Vick, Cooper are “all good” after offseason snub

rs_560x415-130731200656-1024.VickCooper.ms.073113_copy AP

As the Jets prepare to end the preseason with a low-travel-cost trip to Philly, Mike Vick will return to the place where he spent five NFL seasons.  He recently told Ian O’Connor of ESPN New York that Vick’s proudest moment as a professional athlete came with the Eagles a year ago, when he defused the Riley Cooper situation.

Specifically, Vick stood up for and spoke out on behalf of Cooper, after he was caught on camera using a racial slur at a Kenny Chesney concert.

Guys were mad at me for a while,” Vick said of his Eagles teammates.  “They were upset with me for a day or two, like six or seven guys who were just like, ‘Really, how could you do that?’ And then I’m getting phone calls from people everywhere, and my Twitter page is kind of in an uproar. But I took that stand for him, man, and I just hope at the end of the day that he appreciates that.

“I just hope he’s [appreciative] of my boldness to step out in front of the world and say what I said, and he appreciates what I did and understands the magnitude of it, because nobody else was going to step up and say anything. I could’ve said the same thing that 25 of my teammates were saying, and there was built-up anger.”

Some apparent anger built up for Vick in the offseason, after Cooper signed a new contract to stay in Philly, thanks in large part to the fact that Vick helped take the sting out of Cooper’s comments.

“A couple of things transpired since [the incident] that I dislike, and I’ll be honest with you,” Vick told O’Connor.  “After he signed his contract, I sent him a text and I never got a text back, and that made me feel a certain type of way.  But I’m not the type of guy who holds grudges.”

If Vick were a guy who held a grudge, it’s all been resolved.  Via Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, a Vick spokesman said Vick and Cooper have spoken today, and that they “are all good.”

Regardless, Vick’s comments should that the Cooper situation easily could have imploded both for the player and for the team, and that Vick had an important role in keeping it all together.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
43 Responses to “Vick, Cooper are “all good” after offseason snub”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Aug 27, 2014 7:46 PM

So there’s no problem here then? Ok nice work by Michael Vick, what else is going on?

2. posmoo says: Aug 27, 2014 7:49 PM

I love the vick story. he is the prodigal son. wish nothing but the best.

3. sumkat says: Aug 27, 2014 7:50 PM

Vick was a stand up guy, and a great teammate in that spot last year. No doubt

He loses most of that credit, expecting credit for it

4. truthfactory says: Aug 27, 2014 7:50 PM

My respect for Vick has been growing year by year.

5. craniator says: Aug 27, 2014 8:08 PM

If you’re going to do something for someone , just do it — don’t do it with strings attached. Cooper probably gets dozens of texts a day and may never have seen Vick’s text.

6. gayforbrady says: Aug 27, 2014 8:11 PM

The person Michael Vick owes the most to is Ray Rice.

7. scorpio4840 says: Aug 27, 2014 8:24 PM

Riley didn’t return his text and his feelings were hurt. Okay moving on.

8. 4thqtrsaint says: Aug 27, 2014 8:48 PM

I don’t think Vick did it “with strings attached”. But when someone goes to bat for you, its common decency to at least say thank you. And don’t give me the crap about Riley not getting his text. That’s an excuse to be an a-hole.

9. watermelon1 says: Aug 27, 2014 8:49 PM

Still can’t believe the jets are going to play geno over Vick. Rex is determined to have an offense as ugly as it was when he was in Baltimore.

Such a masochist.

10. corkspop says: Aug 27, 2014 8:50 PM

All Mike Vick has done is……. everything that has been asked of him. Pro.

11. jharmon64 says: Aug 27, 2014 9:11 PM

It’s about a week or two til kickoff of the season.

Why are we discussing last years news?

12. mrhoban says: Aug 27, 2014 9:12 PM

Vick didn’t just kinda help him out. He’s absolutely entitled to be a little irked and apparently not above forgiveness.

Imagine if all the people who hate him could be capable of the same.

13. stoptrippn says: Aug 27, 2014 9:34 PM

Riley owes him a call.

14. dontouchmyjunk says: Aug 27, 2014 9:47 PM

There’s something called appreciation. There’s also something known as basic manners. One would have thought a person like Riley Cooper, born into a relatively wealthy family, was raised with an understanding of these basic tenets of civility. Instead, the poor country boy has developed more of both than the rich, privileged one. Go figure.

15. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Aug 27, 2014 9:52 PM

So what mike vick is really saying here is the brothers on the team aint cool with forgiving a white man !

16. robmoze says: Aug 27, 2014 9:53 PM

I don’t care what anyone says…….Vick is ok in my book!!

17. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 27, 2014 9:55 PM

Vick handled it the grown up, non- PC way.
    Tons of respect for him with that move.
    Zero respect for him in most other ways he’s conducted himself.
    Not that he cares…

18. pantherfan40 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:31 PM

I wonder what marcus vick is thinking about this

19. phillyfan21 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:36 PM

Vick was a leader in the locker room during that time, no question, but to say he saved Coopers career is a stretch.

Fact of the matter is when Vick was the QB very few passes came Coopers way. What saved Coopers career was Nick Foles taking over.

Once that happened Cooper became much more involved and we all got to see his potential.

The real question for me is why did Vick not thrown him the ball, is it because of what he said? If so did Vick really have the teams best interest at heart?

20. corky2141 says: Aug 27, 2014 10:40 PM

Just thinking out loud here, but if the NFL sets up all these preseason week 4 games as a cost cutting measure, why the H3LL am I paying $85 a freaking ticket?

21. chipperkelly says: Aug 27, 2014 10:40 PM

Prime example of what’s bugged me about Vick over the last 5 years. The guy can’t stop talking about himself. He never had the humbleness needed to be a great QB.

22. dgreenfi says: Aug 27, 2014 10:41 PM

Can’t wait for the follow up story: Cooper texts back “Thanks”.

23. officialgame says: Aug 27, 2014 10:42 PM

It’s just an on again of again bromance.

24. cassrangers says: Aug 27, 2014 10:59 PM

Love him or hate him, his NFL life story is one for the ages. I can’t recall anyone going from rags to riches to rags to riches. Unbelievable really. The guy has earned everything he has, even the prison time for interstate gambling and dog fighting, everything. It’s an amazing story.

25. gopblows says: Aug 27, 2014 11:04 PM

He didn’t get a text because Cooper’s true colorcame out after he didn’t need vick anymore.

26. patriotsarespygaters says: Aug 27, 2014 11:11 PM

man the league has gone soft and sensitive …take it how you want it….

27. gopblows says: Aug 27, 2014 11:15 PM

Cooper should give that money to Djax for drawing the double coverage leaving Cooper with single coverage.

Not this season. He will regress again.

28. daveshingle says: Aug 27, 2014 11:36 PM

Yeah I agree with the guy who said if you are going to do something for someone just do it. Going around making a big deal about it makes you look like you did it for attention!

29. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Aug 27, 2014 11:44 PM

I can’t wait to see how much of a consummate pro and role model Mike Vick is when his career doesn’t depend on it.

I’ve said it from the time he was reinstated. Don’t judge whether he is a “changed man” while he is still fishing for game checks. Let’s see how “changed” he is when his career is over and his income is no longer determined by his behavior.

30. philipdebin says: Aug 28, 2014 12:11 AM

Michael Vick… Philanthropist.

31. Big Blue On You says: Aug 28, 2014 12:58 AM

Riley Cooper probably turned off his Twitter account at that time. I’m sure he was not getting the most positive feedback then.

32. fishfan39 says: Aug 28, 2014 3:46 AM

Well what was he going to say especially in light of the fact that he did 22 months in jail for not only fighting but torturing dogs as well? Was he really going to say that Cooper didn’t deserve a second chance?

33. vicnocal says: Aug 28, 2014 4:01 AM

People text too damn much, and it always leads to hurt feelings when someone doesn’t reply right back to a text they might not have even seen.

Here’s an idea: Why not dial the number and actually TALK on the phone?

34. awm7353 says: Aug 28, 2014 6:31 AM

What it shows me is Vick is professional and mature, is willing to unite instead of divide.

35. idpfantasyfootball says: Aug 28, 2014 7:42 AM

Vick should sic his dogs on Cooper… Give him a real reason to “climb the fence”…

36. justjay128 says: Aug 28, 2014 9:05 AM

Never was a Mike Vick fan before he became an Eagle. Quite frankly, while I was excited about the possibility of what he could do, I was not much of a fan when he came to Philly. And I def. didn’t think he could lead my team to a Super Bowl either. But seeing him grow, and become the leader, the activist and the guy he is today…It’s been very unique and special. He’s the perfect example for people that constantly want to bury people who make mistakes. You can change and you can turn your life around. And I’m proud of him as a fan and a human. Congrats Mike! Wish him nothing but the best

37. harveyredman says: Aug 28, 2014 9:22 AM

Dude payed his debt to society – in full.

He lost his livelihood for a time, was jailed and humiliated in front of the world. He was/is the target of much animosity and hatred – rightfully so… But it does seem he has grown from that awful experience he put himself through.

Some/many need to be brought to their knees before they can change.

38. junebugslade1977 says: Aug 28, 2014 9:23 AM

I really like Vick’s turnaround. I applaud it. But he seems to always point out how great he is. I’m not sure how much humility he really has. I remember reading last year after he visited a sick kid in the hospital that it was the greatest day of the KID’s life. He means well, he just hasn’t put it all together yet.

39. 23rdusernameused says: Aug 28, 2014 9:29 AM

7 DAYS TIL KICKOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CAN ANYONE SAY “HELL YES!!!!!!!”?!?!?!?!

40. khenien says: Aug 28, 2014 11:00 AM

He turned his life around and I appreciate that but my god does this guy like to pat himself on the back in public. Look at me! Look what I did! “I hope he’s appreciative of my boldness” blah blah blah. Kind of takes away from it when you talk about yourself like that. Why not say something about how you got a second chance and felt he did too. Instead he focused on how great he is. Dude is still a dbag. Maybe he’s turned his life around and is clean but still a dbag.

41. s0merand0mguy says: Aug 28, 2014 11:02 AM

Cooper will not regress he still looks sharp as a tack. Desean Jackson was not always double teamed leaving Riley in single coverage. If you look up “best of riley cooper 2013-2014″ you will see him destroying double coverage with power and speed. This guys a stud… hate all you want!

42. kelz1966kelz1966 says: Aug 28, 2014 3:19 PM

%Vick…
    He never lived up to the hype coming out of college. Never took his team anywhere in the playoffs, and is now on the decline.

This is a team game, and he never had any team success.

He did not get the starting job, and is not in the spot light with his new team, so he is trying to get attention by starting crap with his old team.

He should thank Cooper for last year. If cooper did not screw up, Vick would not have been the starter last year coming out of training camp.

Foles ran the offence more smoothly and consistently than Vick. Vick had more flashy plays.
    If it wasn’t for Desean & Lesean mouthing off in the locker room how Vick was their man and starter, Chip Kelly would have gone with foles right away.
    But because of Cooper, he went with Vick to keep peace in the locker room, knowing that it would be a matter of time before he got hurt, and then Foles could take over with no flack in the locker room.

43. icdogg says: Aug 28, 2014 4:40 PM

Sometimes when you say something it doesn’t come out quite the way you meant it to. I suspect that was the case with Vick, here… he’s very proud of the leadership role he took on in that situation, as he deserves to be, and that was the larger point of what he wanted to say. Importance of second chances, just like he had, and all that.

The other part, about Cooper not returning his text, I’ll bet he wishes he didn’t say that. Because that was a minor thing to him.