Dolphins put Mike Pouncey on active 53-man roster

Mike+Pouncey+g0hwub0Gbh9m Getty Images

When Dolphins center Mike Pouncey needed offseason hip surgery, there was talk that he’d have to miss most of the season. But the Dolphins think he’ll be back soon.

The Dolphins released their roster cuts today, and the big news was that Pouncey wasn’t involved in any transactions. He is on the 53-man roster, rather than the physically unable to perform list. That means the Dolphins expect him to play at some point in the first six weeks of the season.

Players waived by the Dolphins on Saturday included DT Isaako Aaitui, G David Arkin, C Sam Brenner, WR Kevin Cone, G Evan Finkenburg, CB Kevin Fogg, S Jordan Kovacs, QB Seth Lobato, TE Kyle Miller, DE Tevin Mims, DE D’Aundre Reed, K Jake Rogers, DT Garrison Smith, LB Andrew Wilson and TE Evan Wilson. Rookie free agent Kamal Johnson was placed on injured reserve and veteran offensive lineman Tony Hills had his contract terminated.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Dolphins put Mike Pouncey on active 53-man roster”
  1. VenerableAxiom says: Aug 30, 2014 5:14 PM

Word is he’s looking at no later than game 4 against Oakland.

2. mrtullymars says: Aug 30, 2014 5:16 PM

I would look for Pouncey to be on IR-designated for return, but those transactions can’t be made until Tuesday.

3. 87hollywoodhorn says: Aug 30, 2014 5:19 PM

Pouncey got put on his rump last year when they came saw the whodats, I dont have the slightest idea what they’re planning to do with him this year. I hope theyre not trying to make him block, its obvious hes terrible at that

4. annes22 says: Aug 30, 2014 5:23 PM

Thank goodness for that the Dolphins need him badly.

5. politicallyincorrect says: Aug 30, 2014 5:38 PM

Pouncey is trash.. wish him nothing but the worst

6. largent80100 says: Aug 30, 2014 5:42 PM

You know you’re in trouble when your best o-linemen is an injury prone center who wears a free hernandez shirt.

7. 05flynt says: Aug 30, 2014 5:54 PM

Injury prone? Haha

8. beachsidejames says: Aug 30, 2014 5:56 PM

If he’s off the pup list he gets at least some work in. I would not be surprised to see him on the field Sept 21 against the chiefs.

9. jchipwood says: Aug 30, 2014 6:33 PM

With Brenner being waived I would find it hard to believe Pouncey would be out too much longer.

10. sclazo says: Aug 30, 2014 8:06 PM

Great news! I hope he gets back soon.

11. annes22 says: Aug 30, 2014 9:21 PM

You guys who have anything to say about Pouncy, go and worry about your own teams. He’s coming back sooner rather than later, and Dolphin fans couldn’t care less what you all have to say. You are probably fans of looser teams anyway.

12. 305phinphan says: Aug 31, 2014 5:01 AM

Yes Pouncey has made some bad moral decisions but for people to call him out on the field makes me wonder if they ever watched him play on Sundays. He is a beast and IMO a top three center in the league. Even more impressive is his work ethic to come back from major hip surgery a month and a half ahead of schedule.

Let’s not forget he is young and none of us were angels when we were younger and he has matured since being drafted by the Dolphins even though he has had a few bumps along the way. I’d take him on my team any day of the week and I’m glad he’s on my favorite franchise.

13. fishyinalittledishy says: Aug 31, 2014 6:14 AM

How some of you have the time to make childish remarks concerning a player who is trying to get back to the football field is beyond me. Get back to your colouring books and be good.