ESPN apologizes for reporting on Michael Sam’s shower habits

Shower Getty Images

On Tuesday, ESPN’s Josina Anderson filed a report from Rams camp that included fairly extensive commentary on the shower habits of Michael Sam.  On Wednesday, ESPN apologized for the report.

“ESPN regrets the manner in which we presented our report,” the network said in a statement posted at its media-relations website, via SportsBusiness Daily.  “Clearly on Tuesday we collectively failed to meet the standards we have set in reporting on LGBT-related topics in sports.”

The Big Lead has the video of the report, which included a minute or so on whether Sam is avoiding showering with his teammates so that they aren’t uncomfortable.

It’s hard to listen to the explanation about whether Sam avoids showering with teammates without becoming uncomfortable, and ESPN ultimately decided that it was uncomfortable with the discomfort created by the report.

Permalink 87 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
87 Responses to “ESPN apologizes for reporting on Michael Sam’s shower habits”
  1. patfic5 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:31 AM

You guys are all the same.

2. patfic5 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:33 AM

The media. So advanced, so progressive. Lol. Michael Sam is still a human being. He’s gay. He doesn’t have the plague.

3. baltimoremikeg says: Aug 27, 2014 9:33 AM

“We just want to cover sports news”

-ESPN

4. scoops1 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:36 AM

This is why no one takes ESPN seriously anymore…..

5. leftlaneisforpassingonly says: Aug 27, 2014 9:38 AM

ESPN – “If there’s no story we’ll be the story.”

6. Frank Gibbons says: Aug 27, 2014 9:38 AM

This is going to change the look of my fantasy lineup.

7. jghs38 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:38 AM

This is how you know reporters are taking it too far with Michael Sam, their reporting his shower habits. Seriously who cares, he is a seventh round pick who happens to be gay, so what? Treat him like other football players, don’t give him this kind of publicity for nothing. How come I don’t here much about Clowney or Mack or Bortles and what they do outside football everyday. I’m not hating on gay people, but this is ridiculous, get back to football, ESPN.

8. melvingaines says: Aug 27, 2014 9:39 AM

ESPN has made so many mistakes recently with their overall coverage it’s beyond ridiculous. Very amateurish and unprofessional broadcasting, and a lot of suspensions and apologies. ABC/Disney, who’s in charge..anyone?? I won’t watch their weekly programming anymore. If it weren’t for college football on weekends, I wouldn’t watch at all.

9. buddysguys says: Aug 27, 2014 9:41 AM

When will ESPN go away? They are like books we dont need them anymore now that we have the internet. They should just stick to hosting Fantasy Football Leagues.

10. coachbeck says: Aug 27, 2014 9:44 AM

Espn helped create this sideshow. Remember this is the same network who fired a reporter for saying a team had a chink in their armour. Because they thought it was offensive lol

11. 700levelvet says: Aug 27, 2014 9:44 AM

Sports fellas and ladies… ALL of you… Report on the games… Fans watch games… And root for our favorite teams… That’s it

12. tennesseeoilers says: Aug 27, 2014 9:45 AM

Watched the actual video report and it seemed benign. If the report is accurate, then it’s newsworthy simply because, contrary to the PC spin, Sam’s sexual orientation does indeed influence the psychology of locker room chemistry. It’s common sense folks. Think about it … if the NFL ever welcomes a female placekicker, will she shower with the guys?

13. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Aug 27, 2014 9:45 AM

ESPN is obviously disappointed with the lack of controversy and “distractions” Sam has caused. I’m sure they were looking forward to exploiting the situation for ratings as much as possible. When nothing materialized and it turned out that current NFL players were not, in fact, born in 1935, they realized they were going to have to create their own controversies.

14. yourfavoriteteamstinks says: Aug 27, 2014 9:46 AM

The media has no clue what people actually want to hear about.

15. hgeranimo64 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:49 AM

So who’s getting suspended for this one?

16. sonoco says: Aug 27, 2014 9:49 AM

ESPN . . . We report . . . you decide.

17. floratiotime says: Aug 27, 2014 9:49 AM

Stay classy ESPN.

18. munny10 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:51 AM

Unless you are from NY, BOS, LA, MIA – ESPN is basically unwatchable. They have no credibility with real sports fans.

19. kingpel says: Aug 27, 2014 9:51 AM

I disagree. I think this story falls right in line with the standards they have set in reporting on LGBT-related topics in sports. Over the top and unnecessary.

20. kneelbeforesod says: Aug 27, 2014 9:53 AM

Where’s our apology for the Manziel coverage?

21. usedjock says: Aug 27, 2014 9:54 AM

I think ESPN are the only ones who care about Michael Sam being gay. Maybe I am in the minority but I simply do not care if he is gay or not I truly don’t.
    I miss the old days of ESPN when they had tons of highlights (of all teams not just who they want), and didn’t want to create the stories. If it wasn’t for college game day (which I think is excellent) I would never watch them.

22. solnosky says: Aug 27, 2014 9:54 AM

Back in the 80’s there was a major gap in sports reporting. You had the 5 minutes after the weather and The George Michael Sports Machine.

Then ESPN came along and did a masterful job of filling that hole.

It seems as though that hole has reappeared. Once again leaving a gaping hole in effective sports reporting.

Will someone please step up? Bueller? Bueller?

Oh yea, and The Weather Channel… don’t get me started on that fiasco…

23. milwaukeeguy says: Aug 27, 2014 9:55 AM

It’s ESPN. They just can’t help themselves.

24. yesrowntreeyesgrosvener says: Aug 27, 2014 9:56 AM

“Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause I’ve worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.”

ESPN is now taking PR cues from George Costanza. Awesome.

25. bucrightoff says: Aug 27, 2014 9:57 AM

ESPN is basically a self-parody at this point.

26. fissels says: Aug 27, 2014 10:00 AM

I’m surprised the arrogant ESPN apologized.

27. kamthechancellor says: Aug 27, 2014 10:00 AM

If the story isn’t about him being gay, then there really isn’t a story.

28. gopblows says: Aug 27, 2014 10:02 AM

Some guys are uncomfortable showering with straight men so how does this make them feel more comfortable?

29. sportsjunkii says: Aug 27, 2014 10:02 AM

Draft day coverage was way over the top. Had to turn it off!

30. footballfan says: Aug 27, 2014 10:05 AM

This is another good reason to never turn on ESPN. I honestly wish I could get it removed from my programming. Total waste of space.

31. jimr10 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:05 AM

I am waiting on a video and report on what he ate for breakfast… or maybe a video of him brushing his teeth…

32. 8to80texansblog says: Aug 27, 2014 10:09 AM

It’s in ESPN’s best interest to keep stories like this, Tebow, and Manziel at the tip of relevance until something better comes along to push ratings.

Tim Tebow wasn’t a real story until Skip Bayless came along.

The moment people figured out that “news” could be a profit center, “news” became worthless.

33. 6ball says: Aug 27, 2014 10:11 AM

The last remaining manufacturing jobs in the USA : sports news

34. bullcharger says: Aug 27, 2014 10:13 AM

Why would anyone report on that in the first place. It’s sensationalism to try and create some kind of controversy. If owners, GMs, coaches and players can all just move on and treat Sam like any other player then why can’t ESPN?

35. Chuck Norris says: Aug 27, 2014 10:19 AM

The only people who give a rats azz about Michael Sam’s sexuality are the progressives/liberals. It is the same story over and over. Make a big deal about how he is the first, blah blah blah and act like America isnt an accepting country. Then beat down anyone who dares speak out against the issue. Then when everyone has accepted it, is over it, and doesnt think it is a big deal, they need to drum something up to make it a big deal again. Sort of the, “See, I told you that America isnt accepting” story.

We see it everyday, whether it is a gay athlete, or the presidents skin color, we hear about it over and over and over and over and over and over because the goal isnt acceptance, the goal is to make it a huge deal. And when everything dies down they dont know what to do and need to make something up to make it a big deal again. The President, whether you agree with him or not, isnt white, and was elected twice. That pretty much tells me America (atleast “most”) is over racism. But yet, every story about Obama is that white conservatives disagree with his liberal agenda, not because they have a different political view, but rather, because they are racist…. America has accepted a president of a different skin color, so the liberal media needs to drum up racism because that sells.

America is the most accepting, most tolerant country on earth. But if you listen to Sharpton, Obama, Jackson, MSNBC, etc, it is hard to believe because 22 hours a day they are telling us we arent accepting, we arent tolerant, etc. If you think America isnt tolerant or accepting, I suggest you go to some of the other countries in this world and tell them you are gay, and you will see what intolerant really is

36. Indybear says: Aug 27, 2014 10:20 AM

ESPN won’t begin to regain any credibility until they fire the ultimate blowhard, Chris Berman. His shtick was stale 15 years ago.

37. texansdude says: Aug 27, 2014 10:22 AM

They just need to hire Arian Foster as their pr guy after that one. “We’re just out here, working hard, trying to be the best network we can be.”

38. psousa1 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:23 AM

This is another reason why I cannot stomach ESPN. The only thing worth watching is Baseball Tonight.

Their so called ‘reporting’ are now resembling Saturday Night Live skits of ESPN reporting.

Thankfully we now have Fox sports and NFL network

What a load of crap – they regret this . Right now the media relations dept. probably sounds like Flounder from ‘Animal House’ “Oh boy, this is great!”

39. ducknichols50 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:24 AM

just to be clear….ESPN has been over the top for years. They need to report sports scores, highlights, etc. They need to leave political theories and opinions out of it. However, there are other networks who are there for sports that do the same thing.

I used to watch Sportscenter on a daily basis. Now, i only watch ESPN when my team is playing or if im bored and a game is on.

Im tired of the world apologizing when someone gets offended.

I am a married man to a beautiful lady. If i had to shower with women at my workplace i would be uncomfortable even though i am attracted to women. If i had to shower with men at my workplace i would NOT be uncomfortable with that scenario. But, I can understand that others may not be so comfortable showering with people of the same sex who prefer that sex.

Either way, i detest ESPN for covering such a story. It should be up to the Employer and Employee to determine how to effectively handle this type of a situation. The more and more involvement government has….the more and more they will interfere in routine life.

40. wellthatsinteresting says: Aug 27, 2014 10:26 AM

Remember when the word ‘integrity’ meant something in the media? I barely do. I bet when McDonald’s opened up their first restaurant, the hamburgers were pretty good. Now they serve junk. But nobody cares, because there’s nowhere else to get a $1.19 hamburger. I bet when ESPN first came on the air, their reporting was pretty good. Now they air junk. But nobody cares because there’s nowhere else to get a National Sports Channel on your basic cable/satellite package.

41. camcameronsucks says: Aug 27, 2014 10:26 AM

What’s the big deal? I want to know this information….does he use a rag or a luffa in the shower?

Seems pertinent to me.

42. nite2al says: Aug 27, 2014 10:26 AM

Dungy was right, obviously.

43. frozentundra13 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:27 AM

Disney is the root of all evil. Just a fact of life.

44. 3yardsndust says: Aug 27, 2014 10:29 AM

Can’t remember the last time I watched ESPN unless I had to. Idiots.

45. cguy7 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:30 AM

People don’t realize that $5 of their cable bill goes to ESPN on a monthly basis… Outside of college football, MNF, and the US Open, (golf) I have no use for the jockless dweebs who report sports on a daily basis… Their NFL team is even worse with Killer Ray and Trent Dilfer. (nails on a chalk board…)

46. george1859 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:31 AM

The guy is gay, just like lots of other NFL players in the game today who don’t have the stones to come out of the closet..
    Sam is just honest.
    Give the man the respect he deserves.
    ESPN is a joke.

47. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:33 AM

The worldwide joke of sportscasting. There are many reasons why I haven’t watched or had bspn on my TV for almost 8 years now.

The sole exception has been when they had a Thursday night NFL game I was interested in.

48. longtimefanhtr says: Aug 27, 2014 10:33 AM

Every circus has a clown. Congrats or something ESPN.

49. opinevain says: Aug 27, 2014 10:33 AM

ESPN is desperate. Everyone there is a tool and believe they know what the public wants to hear. I’ve never been asked what I want to hear.

50. HerculesHochuli says: Aug 27, 2014 10:34 AM

ESPN is a joke. Does Josina Anderson get suspended/terminated? I mean shouldn’t a light bulb have gone off on her head; “Should I really be reporting this?” Was she thinking at all?

51. starfan79 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:35 AM

stupid

52. ninetysixer says: Aug 27, 2014 10:37 AM

I was not offended, but maybe someone was, therefore, all hell should break loose

53. tvjules says: Aug 27, 2014 10:38 AM

ESPN becomes more irrelevant every year.

54. marty2020 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:44 AM

Now that his shower habits are a news story, does ESPN post a reporter in the Rams’ showers to report on the goings-on? What about the rest of the NFL? Could there be shower stories on other teams? Let’s post reporters in all the showers and see if we can come up with something. After all, this is now a legitimate story!

55. mack2x says: Aug 27, 2014 10:46 AM

The media, (especially espn) is just lame.

56. jrdrop says: Aug 27, 2014 10:47 AM

“Clearly on Tuesday we collectively failed to meet the standards we have set in reporting on sports.”

Fixed it for them.

57. fjbuon says: Aug 27, 2014 10:49 AM

Who watches ESPN anymore?

58. deshackle says: Aug 27, 2014 10:49 AM

Wonder what the coverage and media attention will be like when the first female gets drafted? Will her shower habits be documented and reported upon? Probably.

I’m not surprised ESPN gave a report regarding Michael Sam’s shower routine, and I’ve been wondering if some players on the team would feel uncomfortable being in the shower with him.

It’s good to see guys take the high road, I guess.

59. bobby927 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:51 AM

All these “after the fact” apologies are total BS. IMO they all know what they are doing/saying to get the WOW factor. Journalism(?) at its worst.

60. luz56 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:52 AM

Too little too late….the coverage on Sam is embarrassing to begin with but to take it to that level someone needs to lose their job

61. roadwarrior99 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:56 AM

Ah, I long for the days when MTV played music and ESPN covered sports.

62. reaganknight says: Aug 27, 2014 10:58 AM

Honestly, doesn’t the St. Louis area have more important things to worry about than the shower habits of a gay football player?

63. tritz32 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:59 AM

Around the Horn (Reali and Paige) and PTI are the only shows to watch on ESPN.

64. mvp43 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:00 AM

All I care about is how Chris Kluwe feels about this.

65. senseprevails says: Aug 27, 2014 11:04 AM

This is not all on Josina. Either she found out the information and ran it by producers or they told her specifically to ask about how he was being received in the locker room. You can argue that information shouldn’t have been reported, and I would agree, but it is out of the ordinary that a player wouldn’t be showering with the rest.

66. smackingfools says: Aug 27, 2014 11:12 AM

MTV used to play music. ESPN used to report score and highlights.

67. hairpie2 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:14 AM

And they buried their apology for coaching up “experts” lying about Walk through tapes and creating “Spygate” by burying it in the Ombudsman page. Classic.

68. bradygirl12 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:21 AM

The World Wide Leaders in poor judgement. What else is new?

69. sosuhme says: Aug 27, 2014 11:25 AM

I can’t believe an NFL locker room does not have private showers. The locker room at my gym has private showers so I can shower without putting on a show for all the closeted married guys who like to linger and lurk. Why wouldn’t an NFL locker room provide this same privacy to those who want it?

70. thefatlazygamer says: Aug 27, 2014 11:29 AM

I hope he gets cut just so I can turn on ESPN and NFL Network and not hear about these kinds of things. I mean jesus they act like there was never a gay player before. I’m sure there has been more than a couple.

71. TheWizard says: Aug 27, 2014 11:33 AM

I’m not on board with all this “gay rights” business, but I can’t understand anybody being uncomfortable with showering in a locker room with a gay male present.

That’s a “you” problem, not a gay problem.

72. dfried119 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:33 AM

not cool espn. fine and suspend yourselves please!!!!

73. 80sbroncofan says: Aug 27, 2014 11:35 AM

Very unprofessional of espn. Media people are the only ones that care about this.

74. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 27, 2014 11:38 AM

It’s ironic that the network that tries so hard to make sure the gay NFL player is treated the same, doesn’t treat his NFL experience the same. It’s crazy.

75. r8rsfan says: Aug 27, 2014 11:56 AM

ESPN hasn’t been a credible source of objective sports reporting for years now. The slide into irrelevancy continutes, and judging by the other comments, seems to be gaining momentum.

76. wheels579 says: Aug 27, 2014 12:22 PM

Outside the Ethical Lines…

77. cfballfan1 says: Aug 27, 2014 12:43 PM

In other news: ESPN apologizes for the sorry state that they have devolved into.

78. bakeberryjam says: Aug 27, 2014 12:59 PM

Kinda shows you the people ESPN hires — some real politically correct integrity there…

79. inverva says: Aug 27, 2014 1:04 PM

Tawdry and salacious storytelling is all that ESPN is about these days. Each day the network stoops to newer lows and becomes more irrelevant. They need to cut their staff in half then focus on the things in sports that really matter.

80. MDRaider says: Aug 27, 2014 1:19 PM

ESPN’s NHRA Drag Racing coverage isn’t too bad…..that’s about it…

81. gayforbrady says: Aug 27, 2014 1:24 PM

If you were straight dude and showering with 52 other girls how would they feel?

82. melikefootball says: Aug 27, 2014 2:51 PM

Why I stopped watching ESPN, they feel they can apologize for anything and all is forgiven. They are a station full of non accountable journalists.

83. chimpydork says: Aug 27, 2014 3:30 PM

I’m surprised ESPN hasn’t mentioned “dropping the soap.”

I stopped watching espn 2 years ago. Looks like I made the right choice.

84. thegonz13 says: Aug 27, 2014 3:41 PM

This is yet another reason why the season can’t start soon enough. The media has so little to talk about that they fill airtime with this kind of garbage.

The reporter should get a stiff kick in the butt, but her bosses should get kicked even harder for authorizing this.

85. zygizag says: Aug 27, 2014 5:42 PM

I think the NFL should fine ESPN.

86. TheWizard says: Aug 27, 2014 7:36 PM

Guess where he’s gonna be working if he gets cut.

87. jaimejaxx says: Sep 2, 2014 5:49 PM

The sad fact regarding this reporter is that without the double minority privileges she exploits she would not have a job.