Falcons’ special teams coach blows a gasket on Hard Knocks

keitharmstrong Getty Images

In an ordinary workplace, a boss who screams obscenities into the faces of his underlings would not be tolerated. One of the lessons that HBO’s Hard Knocks has taught us through the years is that an NFL team is not an ordinary workplace.

On Tuesday night’s episode, Falcons special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong lit into several players with a string of profanity and nasty insults.

“Who do you think you are? The game don’t mean enough to you, and that’s very f–king apparent,” Armstrong told one player during a film session. “You better wake up and get your pride in the game. Go out there and play like s–t? The s–t was coached the right way! I don’t want any excuses, selfish ass. What the hell is this? Look at this crap. Are you kidding me?”

As the team reviewed tape of a blocked punt, Armstrong exploded.

“It ain’t OK to go around here and not know. That ain’t cute. It ain’t OK. Really don’t care. That’s as selfish an act as you can make. Grow the f–k up,” Armstrong said.

Two rookie defensive linemen were singled out for poor play on the field goal unit. Armstrong told Jacques Smith, “You do what I tell you to do. You understand, Smith? You ain’t good enough to be an asshole. Do you understand that? Do you understand that?” And Armstrong told Ra’shede Hageman, “Do you start on defense? No. So what you going to do, sit your ass on the sidelines and watch the goddam game? We got enough people around here doing that s–t. Ain’t important to you.”

Armstrong made a point of explaining to the players that when he’s disappointed with them, he’ll tell them to their faces, “one man talking to another man.”

That’s fine, but Armstrong’s tirade raises some questions about where, exactly, the line is when coaches are addressing their players. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell made respect the theme when he opened the owners’ meeting in March. Goodell’s emphasis on respect was a direct result of the situation that unfolded in Miami last year, when Jonathan Martin decided to leave the team because he couldn’t take the way he was being treated in the locker room anymore. Richie Incognito may be wondering why he was suspended and treated like the NFL’s worst villain last year for his unkind treatment of Martin, while Armstrong can insult players with impunity.

Permalink 105 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
105 Responses to “Falcons’ special teams coach blows a gasket on Hard Knocks”
  1. Stiller43 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:55 AM

oh my god…QUIT IT. THIS IS NOT AN OFFICE JOB!

2. kneelbeforesod says: Aug 27, 2014 9:56 AM

Remember this, because it’s the most passion you’ll see all season from the Atlanta Falcons.

3. jazsrt says: Aug 27, 2014 9:57 AM

1. These players are coddled throughout their entire last year of college ball.

2. A gut check is required to get them in check.

3. If you watched the whole episode, it worked.

4. enkay85 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:57 AM

Oh goodness don’t start on this. Stop being so freaking sensitive, there is no line. They are athletes being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars MINIMUM (if they make the team). Coaches can holler all they want. It’s a high pressure high stakes environment.

5. gayforbrady says: Aug 27, 2014 9:58 AM

Richie Incognito’s only crime was to use the “N” WORD. He has never been arrested since being in the NFL compared to 527 other player since 2005. Including 2 for manslaughter and Vick.

Who is worse ray rice or incognito?

6. asimonetti88 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:59 AM

omg get over it

7. skippynj says: Aug 27, 2014 9:59 AM

OMG! If the falcons special teams suck this year, they may win only 2 or 3 games instead of the the mighty 4-12 record they posted last year.

8. ifartinbed says: Aug 27, 2014 10:00 AM

Are you serious? I would trade my day job to be cussed out and make WAY more than i do now being cussed out.

9. cranialdisturbance says: Aug 27, 2014 10:00 AM

I wonder if this coach will get Incognito’d. He’s different than Richie though. I can’t put my finger on it, Yes, something is different so I’m sure he won’t get the Incognito treatment.

10. kaspauf says: Aug 27, 2014 10:00 AM

There is more fight in those statements than the whole Falcons D (LB’s being the one bright spot).

11. legionofboom88 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:02 AM

You hear that sound off in the distance? It’s the sound of hundreds of feelings police coming to their keyboards…

12. Bob says: Aug 27, 2014 10:02 AM

“An NFL meeting room may never look like an ordinary workplace, but NFL players do have the right to be treated respectfully. Armstrong treated his players with something less than respect.”

Are you serious? Do you think this kind of coaching doesn’t go on in the other 31 NFL locker rooms?

13. gatherspeed says: Aug 27, 2014 10:02 AM

I thought it was great (and I’m not a Falcons fan).

What is becoming of our society when people are upset about this.

When I was a teenager and got in trouble, my Dad spoke to me like this (several times).

Now that I’m a 44 year old adult, I’m successful and I’ve always had a great relationship with my Dad.

All he is trying to do is get them to be the best they can be and help them MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. He was speaking the truth.

Non-story.

14. andyreidsskinnyjeans says: Aug 27, 2014 10:04 AM

Incognito/Martin chapter 2.

15. fwippel says: Aug 27, 2014 10:05 AM

Be careful. Chris Kluwe is watching.

16. pwcis says: Aug 27, 2014 10:05 AM

Coaches can’t yell at their players anymore? Is Hard Knocks airing on the Disney Channel?

Our high school coaches went off on worse tirades than that.

- Not Uncle Rico

17. corchamp says: Aug 27, 2014 10:05 AM

Yeah! And drill instructors in boot camp need to be nice too! How can they expecting anyone to preform in such stressful situations?! These poor football players…who is going to look out for them? They DESERVE respect.

18. nullaereale says: Aug 27, 2014 10:06 AM

A part of me agrees with your respect argument. But the other part of me understands why the special teams coach did what he did. He is trying to get the best out of his players and if some of these guys dont turn things around not only will they not be playing for the Falcons–they won’t be playing in the NFL. He’s saving some of these guys hundreds of thousands of dollars that they wont be making if they dont make it as a pro.

19. chad504boy says: Aug 27, 2014 10:07 AM

This story is out of control.

20. timbuttrum says: Aug 27, 2014 10:08 AM

Pay me over $300k/year and you can say/scream whatever you want to me.

21. jghs38 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:11 AM

Ha! My old high school coach was worse than that and the principal wouldn’t give a rats @ss. This is football, some people are more motivated than others and sometimes things like this happen, they’re men, I think they can handle getting yelled at.

22. apisabeast says: Aug 27, 2014 10:11 AM

He should be embarrassed how he treated those guys. The great coaches are great teachers. They use mistakes as teaching moments, not an opportunity to call a guy out in front of his teammates. I am not saying that the guy shouldn’t have been called out, but there is much more effective ways to coach and motivate players.

23. kevjones75 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:12 AM

Based on what I’ve seen on Hard Knocks this year, Atlanta is going to have a very long year. I think they had so much success early on despite Mike Smith. Matt Ryan, on the other hand, might make a decent coach someday. The current season has not been very good.

24. footballfan says: Aug 27, 2014 10:12 AM

I am starting to think that most sports reporters are just guys who got kicked off the high school team and want to get back at the coaches for it. Another useless story.

25. seattlecvd says: Aug 27, 2014 10:13 AM

Are you serious?

These guys are going to be getting paid at a MINIMUM close to $500k per year. That is a salary that only few executives make in the office world. So, your comparison to an office environment is way off.

I watched the Hard Knocks last night and I can tell you this: having worked directly for the CEO of a large company (30,0000 FTE) making less than half what these guys will get, this was not all that different than some of the tirades me and my colleagues would receive on a regular basis.

Higher pay should mean higher expectation, which means getting called out when you are not producing. Did you notice how those guys responded?

26. themagicfanguy says: Aug 27, 2014 10:14 AM

STOP acting like playing football is like working in an office, it isn’t. You are literally ruining the greatest sport ever.

27. nosleeptilsb says: Aug 27, 2014 10:14 AM

So how exactly do Pete Carroll and the Cheathawks fit into this? The trolls will tell us shortly.

28. monsterofyourgirlsmidway says: Aug 27, 2014 10:15 AM

Stretching for a story here.. If you don’t wanna hear bad language then don’t watch HBO

29. xbam1 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:18 AM

Sounds to me like the Falcons should hire Incognito as their O Line coach!

30. texansdude says: Aug 27, 2014 10:19 AM

They should also sue the coaches that pat them on the bottom when they do something right. I mean, if we’re really going to get stupid here.

31. seatownballers says: Aug 27, 2014 10:20 AM

One player might have gotten his feelings hurt, for failing to do his job correctly, then being told how bad he is at his job

32. texansdan says: Aug 27, 2014 10:20 AM

The difference is that with Martin, the disrespect was with him being called “weirdo” and being bullied about how he acted. Falcons we’re yelling about performance on the field, not getting personal. Big difference. They should get yelled at if they have a poor performance. It obviously worked, if you saw the end of the show.

33. worldwargbp says: Aug 27, 2014 10:21 AM

I think Mark Cuban may not be as crazy as he sounded when he mentioned the NFL would be it’s own worst enemy and would rapidly decline over the next decade plus. As much as I love all the access provided as a fan, I believe it’s hurting the league. Stories like this that try to make bigger issues out of what should be a private team meeting, by reporters that wouldn’t even have a job if the NFL wasn’t around or as popular as it is are deteriorating the sport faster than anyone could imagine. For anyone that played organized sports, outbursts like these tend to bring a team together. It lights fires under guys who may not be giving 100% and also puts on the table what many on the team are probably thinking. You’re part of the team and are expected to give your all for the overall good of the team, and the fact is some give more than others.There isn’t another job in the world that this kind of tactic would WORK for and comparing this to an office job is absurd. This is football, which used to be thought of as a tough guy sport and is rapidly growing away from that. The hitting is gone, the physical play (all the pre-season interference/illegal contact fouls) is getting out of hand, and now people look for “bullying” situations or coaches being too hard on players. It’s sad really, but it’s slowly turning me off. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

34. dvdman123 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:21 AM

Then they should change the name of the show to “Soft Knocks”.

35. livingstone0008 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:22 AM

With articles like this you wonder why teams fight so hard not to have Hard Knocks around their training camp.

“You want the truth! You can’t handle the truth!”

36. salmen76 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:22 AM

What else do you expect from the scrub Falcons? They’ll be lucky to win 4 games again this year. LOL! Geaux Saints!

37. jjgautreaux says: Aug 27, 2014 10:22 AM

It’s just the failcons trying to get some attention. Can’t wait to continue owning them on September 7th.

38. calhounlambeau says: Aug 27, 2014 10:22 AM

STOP RUINING FOOTBALL.

39. pillowporkers says: Aug 27, 2014 10:24 AM

Ted Wells, you have a call on line 2.

40. ytrappin504 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:25 AM

I wouldn’t mind getting yelled at for 500k. These grown man children are playing football so quit with the P. C. And let some instill discipline

41. isitheshoes says: Aug 27, 2014 10:27 AM

For as soft as this team can become during the season, this is exactly what they need.

42. chrisk61 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:28 AM

jonathan martin incident #2 is brewin’ in atl.

falcons will stink again.

43. bullcharger says: Aug 27, 2014 10:28 AM

If you take any company’s CEO, C level execs and senior VPs and put them in a room, it sounds about the same. The rules in a normal organization go out the window when it is the highest level of competition for millions of dollars.

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

44. jwcarlson says: Aug 27, 2014 10:28 AM

I’d LOVE to see some of you guys come work in a factory for ten minutes.

45. harrisonhits2 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:30 AM

I’ve had plenty of bosses that screamed obscenities at me over the years, so please don’t pretend that is not a normal happening in workplaces all over the US.

As fas as the coach screaming at the players – Oh noes oh noes the poor players might have their feelings hurt. I think they’ll be hurt a lot more by not being motivated enough to make the team and getting cut.

The wussification of America continues.

46. chargerdillon says: Aug 27, 2014 10:32 AM

Actually using the “N” word is not a crime. And if it were there would be a lot more “N” words arrested for using said “N” word far more than anybody else.

The only real crime that was committed was fraud by Jonathan Martin.

47. Stupid Lions Fan says: Aug 27, 2014 10:32 AM

My high school coach talked to us like that. And we were volunteers.

48. uglydingo says: Aug 27, 2014 10:33 AM

Keith Armstrong has been a successful Special Teams Coach in the NFL for many years. I swear profusely but was genuinely surprised by the segment on Hard Knocks. While Mike Smith comes across as a fairly friendly experienced Head Coach, there was no doubt that the tough, crude, ruthless guy on his coaching staff is Armstrong. He went over a players mistake again and again and again and again in front of the team not just to embarrass the player, but to belittle and send a message to all players.
    The Commissioner is probably disgusted by the segment and Armstrong may be in trouble but I could actually see Armstrong becoming a Head Coach because he has such a dominating personality. He makes Bill Parcells and Jim Harbaugh look like a kind and warm human beings.

49. leatherface2012 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:33 AM

if i was the player getting yelled at, i would say “umm hey coach, who makes more per year? me or you? then be quiet, i’m planning my tahitian vacation”

50. edavidberg says: Aug 27, 2014 10:34 AM

I wish Keith was back on the Bears. We always had solid special teams when he was here.

If you think bosses in offices don’t do stuff much, much more abusive I don’t know what to tell you.

51. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Aug 27, 2014 10:37 AM

Please tell me that Americans haven’t gotten so soft that this is seen as a real problem…

52. renocarolina says: Aug 27, 2014 10:38 AM

This article is exhibit A why I am happy to see the failcons on hard knocks and happy the Panthers find a way to stay off the program.

53. mrlaloosh says: Aug 27, 2014 10:39 AM

If I got paid hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars you could beat me with a two by four. Just make sure my check is on time.
    Welcome to capitalism.

54. squashyjoshy says: Aug 27, 2014 10:41 AM

And you wonder why no team wants to be on this show.

55. steelerdynasty2010 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:42 AM

are we gonna go all high school and ban cussing in the NFL too?

56. jmurph024 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:43 AM

What do you want the coach to do? The guys failed miserably at their protection jobs on special teams. He buried them.

And what did they do in the next game? It was fixed.

Looked like solid coaching to me. Please, anyone who thinks this coach went over the top is a wimp.

God, I remember the days when men were men. What happened?

57. johnnylujack says: Aug 27, 2014 10:43 AM

Seems totally fair considering the line of work and pay involved. I’ll say this though: Armstrong coached special teams for the Bears, originally on Wannstedt’s staff. Whether it was a good play or a bad one, his reaction on the sideline always seemed waaay over the top. Passionate, yes. But maybe beyond the point of being in control of himself. To me, he seemed like a really ambitious high school coach. A few years after Armstrong left, they hired Dave Toub and that’s when the special teams got really good.

58. skittlesareyum says: Aug 27, 2014 10:45 AM

I just checked my employee handbook (I work an office job) and there is nothing about not using obscenities. There’s just the usual stuff about not harassing people. Just swearing at someone while you tell them they aren’t doing a good enough job would not fall under a hostile work environment or be harassment.

59. phiddysent says: Aug 27, 2014 10:45 AM

Good Lord! So we want warriors on the playing field, but princesses in the locker rooms and practice fields? How exactly do you propose they flip that switch? Is someone forcing these guys to play collegiate and professional football? No! They know what they’re signing up for….just as soldiers, law enforcement officers and fire fighters know what they’re signing up for. Nobody holds a gun to anyone’s head in the USA and forces them to take a job.

60. seanpbeck says: Aug 27, 2014 10:45 AM

Give me a break. From the looks of it, the players who were producing and doing what was asked of them were treated with respect. The ones who weren’t were called out in hopes of getting them to take more pride in what they do and correct the behavior. Respect is earned. This not an apples vs. apples situation in regard to the Dolphins at all. Am I missing the deleted scene where the Falcons coach calls someone a half N-word and jokes about raping female members of his family?

61. reesesteel23 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:48 AM

We got cursed out for just waking up in the moring at boot camp. Boot camp was longer than Training camp. Don’t feel sorry for them.

62. jdmv240 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:49 AM

I’m a chef, I’m an owner/operator, you don’t want to work for any professional chef if you don’t like yelling directed towards you. Gordon Ramsey is a bit over the top, but not by much.

My guys are making peanuts compared to NFL athletes. I yell but would also do anything for them because without them I’d be nothing.

Non-Issue

63. bertilfox says: Aug 27, 2014 10:49 AM

…another “Right” discovered by the media! New rights equals litigation for those who cross the line. It’s inevitable. In the future, Keith Armstrong will be sued for his transgressions.

64. jmac1013 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:50 AM

I love how people act like swearing and tirades aren’t part of “normal” occupations.

I’ve made mistakes during my career and I’ve been chewed for some of them. I never went home crying.

We have to stop acting like sissies.

65. Dogsweat says: Aug 27, 2014 10:50 AM

Lord Kaep is displeased with his behavior.

66. tonypsfl says: Aug 27, 2014 10:58 AM

I know Keith personally from playing golf with him at our club. He is a great guy. If he blew a gasket at these players, they very likely deserved it.

67. runwright44 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:04 AM

I was totally mesmerized by that scene so much so that I replayed it 4 times before watching the rest of the show. Not only was it great TV, but brought memories of things that happened in the locker room when I played high school football.

68. upperdecker19 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:07 AM

I have no issues with this coach’s conduct…

Regards,
    Patches O’Houlihan

69. bertilfox says: Aug 27, 2014 11:13 AM

Who decides what is or is not “disrespectful”? Is it disrespectful to allow some to wallow in ignorance while others get swiftly with the program? Isn’t it better to provide some verbal cold water in the grill of the non conformer rather than to enable further deterioration of the unit? They will not be harmed by this. It will help make them better and they’ll be ultimately grateful. That would garner respect from both sides. If you want men, let them be treated as men. Bill Parcells would chuckle at this article. Ditka would scoff.

70. hjb99992013 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:17 AM

I have had 2 bosses much worse than this in “real life” jobs

In 1 ear and out the other, as long as the cheque on Fri didnt bounce, I could give a rats arse how loud they screamed

71. finsbooyah says: Aug 27, 2014 11:21 AM

Stop unnecessarily stirring the pot…

What ever happened to personal responsibility? These men are professionals making enormous salaries compared to middle class America. In fact, in order to be considered in the 1%, you would have to make roughly $480,000 a year. If I’m not mistaken, that’s basically every member of the 53 man roster for every NFL team. Someone needs to hold them accountable for when they aren’t doing their job.

If a coach needs to yell and use profanity, so be it. My high school coach blew hip top numerous times, and I never went home crying to my parents. I’ve had bosses lose their minds, and I never had the option (or even considered) of filing a law suit.

Screaming coaches is part of sports. Always has been and always will be, unless the out of control media, and “poor me” apologists continue to cry about anything that makes them uncomfortable.

72. snoop24 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:23 AM

Let’s just play flag football and have the mom’s coach. We will give everybody a trophy at the end and all will be happy.

What a joke.

73. ragnarthemagnificent says: Aug 27, 2014 11:27 AM

No surprise Ra’shede Hageman was called out. Not the first time, won’t be the last.

74. In Teddy We Trust says: Aug 27, 2014 11:29 AM

I’m sure this is the way it is for most teams, but Mike Priefer gets suspended for making a joke that isn’t politically correct.

75. thefatlazygamer says: Aug 27, 2014 11:32 AM

This is exactly what the game needs. You need to weed out the weak and those who only care about money. A team can’t win with them. Don’t want them.

76. kevinb73 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:32 AM

Its articles like this crying about some men getting yelled at for not doing their jobs that undermine the hard work and discipline that used to make this country strong and proud. We need more people who care and have passion for what they do.

I am thankful for people in my life that crawled my butt to make me a better person. I don’t know where I would be without them.

Harassment is a totally different from what is happening here.

77. realfootballfan says: Aug 27, 2014 11:36 AM

I don’t exactly know how this correlates to the Incognito nonsense and all the people still trying to make him out to be some kind of innocent victim when he was just as complicit in the horrible Dolphin situation as Martin who seemed to orchestrate his exit from Miami. Armstrong is just going hard on his players, which is part of the job description unless you get a Tony Dungy type as your coach. He was 1000% right on everything he said.

78. 76ersdoubletank says: Aug 27, 2014 11:37 AM

All I can say is this. When your business is basically featuring all millionaires or upper middle class induviduals, then you won’t and should not have an “ordinary” workplace.

You know why I don’t take that abuse from my boss? Becuase i’m making 38k per year, living paycheck to paycheck.

If I were making the practice squad minimum in the NFL, I’d be fine taking extra abuse, knowing the benefits that come along with it.

That being said, I don’t hear most players complaining. They seem to get it. The media and players union seems to want to drum up this sort of sport to office job equality. We always want things to be equal in this country when someone in power knows it will benefit them, either in good standing or control. The NFL does not have to be equal, and this sort of tirade is probably exactly what Rashede needed to hear after loafing in Minnesota during his college career.

79. rcali says: Aug 27, 2014 11:37 AM

Why do I feel the NFL will be doing a lot more preview of what they are showing to the consumer? Just don’t look at how we make the sausage…right NFL?

80. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 27, 2014 11:44 AM

I watched it and it was quite a dress down from the special teams coach. Enough to make Rex Ryan’s “let’s go eat a snack” speech on Hard Knocks, look sensitive.

81. jamin67 says: Aug 27, 2014 11:47 AM

OMG please. What are we gonna be talking about next? Participation medals for all the players who don’t win the Super Bowl? Man the hell up.

82. huskylawyer says: Aug 27, 2014 11:58 AM

Armstrong’s rant worked. The Falcons special teams units played lights out the game after the tirade.

83. tangovader says: Aug 27, 2014 12:05 PM

I have no problem with coaches calling out players but I do have a problem when they go overboard with these ‘faux-Dennis Green style’ meltdown/rants just because there’s a camera in the room. When coaches have to light into a player, it should be ‘team only’, not a youtube moment. It was clear to me at least, that this coach and Brian Cox were also playing to the camera’s somewhat to elevate their own profiles at the player’s expense. The fans don’t have to see everything. Sometimes, you need to close the doors, lock the reporters out and handle team business. Save the cameras for the practice field and coaches discussions.

84. chemicaltoilet says: Aug 27, 2014 12:05 PM

I dont really agree with his tactics but hey, it worked in their 3rd preseason game. He has the right to be pissed off because its his job to have their special teams ready to play and if he isnt doing his job, hes going to be the one getting fired.

85. grayone77 says: Aug 27, 2014 12:08 PM

Awww, do some players need a hug? How about a grief counselor?

86. guitarkevin says: Aug 27, 2014 12:13 PM

Did he leak any fuel?

87. h8glazersgobucs says: Aug 27, 2014 12:26 PM

Incognito left death treats with extreme prejudice on a voicemail. It is a bit different.

88. helicopterpilot13 says: Aug 27, 2014 12:35 PM

Sounds like the coach isn’t get his message across, so maybe HE will be the one without a job in the end!

89. tvguy22 says: Aug 27, 2014 12:37 PM

LOL. Bullying.

90. jimmypx says: Aug 27, 2014 12:42 PM

People complaining about this is silly. He never attacked the players person just their performance. He did this because it is his job to motivate them. Some people do well with a pep talk and others need a kick in the butt. Anyone who has ever been a boss knows this. The coach also did this because he cares about the players and wants them to be successful. Would it have been better if he said nothing and just cut them ??

91. bengalskuta82 says: Aug 27, 2014 12:42 PM

I dont like this. This is like bullying. Singling out guys by naming them on camera. These are kids. That coach thinks that by abusing those players will make them better players and better men?
    This is just classless Coaching. Not fun and not entertaining at all.

92. usmc47 says: Aug 27, 2014 12:52 PM

All of you defending Incognito, explain your defense of a guy who put a golf club between a woman’s legs at a team charity event. I’ll wait.

93. godofwine330 says: Aug 27, 2014 1:15 PM

When people not doing their jobs can end up costing you your job I would be yelling, too. These players were slacking and he called them out. I was in the Navy for 12 years (95-07) and I see nothing wrong with swearing. This world has gone soft.

94. genericuser8888 says: Aug 27, 2014 1:32 PM

I’ve seen Sean Payton cuss the equipment manager worse than that for simply forgetting his Juicy Fruit.

Steve Jobs used to cuss his employees like dogs. There are legends about this.

I’m not saying it’s “right,” but if used in conjunction with great leadership, it does tend to get results.

I’ve had my fair share of cussings. The thing is, they don’t really bother me anymore. What would bother me is that I let my “coach” down. It would upset me more than my boss is that upset because of me. The cussing itself wouldn’t mean crap to me.

95. afcdomination says: Aug 27, 2014 1:34 PM

best moment in hard knocks history. this was GREAT. bullying? he didn’t attack anyone, he got them to stop cutting corners. and it WORKED.

96. trdiii says: Aug 27, 2014 1:39 PM

That was the single best Hard Knocks segment (non Cromartie) ever.

97. damcmp says: Aug 27, 2014 2:43 PM

Goodell is turning the NFL into the NPL… yep

98. wvuandsteelers says: Aug 27, 2014 3:18 PM

Hageman deserves it. Still wish Falcons had taken Austin Seffarian-Jenkins instead.

99. dietrich43 says: Aug 27, 2014 4:02 PM

I’ve had worse said to me in an office environment. It doesn’t mean it’s appropriate, but it also doesn’t mean Armstrong is out of line.

100. mdsayre says: Aug 27, 2014 4:46 PM

OMG, when did this soft pattycake attitude and view of the NFL world take over? Please stop. Seriously.

101. VenerableAxiom says: Aug 27, 2014 5:41 PM

Micheal David Smith, I take it you never played any organized male team sports.

102. phonesringingdude1 says: Aug 27, 2014 5:46 PM

Oh come off the soft, feeling addled approach. Next you’ll go after military drill sergeants.

103. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 27, 2014 10:24 PM

Just started to watch this now and just didn’t care for all that negative energy. I didn’t get how that was a productive coaching moment.

104. justalonewolf says: Aug 28, 2014 4:26 PM

it’s not like he is panning to the camera, yes? ya think??? yeah right.

105. natelan says: Sep 2, 2014 4:34 AM

Not sure how good a coach this guy is, but he’s easily the dumbest person ever put in front of a camera.