Skip to content

Chargers trim 11 players

Micah Hatfield, Greg Ducre AP

The Chargers have announced their first wave of cuts, leaving them with four more moves to make to get to 75 players by Tuesday afternoon.

If there’s a notable departure, it may be that of punter Chase Tenpenny and not just because his name makes him sounds like the first Dickens character to make it to the NFL. With Tenpenny gone, Mike Scifres is the only punter on the roster for Thursday night and that could lead to some bad memories of last year when Scifres hurt his knee on a blocked punt in the final exhibition contest.

Tackle Nick Becton, fullback Zach Boren, tight end Jake Byrne, wide receiver Brelan Chancellor, linebacker Adrian Hamilton, wide receiver Micah Hatfield (pictured), guard Darryl Johnson, tight end Ryan Otten, cornerback Lowell Rose and running back Kerwynn Williams were the other 10 players asked to turn in their playbooks on Monday.

The Chargers will likely have some tougher decisions to make later this week as they make their way to their initial 53-man roster.

Permalink 4 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
4 Responses to “Chargers trim 11 players”
  1. scrp2 says: Aug 25, 2014 4:55 PM

    Qualcomm Stadium is a great stadium that can house the Chargers another 15 years and attract a couple of super bowls along the way.

  2. bassplucker says: Aug 25, 2014 5:06 PM

    I think Ryan Otten will land someplace. TE is a hell of a challenge to crack the roster in San Diego but I bet somebody else gives him a look. He was the 4th or 5th rated TE on the board with some scouts this past draft.

  3. therealtruth210 says: Aug 25, 2014 5:47 PM

    Worst franchise in the league with no super bowls

  4. dalcow4 says: Aug 25, 2014 8:36 PM

    AKA “eleven players who could start for New England, the thinnest team in the league.”

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!