Report: Steelers want to sign Cortez Allen to new contract

Cortez Allen AP

The Steelers are reportedly efforting to sign one of their starting defensive backs to a contract extension.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the team wants to sign cornerback Cortez Allen to a new deal.

The 25-year-old Allen is in the final year of his contract. He has appeared in 44 games in three seasons with Pittsburgh, notching 121 tackles, defending 23 passes and recording four interceptions.

As a general rule, the Steelers don’t negotiate contracts during the regular season, so if Allen and Pittsburgh are to finalize a deal this year, it will have to be soon. Earlier this week, the club signed offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert to a five-year, $30 million contract.

The Steelers have long had a knack for signing their core players before they hit unrestricted free agency. Allen, who’s entering his prime, could draw quite a bit of interest next offseason, given his age and the demand for his position. But it appears Pittsburgh is working to strike a deal now.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Report: Steelers want to sign Cortez Allen to new contract”
  1. stillers213 says: Aug 21, 2014 5:20 PM

IMO, he was the Steelers best corner last season. You need to lock this guy up right away or our CB situation will be in the toilet next season for sure.

2. pftisfulloftrolls says: Aug 21, 2014 5:22 PM

Do the Steelers have the cap space for that?

3. heathn09 says: Aug 21, 2014 5:23 PM

Hope they can get him reasonably n

4. ashleyschafferbmw says: Aug 21, 2014 5:24 PM

Should have done this with Keenan Lewis before! Can’t afford to let another CB slip away.

5. tedmurph says: Aug 21, 2014 5:25 PM

This would be a smart move for the steelers, even though Allen has been inconsistant. They can probably even make a deal w/o much of a cap hit this yr, and avoid letting him walk like KLewis. Still think he would be dumb for Allen to do it. CB market is going thru the roof and he could roll the dice on a breakout yr.

6. mdd913 says: Aug 21, 2014 5:37 PM

Keenan Lewis was going to walk anyway, he wanted to play for the Saints and nothing was going to change that. I wouldn’t compare the two situations.

7. wvucolumbus says: Aug 21, 2014 5:50 PM

In the words of Myron Cope, “mmmmm aaaaa”. He’s “okel dokel” but that’s about it. I certainly wouldn’t break the bank for Cortez the Killer.

8. The Steelers bribed Bill Leavy in SB40 says: Aug 21, 2014 5:51 PM

Cortez Allen may not deserve a new contract.

9. 6ball says: Aug 21, 2014 5:52 PM

A 25 year old CB with experience is the type of player that teams overpay in free agency. If he’s even adequate, he’ll hit the jackpot.

10. dryzzt23 says: Aug 21, 2014 5:52 PM

Don’t pay him like he’s a #1 CB, he is a #2 or #3 at best but the Steelers haven’t had a decent CB since Rod Woodson so the Steelers are desperate.

11. steelers4385 says: Aug 21, 2014 6:04 PM

Cortez is beast. I dont know why everyone is hating.

12. whodat5150 says: Aug 21, 2014 6:09 PM

Kudos to the Steelers, that’s how you do it! I sure wish my Saints would get out in front of some of the contracts of our players instead of always negotiating under the franchise tag, i.e., Brees, Evans and Graham. If we would have renegotiated Brees after 2008 or 2009, we could have avoided the huge cap hit from his contract. I blame Mickey Loomis, not Brees bc he played through his entire under valued contract without complaining. We might not have lost Carl Nicks if we would have approached him after year three, to re-do his contract.

13. “I impacted the game and as an official you never want to do that," Bill Leavy said in reference to Super Bowl XL. "It left me with a lot of sleepless nights and I think about it constantly. I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.” says: Aug 21, 2014 6:32 PM

The Steelers need younger players.

14. ariani1985 says: Aug 21, 2014 6:40 PM

I hate bill leavy more every day!

15. tebowbrokesteelers says: Aug 21, 2014 7:00 PM

Since being tebowed out of the playoffs the steelers have o playoff wins and o playoff appearances

16. jtbsteeler says: Aug 21, 2014 7:42 PM

The Steelers have obviously affected your everyday lives by crushing you in some way.

I’m pleased

17. The Steelers are Marching and the world cowers. The three rivers were made on your tears, and we build boats. We build lots of boats. We walk beside pristine trophy cases and engraved gold. They say it's lonely at the top, but we sure like the view. says: Aug 21, 2014 7:53 PM

Another excellent potential move. Is it us or can we do no wrong right now (other than those two knuckleheads)? Extremely proud.

18. jimmy2times says: Aug 22, 2014 9:00 AM

I think I’ve just figured it out! It’s the real Tebow staying connected to the NFL the only way he knows how. Just like he played the game: 1 play = 1 post.
    1 post.