Alex Smith doesn’t know when his drop-dead day is for contract

Justin Trattou, Alex Smith AP

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith said at the beginning of training camp that he’d break off contract talks at a certain point to eliminate distractions.

But with camp over and the regular season a week away, Smith is no closer to deciding what that date is.

“No, I haven’t — I wish I had an answer for you,” Smith said, via Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star. “I feel like I’ve kind of been locked into games and practicing. With camp winding down here, preseason winding down, certainly we’ll see. But sorry. No answer for you today.”

At this point, he said he didn’t think the negotiations were distracting him, or his teammates.

“I can’t speak on how those guys think,” Smith said. “I certainly know that for myself, . . . it’s the last thing I’m thinking about. I think that as a football player, when you’re in that locker room it’s: What is that guy putting in? What is he sacrificing? Is he accountable? How bad does he want it for the team?

“Those are the things I think about as a teammate and that I look for in my teammates, . . . no matter what, if a guy is on his last year or he’s in a dispute, he’s tagged, whatever those things might be.”

Smith’s entering the last year of his deal, and has the benefit of the Chiefs wanting to get linebacker Justin Houston locked up too.

There’s only one tag to use between the pair of them, so something will have to give if the Chiefs want to keep both. And if they want to keep Smith from worrying about it during the regular season, they have a week and a half.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Alex Smith doesn’t know when his drop-dead day is for contract”
  1. robertaeades940 says: Aug 27, 2014 8:20 AM

He needs to make his mind up…. KC Chiefs all the way this year 😀

2. wny49er says: Aug 27, 2014 8:20 AM

I think the Bills have found their quarter back for next year.

3. kehav1 says: Aug 27, 2014 8:25 AM

i think alex has done enough to warrant a good deal without any competent receivers…he should get a better deal than redfire in cincy but not anywhere close to brees…

4. scothawk says: Aug 27, 2014 8:45 AM

Alex Smith doesnt know when a lot of things are.

Like when to throw more than 10 yards through the air to a receiver.

5. araidersfan says: Aug 27, 2014 9:10 AM

Trouble in paradise?

So the Chiefs may not wind up keeping a QB who they traded upper-round picks to obtain. Not the first time either (remember Matt Cassel?) And yet according to some of their fans, only the Raiders are capable of acting so irrationally when it comes to QBs

6. youreinthejunglebaby says: Aug 27, 2014 9:12 AM

Looks like they called your bluff, Alex.

7. SAV says: Aug 27, 2014 9:15 AM

Alex Smith has talent he should become a free agent and sign with St. Louis

8. bubbybrisket says: Aug 27, 2014 9:17 AM

He’s an elite game manager

9. dstep24 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:23 AM

Why is anyone really even considering this guy’s request? He’s Alex Smith. He hands the ball off, and dumps the ball off. That’s it. Oh, and throws interceptions when he tries to do anything more. Seriously. Were talking about Alex Smith here people. Alex…..Smith. Just wanna make sure everyone understands that we are actually talking about Alex Smith demanding more money.

I guess the joke is on the bosses.