Dimitri Patterson denies going AWOL, after going AWOL

keep-calm-and-go-awol

The Jets suspended cornerback for being “Absent” from Friday’s preseason game “Without” him first obtaining “Leave.”

Yet, Patterson himself doesn’t understand why anyone considers him AWOL

“There’s no need for concern,” Patterson told Josh Peter of USA Today. “The reports about me going AWOL are totally false. I have my reason for missing those days. I’m not going to go into specifics, but I’ve discussed those reasons with the people I need to discuss them with. But as far as going AWOL, no, that’s totally false.”

Except, you know, that they’re not.
He was absent. The Jets didn’t know where he was, and didn’t approve the absence. Hence, without leave.

“I can’t really go into details about that,” Patterson said. “But just know that I’ve been in the league for 10 years, and no one’s just going to up and leave and just not tell anybody.

“But what I will say is I discussed those reasons with the people I need to discuss them with, and that’s it. And my mind frame is in a great place, always has been and always will be.

“I don’t know where this whole AWOL thing came from. And the media’s really … run with it for whatever reason.”

Perhaps because he went AWOL, and now that he’s back with the Jets, somebody needs to explain to him what that acronym means.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Dimitri Patterson denies going AWOL, after going AWOL”
  1. honkerdawg says: Aug 26, 2014 6:40 AM

Another example of just how STUPID some of these guys are. Why bother to even keep someone this stupid on your team?

2. nyyjetsknicks says: Aug 26, 2014 6:45 AM

I’m guessing he had some family problem and doesn’t want to discuss it with everyone.

3. strangelove74 says: Aug 26, 2014 7:01 AM

Maybe someone should explain to you that the NFL isn’t a branch of the military.

4. cwk22 says: Aug 26, 2014 7:31 AM

His mind is in the right place? Delusional

5. myaw740 says: Aug 26, 2014 7:35 AM

What a great story!

6. Truthopia says: Aug 26, 2014 7:40 AM

It’s a new definition, called “None Of Your Business.”

7. liltifer says: Aug 26, 2014 7:41 AM

Jets brass chimed in with “We talked with him about being suspended and while he’s not going to be practicing or playing for a couple of weeks, that whole suspension thing is totally false.”

8. exboomer says: Aug 26, 2014 7:49 AM

Patterson had a responsiblity to let the team know he would be absent and to get permission to miss the game. Seeing as how he didn’t do that he was as was pointed out AWOL. It’s a good thing he isn’t in the military or he’d be in a cell right now.

9. denverdude7 says: Aug 26, 2014 7:59 AM

Here we go…

The Jets annual circus is back in town !!!

10. Chuck Norris says: Aug 26, 2014 8:28 AM

Perhaps he went to the Bart Scott school of higher edumacation. Sort of like how Scott went on a “media mutiny”, proving he doesnt know what a mutiny is. I feel like Patterson doesnt know what AWOL means. He thinks it means he went crazy or something, and he is simply telling us he didnt go crazy. Thanks Dimitri, now go get a dictionary so you can actually answer the question. (Dimitri, a dictionary is a book, that defines what words mean, and how they can be used in a sentence)

11. 1nyj says: Aug 26, 2014 8:36 AM

Wow, this guy really is stupid. Apparently he bailed because he wasn’t pleased with where he was listed on the depth chart. Cut him loose and sign another veteran.

12. gayforbrady says: Aug 26, 2014 9:18 AM

I hope Rex Ryan coaches the Jets for another 5 years.

There is just so much drama coming out of that organization it’s good entertainment on days when there is no football.

Thanks Rex

13. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 26, 2014 11:10 AM

Who is smarter, Dmitri Patterson or a piece of plywood ?

Unless you got hit by a car and were unconscious in a hospital for 2 days you don’t have much of an excuse not to call the coaches before the game and say you wouldn’t be there and why.

The fact that he didn’t let anyone with the Jets know he wouldn’t be there tells me the reason wasn’t sufficient that the team would have let him go if he’d asked to be absent for those 2 days.

14. Punk says: Aug 26, 2014 11:40 AM

It seems obvious that Patterson spoke with SOMEBODY and it seems to me that the Jets have an internal communication failure and want to place the blame on someone, not them.

Yeah, that pretty much sounds like a Ryan.

15. elgranclavero says: Aug 26, 2014 2:44 PM

The JETS are the NFLs SOAP OPERA!!!

God Bless the Jets too bad they don’t bring in Tebow to keep the circus going