Brandon Graham: I may not be a good fit, but I can get to the QB

brandongraham AP

Brandon Graham was the Eagles’ first-round pick under a different regime in 2010, but he has never looked like the right fit in the 3-4 defense preferred by head coach Chip Kelly and defensive coordinator Bill Davis. Graham understands that, but he also understands this: There’s always room on an NFL roster for a guy who can get to the quarterback.

So Graham, who got his second sack of the preseason on Thursday night, feels confident that he’ll play and play well for the Eagles this season. And if the Eagles cut him, Graham thinks he’ll play well for someone else.

It’s just a tricky situation,” Graham said, via CSNPhilly.com. “Hopefully, I’m here. If not, hopefully I can show somebody else that I can definitely get the job done, and that’s all I’m trying to do. I know I’m not the ideal size and I don’t play as good in space as I would like. I’m getting better at it, but it’s just one of those things where I know I can go get that quarterback, and I know I can play the run good. It’s just in space, I’m trying to get a lot better at that.”

Graham said he hopes the Eagles’ coaches will keep him on the roster because he believes the Eagles are ready for big things this year.

“I come in, practice every day, work hard and I just try to put it on film to show them that I can help this team win,” Graham said. “I’m just trying to secure a spot because I know how great we can be. I know I can get better, and that’s the thing. Man, if I’m here, I know I’m going to get better each week, because my attitude and focus is all about the team. I know we can take it to the next level, and I want to be here to see us win the championship. I want to be a part of it.”

If Graham isn’t a part of it in Philadelphia, he’ll catch on somewhere. Perhaps on a team with a defense that’s a better fit for his skills.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Brandon Graham: I may not be a good fit, but I can get to the QB”
  1. ctiggs says: Aug 22, 2014 3:30 PM

#Nobodyhasitbetter #BrandonshouldhavewenttoTHEOHIOSTATE

2. djshnooks says: Aug 22, 2014 3:31 PM

Buffalo would snatch him up in a hurry!

The fans already want the Bills to try and trade for him…maybe a swap of Graham’s?

TJ Graham for Brandon Graham?

TJ is a fast WR that would fit right into Chip Kelly’s offense…and he’s still quite young.

Brandon could fill in for Bradham during week 1, be a rotational pass-rusher this year…and take Jerry Hughes’ spot in ’15…as it’s rumored he’ll be allowed to walk as a free agent no matter his production.

3. slbasegame257 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:32 PM

Did the Eagles draft him right before Earl Thomas? Oops

4. vikesr4reel says: Aug 22, 2014 3:32 PM

Eagles are a complete joke!!
    Lol

5. revren10 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:32 PM

Should join the patriots

6. ariani1985 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:34 PM

The horrible packer defense? Maybe The PED defense in Seattle?

7. byrneforest says: Aug 22, 2014 3:36 PM

Love the attitude, agree he can get to the qb, also agree he is not an ideal fit for the 3-4. Wish we stayed with the 4-3 so he and Vinny Curry could be on the field more

8. fcrwo01 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:38 PM

Please send him to Tampa.

9. greenbleeder says: Aug 22, 2014 3:39 PM

4reel, vikesr4reel?!?…..4reel?

10. trytobnimble says: Aug 22, 2014 3:40 PM

It’s crazy making that neither Graham or Curry can get on the field. Both are double digit sack players and both are mired on the depth chart behind either mediocre players or an old worn out one in Trent Cole. So much for adjusting your system to fit the talent on your roster. What a bunch of lip service hooey that is.

11. lovethehate401 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:41 PM

Keep dreaming people he isn’t getting cut. Trade maybe but I doubt it. Dude is PRODUCTIVE and the eagles aren’t exactly stacked with pass rushers. He’s staying put.

Go Eagles

12. dirtysanchez619 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:41 PM

….and to think the Eagles passed on drafting Earl Thomas for this chump!

13. rajbais says: Aug 22, 2014 3:41 PM

New England or Detroit could work.

14. riflemanlax says: Aug 22, 2014 3:46 PM

I feel like he’s trade bait at the moment. He’s not wrong- someone will want him. He fits a 4-3 scheme as a DE, and the Eagles have him at OLB in the 3-4, and he’s just not ideal. His rush skills aren’t bad, but he’s very meh in coverage.

15. aerialassault8411 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:46 PM

He’ll fit with the Falcons. We’re desperate for a pass rusher.

16. mathomp3 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:50 PM

drafted one spot in front of Earl Thomas….LOL

17. ninozlatino says: Aug 22, 2014 3:54 PM

We want you here too Brandon. Shame you were hurt early in your career. Most of us thought JPP was the better pick. Prove em wrong this year big dawg!! I love all the Eagles Hate. Can’t wait till we finally get one. Shut you all up. DESEAN JACKSON!!

18. vikesr4reel says: Aug 22, 2014 3:56 PM

Chip Kelly is a fraud!!

19. motobus says: Aug 22, 2014 3:56 PM

He’s was 3-4 OLB coming out of Michigan and he looked like a better fit in that system heading into the draft. Andy Reid just loved really undersized 4-3 DEs.

He will still probably be the primary 3rd down specialist pass rusher ahead of Marcus Smith who hasn’t looked real good in preseason so far.

20. cbs1971 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:57 PM

“Eagles are a complete joke!!”

says a viking’s fan….LOL!!!

21. billybone says: Aug 22, 2014 3:58 PM

Didn’t Philly take this guy right before Seattle grabbed All Pro safety Earl Thomas with the next pick?

You win some and lose some I suppose.

22. richardmswartz says: Aug 22, 2014 4:01 PM

Graham can really rush the passer on a team that really can’t. He’s making the roster.

23. junkfooddaddy says: Aug 22, 2014 4:06 PM

He doesn’t have the size to be a 4-3 DE either.

24. bringithome6 says: Aug 22, 2014 4:09 PM

Great attitude. I was down on him because he wasn’t JPP but I’ll take his work ethic over JPP’s. I wish and (think) the eagles keep him.

25. seenable says: Aug 22, 2014 4:09 PM

Is there a one-gap team in the league who wouldn’t take him?

26. Frank Gibbons says: Aug 22, 2014 4:13 PM

Play the run well, you play the run well.

27. textaz03 says: Aug 22, 2014 4:19 PM

Would gladly have him slide in our not so talented Dline rotation in Dallas!

28. chimps000 says: Aug 22, 2014 4:29 PM

Billy Davis should not be coaching this defense. Everyone agrees that they have the personnel for a 4-3, not a 3-4, but that hasn’t stopped Billy from trying to force the square peg in the round hole.

Graham, Vinny Curry, Trent Cole, and Fletcher Cox are all better suited to being 4-3 ends than 3-4 ends, and its not like the eagles have Vince Wilfork at nose tackle.

Good coaching is about fitting the scheme to the talent, not the other way around- in order for the eagles to get the players for a 3-4, it will take multiple drafts, in a win now league. I don’t expect Foles to repeat his 27 and 2 performance this year, and the defense will need to improve for the eagles to be a legitimate threat.

29. chrisk61 says: Aug 22, 2014 4:30 PM

eagles are smart. they won’t cut him. he will make the team, play situationally when a pass rush is needed. and if eagles decide he shouldn’t be on the team anymore, he will leave via a trade.

30. msc4realeagles says: Aug 22, 2014 4:34 PM

The Eagles traded up to get him, and instead of drafting Earl Thomas, they took Graham. Seahawks selected Thomas with the very next pick.

Thank you Andy Reid for passing on Brian Dawkins 2.0. Moron!

31. distracted9 says: Aug 22, 2014 4:37 PM

Graham and a pick to Miami for Dion Jordan should have been done 3 months ago.

32. therealtrenches says: Aug 22, 2014 4:43 PM

If he’s lined up to get to the QB and he’s actually getting to the QB, then he fits the system.

33. bubbybrisket says: Aug 22, 2014 4:45 PM

Could’ve had Earl Thomas

34. gmkev says: Aug 22, 2014 5:24 PM

Some team needs to trade for Vinny Curry and Brandon Graham. They are 4-3 DE’s who are not able to play major snaps in the Eagles 3-4. It’s a shame that they are two high draft picks with an ability to rush the pasher but they just don’t fit the scheme.

35. fanofthegame1 says: Aug 22, 2014 5:29 PM

Trade him for another player that does fit.

36. nflfollower says: Aug 22, 2014 5:30 PM

He is right. He is nor a 3-4 LB. Always thought he would be good in a wide 9, or passing down DE in any 4-3. Having him cover space in the NFL is a liability though.

37. Nick says: Aug 22, 2014 5:59 PM

@Motobus: he may have been pegged as a 3-4 OLB coming out of UM, but he played DE at UM. His size wasn’t an issue in college, it’s a bigger issue in the NFL.

He’s a very talented pass rusher, but doesn’t quite fit in a spot in the pros. Not quite a 3-4 OLB, but not a 4-3 DE either. Might be best as a 4-3 rush specialist in rotation.

38. zukny1 says: Aug 22, 2014 6:35 PM

4-3

DL: Graham, Flether Cox, Thornton, Curry
    LB: Kendricks, Dem Ryans & M Smith/Barwin

It really does seem to be a stronger front 7 than the 3-4

39. bus035 says: Aug 22, 2014 8:37 PM

P.S. Thanks for trading up and selecting Brandon Graham instead of Earl Thomas to replace Brian Dawkins

40. yetimonster says: Aug 22, 2014 10:10 PM

I love how Viking and Packers fans come to Eagles threads to duke it out.

41. mungman69 says: Aug 22, 2014 11:45 PM

Both Graham and Curry will stay and play.
    Graham will be starting by week 3. He will have a great season. He will lead the Eagles in sacks.

42. jayrivers77 says: Aug 23, 2014 6:56 AM

Why would they let this dude go? For what? And why would they put him at linebacker? He clearly has done more than any starter we have. We need to let Thornton go and let this guy and Curry start. Everybody else should be backups.

43. dexter191 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:20 AM

Chip cut Djax so nothing is etched in stone. Given the way the game will be called this season allowing Djax to walk seems a grave mistake especially for nothing in return.