Le’Veon Bell, LeGarrette Blount play into fourth quarter vs. Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

On the same day they were cited for marijuana possession, Steelers tailbacks Le’Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount both played into the fourth quarter of Pittsburgh’s 31-21 preseason loss at Philadelphia.

Bell (nine rushes, 23 yards) and Blount (seven rushes, 32 yards) were the only Steelers tailbacks to carry the ball against the Eagles.

Afterwards, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin shed some light on why Bell and Blount played.

“From my perspective, in terms of their participation tonight, I didn’t view it as punishment to send them home to be quite honest with you, to not play in this preseason game. I would rather them play more than anticipated than to remove them from the game,” Tomlin said, according to a transcript of his remarks from the club. “That’s why we took the stance that we took tonight.”

Tomlin called the Bell and Blount incident “conduct  . . . detrimental to our efforts. They’ll be dealt with appropriately.”

However, Tomlin said the club’s lackluster play Thursday night wasn’t related to the backs’ legal issues.

“We are not going to make any excuse for that performance. We are going to own that. What happened yesterday had nothing to do with how we performed tonight,” Tomlin said.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Le’Veon Bell, LeGarrette Blount play into fourth quarter vs. Eagles”
  1. motobus says: Aug 22, 2014 12:20 AM

Can everyone stop pretending to care about weed?

2. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Aug 22, 2014 12:20 AM

Chuff chuff, you guys.

3. gainofivefirstdown says: Aug 22, 2014 12:22 AM

Every year lately it’s the same thing. Steelers are overrated by the national media. They really aren’t s hit, want proof? The Bengals have won the division 3 straight years.

ZING !!!

4. tokyosandblaster says: Aug 22, 2014 12:55 AM

16 rushes for barely over three yards per carry.

Man, The Packers are so lucky to have picked Lacy instead of that nobody.

5. FlashPatterson says: Aug 22, 2014 1:00 AM

I’d make them play every single snap next week too. Not like any other backs are worth looking at on that roster.

6. buccaneerbeezy says: Aug 22, 2014 1:13 AM

I say they get the same punishment Big Ben did

7. uglydingo says: Aug 22, 2014 1:22 AM

Pittsburgh are a classy organization run by the Rooney family. They are probably shocked and disgusted to learn key Steeler players consume marijuana and will deal with it in house. Incidents like this happen on other teams, not the Steelers. They will be harshly punished and have to improve on the field for bringing disgrace to the team and the city of Pittsburgh.
    The players are obviously not too concerned by the drug testing within the NFL because they would have been caught after any pee test. Maybe the word has got out among players, that this will no longer be rigorously tested. Why would they be so cavalier about it, to consume immediately after training? There is more to this story.

8. angrylionsfan says: Aug 22, 2014 1:37 AM

“What happened yesterday had nothing to do with how we performed tonight,” Tomlin said.
    __________________________________

Wow, that says it all folks. If you do something stupid and inexcusable just be good and we’ll look the other way. I’m surprised this is coming from a team that the Rooney’s own.

I get it on a certainly level. Realistically the legal process will take forever and they won’t get formally charged or punished until next season but this still sets a bad example for the “moral high ground” that the NFL is trying to portray.

9. angrylionsfan says: Aug 22, 2014 1:38 AM

On the plus side I can still pencil in Bell for starting on my fantasy football team for week 1 by the sounds of it so Yay for me!

10. mungman69 says: Aug 22, 2014 3:10 AM

Hey Mike! Your Steelers look like a sub .500 team. You have a lotta work to do.

11. olcap says: Aug 22, 2014 5:02 AM

What do you mean when you say, “we are going to own that” Mr. Tomlin?

This guy keeps “owning” everything, but the team just keeps getting worse.

12. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 22, 2014 7:18 AM

The game was not as close as the final would indicate. It appears Tomlin has lost his team.

What happened with Bell/Blount may or may not have had anything to do with their poor play but I’m afraid it is a sign that the players aren’t all on board.

13. pardontheerruption says: Aug 22, 2014 7:24 AM

Eagles really took it to the Steelers…that includes the Eagles 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teamma going against their starters.

14. ctiggs says: Aug 22, 2014 7:29 AM

#NobodycanpossiblyhaveitbetterthanUS

15. icdogg says: Aug 22, 2014 7:29 AM

Seems like a problem for the Steelers (Stoners? ) if playing more football is considered to be a “punishment “.

16. mysterytonite says: Aug 22, 2014 8:11 AM

I hate the Steelers but I love what Tomlin did tonight. Kind of an old school punishment for being two knit-wits. Respect.

17. tinytoolalldrool says: Aug 22, 2014 8:32 AM

Under 2.5 yards a carry for Bell. I guess it did not matter if he played or not. Tomlin is a total douche also.

18. tinytoolalldrool says: Aug 22, 2014 8:32 AM

Ban them both for year for being so stupid lol.

19. iammrbinky says: Aug 22, 2014 8:51 AM

Perhaps the pot was for the teams pre game meeting explaining why they were so listless last night. That or they have no talent.

The Steelers may win 2 games this year.

20. freesoupwithhat says: Aug 22, 2014 9:06 AM

Obviously, because the standard is the standard and we need to play at or above the line.

Tomlin’s banal rhetoric has been wearing thin for years. I think he’s a good man and motivator but I’m beginning to think he’s a poor head coach.

21. cincyalldaway says: Aug 22, 2014 9:40 AM

Steelers better step it up or the Baltimore Browns are gonna pass them up…again!

22. “I impacted the game and as an official you never want to do that," Bill Leavy said in reference to Super Bowl XL. "It left me with a lot of sleepless nights and I think about it constantly. I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.” says: Aug 22, 2014 11:17 AM

I expect little from the Steelers, but this is low.

23. steelcurtainn says: Aug 23, 2014 12:34 AM

Nobody carries about the preseason. Give the eagles a cookie for there preseason win while the Steeler role teams in the regular season when it counts.