7 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:37 PM

Ditka shares the same view that is held by a majority of people, including Native Americans. There was a guest on Colin Cowherd or Mike and Mike that traveled throughout the country including different reservations and asked those different reservations what they thought about the name. The majority of the response was that it didn’t bother them. They were more worried about more pressing issues such as health care, poverty, education, etc.

If you look at most of the people complaining, they, for the most part, fit into the white liberal demographic. If Native Americans don’t really care, why should anyone else? Plus when is the last time anyone has heard a Native American called a Redskin in a derogatory manner?

35. rockymtnphinfan says: Aug 20, 2014 1:37 PM

Stick to your guns Mr. Snyder.
    Being a Dolphins fan i assume one day the whiners and the complainers will want to change “The Dolphins” to the “Mammals of the Sea” because someone doesn’t think the Dolphins like to be called Dolphins.

36. buddysguys says: Aug 20, 2014 1:37 PM

im 3/16ths Algonquin and i LOVE IT.

37. polarbear71 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:38 PM

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me….except in America.

38. veence69 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:40 PM

“I’m 1/8 Cherokee and I don’t find the name offensive!”

*FACEPALM*

39. haraldsigurdson says: Aug 20, 2014 1:40 PM

Ditka is like Joe Paterno.

40. shyts7 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:41 PM

Add in the fact that if I’m an athiest can I complain about the Saints name and their religious overtones? Sounds like a stretch but they would have a legitimate gripe if Washington is forced to change the name.

41. izlez says: Aug 20, 2014 1:42 PM

I just find it amusing that guys like Ditka and Snyder fight so hard against this to fight for “tradition” and sticking it to the other side instead of simply changing the name which is such a simple thing and reap the benefits of the millions and millions in revenues from people buying new merchandise

42. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Aug 20, 2014 1:42 PM

Deal with it, Mike. *sunglasses*

43. packerbackernj says: Aug 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Lombardi would probably want the name changed, or atleast see the logic for having the name changed, beings that he was discriminated against as a youth for being italian.

44. cannonballdookie says: Aug 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Good for him, the liberal agenda is controlling America and he better not feel the need to apologize for his words.

45. jimmysee says: Aug 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Another country heard from!

46. greenlantern75 says: Aug 20, 2014 1:45 PM

And BTW….That would have been epic for Ditka to run for any major political office. This brief interview with a friendly outlet alone shows the comic gold that would have been mined if he was in a serious political race…Daily Show and Colbert Report would be stocked for weeks, months, years!

47. kingpel says: Aug 20, 2014 1:51 PM

Mike Ditka is a GREAT American. Go REDSKINS!

48. morgusthemagnificent says: Aug 20, 2014 1:51 PM

When I was young and falling in love with the nfl I can vividly remember getting Hutch uniforms every Christmas from Santa. By 9 or 10 yrs old, I collected 20 some odd uniforms. I remember admiring the colors and logos of each uniform and helmet.

My admiration turned into curiosity and I would read about the uniforms history and ask my dad a lot about each uniform.

A lot of my early knowledge about native Americans came from those conversations with dad and the other reading I did. As my knowledge of the history of the uniforms grew, so did my admiration and respect for them. I learned about the Vikings of Norway / the native Americans / Paul brown / the patriots etc

I am sorry for the kids who won’t have that same opportunity because a small group of people claim to be offended by otherwise innocuous words.

49. geauxsaintsforever says: Aug 20, 2014 1:58 PM

Stay strong Dan – don’t cave in to the PC police!

-Signed, a Saints fan

50. midbloom says: Aug 20, 2014 1:59 PM

the one thing most old people are most afraid of:
    CHANGE.

51. raider8er says: Aug 20, 2014 2:00 PM

I wonder if Ditka talks to an empty chair thinking it’s the president.

52. barbasol11111111 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:01 PM

my ancestors all came to america after the indians got put on reservations, so I’m all for it!

im also not offended so therefore I am entitled to believe that others should also not be offended

finally, im complaining about conservatives complaining about liberals complaining

53. packfanaj12 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:02 PM

A Nationally Associated team has a racial slur against their own country’s Natives and it is totally unacceptable. IDK why it’s so hard for people to understand or see that. Nothing else needs to be discussed.

54. willjasper says: Aug 20, 2014 2:02 PM

An old man trying to regain relevance from his glory days almost thirty years ago. Sad.

55. buffaloisadumpsterandtheirfansaremorons says: Aug 20, 2014 2:02 PM

america, home of the crybabies.

56. 106reasons says: Aug 20, 2014 2:03 PM

My grandfather was a Redskins fan. The Redskins are one of the few things my father and I have in common. The Redskins are the only subject we can discuss with some levity in the middle of his current fight with cancer. The Redskins are incredibly important, as crazy as it may sound, to the fabric of my family — my seven uncles, my cousins, and all our families all bleed Burgandy and Gold.

Losing the Redskins to an entirely fictional narrative that ignores history and injects racism into a term that was never racist is going to hurt. Like it or not, there is an entire nation of fans that have a great deal of emotional connection to the team name, logo, and proud history.

And yeah, it seems a little irrational that a football team should mean so much to a bunch of people. But when have humans ever been accused of being rational in our passions?

57. marko959 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:03 PM

I’m looking forward to the next “controversy” the media can gin up. What name will be the next to be changed? Chiefs, Vikings (marauding warriors who raped and pillaged), Raiders, Buccaneers, Saints, Titans (offensive to small people). Oh, the possibilities are endless.

But my bet on the next target is in baseball. First the Cleveland Indians and their mascot, then the Atlanta Braves.

58. surfinbird1 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:04 PM

Didn’t I see him in Jurassic Park.

59. raiderufan says: Aug 20, 2014 2:06 PM

I really wish people would act with a bit more intelligence and quit trying to make this a Liberals v Conservatives issue. It’s not. It only devalues your point. Why is it we need defined sides for this to be a debate?

Signed,

A person you’d define as “Liberal” that is vehemently against changing the name

60. seatownballers says: Aug 20, 2014 2:07 PM

I am a liberal, and i say keep the name

61. grumpyoleman says: Aug 20, 2014 2:08 PM

Most people agree with Mike

62. charger383 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:10 PM

Senator Mike Ditka would have been great

63. electricboogalo says: Aug 20, 2014 2:13 PM

Ha! The secret liberal agenda to control the country has been discovered. Now they’ll have to discuss other options at their next secret meeting in Hollywood.

64. RegisHawk says: Aug 20, 2014 2:14 PM

Ditka is giving us the benefit of his years growing up in segregated America.

65. pizzaeater201 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:15 PM

Hurricane Ditka!

66. bmoreb says: Aug 20, 2014 2:15 PM

I’m 50% indian (giver) and have no problem with this

67. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 20, 2014 2:16 PM

This article is very politicized in any event, and it’s really not even appropriate to publish if comments are rejected just because the author doesn’t approve of other peoples’ politics.

Stick to the football topics and stay away from political debates if you don’t want to participate in them.

68. nvl004 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Alright you give us all your land, we’ll give you casinos and make a football team change their name. Deal?

69. bcajun says: Aug 20, 2014 2:17 PM

How bout we rid our country of obama and liberals…theyre existance OFFENDS ME

70. i thumbs down your comment says: Aug 20, 2014 2:17 PM

I’m 100% American and I love the name

71. packsoldier says: Aug 20, 2014 2:18 PM

Conservatives and liberals do NOT agree on this. How many Republicans signed off on Dingy Harry Reid’s fatuous statement condemning the Redskins?

Political correctness comes from the Stalinist left. Own it.

72. travishenryskid says: Aug 20, 2014 2:20 PM

I don’t care if they change their name or not, but obviously it really matters to some people that they do change it. Why would anyone stand in their way?

73. atthemurph says: Aug 20, 2014 2:20 PM

The argument over the name has nothing to do with it being an offense but has everything to do with control and power.

74. wellthatsinteresting says: Aug 20, 2014 2:20 PM

That’s it…I’ve had enough of this too…Snyder, just change the name to ” ‘edskins”…keep the logo…and no one will bother you again.

75. pete2112 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:21 PM

I love Ditka and what he means to the city of Chicago, but he’s from another generation and I would say he’s a bit out of touch if he’s going blame this entirely on liberals and even Obama.

76. ninerlivinsd says: Aug 20, 2014 2:21 PM

That’s right Ditka, you tell em! It’s a shame that people start tuning you out and not respecting your decision making when you give up a whole draft class for one player.

#RickyHotBoxwithhelmetvisoron

77. gbpb4life says: Aug 20, 2014 2:26 PM

Help me out here, Washington Wizards used to be know as the Bullets, does any one remember why they changed their name?

I do believe that the name Redskins is extremely offensive even if at one time it was considered acceptable by society. Get with the times.

78. RegisHawk says: Aug 20, 2014 2:26 PM

The original owner (George Preston Marshall) was a bona-fide racist, and that is the vein in which he named the team. Ditka knows not whereof he speaks.

79. mediasloppy says: Aug 20, 2014 2:26 PM

Ditka would fit right into Congress on both sides. Complain, do nothing and lastly blame Obama for every single thing in front of him. yawn…

80. jacktheraven says: Aug 20, 2014 2:27 PM

The same people offended by the Redskins are the same people that would freak out over Johnny Football’s middle finger not being blurred out on TV.

81. hrmlss says: Aug 20, 2014 2:28 PM

Maybe they can change the name to the Washington Drunken Aboriginals.

82. packerenglishmajor says: Aug 20, 2014 2:29 PM

A slightly different take:
    I thought maybe the name might be tied to Jim Thorpe in some way.
    Famous Native American who played pro ball.
    Nope!
    The name is tied to the ballpark they played in (in Boston).
    Originally they were called the Braves and switched names when they switched parks (to the Redsox park – Redskins).

So there’s that.

83. jayovalentine says: Aug 20, 2014 2:30 PM

#FACT : Most Native Americans vote democrat and most do not take offense to the Redskins name or logo.

84. sounddacharge17 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:31 PM

“It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin”

I believe they are right. My popwarner team was called the Redskins…Its in reference to the Native American warrior tradition, their tan skin augmented by their Red War paint and fierce fighting style.

what sports team would name themselves in reference to a racist derogatory term? use your heads people…

85. rugermini14 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:32 PM

Keep the name and stand your ground, just like the Native Americans did throughout the white man’s settlement of the West and I’ll be a fan of The Washington Redskins FOREVER!

86. GettingNoRespect says: Aug 20, 2014 2:32 PM

Does it have the be the original owner, or can we condemn the Clippers as a forever racist organization too?

87. cutthajokes says: Aug 20, 2014 2:33 PM

I have 50% Cherokee and 50% Sioux Indian blood. I’m not offended by the name Redskins. Matter of fact, I hope the Washington Redskins name is never changed!

88. fissels says: Aug 20, 2014 2:33 PM

Good job Mike. We need more people like you willing to stand up and be heard!

89. sdnative1904 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:34 PM

Redskins is a racial slur nobody actually uses.

90. weepingjebus says: Aug 20, 2014 2:36 PM

Anyone who has actually been to a game at FedEx knows that the majority of Redskins fans are minorities. If you want to tell them they’re all racist, go right ahead.

91. eagles512 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:36 PM

My new favorite coach/analyst.

92. ranoversquarells says: Aug 20, 2014 2:37 PM

Irish comments need no apply

93. ranoversquarells says: Aug 20, 2014 2:38 PM

Irish comments need not apply

94. kaspauf says: Aug 20, 2014 2:40 PM

We just need the regular season! The polls all show that the people offended by this is greatly surpassed by those who are not. I get the Indian’s mascot being it was a cartoon that can be interpreted poorly or so but the Redskins mascot looks depicts it as a strong leader…. I am sick of hearing about this becoming such a huge issue compared to many other things that carry much more weight (concussions and fill in the blank).

95. bonnovi says: Aug 20, 2014 2:40 PM

I’ve said it before on other issues and I’m going to say it again: It’s a complicated issue with a complex history behind it and you can’t make a simple one-line judgement on it either way.

96. araidersfan says: Aug 20, 2014 2:40 PM

I guess that this means that there’s no chance that Mike Ditka and Amanda Blackhorse will hang out over beers.

97. mrlaloosh says: Aug 20, 2014 2:44 PM

Ditka was the greatest coach in the history of the New Orleans Saints. Just ask him…

98. kaspauf says: Aug 20, 2014 2:44 PM

Not that Snyder is going to change the name but if he were too, do you think if the majority of Redskins fan’s saying they wont show up anymore affect the decision? Hit them in the wallet and they will go back on that stance but good for Snyder for not changing the name of the team.

99. irishlad19 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:49 PM

Ditka has spent years proving publicly that he took too many head shots in his playing days–opinionated about everything, usually wrong, and in love with the sound of his own voice.

100. GenXJay says: Aug 20, 2014 2:49 PM

I applaud Ditka.
    Unbelievably, Political Correctness liberal police are implementing their agenda.
    & now Perry is taking heat.

101. irishlad19 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:51 PM

As soon as they start losing sponsorship and advertising dollars they will change the name; Snyder understands money.

102. youcantmakemepickausername says: Aug 20, 2014 2:52 PM

1/39th Choctaw guy checking in, and I don’t have a problem with the name.

103. packfanaj12 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:56 PM

Football > Politics …. GAME ON

104. worldbefree78 says: Aug 20, 2014 2:59 PM

Just like everyone else, Mike Ditka is giving his opinion on this topic. Just because the author does not agree with Ditka’s opinion is no reason to infer (as he does in the last two sentences) that Ditka has no knowledge on this issue. Seems a bit intolerant, doesn’t it?

105. beyondclarity says: Aug 20, 2014 3:06 PM

This whole argument is funny to me. If we have learned anything about today’s society, only one thing matters here…outrage enough to cause sponsors to leave. Once that happens, the name will change in 5 mins.

106. Guy Ledouche says: Aug 20, 2014 3:07 PM

Thanks a lot Obama.

107. catquick says: Aug 20, 2014 3:07 PM

My grandfather never said anything that made me cringe

108. johnnybgood19 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:09 PM

Once Snyder sees how much money is involved in changing the teams name… new promotional material, new sells of jerseys and other collectables…. he will be looking to change the name every other year… soon the giants will be the newyorkers and the 49ers will be the 50ers and so on…..

as long as its for the good of the game err the owners pocketbook… aint that the same thing???

109. Bull Rush says: Aug 20, 2014 3:13 PM

“Times change.” That says it all.

Things that were acceptable 10, 20, 30 or 80 years ago when the team was named are not today. Likewise things that were not acceptable in the past are now accepted in society. Just need to recognize it is part of change, enjoy the things that are now acceptable, and move on.

110. dalcow4 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:13 PM

Government bailout of the Washington Redskins coming to a taxpayer near you.

111. tjr324 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:14 PM

Ditka was actually misquoted. He said “Proudskins” not “Brownskins”

112. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 20, 2014 3:18 PM

I can’t believe the time people have available to concern themselves with this name thing.
    Most of whom don’t have a dog in the fight.
    Get over yourselves….
    “But I’m concerned about social issues…. and drive a hybrid…”
    Please. Go away…

113. cletusspucklerredskinsfan says: Aug 20, 2014 3:24 PM

leave us and our name alone we is just simple fans and wanna be left alone in our world we dont care if we offend anybody

114. jpterp007 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:32 PM

People’s heads are being chopped off around the world, but the some folks are more concerned about the name of a mascot…what ever happened to “sticks and stones”. People need to toughen up and realize what’s really important.

115. dalcow4 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:32 PM

Ditka should have read the article on Taki– “How to Deal With the Brainwashed, Jim Goad”
    google to read

116. isphet71 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Basically zero Conservatives and only a small subset of Liberals are pushing for Washington to change their name.

There are plenty of intelligent, moderate Liberals out there that unfortunately get painted with one big broad brush in the exact same way intelligent, moderate Conservatives get painted when Fox News says something stupid.

Ditka is officially 100% old/charming/curmudgeonly now. He went all Gran Torino and stuff. I think what he’s saying is funny.

117. settheraytojerry2001 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:34 PM

I think Dan Snyder should lay out in the sun for a day, get a real nice sunburn, take a picture of his profile and put it on the helmut that way no one could complain about the name ‘Redskins’

118. jcthree3303 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:36 PM

Agree with him or don’t agree with him but if you think this is the last your going to hear about this your all sadly mistaken. Now I don’t know if Mike cares cause I’m sure he’s got enough money to not have to work anymore but he works for ESPN, which of course is owned by Disney a very family oriented company that recently suspended Dan Lebatard for putting a billboard in Cleveland for saying thank you to Lebron. He’s going to be suspended and again I’m not sure he gives a rip. We’ll see soon enough.

119. notthetroll says: Aug 20, 2014 3:37 PM

Signed,

A person you’d define as “Liberal” that is vehemently against changing the name
    ================================
    People do confuse with Liberalism and Progressivism. This is more progressive than liberal, as historically, Liberals were about freedom of speech and press (while those modern incantations are questionable) and progressives are about a narrative and use the press to suppress other points of view. Progressivism has always been about changing people to fit their world view, suppressing free expression and are the ones to shout down dissenters.
    Redskins forever, but I want them to lose most games, besides the ones where Phi and NYG have better records.

120. rawbbqsauce says: Aug 20, 2014 3:40 PM

I would just like to say that I am 20/49ths Mohican and I am indifferent to the team name.

121. revelation123 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:45 PM

It’s not necessarily liberals; mainly just people who choose to get offended easily.

122. rajbais says: Aug 20, 2014 3:46 PM

How about stop calling Native Americans “Indians.” They were never born in or originated from Mumbai.

123. belichickluvsu says: Aug 20, 2014 3:55 PM

Thanks for saying what not many people do not have the sack to say Ditka! I agree with ya, let it be.

124. rbirving says: Aug 20, 2014 4:08 PM

Damn liberals, they sure have screwed up this country, haven’t they? Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Madison… all those liberals that ruined this country.

125. mrneto72 says: Aug 20, 2014 4:11 PM

Stand Strong Mr Snider and your legacy will live forever. ..keep the REDSKINS name ..from a RAIDERS fan

126. stigman2012 says: Aug 20, 2014 4:16 PM

I am 40% Cherokee, 30% Sioux, 25% European and 20% middle eastern and I am 55.5% offended!

127. PacificNWMark says: Aug 20, 2014 4:22 PM

Ultimately, ‘political correctness’ is about empathy and courtesy (unfortunately two attributes that don’t usually come to mind when one thinks of Mike Ditka).

The point is not whether Ditka believes the name came “out of reverance” to American Indians or not. The point is whether he has the ability to understand that it may be deeply offensive to other people.

128. bigpinkee says: Aug 20, 2014 4:23 PM

if I were snider I would change the name to the Washington GINGERS

129. bgu42 says: Aug 20, 2014 4:26 PM

Love it!! It was turned into Lib v. Conservative argument because guess who are the most “offended”???

130. icebowler says: Aug 20, 2014 4:26 PM

Liberals do all of the complaining? That Ditka’s a funny guy. Must have never watched a “Fox” programing.

131. packerenglishmajor says: Aug 20, 2014 4:27 PM

Could Ditka defend the Cleveland logo/mascot?
    Would you?

132. cletusspucklerredskinsfan says: Aug 20, 2014 4:32 PM

we skins fans are oldschool and like things the way they was back in the ol days

133. i, flounder says: Aug 20, 2014 4:42 PM

i don’t get how not being a racist, and having empathy for people has anything to do with a goofy political party.

134. greymares says: Aug 20, 2014 4:43 PM

Sounds just like my own uncle Mike just before they placed him in the funny farm.

135. lskar2013 says: Aug 20, 2014 4:44 PM

I agree with Coach Ditka. If all it takes is someone to say that they are offended by your name so you are forced to change it where do you stop. Should Dick VanDyke change his name, what about Peter Lawford………Its rediculous.

Anyway, I have a solution. Washington only needs to go back to their original name, the “Braves” and they won’t have to change anything else. Keep same logo, colors and everything that goes with it.

136. natelan says: Aug 20, 2014 4:46 PM

Every time a senile, old, white man stands-up for the Redskins name, it strengthens the opposition’s case.

Your side has no diversity. You are the majority class trying to impose your bigoted beliefs on the rest of the world.

As a YOUNG, white male myself (with Cherokee blood mixed in), allow me to inform Mike Ditka that in a few years, when he dies of senility and old age, he can rest in peace, knowing that the Redskins name WILL be changed.

137. uglydingo says: Aug 20, 2014 4:46 PM

Daniel Snyder – Mike Ditka could make a great team together. Maybe at 74, Mike is too old to be Coach, but he could be Dan’s consigliere, especially on embracing the Redskins proud native American culture. Hail to the Redskins.

138. mrone50 says: Aug 20, 2014 4:47 PM

Tony Dungy spoke his mind too…. hmmm

139. 4sacroc says: Aug 20, 2014 4:48 PM

Never liked the team, but I am supporting their right to be called REDSKINS.

The myth the minority in the PC crowd want you all to believe is that MILLIONS of Americans are outraged by the name.

The truth is only the minority PC crowd is offended. But they want everyone to go along with THEIR intolerant view.

140. thelastpieceofcheese says: Aug 20, 2014 4:50 PM

Let’s eliminate the Panthers from Carolina. It’s offensive to us white folk because it keeps the memory of militant Blacks from the 60’s alive.

141. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 20, 2014 4:53 PM

make no mistake… today’s libs are the true enemy of America

Hail to the Redskins! To hell with the Libs!

and LOL at the libby thinking Libs are more intelligent… probably not even close… Libs are either overeducated unemployed or undereducated unemployed (and by employed I mean real jobs outside academia and/or the public sector)

142. tombstone7 says: Aug 20, 2014 4:59 PM

The best way to resolve this matter is to donate $10M to a casino for the Native Americans……case closed!

143. worldsgreatest says: Aug 20, 2014 5:05 PM

Change the name.

Signed,

A Decades Long Redskins Fan

144. edenprairieballer says: Aug 20, 2014 5:24 PM

Thank you Ditka!! Spot on. And judging by the comments and likes, it seems most people agree with him.

145. essentialsausage says: Aug 20, 2014 5:29 PM

Just remember, this is the guy who traded all of his draft picks for Ricky Williams.

146. dcstinks says: Aug 20, 2014 5:32 PM

Change the Name!
    Im a Native American and African American.

147. warhammer420 says: Aug 20, 2014 5:37 PM

An old man is angry and fears change. News at 11.

148. kevpft says: Aug 20, 2014 5:44 PM

I respect his position in the sense that, for all of its flaws, this is part of his personal tradition. This is part of the fabric of his life, his career, his work. So he really feels that this is something of his own that is being attacked & devalued. I highly doubt that anyone in the Redskins organization ever meant any harm with the name, and indeed took a lot of pride in it.

At the same time, times change. I think we can acknowledge that this is going to change, it’s just where things are and where they’re going, and we’ll all be better off for it. We should be able to move on without demonizing the past and all the personal pride people have felt for this team. They’re not bad guys. We just have to change for the future.

149. Commenting off the bench. . . says: Aug 20, 2014 5:54 PM

Don’t change the name. I am a native American.

150. Commenting off the bench. . . says: Aug 20, 2014 5:55 PM

Don’t change the name. I am a native American.

151. fballguy says: Aug 20, 2014 6:05 PM

I always liked Mike Ditka.

152. aceakking says: Aug 20, 2014 6:18 PM

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I don’t think anyone should be like Bill Leavy and call false penalties in SB40.

153. msmith954 says: Aug 20, 2014 6:21 PM

Let’s change the name of the Bears to the “Polacks”, then.

154. davetrembley says: Aug 20, 2014 6:29 PM

I think it’s disgusting what Ditka thinks.

155. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 20, 2014 6:34 PM

Sorry MDS, I didn’t mean for my previous message to come across as rude if it did, but when it comes down to politics or larger social issues that are far above and beyond the game of football, I tend to get quite passionate. :)

The people on here can argue with me and laugh at me all they want about football ideas, that’s fine, but once we start talking politics and the President, then there’s too many lives at stake and I’m always going to fight for the people that don’t have the representation that they deserve.

156. Bearfan54 says: Aug 20, 2014 6:40 PM

I could be wrong but I doubt Snyder’s pocketbook will suffer. Longtime Redskins fans are used to the name. Only idiots that are bored who probably don’t even buy jerseys are complaining. And if they are fans I would bet it’s still a very small amount.
    If the name does change, you’ll see a bunch of other names demanding to be changed.

157. 1standinches says: Aug 20, 2014 6:42 PM

Troy Aikman,Mike Ditka and Dan Snyder deserve a round of applause, way to stick up against the Liberals. Hail to the Redskins and Hail to the football fans everywhere for supporting the Redskins.

158. wartface says: Aug 20, 2014 6:43 PM

My grandfather was 100% Cherokee Indian, my Dad, 50% and I’m 25% and we all say the name is fine… And like Mr Ditka, hate what the progressive liberals have done and are doing to our country.

159. Bearfan54 says: Aug 20, 2014 6:44 PM

Tell me how The name Washington Redskins is offensive. Write your answer down then read what you write then slap yourself for me.

160. 1mommicked1 says: Aug 20, 2014 6:54 PM

If the Cherokee, Tuscarora, Creek, Sioux, Apache etc object to the use of the word “redskins” then their feelings on the matter are pertinent. If those same nations (not sure what terminology to use) see no offense in the use of the r-word, then the name should stay the way it is now. I can not name one sports team or any other kind of organization, all NFL teams included, that has ever chosen a mascot or symbol or trademark for their team name that is to ridicule or offend. It’s usually to honor or to represent some admirable quality about your team. Same with washington’s team’s name. P.S. If your name is “washington” your feelings on this matter are pertinent also.

161. xlichamps says: Aug 20, 2014 6:56 PM

Hail Ditka!

162. blabidibla says: Aug 20, 2014 7:13 PM

Another old coot out of touch with today’s game and today’s world.

163. smitty113 says: Aug 20, 2014 7:26 PM

In other news sedentary people everywhere are suing the Oakland Athletics over their name.

164. tigerlilac says: Aug 20, 2014 7:28 PM

Jerry Smith, tightend, Redskins

Receptions 421
    Receiving yards 5,496
    Touchdowns 60

Mike Ditka, tightend, Cowboys, Eagles, Bears
    Receptions 427
    Receiving yards 5,812
    Touchdowns 43

Why is Ditka in the HOF and Smith isn’t? Smith was gay and Ditka’s a conservative blowhard.

165. notmrknowitall says: Aug 20, 2014 7:51 PM

Change it to my fantasy team name….the Washington sucky diktats

166. dldavidlong says: Aug 20, 2014 9:55 PM

it’s hello, not how you’s redskins. speak American for christ’s sake. liberals are fun to laugh at.

167. ocdn says: Aug 20, 2014 9:59 PM

The ones to ultimately decide this issue is the American Indians, not the blow hole Ditka.

168. mitchem85 says: Aug 20, 2014 10:22 PM

Ditka is right

169. mickton says: Aug 20, 2014 11:16 PM

Chipmunk McCain should just be put out to pasture to never to be heard from again

170. defscottyb says: Aug 21, 2014 4:27 AM

#HTTR #NONAMECHANGE #redskinspride #NativePride #HTTRCherokee This from a part Cherokee man, Dan… don’t cave in to the wackos.

171. nervesplicer says: Aug 21, 2014 10:08 AM

Insanely great commentary from a great journalist. Obviously at the top of his game. A great advocate for free speech.

172. vikingferd says: Aug 21, 2014 10:53 AM

Ditka’s time has passed too. I mute the volume everytime he speaks on ESPN. He slurs his speech, his points are incoherent, and he really gives no cognitive insights from a football perspective. Let’s remember, this is the guy that traded the Saints entire draft to get Ricky Williams. That should have been an indication that he had the early stages of dementia. They should find a nice park bench for this guy, give him a bag of bread crumbs, and leave him there.

173. superjay3282 says: Aug 21, 2014 1:09 PM

Racist Idiot….lets change it to Washington Crackers or Rednecks…..I’d be fine with that!!!

174. gofor2with3pointlead says: Aug 21, 2014 1:31 PM

What America is turning into is a bunch of morons who can’t see past the nose on their own face. All the tough guy talk about political correctness, isn’t worth the air it took to make such foolish statements. If you haven’t been able to figure it out up until this point, that’s on you. Fact, the term is used to describe a particular race of people. Fact, some of the people that term describes find it offensive, singling them out solely on the basis of race/the color of their skin. Fact, if you take some manner of perverse pleasure in using a term that others find offensive, which describes a majority of people who support the status quo, you have bigger issues on a personal character level than you are willing to admit, not to mention the latent racial discrimination that it demonstrates.

175. deepsthboy says: Aug 21, 2014 1:35 PM

Not sure I share Ditka’s sentiments 100%, but he’s right that progressive liberals seem to be on some sort of rampage. After having watched the nonsensical ramblings of Gov. Jay Nixon, calling for the “vigorous prosecution” of Darren Wilson.

Huh? is there no longer such a thing as due process? Nixon is an idiot, and is emblematic of what Ditka is referring to in his general remarks about the “cause” of getting rid of the Redskins name. As long as we have people like Nixon in positions of power in this country, we should all fear for the loss of our constitutional rights.

176. wnstonchill says: Aug 21, 2014 1:47 PM

This country has become a society of people who would rather worry about others business, rather than looking at their own issues. Like Ditka or not, he’s a wise old sage who thinks personal responsibility is a big deal. Common sense has been replaced by “political correctness”. Keep shredding the foundation’s of the country, such as the liberals would like, and we’re seeing first hand the fallout as a result.

177. GettingNoRespect says: Aug 21, 2014 3:19 PM

gofor2with3pinhead
    Fact, a large majority of Native Americans still support the Washington Redskins team and name as does the Red Mesa High School Redskins (over 90% Native American population)

I prefer to listen to them, rather than force my opinion down their throats. We did that in the past and that didn’t help them at all.

178. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 21, 2014 4:32 PM

We should all want Libs off our lawns! They are like one of those stubborn weeds that you pull out but keeps returning and creating brown spots around it.

Hail to the Redskins!

179. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 21, 2014 4:33 PM

The libs premise that Native Americans have a problem with the name is a lie…. well over 90% of Native Americans have no such problem, and a majority view the name Redskins as positive.

180. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 21, 2014 4:35 PM

how absurd someone of the dubious ilk of the OP to attempt to denigrate the opinion of someone of accomplishment…. this should offend us all

Hail to the Redskins!

181. edenprairieballer says: Aug 21, 2014 4:45 PM

@natelan

I too am a young white man with cherokee blood in me. I don’t think the name should EVER change. If you think the fight against absurd political correctness will die with Ditka’s generation think again…

182. tigerlilac says: Aug 21, 2014 9:27 PM

The tough guy, Ditka, fumbled 9 times in his career. Jerry Smith, the gay guy, fumbled just 5 times.

183. ceehawkfan says: Aug 22, 2014 2:05 AM

As a member of the 12TH MAN…much luv DITKA!!! And to the fans of the WASHINGTON REDSKINS…that’s right REDSKINS, hope you keep your name and you guys have my support!

184. metalman5150 says: Aug 22, 2014 11:53 AM

Thank you, Ditka!!
    Hail to the Redskins!!!

185. conservative36 says: Aug 23, 2014 11:23 AM

Shouldn’t we stop calling white people white and black people black if referring to skin color is racist and worse than Hitler? “Whites” is no different from “Whiteskins”. I’m not all outraged like your hero liberal sports writer is about Redskins. If a team wants to go with the name Whiteskins, I won’t be protesting in the street about how it is racist. lol

186. conservative36 says: Aug 23, 2014 12:05 PM

Michael David Smith can dish it out but he can’t take it.

187. conservative36 says: Aug 23, 2014 12:15 PM

Old people,

This is how you liberals view you. Nothing but crusty old coots who need to die already, your opinion means nothing.

188. conservative36 says: Aug 23, 2014 12:33 PM

Age discrimination and bigotry is a serious thing and needs to be punished for what it is.

189. conservative36 says: Aug 23, 2014 12:35 PM

John McCain and Krauthammer don’t represent majority opinion on this issue and McCain isn’t a conservative and Krauthammer is former liberal Democrat. Nobody elected either one of them to speak on this issue for all of us.

190. conservative36 says: Aug 23, 2014 12:36 PM

Michael David Smith looks crusty to me. He can’t blame it on age either. lol

191. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 23, 2014 10:52 PM

the 3 name guy is a florio clone.. i.e. a useless hack and utter fool with no redeeming value

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!
    Run or pass and score — we want a lot more!
    Beat ‘em, Swamp ‘em,
    Touchdown! — Let the points soar!
    Fight on, fight on ‘Til you have won
    Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
    Hail to the Redskins!
    Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!

192. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 23, 2014 10:54 PM

so why can the libby craphead writing this article falsely slander a guy like Ditka.. and then delete truths from posters?

typical Lib coward w/o belief in American freedoms

193. 1deadinside says: Aug 24, 2014 11:49 AM

Loved his game back in the day,forgave him somewhat for not giving Walter Peyton the chance to score in the Super Bowl but I have lost all respect for this Palin-supporting dinosaur who probably thinks he can still whip any Indian in the UASSA.

194. randomjoeblow says: Aug 24, 2014 5:56 PM

It’s funny that anytime this subject comes up, every single commenter is part Native American..

195. toykofilthblasterlovespftpoet says: Aug 24, 2014 7:59 PM

After all these years why NOW has the name become a problem?

Why hasn’t there been an uproar over the Cleveland Indians or Chicago Blackhawks?

196. steelersnowand4ever says: Aug 25, 2014 9:05 AM

_________________________________
    Could you imagine “Iron Mike” in the Oval Office? He would be the second coming of Harry Truman!

197. lunarpie says: Aug 26, 2014 11:36 PM

Politics needs to be kept OUT of the NFL!

Ditka’a message tells why.

198. jimothytinkler says: Aug 27, 2014 1:08 AM

Sounds like someone’s been listening to talk radio. Going to go up in a ball of flames just like Charleton Heston.

199. rukkus1 says: Aug 27, 2014 3:08 AM

GO HAWKS!

&

GO REDSKINS!

200. bayouranch says: Aug 27, 2014 3:50 PM

It is much to do about nothing, I have to agree with Ditka here.