Tim Shaw on ALS diagnosis: “The hardest thing I’ve ever had to hear

Tim Shaw, Collin Mooney AP

The sight of ice bucket challenges has become common across NFL training camps, but in Tennessee, it had a little more meaning Wednesday.

Former Titans linebacker Tim Shaw was there for it, a day after announcing he had been diagnosed with ALS in April.

“I would never say I am not afraid of anything,” Shaw said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean. “If you look at what ALS has done to people, that is a scary process. So I am not scared to die, but the process is a little daunting.”

The 30-year-old Shaw was visibly emotional while describing the process, as he said he could tell he was losing athletic ability and his muscles were twitching long before the diagnosis, which he called: “the hardest thing I’ve ever had to hear.”

“Every thought runs through your mind, but as a man you have a choice,” Shaw said. “What are you going to do? Are you going to stand up and fight for your life? Or are you going to accept what someone else tells you is reality and just fade away? As staggering as that news was and as shocking as it was to hear and to say, I made that choice to stand up and live life to the fullest like I believe I always have.”

Along with former Saints safety Steve Gleason, that’s the kind of face ALS needs, to inspire others to fight one of the most despicable diseases known to man.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Tim Shaw on ALS diagnosis: “The hardest thing I’ve ever had to hear”
  1. belichickluvsu says: Aug 20, 2014 3:52 PM

Fight it Tim!

2. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 20, 2014 3:56 PM

Wow….. I want to go do an Ice Bucket Challenge right now…

3. simonator917 says: Aug 20, 2014 3:59 PM

If the Titans copy the Texans and sell t-shirts with the proceeds going to ALS research I’ll buy one. Thumbs up if you’ll also participate.

4. i thumbs down your comment says: Aug 20, 2014 4:09 PM

This is a very scary disease. I cannot imagine the fear that this young man is experiencing.

5. radiofriendly420 says: Aug 20, 2014 4:11 PM

D. Manning – Tim Shaw was your friend in high school.

If you are reading this, I’m sorry to hear. This is terrible news.

Also, you are the hottest chick I ever had. Thanks for all the good times. Hope all is well.

Regards,
    Fellow Lions lover for life

PS – Good luck Tim Shaw. Keep donating and dropping ice buckets. Let’s find a cure!

6. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 20, 2014 4:11 PM

You’re a good man Tim Shaw!

We need more people like you who aren’t afraid to fight back against the bad things in this world, thank you for your service.

7. goodolebaghead says: Aug 20, 2014 4:12 PM

No White Flags! Never give up, Tim!

8. buffaloisadumpsterandtheirfansaremorons says: Aug 20, 2014 4:20 PM

Hang in there buddy! SCIENCE will cure you and millions of others. Stay strong.

9. aceakking says: Aug 20, 2014 4:23 PM

I will pray for you Tim.

10. kingpel says: Aug 20, 2014 4:32 PM

Stay strong, Tim!

11. florida colts fan says: Aug 20, 2014 4:42 PM

Another sad, but also inspiring story. Tim you’re on my Prayer list and I Pray that you can STAY STRONG in this battle. Best to you MAN.

12. Bridgeh2O4ROY says: Aug 20, 2014 4:44 PM

Shaw shank redemption! Prayers brother!!!

13. ripwarrior says: Aug 20, 2014 4:45 PM

I watched my grandfather die of ALS. Absolutely a brutal disease.

14. broncostevenp says: Aug 20, 2014 4:57 PM

I donated to ALS yesterday. Such a sad disease. All this coverage by the media on Ebola, and nothing ever on ALS.

15. pastorfootball says: Aug 20, 2014 5:27 PM

Like many others, I have seen firsthand what this disease does to someone. Tim, I just said a prayer for you. You are loved by your family and friends. May that knowledge sustain you through the most difficult days.

16. drunkraider says: Aug 20, 2014 5:46 PM

Sad news another stupid disease. and the really sad part is like cancer there will never be a cure, because there is no profit in cures.

best of luck Tim, never give up.

17. camdenyard says: Aug 20, 2014 6:53 PM

I hope he reaches out to OJ Brigance of the Ravens. More likely, OJ will reach out to him. Class guy.

18. bigguy54 says: Aug 20, 2014 7:19 PM

My Wife’s grandfather died from this awful disease, it was hard to see such a strong man go like that. He was a union ironworker for most of his life. Back in the day before OSHA and all the rules they have now. I knew him later today in life, but he was still a hard worker. I find the feelings all come back when I hear about others getting it. Like someone said earlier, there probably will never be a cure., because there is no profit in that. Hopefully the NFL jumps on the bandwagon and gives some of their ridiculous profits to ALS.

19. purpleguy says: Aug 20, 2014 7:38 PM

I cannot fathom how absolutely devastating that news must be, and I can’t believe how well these guys like Shaw handle it. You can’t say enough prayers or dump enough buckets of ice water for these folks.

20. JSpicoli says: Aug 20, 2014 7:51 PM

Worst disease there is. Many thoughts and prayers go to Mr. Shaw.

21. howiehandles says: Aug 20, 2014 9:37 PM

“Also, you are the hottest chick I ever had. ”

You’re an idiot.

Hang in there Tim Shaw.

22. taintedsaints2009 says: Aug 20, 2014 10:04 PM

So so so awful to hear.

23. titansfan12 says: Aug 20, 2014 10:23 PM

Tim Shaw a very respectable guy. Its awesome to see him still have his faith in God too. Aside from football, he is a role model. He said that he is going to Brazil on a mission trip in September to help dig a well for a village. ALS needs more people like him to help be a face to spread awareness. If you don’t know him, just watch the interview on the Titans website and you can see how strong and respectable he is. I did the ice bucket challenge and donated. You’re also in my prayers. Stay strong Tim!

24. adriansbabymommainwisco says: Aug 20, 2014 11:19 PM

Best of luck my man. Side note I’m starting to doubt steroid usage by Lyle Alzado was not the primary cause of his death.

25. jasonluckydog17 says: Aug 21, 2014 12:00 AM

The brain is very sensitive and when it gets hit many times the affects can trigger all sorts of diseases….

Please protect your head.

26. crazyfootballfun says: Aug 21, 2014 1:42 AM

Lost my mom to AlS and wouldn’t wish this on anyone ever. Absolutely devastating disease. Not sure what kind of a moron gives a thumbs down on these words of encouragement to Tim….

Prayers for Tim, his family and all who love him and anybody else who has to deal with this devastating disease.

27. chris1cat says: Aug 21, 2014 8:04 AM

I would love to meet the losers face to face who put a thumbs down on any of this and turn his or her thumb right side up and shove it you know where! Jeeez really?

This man and many others are going to go through an unspeakable hell. They need the support, prayers, advice, and love of people whether they know that person or not. This is what it means to be a human being!

Much love to Tim and his family and all that give a “THUMBS UP”