Panthers surprised Canadian tackle by keeping him on 53

IMG_0992-768x1024

Tackles who can actually play are a scarce commodity on the waiver wire.

So ones who even might be able to play get the benefit of the doubt.

The Panthers initially told Canadian product David Foucault they were going to cut him and bring him back to the practice squad. And that was enough to thrill the rookie who earned a camp invite after a tryout.

But according to Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, the Panthers grew concerned that Foucault would be claimed off waivers, so they kept him on their 53-man roster.

“I talked with my family and my friends to say the good news — I’m on the team, on the practice squad,” Foucault said. “After like two hours I get this phone call, and I was so excited. I called my parents back, and they started to cry and yell. . . .

“[The Panthers] can make another decision. But right now, they gave me this good news and I’m very happy.”

The 6-foot-8, 305-pound Foucault was a top-five pick in the CFL Draft out of the University of Montreal. He is still extremely raw, and probably wouldn’t be active for some time. The practice squad is likely the best place for him, and he could end up there later if the Panthers claim someone off waivers.

But at the moment, he’s an NFL player.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Panthers surprised Canadian tackle by keeping him on 53”
  1. sumkat says: Aug 31, 2014 9:43 AM

I like how, as excited as he clearly is, he still has his head about him. The “The Panthers could make another decision, but right now they gave me this good news and I’m happy”, may be the most down to earth comment I’ve ever seen from a player

2. qdog112 says: Aug 31, 2014 9:47 AM

Foucault might turn out to be a player some day, but anybody who thinks Dave Gettleman knows what he’s doing, hasn’t been paying attention.

From firing 1/3 of the team to giving away a player to NE, he’s in over his head.

3. vikesr4reel says: Aug 31, 2014 9:52 AM

Nice story for the young fella!
    Now if the Panthers could find a QB they would be set!!

4. doctorrustbelt says: Aug 31, 2014 10:24 AM

Maple syrup.

5. junkmtb says: Aug 31, 2014 10:53 AM

The comment about finding a QB coming from a vikings fan??!!! Now that’s funny!!

6. corkspop says: Aug 31, 2014 11:30 AM

It’s an interesting story and I hope he makes it. We just don’t see many players from Canadian schools.

7. completefan says: Aug 31, 2014 4:27 PM

Good for him. The Carabins program just keeps getting better and better and while they still aren’t at the level of the Rouge Et Or, they’re getting there.

8. fanme57 says: Sep 1, 2014 3:55 AM

So he won’t be on the Panther’s game day roster for a while… big deal, better than losing him on the waiver wire.