Justin Britt looks set to win Seahawks starting right tackle job

San Diego Chargers v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

The Seattle Seahawks hoped Justin Britt would develop into their starting right tackle when they selected him in the second round of the draft out of the University of Missouri in May.

Turns out he may ascend to the starting role even earlier than anticipated.

Britt appears set to win the job over veteran tackle Eric Winston to replace departed starter Breno Giacomini. After an up and down preseason debut against the Denver Broncos, Britt fared much better against the San Diego Chargers last week. Seattle’s coaching staff has been pleased with Britt’s progress throughout the preseason and signs are pointing toward him starting the season opener against the Green Bay Packers on Sept. 4.

“His progress has been really solid,” head coach Pete Carroll said Thursday. “He’s making great strides to be a legitimate starter. I’ve said before it’s all in his makeup that really kind of substantiates that he’s able to do this and handle this so it’s gone great so far”

The right tackle job has been one of few truly open competitions for starting roles on the Seahawks this offseason.

Britt was initially expected to be in competition for the job with second-year player Michael Bowie.

Bowie stated eight games as a rookie for Seattle with seven starts coming at right tackle. However, Bowie showed up to training camp 20 pounds overweight, according to Carroll. He then suffered a shoulder injury that would require surgery and was waived/injured by Seattle before being claimed by the Cleveland Browns.

Once Bowie injured his shoulder, the Seahawks signed Winston to a one-year deal to compete with Britt for the job. Up until this point, Britt has predominantly worked with the first-team offense for the entirety of training camp. If he’s able to put together another strong performance against the Chicago Bears on Friday night, the starting job will certainly be his for the taking.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
27 Responses to “Justin Britt looks set to win Seahawks starting right tackle job”
  1. jshawaii22 says: Aug 21, 2014 11:51 PM

After how bad the OLine has played the last couple of years, it ‘s not hard to become a starter. Even if the Big Russian was still on the team, Britt would probably of taken the job away.

Now, if the OLine comes around, and Harvin stays healthy, watch out. It won’t matter if the “D” gives up more points, the Offense will be far better this year. Wilson wants to be the MVP and the SB Champ. I wouldn’t bet against him.

js

2. ceehawkfan says: Aug 22, 2014 12:04 AM

Next man up…hope he can help solidify our O-Line, that’s our weakness. I think we’ll be better this season though. GO HAWKS!

3. ancienthawkfan says: Aug 22, 2014 12:05 AM

In Britt we trust. Let’s hope our five starting OL men play every game this season. That would be a great accomplishment.

4. trollhammer20 says: Aug 22, 2014 12:06 AM

As shown in the past (Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner), this team is not afraid to put a rookie into a starting role right off the bat and let him learn and grow while doing the job.

Starting five look to be Britt, Sweezy, Unger, Carpenter, and Okung. Hopefully the line will have better continuity than last year, when up to three starters were injured at a time.

5. cribbage12 says: Aug 22, 2014 12:11 AM

Pack will take down Seattle in game one handily. Bank on it.

6. cribbage12 says: Aug 22, 2014 12:17 AM

Remember Giacomini was a Packers cast-off then went on to start for Seattle. Peppers, Jones and company have a field day against the new right tackle and Seattle is lucky to rush for 60 yards. Pack wins game one handily.

7. seatownballers says: Aug 22, 2014 12:29 AM

This team is better than last years. Can’t deny the hell schedule tho

8. pacificnw7722 says: Aug 22, 2014 12:34 AM

He’s tough. He’s smart. He’s diligent. He is a Seahawk!

#GOHAWKS!!

9. billybone says: Aug 22, 2014 1:15 AM

Tom Cable started JR Sweezy at guard two years ago when Sweezy was a rookie. Mind you that Sweezy was a 7th round pick who was actually a defensive lineman in college. If Cable can turn a 7th round defensive lineman into a respectable offensive guard than there should be no concern of Britt being capable as a 2nd rounder who played the same position in college to hold the right side of Seattle’s line.

IMO Oakland should have given Cable at least one more year as HC. Shoot, at least he had them at 8-8 and on the upswing.

10. olyniner says: Aug 22, 2014 1:38 AM

I love it! Britt is a Huge Kaepernick fan! Now it’s obvious why was drafted by a coach that loves signing 49ers.

11. howthenfcwestwaswon says: Aug 22, 2014 2:17 AM

Kid looks good……..tough to step into a role like this………but that’s why PC & JS do their homework.

12. omeimontis says: Aug 22, 2014 2:33 AM

Is he that good or is Eric Winston really bad? After all, the Cardinals just cut Winston even though he played for them last season.

13. hawkstradamus says: Aug 22, 2014 6:05 AM

Best front office in the nfl.

14. hdavid55 says: Aug 22, 2014 8:24 AM

This week will say a lot…he has worked hard through camp and seems to be a smart young guy…he may be one of the most important draft picks this year.

15. atthemurph says: Aug 22, 2014 8:33 AM

Just wait until week one when Clay Matthews make him look like a turnstile.

16. tap79 says: Aug 22, 2014 9:05 AM

Ehhh…. I am still not 100% sold on Britt. I am excited to see his play tonight against the bears.

To me it seems he needs to be a little meaner and have a little more swag. I know he is just a rookie but when he has the chance he needs to throw the D line on their butts if he cant herd them.

He has looked pretty good but I am hoping he becomes excellent. Only time will tell and I wish him to the best luck and if anyone can get him into shape it will be Carrol and the gang.

17. kcflake says: Aug 22, 2014 9:15 AM

A Mizzou Boy Starting for the Super Bowl Champs. NICE!

18. tonys2lucky54 says: Aug 22, 2014 9:21 AM

Better hope that o-line gets it together or that little Sammy Davis Jr look a-like isn’t going to finish the season this time.

19. nosleeptilsb says: Aug 22, 2014 10:01 AM

Keep squawking about our o-line, our defense alone can beat 80% of the league on its own.

20. thebirdofprey2 says: Aug 22, 2014 11:15 AM

I focused a bunch on Britt in the Chargers game and he had some plays where he showed his athleticism and got to the 2nd level run blocking. Other plays Ingram ran over him and Wilson’s mobility avoided the sack.

I think now that Okung is back Bailey showed be thrown in the RT mix. Like my fellow Seahawk fan I am not sold on Britt right now because he looks very undersized still. Oh Packer fans, your team was 8-7-1 with a below average defense that has been getting bullied by the 49ers for two years running. Seattle is coming off a Super Bowl win and destroys even the most physical teams at Century Link. Lets hope Capers figured out the read option because this game isn’t looking like much of a contest.

21. alankelly2013 says: Aug 22, 2014 11:32 AM

I’m not sure that a guy that 6’5″ and 325 lbs can be undersized at anything.

22. nowillrepeat says: Aug 22, 2014 1:31 PM

Go 12th Man, go Aggies!

23. palatypus says: Aug 22, 2014 2:11 PM

atthemurph says:
    Aug 22, 2014 8:33 AM
    Just wait until week one when Clay Matthews make him look like a turnstile.

******

Justin Britt had a 45-0 record as a High School wrestler. One of the reasons Tom Cable singled him out, while many thought drafting him in the 2nd round was a reach, is because of his demeanor.

I predict that they will get into a fight.

24. thebirdofprey2 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:26 PM

alankelly2013 says: Aug 22, 2014 11:32 AM

I’m not sure that a guy that 6’5″ and 325 lbs can be undersized at anything.

—————————-

I understand that’s what he is listed as but when I first saw him I thought he was a TE. I watched Hard Knocks and thought Jake Mathews looks undersized and felt confirmation when JJ Watt talking to his coach Smith called him “your little Right Tackle”

25. Vim says: Aug 22, 2014 4:21 PM

It is amazing what this team and its leadership are able to do with rookies. Even just a few years ago it would have been unthinkable to have a 2nd rounder start on the OL for any NFL team. And yet we have this guy Britt being positioned to be a starter on Day 1!

Wow! Go Hawks!

26. alankelly2013 says: Aug 22, 2014 4:36 PM

I don’t think any rookie offensive linemen can be quite the turnstyle that Carpenter and Moffit were in their first few games. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a QB get hit as hard and as often as Tarvaris Jackson was in those early games in that 2010 season. I’ve always thought that was why they let Matt Hasselbeck go and brought him in here as a human sacrifice. Matt might have been killed or at the least ended up in traction.

27. palatypus says: Aug 22, 2014 5:01 PM

thebirdofprey2 says:
    Aug 22, 2014 3:26 PM
    alankelly2013 says: Aug 22, 2014 11:32 AM

I’m not sure that a guy that 6’5″ and 325 lbs can be undersized at anything.

—————————-

****************

The same J.J. Watt that got his nose broken and bloodied by Seattle in a comeback, overtime win.