Jason Garrett: DeVonte Holloman advised to end career after neck injury

DeVonte Holloman AP

One of the Cowboys’ young defensive players has reportedly received some unfortunate news.

Second-year linebacker DeVonte Holloman has been advised by doctors to give up football due to a neck injury, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Thursday, according to Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Holloman injured his neck in the Cowboys’ Saturday exhibition vs. Baltimore. Moreover, he suffered a spinal contusion last season.

The 23-year-old Holloman appeared in nine games (two starts) for Dallas in 2013, recording 26 tackles and two sacks. A South Carolina product, Holloman was a sixth-round pick of the Cowboys in 2013.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Jason Garrett: DeVonte Holloman advised to end career after neck injury”
  1. dirtydrynn27 says: Aug 21, 2014 12:06 PM

At this rate Dallas won’t have anybody to play defense!!!!

2. shatho1 says: Aug 21, 2014 12:11 PM

hate to hear unfortunate news like this. stay strong Holloman your health is more important.

3. dccowboy says: Aug 21, 2014 12:19 PM

Sad news. My heart goes out to him. I wish him a long an healthy life.

4. succulentnipples says: Aug 21, 2014 12:21 PM

Johnathon Football.

5. dalfanforever says: Aug 21, 2014 12:22 PM

Living life is more important than football. Get well and live well young man!

6. dallasdominates says: Aug 21, 2014 12:22 PM

Coming from a Clemson Tiger who was someone who rooted against you in college at South Carolina, and was soooo excited to see you join my side of the ball in Dallas, this is a sad sad day for me but especially for you I’m sure. I hope you continue to stay with the team in some form or capacity, because you were really coming into your own. My prayers are with you my friend. Keep your head up son, I am proud to say that I had a chance to see such a stand up guy like you play up close and in person.

7. brgndyngold says: Aug 21, 2014 12:24 PM

We all want these young men to be productive and stay healthy so they can play this sport for as long as possible. So its sad to see them face these types of situations.

This, coming from a Redskins fan.

Good luck DeVonte

8. gofor2with3pointlead says: Aug 21, 2014 12:27 PM

While I am no particular fan of the Cowboy’s. That defies the laws of physics, it sucks and blows at the same time.

9. cueghost says: Aug 21, 2014 12:28 PM

Thoughts and prayers are with Holloman – hate to see anyone have their dream career snatched away like this… looking at you, too, D. Wilson.

10. eagleswin says: Aug 21, 2014 12:38 PM

Good luck to the kid but the Cowboys may want to look for an ancient Indian burial ground underneath their stadium. The way this is going the offensive players may have to play iron man football and play defense as well.

11. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 21, 2014 1:05 PM

Hate it for Holloman who has shown promise as a NFL linebacker. Walk away from the game and don’t take the risk.

12. herecomethebirds13 says: Aug 21, 2014 1:08 PM

even as an eagles fan….you hate to hear things like this….thats ashame for him and his family.

13. stunzeed5 says: Aug 21, 2014 1:11 PM

Sad news indeed…..best of luck and health in your future young man.

#HTTR

14. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 21, 2014 1:19 PM

Sorry to hear that Cowboys fans. Sad for the player but at least he had an NFL paycheck for a year to get his life started out well. Hopefully he was wise with his money.

And he clearly has a workers comp claim that will net him further funds. He’ll get an injury settlement that can set him up for a long time.

15. ravens533 says: Aug 21, 2014 1:20 PM

Not a Cowboys fan by any means but I never like hearing about a player being severely injured in this game we all love. Best wishes to you DeVonte Holloman. May you flourish in whatever endeavors you pursue. Just don’t make one of them playing football. Leave football with your head up. You played the game well and should be proud to have played and smart enough to know when to stop.

16. danind says: Aug 21, 2014 1:20 PM

that sucks for him, he actually showed some promise too.

17. selliott504 says: Aug 21, 2014 2:07 PM

Tough break for a promising young player. Hopefully, another opportunity will present itself, DeVonte.
    There is always a demand for men of character.

18. 88xfactor says: Aug 21, 2014 2:47 PM

God bless you my brother. Life and family are definitely more important than football. Enjoyed watching you play. You’re a pro bowler in my book. Take care.

THEMBOYS4LIFE

19. kerzelljr says: Aug 21, 2014 6:18 PM

Really does must suck for Devonte. But you must realize that your health is the most important thing, Everything else is secondary.

He had a decent career and I wish him nothing but the best!

20. oldcracker says: Aug 22, 2014 2:37 AM

Browns fan here, and I hate hearing news like this. Maybe he can go back to school, get an advance degree, and someday run a team.

Good luck, Kid!