Sore elbow keeps Matt Schaub out of practice

Matt Schaub AP

Last summer, Matt Flynn entered Raiders camp with a good shot at earning the team’s starting quarterback job before a sore elbow opened the door for Terrelle Pryor to nab the job.

Pryor is in Seattle and Flynn is in Green Bay, but there’s still a little whiff of deja vu in the air in Oakland. Matt Schaub missed practice on Sunday because of elbow soreness, giving Derek Carr a chance to work with the first team.

There are differences between the two situations, of course. Among them are the fact that Carr didn’t play in the third preseason game because of a rib injury and coach Dennis Allen said, via Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, that he doesn’t think Schaub is dealing with a serious injury.

Even if that’s the case, Schaub’s looked bad on the field this preseason after looking bad in Houston last season and missing time with an offense that needs work is hardly the best way to remedy that problem. It might not be enough for Carr to vault his way to the top of the depth chart by the start of the season, but a good showing with the first team could speed up his ascension.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Sore elbow keeps Matt Schaub out of practice”
  1. u4iadman says: Aug 24, 2014 9:16 PM

Smart move raiders made giving the guy a chance to recover.
    Unlike Pats who struggled since spygate.

2. rajbais says: Aug 24, 2014 9:22 PM

I wonder how many Raiders WRs are secretly high fiving each other.

3. buffaloisadumpsterandtheirfansaremorons says: Aug 24, 2014 9:24 PM

They should just sit him for the year, unless they want to fight Houston and Buffalo for the first overall pick.

4. seatownballers says: Aug 24, 2014 9:25 PM

18 different qbs since rich gannon.

5. raiderapologist says: Aug 24, 2014 9:25 PM

Schaub is getting paid, and should be the guy earning it this season. If he can’t go, it should be McGloin. This isn’t the season to be starting a drafted rookie QB in Oakland.

6. raiderej says: Aug 24, 2014 9:29 PM

The only good thing about acquiring this terrible QB is that this will mean the end for Dennis Allen AND Reggie McKenzie. I for one will rejoice at the demise of both these awful hires. After we finish 3-13 this year, Mark Davis will start with a clean slate at both GM and head coach. I applaud no longer having to look at Reggie’s jacked up Afro. But sadly, as a die hard fan since 1976 and a native Oaklander, I must say that it seems inevitable that we will lose our Raiders to a different market. It’s been an exciting ride. My Raiders will never be THE Raiders again! Go Raider Nation though. There is only ONE nation and always will only be one.

7. nyyjetsknicks says: Aug 24, 2014 9:31 PM

He’s got to be healthy to throw those pick 6s.

8. “I impacted the game and as an official you never want to do that," Bill Leavy said in reference to Super Bowl XL. "It left me with a lot of sleepless nights and I think about it constantly. I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.” says: Aug 24, 2014 9:31 PM

What didn’t change, though, is that the Raiders never learn from their mistakes. They are too quick to judge QBs.

9. The Steelers are Marching and the world cowers. The three rivers were made from your tears and we build boats. We build lots of boats. We walk beside pristine trophy cases and engraved gold. They say it's lonely at the top, but we sure like the view. says: Aug 24, 2014 9:35 PM

Just wait till Oakland fans show up at his house.

10. theflyingelvis says: Aug 24, 2014 9:39 PM

I admit, I have no idea how Schaub has played so far this preseason, but the last thing he needs is to miss any reps in practice. I’m actually very curious to see how he plays this season cuz I always thought he was a quality QB who, for whatever reason, was shell shocked, lost his confidence, and completely fell apart last year. It’ll be interesting to see if he can rebound and turn in a solid season after the disaster of last season and all the analysts tearing him apart.

11. edavidberg says: Aug 24, 2014 9:48 PM

McGloin has looked pretty good. He is more ready than Carr.

12. eceverett66 says: Aug 24, 2014 9:48 PM

I’d settle for 7 wins this season, with Carr and McGloin battling it out for the starting job next season. So far, having not seen enough of Carr to get a fair read, my money is on McGloin, who may not have the measurables, but definitely has the intangibles. He simply moves the offense and never seems as if the moment is too big for him. Sadly, after 11 seasons, Schaub still does not rise above servicable.

13. bert1913 says: Aug 24, 2014 9:49 PM

the raiders suck and the owner sucks, this will not be changing for years to come. that being said, the raiders have the most loyal fans of all of sports. until ownership changes i don’t see things improving.

14. ron69 says: Aug 24, 2014 9:51 PM

I wonder if he could keep his elbow sore just for the next 18 weeks.

15. rubicon202 says: Aug 24, 2014 9:53 PM

I’m going to stay positive and look 4ward to us making plays and winning more than 4 games this year. That is all..

16. tinbender2000 says: Aug 24, 2014 9:53 PM

@raiderej : I sure hope something happens before going nuclear and moving. Portland for me would mean something less than 1,000 miles round trip to see a game unlike Oakland, but I grew up there too. Spent my paper route money as a kid on Raider tickets. To see them move elsewhere would be criminal on somebody’s part.

17. chrisk61 says: Aug 24, 2014 9:55 PM

poor oakland. can’t get the QB position right…and won’t go anywhere til they do.

well except maybe to san antonio or LA…

18. broncobub says: Aug 24, 2014 10:05 PM

Let’s be honest, they could start either Shaub or Carr and still cough up a dozen losses.

This is the Raiders we’re talking about.

19. Raider Jon says: Aug 24, 2014 10:11 PM

I hate to see any football player get injured, but I hope DA and RM see enough of DC and MM to pass on Schaub.

20. elwaysteeth says: Aug 24, 2014 10:15 PM

I think that if DA truly believes in his own Mantra: “I will start the QB that gives us the best chance to win”, then he has to start McGloin. He has already proven last year that this assignment is not too big for him. He makes the right decisions, gets the ball out quickly and moves the offense much better than Schaub. Carr isn’t ready yet, but Schaub never will be, his days are done. The best way he can help this team now is to stand next to Carr on the sidelines and help Carr to prepare for his time.

21. El Pollo Loco says: Aug 24, 2014 10:19 PM

How poorly run is this franchise?Theyll end up going to San Antonio and be a distant 5th as far as interest behind The Cowboys Texans Longhorns Spurs and Aggies instead of the 2nd largest market in America LA.Might as well contract them

22. rickgjags says: Aug 24, 2014 10:27 PM

Didn’t read one comment. On purpose. I will agree with them all.

23. leatherface2012 says: Aug 24, 2014 10:27 PM

cant aaron rodgers just play for everyone at the same time? thats the only thing that could probably prevent stuff like this

24. raiderman81 says: Aug 24, 2014 10:47 PM

guys.., before you bash reggie and dennis allen remember we picked up matt schaub on a team friendly contract for a 7th round pick…… AGAIN a 7th round pick with a team friendly contract..

25. getthegleam says: Aug 24, 2014 10:52 PM

Everyone keeps beating the Matt McGloin drum, tell me, how has he looked against 1st teamers? yep didn’t think so, I like him to, but his record from last indicates McGloin isn’t ready to run a team just yet, I like his moxy but lets not crown him just yet.

26. freshchorizo says: Aug 24, 2014 11:15 PM

He completed 13-of-27 passes for 110 yards and has a sore elbow? I was all in when they traded for this guy but this is looking more and more like another terrible move by Reggie. 13.5 million over 2 yrs with 8 million guaranteed for this washed up clown? Trading Palmer was a huge mistake.

27. spankmarley says: Aug 24, 2014 11:23 PM

3 is still greater than 2 broncos trolls. Know your role in the afc west.

28. raymondtx says: Aug 24, 2014 11:27 PM

Defensive backs all over the NFL are pulling for “Mr pick six” , I mean Schaub, to get well.

29. freshchorizo says: Aug 24, 2014 11:31 PM

raiderman81 says:
    Aug 24, 2014 10:47 PM
    ————————————
    Sorry raiderman81, but spending 8 million on Schaub with what looks like another sub .500 season isn’t “team friendly”. I would have rather seen them spend that 8 million in other areas and roll with Mcgloin and start Carr after the bye if he played poorly.

30. natelan says: Aug 24, 2014 11:36 PM

Philip Rivers has never missed a game in his entire career since becoming a starter.

31. tech831 says: Aug 24, 2014 11:53 PM

I’m ok with Carr starting I believe that we are going to be a very affective running team we just need him to manage the clock and he has more than enough of an arm to take some shots down the field plus the carr does also have some wheels!

32. silverandblack052099 says: Aug 25, 2014 12:41 AM

Schaub hasn’t looked good, but his receivers haven’t done a lot to help him out either.

Throw at 3rd round pick at Houston for Andre Johnson! It’s not to late.

33. dejadoh says: Aug 25, 2014 12:42 AM

The 4th preseason game usually involves the backups anyway. So a report of a sore elbow doesn’t mean all that much. Schaub has looked okay, just not great or consistent. He needs to stay healthy. Both Carr and McGloin have looked good against the 2nd/3rd stringers. McGloin has been the offense for a year and should know all of the offense (he seems comfortable). Carr seems to have the best arm, but he’s very new to this team. He looked good against the 1st team Detroit defense (in the brief time they were still on field), but he needs to grow some eyes in the back of his head with this OL to survive or he’ll end up like his brother (and it’s really a sad comparison when it’s talked about David with that horrific Houston OL the first 3 years). Nobody in the league would have lasted that long or put up with it.

34. nobreak1269 says: Aug 25, 2014 1:01 AM

Ridiculous-Schaub is. Yoda

35. nobreak1269 says: Aug 25, 2014 1:11 AM

Wow-the Raiders qbs are actually worse than the Jets choosing between Sanchez and Tebow.

36. jimmysee says: Aug 25, 2014 1:41 AM

Reggie McKenzie will always be welcome back home in Green Bay.

37. tim8450 says: Aug 25, 2014 1:50 AM

When you start 18 quarterbacks in 13 years, your problem isn’t the QB.

38. tim8450 says: Aug 25, 2014 1:55 AM

How many super-bowls has Rivers played in? Durability has its drawbacks.

39. bskilla says: Aug 25, 2014 2:03 AM

I’m not big on Schaub but the logic was picking him up to not be predictable in the draft. We were able to get Mack and Carr because of it. We didn’t have to reach for a QB and Carr fell to us in the second round.

40. babygaga19 says: Aug 25, 2014 2:29 AM

Mommy, why d0 we always suck? You said Reggie was a god?

Yes my little Raider angel, Reggie is the greatest God of our time. Right now, just give our players a chance. We are going to the Super Bowl this year!!!!!! Yeah!!!

41. thethunderofgunns says: Aug 25, 2014 7:52 AM

Good. McGloin is better than Shcrub.

42. floriospftflunkies says: Aug 25, 2014 7:55 AM

Trent Edwards is the future

43. therealtruth210 says: Aug 25, 2014 7:55 AM

how soon we forget Schaub was a Pro Bowl qb in 2012. Last season Foster and Andre Johnson missed a bunch of games. You losers act like he is the worst qb in the league just shows you how stupid you are all.

44. raiderufan says: Aug 25, 2014 7:59 AM

So they go into halftime and Schaub hasn’t tested the D deep even one time….they come out in the 2nd half and he throws 3-4 straight deep balls…injured elbow…

How you gonna tell me his arm isn’t shot? He knew he couldn’t throw it over 10 yards so he didn’t. As soon as he did his elbow unraveled.

I say start McGloin until after the London game. If he’s on fire keep playing him, if not give Carr the 2 weeks and a home game against SD for his first start and move forward.

45. araidersfan says: Aug 25, 2014 8:35 AM

So I guess that now ‘sore elbow’ = ineffective in preseason.

Makes me a bit nostalgic for the 70s/80s when they used to say that a player who was out of his mind on cocaine was out with the ‘flu’.

46. r8rsfan says: Aug 25, 2014 10:08 AM

Don’t over react. It’s still preseason. There were many changes on both sides of the ball, gonna take more time to come together. Schaub will be gone after the season.

47. rai8erjesse24 says: Aug 25, 2014 1:15 PM

Pick 6

48. thatstinks says: Aug 25, 2014 1:58 PM

Before last season Schaub had a string of good seasons . It’s natural to want lump this into the Matt Flynn situation from last season but its not really . Schaub does have a body of work . Lets see how it plays out .

49. eastbayraider says: Aug 25, 2014 2:40 PM

Good thing we have McGloin. This guy gets the team moving. Maybe not long term,but if needed Im glad he’s there. Lets see how MS does before hammering him too much.

50. raiderapologist says: Aug 25, 2014 7:21 PM

freshchorizo says: Aug 24, 2014 11:15 PM

————————
    Palmer wanted to leave. He quit on the Bengals. He would have quit on the Raiders, too.

51. raiderapologist says: Aug 25, 2014 7:32 PM

natelan says: Aug 24, 2014 11:36 PM

——————
    Is there a trophy for that? I like Rivers-as a QB, not as a Charger-but he hasn’t won anything.