Jonathan Martin gets third start of preseason for 49ers

Martin Getty Images

When the 49ers traded for former Dolphins second-rounder Jonathan Martin, the biggest question was whether the subject of the Miami bullying scandal would make the team.  Now the biggest question is whether he’ll be a Week One starter.

Martin has started all three preseason games in San Francisco.  The first two came at right tackle.  He started Sunday’s game against the Chargers at left guard, sort of.

On the first play of a three-and-out effort, the former Stanford product was sandwiched between the left tackle and left guard in an unbalanced line that had tight end Vernon Davis at right tackle.  On the next snap (and the next), Martin was back at right tackle, where he has been playing in place of Anthony Davis, who is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery.

“I have clear eyes looking forward, focused on being a part of this team,” Martin recently told the Associated Press. “I’m just looking forward and doing my best to continue my NFL career and contribute to a team that’s as good as the 49ers. . . .  I’m doing my best to play well in these last two preseason games and whatever happens happens and I’ll have no regrets in the effort I put out and in my film study and work ethic.  There’s still stuff I’m cleaning up technique wise.  I’m starting to think less and play faster and that’s kind of the goal heading into Week One.”

That last part presumes Martin will indeed be with the team as of Week One.  Given that he has earned a starting role in each of the three preseason games, Martin apparently will be.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers
23 Responses to “Jonathan Martin gets third start of preseason for 49ers”
  1. catquick says: Aug 24, 2014 4:34 PM

They’re being nice to him.

2. jchipwood says: Aug 24, 2014 4:38 PM

Hope no one hurts his feelings

3. garyridgway says: Aug 24, 2014 4:53 PM

He sucks lol. Gore can’t get anything going. Looks like the 49ers have 14 yards of offense in the first quarter lol.

This team is done. All the band wagon Santa Clara fans can go hide back in the sewers they crawled out of. Just like they hid during the Erickson, Nolan, and Sing years.

Joke of a field, joke of a franchise. Go pay to see that museum you clowns and remember how good you used to be.

Go Hawks!

4. El Pollo Loco says: Aug 24, 2014 5:01 PM

Big sissy

5. scmems07 says: Aug 24, 2014 5:01 PM

If I was a niners fan I’d be embarrassed to have this joke of a human being on my favorite team.

6. joey49er says: Aug 24, 2014 5:09 PM

Well im a 49er fan …and unless their just playing possum the whole team is in a funk!! everyone has scored in our new stadium but us…lol

7. stexan says: Aug 24, 2014 5:11 PM

Let’s review the situation:

1. Martin is apparently going to start for one of the best teams in the leagu.

2. Absolutely noone, no matter how bad the need, wants Incognito.

3. Everyone ^^^^^ thinks Martin was the problem.

Got it.

8. cornersss says: Aug 24, 2014 5:11 PM

“On the first play of a three-and-out effort, the former Stanford product was sandwiched between the left tackle and left guard in an unbalanced line that had tight end Vernon Davis at right tackle. On the next snap (and the next), Martin was back at right tackle, ”

Not helpful in formation unless you tell us which way the play went.If the play went towards the side of the rt than Martin has not changed and is just a liability.

9. vancouversportsbro says: Aug 24, 2014 5:12 PM

I know it’s preseason but the 49ers do look a little shaky. I can’t remember a team being 0-3 to start the preseason and then being a super bowl or even playoff team.

10. chi49 says: Aug 24, 2014 5:29 PM

@vancouversportsbro

You mean the the Colts under Manning. Every. Single. Season.

Pre-season doesn’t matter at all. I prefer getting all the new guys playing time to assess them. Our core is in place and prefer them to be healthy week 1.

11. vancouversportsbro says: Aug 24, 2014 5:33 PM

@chi49

Your core as in the 49ers?

It looks like most of them are playing today and losing. Kaepernick doesn’t look much better than Gabbert. The truth hurts.

12. joey49er says: Aug 24, 2014 5:37 PM

Well im a die hard 49er fan .. we played like crap in last yrs preseason too..harbaugh is very good at keepin the team close to the vest and in not showing his hand in the preseason…but I would of liked kapp play a little longer…..but vance and ellington are for real…..
    How can I complain?
    5 TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!
    New stadium!!! plus been to playoffs 3 yrs straight….

13. buffaloisadumpsterandtheirfansaremorons says: Aug 24, 2014 5:43 PM

This guy is such a baby.

14. dalcow4 says: Aug 24, 2014 5:53 PM

That line got worked by the Chargers DL the entire first half.

I can’t see them holding up against Cheattle’s faster, stronger guys.

15. floriosbigtoe says: Aug 24, 2014 6:06 PM

Hopefully he does make the team. Then at least the Dolphins will get that 7th round pick for him. Friggin’ Ireland.

16. coachbeck says: Aug 24, 2014 6:08 PM

What a weak man.

Having this cancer on your team is nothing but a ticking time bomb of drama waiting to explode.

17. ncphinsfan says: Aug 24, 2014 6:16 PM

If he makes the Roster, the Dolphins get a 7th, if he is a Starter for 8+ games they get a 5th rounder. I hate to pick on the 49ers ( it might be construed as Bullying) but have you Fans thought about why your Offense is so pathetic this Preseason? Hint: Sissy RT

18. iamdinguskhan says: Aug 24, 2014 7:00 PM

Joey49er thanks for telling us your a 49ers fan…we would have never guessed…

19. titimium says: Aug 24, 2014 7:50 PM

Can garyridgway do math? Because 1 team has 5 SB wins and the other has 1. The geniuses who think Martin is a weak man or a sissy, do we have to guess what they thought about Chris Kluwe ?

20. mtrhead269 says: Aug 24, 2014 8:57 PM

Plays Soft

21. mikeymo74 says: Aug 24, 2014 9:51 PM

I’d love to see some of these keyboard warriors who are calling him soft and weak line up against him.

22. richieincognito68 says: Aug 25, 2014 12:51 AM

If you think I bullied Joanathan Martin just wait and see what Seattle is going to do

23. restorativejusticeprogram says: Aug 26, 2014 7:13 AM

Hope he does well.
    Incognito is a meat-head without any redeeming qualities outside of the football field.